From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Topaz Crow)
Subject: Re: Star Office 5.2 problems on Suse 7
Date: 14 Nov 2000 10:23:54 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:36:12 -0000, D. M. Smith
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If anyone can help resolve the following problem I'd be most obliged.
>
>When I attempt to  run Star Office 5.2 from the menu item or a desktop link
>I merely get the splash screen loading then.....nothing, nada, zilch. I've
>tried to repair
>it using the local setup option and have even ventured into the murky depths
>of YAST (Murky for a novice like me at least) and deinstalled and
>reinstalled the entire package but the problem persists.
>Furthermore, If I enter the  command soffice at a command line the same
>thing happens but I get the response: "aborted"
>Anyone know what's going on here?
>Thanks in advance fopr any replies.
>Cheers.
>Darren.

I've had this problem before.  It was after SO crashed on me.  If it's the
same thing, what is happening is SO is asking you if you want to do something
when it starts.  I can't remember but it's something to do with files that were
open during the crash.

The only problem was the dialog box was hidden by the splash.  I can't remember
for sure what I did but is was something like fishing for the title bar of the
dialog box through the splash with the mouse pointer and trying to drag it into
the clear.

Don't know if this is your problem but I hope it helps.

--
Topaz Crow
No replies by email, sorry.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux/UNIX=Windows
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:26:22 -0600

"Stuart D. Gathman" wrote:

> Steve Wolfe wrote:
>
> >   I dunno, Netscape for linux can bring the machine to a halt that can only
> > be solved by the power switch.  I'm not bashing Linux, just being realistic.
>
> This does not technically halt the machine - just the X server.  At
> home, I keep a dumb terminal connected to a serial port to correct
> netscape crashes.  (I also enjoy using dumb terminals.)  At work,
> telnetting in from another machine does the same thing.  Admittedly,
> this is not ideal when you don't *have* another terminal or another
> machine.  However, almost all X server crashes will still let you press
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server and restart it.
>
> What Linux needs is a button somewhere that is monitored at a low level
> and cannot be overridden by the X server and that means "the X server
> has gone haywire - kill it".

How 'bout the "Magic SysRq key" kernel configuration option?  I'm
not sure if you can make it kill specific processes, but maybe
it's worth a look.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <stefano @ zool.su.se>
Subject: Re: Cannot Install RedHat 7.0 in 8 Megabytes
Date: 14 Nov 2000 11:43:22 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) writes:

> Upgrade the memory NOW if you want to install RedHat x.y.  8M is not
> enough to do much of anything; you will probably be able to install an
> older version of Slack, but that's about it.  The newer distros want
> lots of memory for their installers, since almost every distro has
> switched to graphical installs, X is relatively impossible to run in
> anything less than 16M, and the install process consumes as much memory
> as it can.

While I agree that, if possible, the memory should be upgraded, I
don't think Slackware has still swithced to a graphical installer
(and, as you see, with some reason). You could install Slackware on
that machine, I have it running (no X of course) in 7MB.

--
Stefano

------------------------------

Subject: Re: the relation between Linux and GCC
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:51:24 GMT

Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Rod Smith wrote:
> >
> > [Posted and mailed]
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >         Te-Cheng Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Hello
> > >     This question has confused me for a while and I think that it is
> > > time to speak it out and ask for some help.
> > >
> > >     The question is that Linux kernel is compiled with gcc but gcc is
> > > built on top of Linux kernel.  How can this happen?  Image that I have a
> > > gcc and it needs being installed on top of Linux kernel.  This sentence
> > > makes sense to me.  However, if the previous sentence makes sense, how
> > > can we compile Linux kernel using gcc?  I really do not understand.
> > >
> > >     Take the first version of Linux, for example, what compiler used to
> > > compile it?  Gcc? or some other compilers?  Can anyone show me a way to
> > > figure this out?
> >
> > If I recall correctly, the first versions of the Linux kernel were
> > compiled using GCC running on Minix. (It's conceivable that Linux was
> > first built using some other compiler, though.)

The dialog you're referring to between Linus and Tannenbaum occurred
nearly ten years ago.  IIRC, it was the last public dialog between
them.  The message traffic of that conversation is archived in a lot
of places.  A search on the web should locate it.

Minix was constrained by its design for the 8086 and 80286, and did
not use GCC at all, but, as you said, used the Amsterdam Compiler Kit,
IIRC.  Minix also has a commercial license and at the time, was at
least as expensive as MS-DOS, IIRC.  I'm not sure that in that flame
war he said he used Minix at all.  This was probably a "given" on the
part of anyone posting to comp.os.minix, as use of GCC is here.

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: Sung Y. Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ABIT Hot Rod 100 IDE RAID adapter and Linux?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:30:03 -0000

David Sisk wrote:

> Anyone familiar with this ABIT product or any other ABIT product?  Their
> site (www.abit-usa.com) states that this device is supported by Linux,
but
> the manual doesn't mention Linux, only Win9x and NT.  Anyone using one of
> these in a Linux box?  I've heard that ABIT makes quite good stuff, and
this
> board supports RAID0, RAID1, and RAID10 with up to 4 IDE drives, and is
less
> than $40, so it's very attractive.  Please post or email!
>
> Regards,

I'm not sure which motherboard you are talking about. A motherboard which
supports a raid costs much more than $40.
Also, the motherboard does not support any raid in the linux system.
(visit highpoint-tech web site at www.highpoint-tech.com)

From: Sung Y. Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:30:04 -0000

Patrick Amirian wrote:

> it`s saying
> 1.Microsoft DOS 5.X and above
> 2.Microsoft Windows 95/98
> 3.Microsoft Windows 2000
> 4.Microsoft Windows NT4.0
> 5.ABIT Gentus 2.0 (Linux) <<<<------
> you have to use GENTUS not any Linux. Just GENTUS!

You are right. The mannual says so. But, I haven't heard GENTUS linux and
failed to visit GENTUS web site.
So, I believe the abit motherboard does not support any raid within a
linux system.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markie Mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.harware,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: 'Checking for new hardware' more instructive ??
Date: 14 Nov 2000 12:51:30 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:42:50 GMT, <Jean-Philippe Côté> blabbed on about:
:@>
:@> Hello,
:@>
:@> I have problems with my Linux machine (AMD k6 running
:@> RH7 and kernel 2.2.16): it just keeps on crashing, and then
:@> reboots. Many of these crashes actually happen during the
:@> boot process, when the system says 'Checking for new hardware'.
:@> Is there a way of making this message more instructive, i.e.
:@> to make it display the name of the actual hardware component
:@> it is testing ?
:@>
yep, turn off kudzu daemon at startup.  on redhat there is a program called
ntsysv, if I remember correctly.  It specifies which daemon start up
automatically. but you might want to find out what wrong with kudzu, It can be
handy for newbies to install new hardware.  I hope this helps
--
regards,
        -mark

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:59:53 -0500

Darin Johnson wrote:

> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > * Very hard to make bindings to languages other than C++.
> > Not true.
> >
> > extern "C" function(....)
>
> True, but that may not be the point.  Ie, if the interface is in C,
> then it doesn't matter if the actual implementation is in C++ or
> Fortran or something else.  When people say "I wish this library was
> in C++" they usually mean they want the library interface is in C++,
> not implemented in C++ with an `extern "C"' interface.

Certainly not I. My gripe is the GTK itself. It tries to be object
oriented but is a horrible mess because they IMHO chose C instead of C++
because they didn't like C++, not because it wasn't the better tool for
the job.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Olaf Zaplinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: paging for the sake of fs cache
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:59:10 +0100

Paul Kimoto wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Olaf Zaplinski wrote:
> > my 2.2.17 SuSE 7.0 machine likes paging much - it puts ~20 MB into the swap
> > space just to keep fs buffers in RAM. How do I turn this off?
>
> I don't think that you do, but you could consult
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt anyway.
>
> >                                                              The old 2.0.x
> > kernels did not have this counterproductive behaviour. Well, for servers
> > this might be okay, but how do I tune a 2.2.x kernel for workstation use?
>
> Do you really think that the performance is worse?  I find that 2.2.* is
> better than 2.0.* for workstation-type use _because_ it buffers more of
> the filesystem.  Yes, it pages more aggressively, but these are mostly
> pages that are hardly ever needed and _should_ be swapped out.  How much
> RAM do you have, and how much memory do you typically use (after
> subtracting out the buffers and cache)?
>
> --
> Paul Kimoto

I have 128 MB here. "free" says:

Mem:        128160     125700       2460     144580       2620      93980
-/+ buffers/cache:      29100      99060
Swap:        64220      25688      38532

So the kernel uses ~93 MB for caching while it pages out ~25 MB. And these
paging activities sure do slow down the whole machine. That's what is
annoying.

Olaf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Upgrading kernel (From 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:11:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kaybenn Sturas wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but same results :(
>Are there any special permissions that an Image file must have?

To troubleshoot, you might try this: use 'dd' to copy the new kernel to a
floppy, to use as a floppy boot diskette. Use 'rdev' to make sure the
floppy kernel is set to the correct root device.  Man dd, man rdev.

If the floppy kernel fails, then maybe something is wrong with the
kernel. If it boots then maybe something is wrong with the lilo
configuration.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: Sung Y. Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:30:04 -0000

Vincent "Hefiz" Graux wrote:

> Hello. I have the exact same request ; I'm searching for a RH 6.2 driver
> for my KT7R. I'll let you know here and by e-mail if I ever find
something.

> Anyway, if you succeeded in configuring four disks in RAID 0+1, I'm
> interested. Please mail.
>
> Vincent

As far as I know, KT7R support only an unraided linux system whose kernel
is 2.2.16 or higher (find out at www.highpoint-tech.com) I'm afraid RH 6.2
has a kernel whose version is lower. Also, you need to upgrade HPT370 ide
controller BIOS to 1.0.3 and to patch an ide.2.2.16.20000630.patch file.

From: Sebastian Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sending mail from multiple accounts
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:30:30 +0100

Hello!

I have several free email accounts and I don't want to use the web
interface to send mails. Reading mail from multiple accounts via POP or
IMAP is simple (fetchmail), but how can you send mails from multiple
accounts via SMTP on a dial-up connection? I hacked some scripts
together managing separate sendmail.cf files, one for each account.
Switching is done by copying sendmail.account.cf to sendmail.cf.
But this solution is pretty dirty and insecure; so if someone could
tell me if there is already some system around for coping with this
(other than creating one user for each of the accounts),
I'd be most grateful. (At the moment I'm using postfix, if that helps.)

Ciao.

To mail me remove the NS from both ends of my address.
--
seb
   -------------------=====#####OOOOOOOO#####=====----c---c----------

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help Replacing libraries
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:46:41 -0600

Bill Moseley wrote:

> I need a quick primer on how to update a library.
>
> Maybe what I really need to understand is how to make .so libraries.  Or
> dependencies, or why I'm not on some beach in the tropics instead.
>
> I started by trying to install the Perl GD module.  It's not building
> for reasons I'm not sure about.  It seems like SuSE's installed libjpeg
> or libgd is out of date.
>
> So, I'm now trying to install an updated version of libgd from source on
> my SuSE 6.3.  libgd and libjpeg were already installed on my machine, so
> it seems like I'm having conflicts between different versions.
>
> I can build libjpeg from source without any problem.  (more details can
> be found at http://x73.deja.com/threadmsg_ct.xp?AN=692526026 )
>
> It was suggested to me to use my distribution's package program (Yast,
> which I assume is a front-end to rpm) to remove the libgd and libjpeg.
>
> I've done that, but the libaries are still on my machine:
>
> ll /usr/lib/libj* libgd.*
>     178188 Nov  8  1999 /usr/lib/libjpeg.a
>         16 Nov 13 12:16 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so -> libjpeg.so.6.0.1
>         16 Nov 13 12:16 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6 -> libjpeg.so.6.0.1
>     156416 Nov  8  1999 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6.0.1
>     196888 Nov 10 17:04 libgd.a
>
> So I assume there some dependencies that's keeping those from being
> removed -- even though YaST tells me that it was removed.  Argh.

I don't use Suse but on a redhat system it can sometimes be fixed by
doing a "rpm --rebuilddb" which should remove the package from being
listed as installed in the rpm database.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than: 98.806% of seti users +/- 0.01%.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need help setting up second SCSI CD-Rom
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:26:48 GMT

In article <8umddg$7c6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Tim Banner <tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I've scanned through the CD-ROM HowTO and it recommends
reading the
> SCSI-HowTO, which I'm just starting.  It suggests including the line
> max_scsi_luns = 8 if you are using devices on other LUNS besides
0.  I'm
> not quite sure if the number asigned to the SCSI device is the LUN,
ID or
> channel but I've given it a try anyway.  Linux appears to scan the
device
> at start-up, but I can't use it.

LUNs are for devices such as CD changers (one physical device,
multiple "logical" devices). For normal CDROMs, CD-RWs, etc.,
there's only the Physical Unit Number (PUN intended). If you did not
have the above line, a changer would act like a _single_ CDROM (if
you don't have a changer, you don't need the line [shouldn't do any
harm other than, possibly, slowing up your boot process a tad]).

> I've read the output from dmesg and it only mentions one scsi cd
device at
> boot.  The error I get when I run mount is:
>
> "mount: /dev/scd1 has wrong major or minor number"
>
> I assume /dev/scd1 since /dev/scd0 is the cd-rom (but I've tried
the rest
> of scdx).  I've also checked the major and minor numbers and they
appear
> correct as well.  I'm guessing I'm getting this error message
because the
> kernel is not expecting the device.

If you intend to ever use the CD-RW as a writer, /dev/scd1 won't
work (scdX is read-only). Suggest you make a link: e.g.
 /dev/cd-rw -> sgX (generic scsi-device) where X is the 1st
available number on your system.

Also (this may only be necessary if you want auto-mounting, I'm not
sure) clone the CDROM entry (if any) in /etc/fstab, changing 'cdrom'
to 'cd-rw' and create a directory /mnt/cd-rw

HTH