Linux-Misc Digest #235, Volume #21               Sat, 31 Jul 99 16:13:12 EDT

Contents:
  a (GUI) spreadsheet with Perl API ? (Jan Vicherek)
  Re: Professional Sound / Digital Audio Support for Linux? (Thorsten Ohl)
  Re: Power off on shutdown (BIOS problem?) (Andreas Hinz)
  Re: copying files over a network (Frank da Cruz)
  Re: copying files over a network (Leonard Evens)
  Re: SB PCI 128 Config (megasurg)
  Dosemu installation problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help with shutdown script ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Need answer on ext2fs inode mode flag ("Elliot Spencer")
  Re: Diffs between RH 5.2 and 6.0 (Leonard Evens)
  Re: "You have new mail" (William Burrow)
  Re: Posting MS Project 98 schedules on GNU/Linux +Apache ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: CIA assassinations (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: Real player G2 beta for linux (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Magic SysRq (was Re: Linux has finally crashed) (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: What I think of linux. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux as a dial-up gateway (Mark Brown)
  Re: copying files over a network (Bob Koss)
  Re: spin down HDD (xander)
  icecast-1.0.0

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Vicherek)
Crossposted-To: uw.linux
Subject: a (GUI) spreadsheet with Perl API ?
Date: 31 Jul 1999 16:33:30 GMT

  Heyya,

    does anybody know of a spreadsheet, or even better a GUI
spreadsheet like applix, etc.,  that would have the capability
of being manipulated through a Perl API ? (Or some other
high-level scripting language) ? Even just plain read, write
and recalculate functions would be enough.

   Thx,

     -- Jan

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@*RemoveTheStars*hep.tu-darmstadt.de>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Professional Sound / Digital Audio Support for Linux?
Date: 31 Jul 1999 19:40:20 +0200

I wrote:

> I received mine yesterday and had less than 24h to play with it, but
> so far, I like it.

I have found problems with /dev/sequencer.  As long as I talk directly
to /dev/midi?? and do the timing on my own, everything is fine, but
the driver can hang in /dev/sequencer (which is the interface used by
playmidi or rosegarden).  Whether this is a problem peculiar to my
multiprocessor machine has to be determined, but it appears to be a
software problem.  The card itself is working great ...
--
Thorsten Ohl, Physics Department, TU Darmstadt -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://heplix.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de/~ohl/ [<=== PGP public key here]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Hinz)
Subject: Re: Power off on shutdown (BIOS problem?)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:05:21 GMT

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:58:36 +1200, Ciprian Toader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>command="halt"

I use Suse6.0 and after kernel upgrade to 2.2.x, I have changed

rc.d/halt:    command="halt -p"
rc.d/reboot:  command="halt -p"

to make it work.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Andreas Hinz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Subject: Re: copying files over a network
Date: 31 Jul 1999 18:23:34 GMT

In article <7nvbb1$rg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Scott Lanning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Bob Koss ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: : I'd like to copy (recursively) files and directories from my
: : laptop to my desktop for backup purposes. It seems there should
: : be an easier way to do it than to fire up ftp, login to the desktop,
: : and do a put.
:
: Really? Oh, maybe you mean doing a put for each individual file? That
: would be tedious fer sure, dude.
:
: man ftp, look at the mput command. You can do wildcard expansion
: with it.
:
Or use C-Kermit instead of FTP, which can send files all the files in a
directory tree with one command, replicating the tree on the far end.  See:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck70.html

And for a specific example of synchronizing two directory trees:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

(see the "synchronize" script).

And if you can't get a TCP/IP connection, it works the same way on a
regular dialup.

- Frank

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:05:43 -0500

Bob Koss wrote:

> Easy newbie question...
>
> I'd like to copy (recursively) files and directories from my laptop to my desktop
>for backup purposes. It seems there should be an easier way to do it than to fire up
>ftp, login to the desktop, and do a put.

> Robert Koss, Ph.D.  | Object Mentor, Inc.    | Tel: (800) 338-6716
> Senior Consultant   | 14619 N Somerset Cr    | Fax: (847) 918-1023
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]      | Green Oaks IL 60048    | www.objectmentor.com

If permissions are set properly in /etc/hosts.allow, you should
be able to use rcp.  But I would strongly recommend instead
getting the secure shell and using scp instead.   Again, you have
to give permission in /etc/hosts.allow as in

sshd: A_string_which_includes_your_machine

on the machine you are copying from.  Of course both machines
have to have the secure shell installed.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: megasurg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: SB PCI 128 Config
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:34:37 GMT

I have one of these cards (SB PCI128) and am also using SuSE linux but
if I use either the ES1370 or ES1371 drivers it still doesn't work.  I
mainly use it to play cd music and it work previously with my other
card.  Anyone have any ideas?  Do I need to check OSS modules as well?
Can I check both of the ES137x drivers and have linux use whichever one
should work right?  Please help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dosemu installation problems
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:03:45 GMT

I'm having problems when I run dosemu (version 0.99.6). When I start it,
it aborts showing the following message:

Error in /var/lib/dosemu/global.conf: (line 604) Disk-device/file
/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first doesn't exist.

I looked around for some info about it on some discussion groups, and
someone asked to run ./setup-hdimage script, but I couldn't find it. So,
what can I do to try to solve this problem?

Any help is appreciated,

Rodrigo Mas

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help with shutdown script
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:42:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to make a shudown script that will halt the system from
> within x windows.  What I'm trying to do is open up an xterm to prompt
> for the root password and once the password's typed in will shut down
> the system.  Somthing like:
>
> xterm -e su # open xterm with pass prompt
>
> after password is given, while xterm open, execute
>
> /sbin/shutdown -h now
>
> done

Just do:

xterm -e su -c "/sbin/shutdown -h now"

and it should do what you want.

Perry

From: "Elliot Spencer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need answer on ext2fs inode mode flag
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:55:22 +0100

Hi, I'm currently putting together some filesystem utilities for Linux
Ext2fs.

I have a question on the inode mode flag values. I've come across some
inodes with a directory or file name spread across the bytes usually
reserved for the data block pointers and indirectors. The mode flag is
nearly always set to x'A1FF' for these inodes. Does anyone know if these are
indicative of symbolic links ? According to the documentation I have they
should be Sockets ? What are sockets in this context ?

Any help or any pointers to interesting articles on ext2fs much appreciated.

--

Regards, Elliot Spencer

Email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(remove _nospam to mail me)
Home page http://www.spnc.demon.co.uk
(covers VB, REXX, 80x86 Asm, SQL and Oracle).

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diffs between RH 5.2 and 6.0
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:45:30 -0500

Narendra Ravi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What are the main differences between RH 5.2 and 6.0 apart from
> the kernel (2.0.x to 2.2.x)?
>
> I'm running RH 4.2 and have been happy as it is fairly stable for
> my development needs. It does have lots of newer software tho.
>
> Please post if this is not frequently asked, else I request an email
> message.
>
> Thank you,
>
>  -- Narendra Ravi     Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The kernel is of course a big difference.  And with any
release, you get lots of bug fixes.  (You also get new bugs
of course, but so far the 6.0 list does not seem unusually
large.)

Also, RH6.0 comes with gnome and is the first release
really designed to use gnome.   There are also other nice
features.  For example, with 6.0, I can shut off machines
with power management where I wasn't able to do so under
5.2.   I like the way the boot sequence indicates
in color which services started and which failed.  It makes
it much easier to track something wrong.   On the down side,
6.0 seems to take up much more space than 5.2, but part of
that is gnome.

There are not that many differences between 4.2 and 5.2, and
5.2 has some advantages.  For example the mkbootdisk command
allows you to make a boot disk which can be used with a floppy
copied from rescue.img in the distribution for rescue and
diagnosing problems.   I would definitely recommend upgrading
to 5.2 at least, and also upgrading at least the security
related packages listed in RedHat's Errata web page.   I found
5.2 one of the most stable releases with relatively few problems.
One slightly annoying one was that it got time zone information
wrong for US/Central, which we had to replace with Canada/Central.

But of course there are always problems that accrue as your
release gets more and more out of sync with what others are
using.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: "You have new mail"
Date: 31 Jul 1999 17:19:43 GMT

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:46:00 GMT,
david grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sometime ago I saw the way to stop the  sendmail daemon from sending
>messages to the spool file at startup on RH6.0 but unfortunately I
>never saved the response.

This must be a RH thing, as I've never seen it in Debian or Slack.  You
might find a clue in the From: address, but possibly it is generated
somewhere in the rc.* startup files.  A grep for sendmail in the the
appropriate directory might pick it out (on Debian, /etc/init.d/ has the
startup sequence).

>I have tried all the X-windows based linux email programs but the only
>decent one catering for multiple pop servers is XFMail, which crashes
>and is not being maintained. I have also used Mahogany but I prefer to
>be logged in as root on a standalone PC and this (unbelieveably is not
>catered for).

Quite believably, this is not catered for.  Running as root all the time
is undesirable.  Setup a user account and use su or sudo instead.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Posting MS Project 98 schedules on GNU/Linux +Apache
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:47:22 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9907301758370.26981-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I have just put together a Linux server for the office. Email, Samba
> > and apache works well, but... I can't find any way to enable
Microsoft
> > Project 98 to "share" our projects on the server. I've tried to use
the
> > web options of the program but it doesn't work.
> > Is it possible to solve this problems or I'm forced to use a
MicroSoft
> > server ??
>
> what about NOT using M$ on the client side ?!
>                                                   Gerald
I'm new to the office, and it cost me more than one month to convince
my boss to let me setup a linux box to use as an IntraNET server...
In this company they have just heard about linux and what I want to do
right now it's let them see that linux can be a solution, not a
problem...

BTW there is any program like MS Project for Linux? I've searched on
the net without luck.

Best Regards

PIETRO

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:15:23 GMT

On 31 Jul 1999 12:50:06 -0400, Donovan Rebbechi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:52:25 +0200, A.T.Z. wrote:
>>Donovan Rebbechi schreef:
>>Do I claim ALL; NO. But it is happening.
>
>Yes, but you offer *no* evidence that the scale on which it is
>happening is large enough to damage those economies. In fact it could
>even help them, by offloading the grunt work overseas, and creating
>more skilled jobs at home.
>
>> An example taken direct from the real >word.
>
>Ah, yes. "proof by anecdote". Try again, and provide some concrete
>evidence that this is hurting the Netherlands.
>
>>as low as $4 per hour for the same activity. The clothing industry
>>takes full advantage of this. And I know others too.
>
>See Brownes post regarding why it doesn't hurt to move parts of the
>textiles industry off shore.

If you read *that* into what I said, you misread it.

I didn't try to generalize about the textiles industry; indeed, I'd
tend to agree with the contention that much of textiles industries
*are* relocating, as they involve kinds of goods that are well-suited
to this.

The way clothing is sold, it often is economical to move sectors
"offshore."  This arguably may hurt domestic textiles makers, and the
domestic workers involved in it.

>>For some companies it's difficult to split activities. And don't forget, it
>>takes some time before a large company can close a factory and build
>>a new one in another country.
>
>Yes, but you've only offered a theory.
>
>And the theory seems to be quite a shaky one. For example, the cost
>of labour in the USA is extremely high ( much higher than anywhere in
>Asia besides Japan and Singapore ). So why isn't the US's economy
>dying ? You provide theories, but no evidence that the economy has
>been hurt.
>
>Most importantly, the only examples you give are those of cheap
>labour being moved off shore, while the professional jobs stay inside
>the US.

The textiles industry is an interesting example to cite, as it is
reasonably arguable that domestic production has suffered as a result
of production moving offshore.

This cannot be left in a vacuum; it represents only one economic
sector.

As soon as you start trying to compare effects in multiple sectors,
the complexity of the comparison increases substantially, particularly
because they tend to have quite independent behaviour.

- It's easy to point out some laid-off textiles workers, and suggest a
  negative scenario by ignoring the rest of the economy.

- It's easy to talk about "job creation," and ignore cases where
  people have indeed been injured by the way the economy has evolved.

Looking at GDP is either a useful countereffect, or a dramatically
useless exercise.

GDP is useful to the extent that it provides some semblance of overall
results.  Thus, if several things happened, and the GDP went up, then
it would appear that the net result was economic growth.
Alternatively, if GDP fell, the net result of the several events was
economic decline.

GDP is useless as a comparison between economies, in much the way TCO is
useless as a comparison between Network Operating Systems, in that it
makes up aggregates that are immensely unlikely to be usefully
comparable.

Just as a TCO measure for Windows NT is not likely to be usefully
comparable to a TCO calculation for Novell Netware, the GDP of Burma
is not usefully comparable to the GDP of Belgium.  They result from
vastly different phenomena, and the proper analysis is of those
phenomena, not on some made-up aggregate.

--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #41. "I will not fly into a rage and kill a
messenger who brings me bad news just to illustrate how evil I really

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Real player G2 beta for linux
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:52:05 -0500

Bev wrote:

> It looked like the right place, but I didn't want to fill in all the
> crap again just to test.
>
> http://proforma.real.com/mario/player/player.html <fill-in stuff
> snipped>
> brought me to a page where I could select the closest server to download
> G2 for linux 2.0/2.2.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev
> "Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."
>                                              -- George Orwell

The proper link is
www.real.com/products/player/linux.html
Or at least this worked yesterday.  They do keep changing it
though.  The page indicates this is an alpha release, but the
rpm file you get says it is a beta release.   It seems to work,
except we have not been able to read files from one of our
favorite sources that were accessible under their 5.0 release
for realplayer.  This may be a problem with the provider of
the files rather than RealPlayer.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To:  comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Magic SysRq (was Re: Linux has finally crashed)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:26:36 GMT

On 31 Jul 1999 17:41:52 GMT, William Burrow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 05:13:39 GMT,
>Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:16:12 -0700, Tom Emerson
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>An interesting thing about this is that the net effect of all of this
>>is that the user does not actually communicate directly to the
>>mainframe; all communications goes through that "terminal controller"
>>proxy.
>
>Modern PCs are WinComputers to mainframers. :)  (Like WinModems....)

Fair enough :-)

>>With mainframe systems, changes are collected up at the "client end."
>>That 327x terminal is "smart enough" to allow you to do a fair bit of
>>editing of text and so forth aboard the terminal.
>>
>>When you press "RETURN," all of those changes are collected together
>>into a single block of data.
>
>I once worked on a puny HP3000 of late 80's vintage.  This machine had
>60 people hanging off it in the morning, while processing dozens of
>database requests.  Response time for editing was excellent, however.
>Mostly due to the fact that the hardware had (and used) blocking IO for
>the terminals.
>
>In comparison, a much more powerful similar vintage VAX with polling IO
>would be unusable for editing with just 30 people logged on.  DECserver
>terminal controllers were the order of the day for that installation.
>Much more efficient.
>

>Is anybody up for designing FreeMVS?  It seems a real pity to let the
>era of mainframe machines slip away to big backroom servers that only
>grizzled COBOL programmers get to use.... ;)

The more proper goal is to have the PC's on the desks be powerful
enough to do a *bit* of transaction management, and marshall up blocks
of data to be submitted asynchronously en masse to servers upstream.

Writing software using message queueing...  The local software lets
the user poll it, but then blocks requests to push 'em upstream.

Note that this is *not* foreign to UNIX; people running MUD systems
(multi user dungeon) have been doing this for years just to implement
games...

--
"...and scantily clad females, of course.  Who cares if it's below zero
outside" -- Linus Torvalds

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:06:31 GMT

39 year old BSEE here. I wrote the typical Fortran programs in college
also (fibonacci sequence etc) using punched cards,but my first love
was my TRS-80.
Went to Atari, Commodore, IBM etc and survived DOS 1.0 Windows 2.0 and
OS/2 1.0 through WARP.

Your points make good sense to me and your reasons for using Linux are
sound and logical from my perspective anyhow.

Personally I find Windows sufficient in that I am a lazy SOB these
days and prefer the no brain, install it and away you go approach.

I do appreciate the Linux philosophy and currently I am running
Caldera 2.2 on a partition in my home network. It brings me back to
those days of tweaking Config.sys files, hacking the ROMBIOS to add
1.44mb floppy support (the hidden IBM Option!!) and so forth.
I will admit that I at least have an idea where things have made their
homes on my Linux system and it does seem somewhat logical to me.
It is a pain in the butt however to have to keep looking up how to do
even the most minute task, but I am getting better at it.

I don't feel that this will be what pushes Linux along in the home
market though, but is a good thing for the server market instead. What
will garner support for Linux at home will be price, ease of use and
lastly freedom of choice.

Computers are available for "free" right now if you sign up for one of
those idiotic SPAM contracts. I would suggest that a Linux system,
complete with full Office Suite pre loaded could sell for $400 USD or
so and allow users freedom to choose their ISP. Where I live free
access is available through the libraries. Games are not an issue
since Sony etc make great machines.

Well that's my opinion.

Comments?

lou

------------------------------

From: Mark Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux as a dial-up gateway
Date: 31 Jul 1999 20:01:14 +0100

"Jose Alcino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have to setup a linux box to be used as a gateway for many computers using
> one dial-up connection, kind of what wingate does on windows. I know it has
> something to do with enablilng IP masquerading on the kernel, and maybe IP
> forwarding, but I don't know what else I have to do,. I know there's a

You will also need to enable forwarding and masquerading at boot time.
With kernel 2.2 I say:

  # Masquerade packets from local network

  ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.56.0/24 -p tcp -j MASQ
  ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.56.0/24 -p icmp -j MASQ
  ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.56.0/24 -p udp -j MASQ

  # Enable forwarding

  echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You will also need some way of bringing up the link - I use diald, but
there are also tools like mserver which allow more direct control and
logging of who does what.

> program called LinGate, although I still didn't have the time to get and
> examine it. Maybe I don't even have to use it, if everything I need is
> already on any standard linux distribution (specially RH6, cause that's what
> I have in hands at the time).

You can do this without LinGate (probably what LinGate does is set up
some of these things for you and possibly provide modem dialing
services - I've never looked at it, though).

--
Mark Brown  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/

From: Bob Koss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31 Jul 1999 15:29:58 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Lanning) writes:

> Bob Koss ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : I'd like to copy (recursively) files and directories from my
> : laptop to my desktop for backup purposes. It seems there should
> : be an easier way to do it than to fire up ftp, login to the desktop,
> : and do a put.
>
> Really? Oh, maybe you mean doing a put for each individual file? That
> would be tedious fer sure, dude.

Really. I hate to say it, but in windows, it's a matter of dragging the
directories on the laptop to the directories in network neighborhood
for the desktop.

From: xander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: spin down HDD
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 21:18:21 +0200

On 31 Jul 1999, Simon Hosie wrote:

> xander:
> > problem is bdflush. kick it out.
> > bdflush flushes every now and then.
>
> Why is it that it does that all the time, even when there is nothing to
> flush?  Why doesn't it check?

I would have to look into the source code to find out.
For all I know bdflush flushes all dirty pages. I suspect time-related
processes are the cause of it, e.g. cron/logging facilities.

You'll have to settle between smart flushing (apparently annoying)
and no flushing (risk of losing information -- e.g. when power fails).

You could terminate bdflush at night hours and use hdparm to sleep the
drive after a certain amount of inactivity, or kick out bdflush
altogether. The last alternative works quite fine.

Regards,
xander

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: icecast-1.0.0
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:37:49 GMT

Hi,
I have icecast-1.0.0   I installed it, compiled it according to the README files
and was able to run the server program. My problem is getting the streamer to
work.

I use shout. I made a list (in the iceplay directory) by doing the following
find /root/mp3 > playlist
then I run shout by doing the following:
./shout myservername -P letmein -p -x -p ./playlist
Then it starts streaming (i think), but the server says:
"directory_touch() failed...directory server error#0...

any ideas?
Please post only