  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Richard Steiner)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelly Ann Smith)
Crossposted-To:
linux.dev.sound,comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.dev.laptop,linux.dev.newbie,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.portable,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Sound card: hardware or software problem?
Date: 22 May 1999 21:28:55 GMT

I was just trying to configure my soundcard under linux, and I
had a weird problem.

I ran sndconfig (after I found out what irq's etc to use).  There were
lots of io addresses to set: mss_io and mpu_io, and I wasn't exactly
sure which these were supposed to correspond to, since there were quite
a few listed when I checked this under Windows.

I ended up using 0x530 for mss_io and 0x330 for mpu_io, since I had
seen somebody use these settings for configuring the same machine as
I have.  (They had this info on a web page.)

But when the sndconfig program asked me if I could hear the sound, I
heard this loud high tone.  I figured that was the sound, but of
course it wasn't.  The sound only went away when I turned the machine
off (not even shutdown -r would turn it off).  I rebooted into
Windows, and I could hear the same incredibly annoying sound when the
volume was turned all the way up, but not when it was at medium or low
level.

I checked the Linux settings again; I'm not sure which setting my io
(not my mss_io or mpu_io, but just my io) should be at; I wasn't
given a choice by sndconfig, and my resulting setting (after looking
at the /etc/conf.modules file) was 0x370; the web page I looked at
had 0x220 for this value.

I tried checking the sound system (in Linux) by cat-ing a file to
/dev/audio.  I can hear the sound, but it's REALLY quiet.

I even edited the /etc/conf.modules file and tried out both 0x370 and
0x220 for the 'io' parameter, and I still can't hear much.

In Windows, I can hear sound perfectly (as a reasonable volume) except
I also hear the high feedback-y like tone when my volume is turned up high.

So my current situation is that I'm not sure if the sound works under
Linux, since it's VERY hard to hear something as quiet as this.

Windows sound seems to work, except for the feedback at high volumes.

Some relevant stats:  I have a dual-boot (win98, redhat 5.2),
laptop (Gateway 9100).  The soundcard is listed in sndconfig, and
it's a Yamaha OPL3SAx.

My current /etc/conf.modules file is:

alias sound opl3sa2
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options opl3sa2 io=0x370 mss_io-0x530 irq=9 dma=0,1 mpu_io-0x330

I'm not sure if I blew my soundcard or if this is purely a software
problem; I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Kelly

------------------------------

From: Derek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: newbie rh5.1
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 21:31:46 +0000

I need to download a file that is a .i386.rpm through netscape and it
will not save to disk but just open the file itself.  How do you get
everything to recognize the different file type to download?
thanks for any help
Derek

------------------------------

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie rh5.1
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 15:14:32 -0700

Derek wrote:

> I need to download a file that is a .i386.rpm through netscape and it
> will not save to disk but just open the file itself.  How do you get
> everything to recognize the different file type to download?
> thanks for any help
> Derek

In Netscape | Preferences | Applications|

you have one line that reads download to disk.

Add .rpm to the list.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux's Last Chance
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 21:57:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Iain Georgeson wrote:
>In article <7i3ddg$iu8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mr S A Penny
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>In article <bA4OvJA$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>       Iain Georgeson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve D. Perkins
>>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>>At the risk of being percieved as unhelpful: "RTFJF".
>>erm, what does RTFJF mean? I know RTFM but I can't think what a JF might be...
>[A gazillion replies]
>
>And as an encore - how many Usenet posters does it take to change a
>light-bulb...?  ;)

We do not use light bulbs. Our genius shines on itself.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 16:07:03 -0600
From: Wayne Kovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Signal 11 -> GCC on Redhat 6.0...  ~<

FTP server wrote:

> I keep getting a sig11 when trying to make bzImage for my 2.2.9 kernel.
> Never completes the compile :(.  I remember compiling kernels fine in
> Redhat 5.2..
>
> I have a P-60 cpu.

This URL has the information you need to fix this:

    http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

--
Wayne Kovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Colorado Software Summit (A Java Programming Conference)

------------------------------

From: "Athan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Accessing ext2fs in Win98?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:38:13 +0100

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/

This is the explore2fs home page

--

Athan

Back to the "Linux".
http://wwp.icq.com/9576874

news:7i7be6$64m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Smith)
Subject: Re: [?] lint for Linux
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:11:58 GMT

On Sat, 22 May 1999 14:17:00 -0500, Francisco Cribari
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is there a version of  lint  for Linux? (I am using Red Hat Linux
>6.0). Thanks. FC.

>From what I've read, gcc with all the warnings and stuff enabled is better
than most lints -- which is why there don't seem to be too many lints out
there anymore.

gcc -Wall -pedantic -ansi -nocrap  hello.c
                          ^^^^^^^
                          Made this one up.

--
Scott Lacy Smith  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                              Student of Computer Science

------------------------------

From: Derek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:02:31 +0000

I have done this and added the extension .rpm and that did not work also
added .i386.rpm and that has not worked. it also asks for a Mime type
and I don't know what to type in there.
thanks
Derek

------------------------------

From: chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hercules Terminator + Linux
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:43:09 +0200

Hi

I tried to install linux suse6.1 on my computer. But there exists no
driver for Hercules Terminator 128 GLH. So I tried to install the
Framebuffer device driver! But I could not manage it! So has anyone
experience with this problem! I know that it is possible to run
Terminator with linux by means of FBDev - but I do not know how to
install it right!?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Chris!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Wilson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 22 May 1999 23:54:28 GMT

David Kastrup wrote:
>So you would suggest pulling a gun and shooting if a police officer
>gets fresh?

I support the right of innocent people to use a gun in self-defense when
the thugs of the DEA, IRS, or ATF decide to bust into their house to apprehend
them for exercising their freedom to be self-governing in a fashion that's
been deemed unacceptable by the state.

Granted, attempting to defend yourself against a gang of jackbooted thugs
without help isn't very prudent or intelligent, but it's certainly morally
acceptable, IMO.

(Disclaimer: I'm not advocating it, or saying that I would ever do it.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Wilson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 22 May 1999 23:41:06 GMT

Mike Willett LADS LDN X7563 wrote:
>A member of your family is more likely to die from the gun that you own
>than a criminal.

This is a completely bogus conclusion based upon one piece of data that's
true, and one piece of data that's incomplete.  Firstly, the figure of
non-defensive gun usages within the home that this conclusion is based upon
includes suicides.  The fact that many gun usages are suicides in no way
increases the likelihood of a non-suicidal person to use a gun on himself or
his family members, and it is very dishonest for the anti-gunners to imply such
an absurd claim without explicitly acknowledging it.  Second, the statistic of
non-defensive gun usages that is commonly cited includes instances of usage by
people who aren't versed in gun safety.  Again, foolish usage of guns by
uneducated users does not increase the likelihood of responsible use by
educated users.  Thirdly, the statistic of non-defensive gun usage that's
commonly employed by anti-gunners includes homicide instances in which family
members are at war with each other.  Yet *again*, gun usage by family members
involved in brutal feuds does *not* increase the likelihood of people shooting
their family members if their home situation isn't already a violent
environment.  Anti-gunners seem to conveniently discount here that motivations
and intentions mean everything with respect to determining a person's action.

The implication that you cite is also bunk because of the fact that's it is
not possible to record the number of defensive uses of a gun.  A defensive use
of a gun doesn't necessarily involve the actual shooting of a criminal -- it
could involve simply using it as a threat.  There is no reason to believe that
the majority of these usages are reported at all.  Furthermore, it's possible
that many instances in which a gun owner shoots a criminal are not reported.
If a criminal reveals why he has been shot when in the hospital, he can get
arrested, and for this reason, criminals will not always go to the hospital
after being shot in self-defense.  Because many instances of defensive gun
usage go unreported, it's not even necessarily accurate for anti-gunners to
claim that the number of non-defensive gun usages is higher than the number of
defensive gun usages.

Hey, but who cares about accuracy?  The anti-gunners have an agenda to
promote, which is disarming the populace so that people may be either
subjected to or dependent upon the whims of the government.

------------------------------

From: Swietanowski Artur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux on Dual Pentium-II machines
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:02:40 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> According to M.V. Ramana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > I am thinking of building a simple dual-processor machine (2 P-II
> > 400Mhz CPUs).
>
> I'd actually recomend running dual Celerons.

Celeron's have SMP (kind of) disabled and have to be modified. For
that you'd probably do best to buy a dual PII board with the Celerons
already modified, an perhaps overcloksed and certified to work.

One place that offers this on the net that I know of is
  http://www.computernerd.com
Overall, incredible price/performance ratio + a half assembled
system. This would probably take care of your other concern (assembling
it yourself).

> > The most challenging task for this machine, if an when built,
> > would be running some serious number crunching (linux) applications
> > from mathematical optimization, computational algebra etc.

Greetings to another number crunching individual!

> > 1) On applications (built say, using gcc) that are not designed with
> > parallel processing in mind, can you get any speed up at all?
>
> Unless they are multi-threaded, no.

The application itself would not bee speeded up, but ... at any given
moment more than one process is running on your PC. I should mention
the kernel and X server as the most prominent ones. Chances are, your
single thread applications will be able to run at full speed (i.e.,
100% single processor utilization) while you will be able to work on
the computer. Another possibility is running more than one instance
at a time, which may or may not make sense, depending on the particular
application.

> > 2) A P-III 500 Mhz machine from Dell with similar specs costs about the
> > same as above, and so, is it worth my time to build the dual processor
> > machine?
>
> I'd recomend benching the fastest Celeron you can find against the
> P-III before plunking down the cash.  The results may surprise you.

Amen.

> > I should also mention that I have never "built" (assembled is a more
> > accurate term, I guess) a PC before.
>
> You may want to enlist the help of someone who has done it before.

Amen to that, as well. I'd recommend considering a company that would
build a PC for you, with you providing the exact list of components.
And, if possible, the company should guarantee that the PC will work
with Linux. This is how I have managed to do (just last week) and
I'm now waiting eagerly for the shipment.

HTH,
Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

From: "Athan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 23:32:42 +0100

One of the Best

------------------------------

From: Ian Hay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 00:12:15 GMT

Derek wrote:

> I have done this and added the extension .rpm and that did not work also
> added .i386.rpm and that has not worked. it also asks for a Mime type
> and I don't know what to type in there.
> thanks
> Derek

Don't bother - just press SHIFT when you click the link, or right-click
it and select "save link as..."
Ian R. Hay                 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Toronto, Canada      <http://www3.sympatico.ca/ian.hay/>
"Linux already IS user-friendly ... it's just very picky
about who it makes friends with!"     -- source unknown.

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New dumb question....
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:51:59 +0100

Sounds suspiciously like you have not mounted the CD-Rom.

Have a look at "man mount".

If you have a directory "/cdrom", or "/mnt/cdrom", (which are fairly
common implementations ... try:

mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /cdrom
mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

The important things are the -t auto (automatic type testing, or -t
iso9660 for "normal" CD-Roms) The /dev/??? is the cdrom device, /dev/hdc
if it is the master on the secondary IDE controller, or /dev/scd0 if it
is the first SCSI cdrom ....

the last parameter is the (*empty*) directory (mount-point) where you
want the cdrom to "appear".

gus

------------------------------

From: Jim McCusker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: DVD movies on Linux ?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 00:37:50 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Robert Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This may be a little off topic and I don't want to start a flame war,
> > but I am curious. Why would someone want to watch a movie on a desktop
> > computer? I have never understood this. The comfort factor would be my
> > biggest objection. Then again, if you have a 36 inch monitor and your
> > desktop is a studio screening setup...
> >
> > Bob Brashear
>
> It's a valid question and in addition to the other good responses I
> would add that my television can't be adjusted properly to view DVDs.
> The aspect ratio is a tad too tall and the overscan crops a bit from the
> left and right sides of the picture frame. Regarding the picture quality
> on my cheapola 15" monitor, although the image may not appear as crisp
> as it does on my TV set, the colors are truer, the screen is flatter, I
> can adjust the aspect, there are no visible scanlines, and the image
> looks softer, almost as if it were being projected onto a movie screen.
> The 3d/depth effect is really quite amazing.

And viewing them on a Gateway Destination (which has a 27" monitor
standard) is *very* nice. Imagine having 800x600 resolution on that
monitor where you normally would have 550 x whatever on a normal TV.

Jim
--
    Jim McCusker | Class of '99, BA Computer Science & Cognitive Science
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Menzel)
Subject: Re: Netscape java40.jar problems
Date: 22 May 1999 19:07:38 -0500

Dexter Plameras wrote:

> Im having problems with netscape java40.jar. Netscape cannot find
> java40.jar in its class path. I was wonder if some one could advise
> me on what to do or send a copy of the netscape bash script to set
> the environment for netscape.
>
> Im running Redhat 5.2 netscape communicator 4.01

Try setting your CLASSPATH to $MOZILLA_HOME/java/classes/java40.jar.
This solved the problem in question for me (I'm using communicator 4.6).

-chris

------------------------------

From: Mark Forsyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 'Find'. what a strange command
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:55:34 +1000

Villy Kruse wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Mark Forsyth  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Bill Unruh wrote:

> >Ah yes but that had already been mentioned. The dreaded find / grep
> >combo hadn't. Surprised me that it wasn't. Of course WHY you would
> >use it escapes me completely...:)
>
> Maybe in this case to also find Netscape, NetScape, and all other
> combinations of capitalization (with the -i option to grep).

What, like as in "> >> >Or even find / | grep -i netscape" above...???

Mark F...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.help,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 18:56:57 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Phil Bousfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>I am part of a commercial company looking at how to get into the Linux
>market.

Welcome.  :-)

>I have a few questions, and would be grateful for anyone who can spare
>the time to give some constructive feedback.
>
>(1) What is the right model(s) for a commercial company to market Linux
>    products in the storage management space?

Please define "storage management".

A straightforward description of your product line and of your general
intentions might be a good start.  :-)

>(2) What model(s) should we avoid?

Pass.

>(3) What source code access is appropriate or necessary?

That will have to be your call, based on your customer's realistic need
for access to the source.  Some people have somewhat extreme positions
on this issue, but there are times when having the source available for
a given product can be critical for obtaining timely support.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +