Linux-Misc Digest #235, Volume #25               Tue, 25 Jul 00 14:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: apache autostart on boot? ("Devon Harding")
  problems running Linux Mandrake in GUI
  Dev listings question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: porn filter for linux (Andrew Purugganan)
  Re: Cannot install Linux, any help appreciated (Dave Brown)
  Re: FTP Dependant on Telnet? (Rasputin)
  Linux verwendet UNIX 4.4 BSD (SUN) und SVR4 (AT&T) - kostenlos? ("Doni")
  SAIR-Zertifizierung ("Doni")
  Linux-CorelOffice - unbegrenzt einsetzbar? ("Doni")
  top (Jason Rotunno)
  Re: Linux verwendet UNIX 4.4 BSD (SUN) und SVR4 (AT&T) - kostenlos? (Florian Prucker)
  Re: Help! DNS-Problem! (Barry Margolin)
  Using "find /" on Linux? (Ramon F Herrera)
  Re: Using "find /" on Linux? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Weird  Redhat System Time problem (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Using "find /" on Linux? (Bob Tennent)
  Re: How do I let non-root users use StarOffice 5.2? (Massimo Boninsegni)
  Clueless Apache Admin Needs Help ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I change Resolution? (Jim Mcintyre)
  Re: cdrecord & Sony CRX140E (Mike)
  Redhat 6.2 and fork problem. Urgent Help needed!!!!!!!!!!!! ("Mohammad Khan")
  Re: Operating systems for personal-computers? (Kelly and Sandy)
  ps output (Claudia Bondila)
  filesystem messed up (Guido Aerts)
  Re: Can not log in using FTP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ./configure problem  (Michael Seringhaus)
  Re: Help! DNS-Problem! (Steffen 'Mugge' Chmil)
  Re: filesystem messed up (DeAnn Iwan)
  Re: Operating systems for personal-computers? (Kelly and Sandy)

From: "Devon Harding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: apache autostart on boot?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:33:37 -0400

When I do a:

chkconfig --list httpd

I get:

[root@santa /root]# chkconfig --list httpd

error reading information on service httpd: No such file or directory

but I can run '/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd ' and it runs

-Devon

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems running Linux Mandrake in GUI
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:30:03 GMT

hello again... sorry to bother you one more time with my questions..
I couldnt get my linux mandrake 7.1 to start on a GUI interface, because
when i typed startx in the console, the action looked as if was going to
work but at the end it gave me an error message. After rebooting a couple
of times and typing startx or xinit, i gave up and reinstall the whole
thing again. After the reboot i came up in the X interface and even i
rebooted the system once and came up fine.. The problem started when i
shut down the system. Later when i turned on my computer it didnt go to
the X interface but in the console. I tried giving all types of commands
and still would give me the error message. Can somebody help me? I'm
running Linux in a Gateway 9150  366 Mhz 10 Gb drive 96Mb RAM DVD drive
SuperDisk Drive.

Thanks for your help!!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dev listings question
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:27:46 GMT

I have a Redhat 6.1 machine that I have installed an Adaptec 2930 SCSI
card in.  Redhat detected the card and I think it installed the kernal
add on correctly.  Attached to this SCSI card I have an 8mm tape drive
and an SCSI hard drive.  I am trying to figure out if any of the
entries under /dev actually point to the devices attached to the SCSI
card.  I have tried doing a tar to any st* or nst* listing under dev
and I get no drive activity.

Is there a way to find out what dev entries go to what devices and if
Linux has made the link?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: porn filter for linux
Date: 25 Jul 2000 14:25:49 GMT

shane ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:51:10 GMT, "Mike Murphy"
[ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[ >Is anybody awhere of any porn filter solution available for Linux ? (Man
[ >7.1)
[ >

[ You mean a porn-web filter? Look at squid. It's a httpd proxy.
[ You can filter/alienate domains with patern matching with it.

DOes anybody have a list of domains, so that uhm...I can alienate them
using squid...yeah, that's it...i have to configure it you know ;-)
my PC, that is...

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cannot install Linux, any help appreciated
Date: 25 Jul 2000 09:54:59 -0500

In article <D2Oe5.2606$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Schumacher wrote:
>I am having a problem installing Linux (tried four distributions thus far).
>Keeping the differences between distributions in mind, basically what is
>happening is that the installers either a) freeze at language selection or
>b) the keyboard and mouse will not work in the installer.  I can't tell for

I hate to suggest this, but if you can forego the pretty graphical installer,
you might try the "text" install of RH 6.2.  As the various distros have
"improved" their hardware sniffing capability, they've also increased the
possibility of getting hung up on a particular hardware condition.  The
text install skips some of the hardware sniffing, since it doesn't require
a graphical display or a mouse.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Subject: Re: FTP Dependant on Telnet?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:04:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <Andrew Purugganan> wrote:
>Fester ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>[ Okay, this is a little weird. Since I've installed SSH on my system, I
>[ have no reason to use telnet anymore. Therefore commented out the line
>[ that enables telnet in /etc/inetd.conf, and sent inetd the SIGHUP to
>[ refresh it's config.
>
>[ $ ftp
>[ ftp> open localhost
>[ Connected to localhost.
>
>[ And here, it hangs. Once I re-enable telnet, it works fine.
>
>[ What's going on here? Can I turn off telnet and keep ftp working?
>
>I know that my book on Linux mentioned inetd has to be up for either one
>to work. In your case, it's probably just a matter of configuring or
>blocking telnet using, I think, /etc/hosts.something-or-other

It's possible that you munged the inetd.conf file somehow;
is inetd still running?
(Sounds like it, or you wouldn't get the connected message..?)

My guess would still be a problem with the config file, though..
I can't see how telnet and ftp are related,other than they're both
spawned from inetd.

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

From: "Doni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux verwendet UNIX 4.4 BSD (SUN) und SVR4 (AT&T) - kostenlos?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:52:03 +0200

Wer kann mir bitte erklären, warum der Linuxkernel copyleft vertrieben wird,
obwohl er auf kommerziellen UNIX-OS basiert? Danke!

------------------------------

From: "Doni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SAIR-Zertifizierung
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:53:20 +0200

Wer hat bereits eine SAIR-Zertifizierung abgelegt und kann mir darüber
berichten? Danke!

------------------------------

From: "Doni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux-CorelOffice - unbegrenzt einsetzbar?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:00:00 +0200

Kann ich 1 CorelOffice-Paket offiziell auf mehreren Schulungs-PCs einsetzen
oder ist für jeden PC 1 Paket bzw. 1 Lizenz zu kaufen? In wie weit kann das
Paket verändert und weitergegeben werden? Unterliegt es der GNU-GPL? Danke!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Rotunno)
Subject: top
Date: 25 Jul 2000 15:15:43 GMT

I have a question about top.  When I run the command here's the top
portion of the output:

 7:09am  up  3:02,  1 user,  load average: 0.46, 0.99, 0.77
CPU states:  4.7% user, 11.0% system,  0.0% nice, 84.1% idle
Mem:  1036072K av, 371368K used, 664704K free, 216244K shrd, 256908K buff
Swap: 273088K av,      0K used, 273088K free                 32408K cached

So 371368K of 1036072K of memory is being used or about 35 - 36%.  I then
did a top -b > resource to list all the processes.  I added up the %MEM
column which only comes out to about 15%.  Anyone know why there's a
discrepancy?  Does top not list all processes running?

Would top catch a memory leak?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Florian Prucker)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:38:59 GMT

Doni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Wer kann mir bitte erklären, warum der Linuxkernel copyleft vertrieben wird,
>obwohl er auf kommerziellen UNIX-OS basiert? Danke!

*loooooooooool*, das kann nur ein outlook-lolli schreiben

mfg flo

--
Standards sind langweilig. Wer sich strikt an HTML et cetera hält,
zeigt, dass er noch kein Profi ist. Ein Bild sagt mehr als tausend

------------------------------

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: Help! DNS-Problem!
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:51:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steffen 'Mugge' Chmil  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>> knew; otherwise, how do you know that they're even forwarding in the first
>> place?
>
>I suppose this because the authorized name-servers hosts always the
>right records & when
>I resolve the ip from different networks, nslookup on network 1 gives
>back always(!) the right ip and responds quickly to nameserver changes,
>a computer on network 2 give sometimes the right/false ip and need much
>longer (hours) to respond to changed nameserver entries.

That doesn't sound like evidence of forwarding.  Even a forwarding name
server caches the results it got.  It only forwards when the data isn't in
its cache, which is the same circumstances that a non-forwarding server
will query one of the registered servers.

It sounds more like the servers on network 1 are stealth secondary servers,
not forwarding servers.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Genuity, Burlington, MA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ramon F Herrera)
Subject: Using "find /" on Linux?
Date: 25 Jul 2000 15:59:59 GMT

Every time I try to run the "find" comand from the top,
I get the following error message:

 find: /proc/5/fd: Permission denied

and the search stops.

How can I work around this?

Thanks,

-Ramon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Using "find /" on Linux?
Date: 25 Jul 2000 16:21:40 GMT

On 25 Jul 2000 15:59:59 GMT, Ramon F Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Every time I try to run the "find" comand from the top,
>I get the following error message:
>
> find: /proc/5/fd: Permission denied
>
>and the search stops.
>
>How can I work around this?

Ignore it.  If it realy bothers you you can reconfigure the kernel
and remove the md stuff.  The md driver creates a kernel daemon, with
and invalid filsystem structure.  This is a bug in the md driver.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Weird  Redhat System Time problem
Date: 25 Jul 2000 16:26:59 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:15:07 GMT, David Brodmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well when I did this and restarted the system it had this effect:
>The timestamps on the actual files were the correct, current local
>time.  However, now when I checked the date and the times actually
>logged to the log files, they were actually 4 hours behind.  I don't
>understand where it is getting this time difference from.  Any other
>ideas?  Thanks for your help.
>Dave

On unix systems file time stamps are always UTC time; the ls will convert
this to wall clock time before displaying the time stamp.  The system
clock is also always UTC time and the date command will convert that to
wall clock time when displaying the date.  Therefore the time you see
with the date command and the ls command will be influenced by the TZ
variable.

$ date
Tue Jul 25 18:26:03 CEST 2000
$ TZ=UTC0 date
Tue Jul 25 16:26:03 UTC 2000
$ ls -dl /etc
drwxr-xr-x  31 root     root         4096 Jul 24 19:09 /etc
$ TZ=UTC0 ls -dl /etc
drwxr-xr-x  31 root     root         4096 Jul 24 17:09 /etc

--
Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Date: 25 Jul 2000 16:42:56 GMT

On 25 Jul 2000 15:59:59 GMT, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

 >Every time I try to run the "find" comand from the top,
 >I get the following error message:
 >
 > find: /proc/5/fd: Permission denied
 >
 >and the search stops.

The search doesn't stop.  To hide the warning messages, use

find / .... 2> /dev/null

(assuming you use bash).

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Massimo Boninsegni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,alt.os.linux.cadera
Subject: Re: How do I let non-root users use StarOffice 5.2?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:38:35 GMT

writes:

> You must read the readme.

Done it. Back and forth.

> You must install SOffice (SO) as root, with the -net option.

Done that. I did so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin -net

> This installs the 200 or so MB of stuff whereever you tell it to.
It sure does.

> Then you must make sure that it is readable by all
> chmod -R  a+rX staroffice-directory

Done that too.

> Then each user must run staroffice-directory/program/setup
> to install about 2MB of files in thier own directory.

That doesn't work for me. After completing the installation
I log in as user and try to launch StarOffice, with
/usr/local/Office52/program/soffice

When I do that, it looks as if the thing is trying to install
itself again. I get a message saying that StarOffice 5.2 is already
installed, and that if I want I can deinstall it using the ``local
setup program''. I assume that is /usr/local/Office52/program/setup
but that gives me the same thing.

I tried to run  /usr/local/Office52/program/setup.bin but I get an
error message, namely

/usr/local/Office52/program/setup.bin: error in loading shared
libraries: libvos1GCC.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Massimo Boninsegni
Department of Physics
San Diego State University
http://rainbow.sdsu.edu/~massimob

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Clueless Apache Admin Needs Help
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:36:46 GMT

I'm sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I could not find it.

Yes, I know this is old software, but it will have to do for now.

I am running RedHat Linux 5.0 with Apache 1.2.4 on an old pentium
system.

I can't for the life of me get the server to hand out .doc files in such
a way that the browser requesting the file asks the user if he wants to
save the file or launch it. It actually worked once, and I can't figure
out why it won't work again. Now it only downloads an empty file or
launches Word with a blank document.

The Appache error_log log file is giving me this error:

[Mon Jul 24 08:38:39 2000] access to
/home/sfs/public_html/SFS/Docs/PC/5.05/5.05
UNINSTALL.doc failed for 130.224.20.84, reason: malformed header from
script. Bad header=**^Q*_SD 3/4^Z*

My /etc/mime.types files has this entry:

application/msword                    doc

My /etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf file has this entry:

AddHandler send-as-is doc
AddType application/msword doc

Can anyone recommend a good book on this sort of thing?

Any help/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Conrad Frank

From: Jim Mcintyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I change Resolution?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:54:49 GMT

Hi Lamar

The easiest way to change resolution is to run "XF86Setup", as root.

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: cdrecord & Sony CRX140E
Date: 25 Jul 2000 11:09:36 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernie):
> Hi out there,
>
> I have a problem with a CD-writer by Sony (CRX-140E)

If this is a parallel port drive, did you make sure mode is EPP and delay is 0?

--
Mike

------------------------------

From: "Mohammad Khan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 6.2 and fork problem. Urgent Help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:23:39 -0500

Hi,
    We have a customer who is using our paging software, which uses the cu
command to connect to paging terminals. Our Software uses the fork command
and pipes to call and communicate with cu command, respectively. This
software runs fine on Redhat 5.x and 6.0 version, but on 6.2 version, it as
soon as it calls cu, it get SIGCHLD signals as shown below from the logfile.

07/21 12:20:06 call_Comm: Connecting to 18007596366
07/21 12:20:06 call_Comm: cu_pid = 19219
07/21 12:20:06 expect: Expect (Connected)
07/21 12:20:06 call_Comm: /usr/bin/cu -e  -s 1200 18007596366
07/21 12:20:06 catcher: SIGCHLD
07/21 12:20:06 catcher: SIGCHLD: fclose(fp_in)
07/21 12:20:06 catcher: SIGCHLD: fclose(fp_out)
07/21 12:20:06 delete_Comm: Checking disconnect status
07/21 12:20:06 delete_Comm: Comm->cu_pid=19219.
07/21 12:20:06 delete_Comm: Sending cu SIGTERM(1)
07/21 12:20:16 delete_Comm: Sending cu SIGKILL(1)
07/21 12:20:16 delete_Comm: Setting cu_wont_die signal
07/21 12:20:16 catcher: before signal catcher
07/21 12:20:16 catcher: returning from catcher
07/21 12:20:16 expect: Comm->buf(()
07/21 12:20:16 call_Comm: Couldn't connect to 18007596366
07/21 12:20:16 new_Comm: back from :call_Comm(rtn=false)
07/21 12:20:16 new_Comm: Attempt failed to SkyTel_800
07/21 12:20:16 delete_Comm: Checking disconnect status

    Does anybody has similar problems with fork command on RedHat 6.2? Is
this problem due to some missing libraries or there is some other cause for
it.

I apologize, if this is not the right newsgroup to ask this question, if
this is the case, please direct my to the appropriate web site and/or
newsgroup.

From: Kelly and Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.lang.oberon,comp.os.lynx,comp.os.mach,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.psion.misc
Subject: Re: Operating systems for personal-computers?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:31:09 +0100

In a alt.os.linux.mandrake newsletter entitled "Operating systems for
personal-computers?", Chas2K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>So in your search for alternative OSes, look at the BSDs. They are a
>hardy breed, just not user friendly during the installation. But once I
>have it up, I use fvwm95 as the window manager for my wife and kids.
>Looks like Windoze and they can use it without too much training (my 10
>year old daughter even prefers vi editor at the command line. Weird kid,
>but then so do I).

    Thanks  for  your  invaluable  advice  about  BSD (unix) as a viable
operating system for desktop computers.

With kind regards,

Sandy

/*               C A U T I O N   E X P L O S I V E   B O L T S
--                       REMOVE BEFORE ENGAGING REPLY
//
//  Kelly and Sandy Anderson  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
//  (alternatively             kelsan_odoodle at ya who period, see oh em)
//  Alexander (Sandy)   1B5A DF3D A3D9 B932 39EB  3F1B 981F 4110 27E1 64A4
//  Kelly               673F 6751 6DBA 196F E8A8  6D87 4AEC F35E E9AD 099B
//  Homepages              http://www.explosive-alma-services-bolts.co.uk/
*/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Claudia Bondila)
Subject: ps output
Date: 25 Jul 2000 17:39:46 GMT

Can someone tell me what is the difference between:

100 S bruceb   13313 13309  0  60   0    -   584 read_c Jul17 pts/2    00:00:00 [tcsh]
100 S fja      14496 14492  0  60   0    -   624 read_c Jul17 pts/4    00:00:00 -tcsh

What the right brackets mean?

Thanks,
Claudia

From: Guido Aerts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: filesystem messed up
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:32:39 +0200

hi all,
I flurked my filesystem, thoughtlessly, deleting a whole hard disk, then
changing its filesystem-type from ext2 to VFat, all without unmounting,
then I shut down without even unmounting my cdrom.
If that isn't looking for trouble :-(
Can anyone tell me if it is possible at all (and how, please) to correct
all this?
E2fsck is not doing the job.
Hopefully waiting...
cu,
guido

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can not log in using FTP
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:42:44 +0200

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:10:34 +0100, "Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I can log in with telnet to my machine, but not with ftp, anybody
>> knows how ???
>>
>> ftp> open mato.demon.nl
>> Connected to mato.demon.nl.
>> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>> ftp>
>Hi,
>
>This is a clue... It would seem that when you install a RedHat
>Workstation some server applications do not get installed and the ftp
>server is one of them. That said I did a 'custom' installation of RH6.1
>and didn't get the server either - Ho-Hum.

Same for me: also tried a 'custom' install, made sure that wu-ftpd was
selected, but it didn`t get installed. Is this typical for all
distributions, or is this irritating mess only with RedHat ?

>Your config files are correct, check to see if the ftp server package is
>installed (rpm -q wu-ftpd). If not then install it from the CD or get it
>from Rufus (http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM).

It wasn`t installed, so I browsed the cd, and managed to find it, then
installed it, rebooted, and now I get message:

"connect:, no buffer space available".

Think it is enough for today, no more free time left...

>If you want root ftp access and can live with the security implications
>then remove the root entry from /etc/ftpusers

Thanks for information  :-))

Manuel Otto  -  http://www.mato.demon.nl

------------------------------

From: Michael Seringhaus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ./configure problem
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:06:45 GMT

I am having a problem running ./configure on an install program that
works on other machines  (I've installed the package fine on another
linux machine)

it worked fine on a SuSE machine with:
./configure
make
make install

But I am NOW trying to install it on a new RedHat 6.1 system (i686,
PIII-800EB), and it is not working. First, it told me it couldn't find
my cc/gcc compiler. So, I went online to redhat RPMS and installed
egcs-1.1.2-30.i386.rpm (and all the dependent modules it asked for), so
I now have (apparently) a working gcc compiler.

But now, when I tell it

./configure

it does a lot of tests (i.e. checking to see if gcc works .... yes,
checking to see if timestamp accepts input.... yes, etc etc for about 2
minutes) , and exits without an error, but then "make" does not work (it
says "make: command not found"). It seems to be running all the
preliminary tests but never getting around to creating the "make" file
for the program I want to install (it looks like the compiler is
installing itself!) Do you have any idea why it's doing that? How can
I make ./configure work properly on the desired program? (of course, i
run ./configure in the directory of the program i want to install, just
as I'm supposed to, and ./configure doesn't work in other directories,
suggesting it is TRYING to work with what's in the current dir...)

Any ideas, fixes, other ways to install gcc, anything -- i need to have
this prog installed!

Any help MUCH appreciated asap
Thanks

-ms

------------------------------

From: Steffen 'Mugge' Chmil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,comp.unix.admin
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:56:58 +0200

Barry Margolin wrote:
> That doesn't sound like evidence of forwarding.  Even a forwarding name
> server caches the results it got.  It only forwards when the data isn't in
> its cache, which is the same circumstances that a non-forwarding server
> will query one of the registered servers.
>
> It sounds more like the servers on network 1 are stealth secondary servers,
> not forwarding servers.

The interval right/bad ip on network 2 is longer than a normal
cache-update interval. It seems to be that [ns2] is in
forward-only-mode, although the registered servers have updated with new
records, [ns2] needs hours to get the new information (as long as I get
"...can't find x.y.z. : Server failed").
Difficult is the circumstance, that some dial-ins are in this network
and the clients don't get their www-pages... This users unfortunately
must use [ns2].

It seems to be the only way to contact admin by admin to solve this
problem...

> --
> Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

regards Steffen

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: filesystem messed up
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:03:52 -0400

   If all you did to "change the file system type" was use fdisk to call
the ext2 partition a vfat partition, then using fdisk again should
invert this.  But if you have done a format or makefilesystem, then I
don't know if recovery is possible (barring exotic tools for data
recovery like the spooks use)....mind you, I don't know that it is
difficult, either.  I've been able to recover botched partition tables
by rewriting them correctly.  But that was without writing anything else
to the botched partiions in the interim.

------------------------------

From: Kelly and Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.lang.oberon,comp.os.lynx,comp.os.mach,comp.os.misc,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.psion.misc
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:00:01 +0100

In a alt.os.linux.mandrake newsletter entitled "Operating systems for
personal-computers?", Alt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>Ok, you could compare my with Scottish, but tell me what do you mean, in you
>set of words.
>
>AND. It's nice that you know that Ukraine is.
>But Tolstoi wasn't Ukrainian.
>Pushkin (Harmatny) was, Gogol (Yanowsky) was, but Tolstoi wasn't, at all!

    Sorry  state  of  affairs  in  former  Soviet Union.  Sorry state of
affairs everywhere.  Sorry for  these  are  the  new  Dark  Ages  again.
Sorry.

With best wishes,