Linux-Misc Digest #307, Volume #21                Fri, 6 Aug 99 08:13:12 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Must root and swap partitions be primary? (Hankel O'Fung)
  Re: Must root and swap partitions be primary? (Hankel O'Fung)
  Re: Seeking Linux UDP broadcast forwarding solution ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Must root and swap partitions be primary? (Hankel O'Fung)
  Re: What I think of linux. (Jeff Silverman)
  Restricted shell available? ("Heinz")
  Re: I think I have a convert IF.... (newsseeker)
  I think I have a convert IF.... (Jeff Silverman)
  no booting from floppy (Steffen Glueckselig)
  Re: Restricted shell available? (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
  Printer IBM 4019 (Clarinette)
  HPLJ4 Postscript printing resolution 300 vs 600dpi (Christopher Wong)
  X-Problem !!! (PCI-Card) (Jesus Moreno Quiben)
  PPP Problems (Jesse Keeler)
  Re: character based word processor?? (Roman Fietze)
  Q: Non-contiguous jumps from <1% to 60% - why?!? ("Dave Ewart")
  modem question (Wayne Power)
  Re: modem question (John David Bowden)
  Re: Learning the ways of the Penguin (Heeeeeeeez back!)
  Re: why do I lose my entire system at restart, how to minimize loss? (Heeeeeeeez
back!)
  Re: linux networking (Heeeeeeeez back!)
  Re: Java makes Netscape crash (Mike Mckinney)
  Re: Restricted shell available? ("Heinz")
  Re: the mouse that didn't roar... (Bob Tennent)
  Updating packages in SuSE 6.1 (esp. Postgres) ("Chris")
  Re: Installing Netscape 4.61 (Kenny A. Chaffin)
  Re: Is RPM unique to Linux ? (Heeeeeeeez back!)

From: Hankel O'Fung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Must root and swap partitions be primary?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 14:21:13 +0800

["Duy D.", in response to Doug DeJulio's message, wrote:]

> You *can* put LILO on a logical partition, but not an extended partition.  You
> can't write data to an extended partition.

Hmmm, any third party wants to discuss who is right?

> > Each extended partition can contain up to four logical volumes itself.
> > So, you should be able to get up to 16 useful partitions, if you have
> > no primary partitions -- but I'd say it's not a good idea, as that
> > configuration is pretty unusual and isn't going to have been as
> > thoroughly tested.
>
> You can have only one extended partition on a disk,

I see. That was why fdisk refused to add an extended partition to my hdd last night
--- the hdd at first contained a primary DOS partition and an extended DOS
partition.

[Concerning DeJulio's comment that each extended partition can contain up to four
logical volumes, Duy D. wrote:]

> and I'm pretty sure you can
> have more than four logical partitions within the extended partition.

Again, who is right?

--
(The news server here is problematic. Please send me a copy of your response (if
any) by email. Remove the NOSPAM in my e-mail address, of course.)

------------------------------

From: Hankel O'Fung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 14:20:20 +0800

Thanks, DeJulio, I think the reason you gave for creating a primary partition is
very strong, and your symbolic link example is illustrative. However, I feel
confused about two of your comments. Please see Duy D.'s response.

Regards, Hankel

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Seeking Linux UDP broadcast forwarding solution
Date: 6 Aug 1999 16:24:00 +0800

        Have a check on ipportfw in Linux networking.

------------------------------

From: Hankel O'Fung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 14:21:31 +0800

logical volumes, Duy D. wrote:]

> and I'm pretty sure you can
> have more than four logical partitions within the extended partition.

Again, who is right?

> 1 extended partition + 3 primary partitions = 4 primary partitions.

Cheers, Hankel

From: Jeff Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
Date: 6 Aug 1999 07:20:39 GMT

Chris Butler wrote:

> [comp.os.linux.advocacy - Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:09:23 -0400] * alann wrote *
> > You're right, somewhat.  I would be curious as to the average age of Linux
> > users.  I'm 34.  First computer I ever had my hands on was a Commodore PET.
> > That was a LONG time ago.  Right now there are a gazillion Windows users.

I'm 41.  I got my first computer in 1968, a 3 bit 2 Hz plastic thing from
Edmund Scientific Co. called a Digicomp-1.  I have been playing with computers
ever since; from a Wang 2200 calculator, a DECsystem-10, PDP-11/70, a number
of much beloved VAXes and now.... almost everything (EXCEPT VAXes).

I have been LINUX and UNIX in one flavor or another for 15 years.  I know people
say that it is more difficult to use than windows; but my experience is more
complicated.  IMHO, Windows is easy to *when it is working properly*.  However,
because of the way windows works, any failure *anywhere* tends to propogate
all over the place.

Jeff

--
Jeff Silverman, PC guy, Linux wannabe, Java wannabe, Software engineer, husband,
father etc.

From: "Heinz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Restricted shell available?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:22:08 +0200

Is there a restricted shell available for Linux?

I'm looking for something similar to the restricted shells available on
commercial Unix systems which allows to restrict the shell to browse from a
virtual root (typically the home dir) downwards, only. The path variable may
contain references to the real root but browsing beyond the home directory
is forbidden.

Any help would be highly appreciated,
Heinz Doerr

------------------------------

From: newsseeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: I think I have a convert IF....
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 02:31:00 -0500

Jeff Silverman wrote:

> I have a customer who has a laptop computer and I am trying and failing to install
>Windoze on it.
> I talked him into trying Linux on it ... IF... I can find a program which will run
>under Linux which
> will convert between HTML and MS-Word/97 DOC formats.
>
> SO.... does anybody know where I can find a program that will run under Linux that
>converts between
> HTML and MS-Word/97?

Check on www.freshmeat.net where you can find mswordview...this converts Word 97 files
to HTML.

--nwskr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffen Glueckselig)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: no booting from floppy
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 09:34:01 GMT

Hey everyone,

I am trying to install RedHat Linux 5.1 on a 486-System. My problem is
that after i press <Enter> at the welcome-page, it seems that Linux wants
to boot, but finally reboots my computer and the welcome-page appears
again. This goes on and on.
The disk obviously works on my Pentium-System. So the problem shouldn't
be the disk. Perhaps something is wrongly set in my AMI-Bios dated 1994?
Is there a parameter I should be expecially looking for? Or else is that
bios unhopefully outdated?

Excuse my strange english.
& thanks for your answers
greets
Steffen

PS: F'up 2 set to comp.os.linux.misc

--
                         ~~~   navTa °pEi   ~~~

homepage: http://members.xoom.com/glueckselig/
       Go, Buddhismus, Zen, Philosophie, Tee, etc. pp.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Subject: Re: Restricted shell available?
Date: 6 Aug 1999 09:37:43 GMT

Heinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there a restricted shell available for Linux?

rbash(1); see the bash sources.

HTH,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would

From: Clarinette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer IBM 4019
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 09:32:06 GMT

Hello,
I would like to know where I can find the drivers for an IBM 4019
printer to use it with Linux (RedHat 5.2).
Thank you in advance for your help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: HPLJ4 Postscript printing resolution 300 vs 600dpi
Date: 4 Aug 1999 15:48:12 GMT

I am not too happy with the quality of Postscript output generated by
Linux apps. I am sending output to a HP LaserJet 4M+, a 600dpi
Postscript printer. Many apps generate Postscript output: Netscape,
Applixware, dvips, KDE stuff (kmail, kfm) etc. Unfortunately, the output
from the printer is underwhelming. It looks like the printer is
receiving Postscript and printing at 300dpi. The printer's resolution
enhancement is helping somewhat, but the output is still quite inferior
to Windows with HP's Postscript drivers.

Not being familiar with Postscript, this behavior puzzles me. After all,
we are talking about scalable Postscript fonts here. A look at some of
the Postscript generated indicates that I am using the printer's own
fonts rather than downloaded stuff. Why am I getting low res output from
a 600 dpi printer? Can I coax these apps -- many of them GUI-based -- to
use a higher resolution?

Chris

------------------------------

From: Jesus Moreno Quiben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-Problem !!! (PCI-Card)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 11:42:33 +0200

    I got a PCI-VGA-6215 VGA with 2 Mb of memory but I canīt obtain more
than 640x480 resolution. I've have been looking for a driver but I
didnīt find anything. Does  anybody know where I can find  and install
it??.
    Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Jesse Keeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Problems
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 12:24:58 -0500

I have read through the PPP-HOWTO numerous times and followed and edited

scripts beyond belief. I am using Slackware 3.6 with 2.0.35. I have
gotten PPP to work along with IP MASQ before, but I am now switching
ISP's. The new ISP does not use PAP or CHAP. I followed the directions
given in the pppsetup utility that comes packaged with Slackware 3.6.
The script seems to connect to the server fine, it looks for
"ogin:--ogin:" and passes my username and then looks for "assword:" and
passes the password along. Then a serial connection is established and
ppp0 is to be connected to /dev/cua0. At this point, pppd says that
"Serial line is looped back." and the connection is terminated and pppd
exits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
        Jesse Keeler

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roman Fietze)
Subject: Re: character based word processor??
Date: 6 Aug 1999 09:44:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Eric Wyles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I am looking for a good, character based word processor for
> Linux. The character based requirement is due to the fact
> that it will be used by many users on text-only dumb
> terminals.
>
> This needs to have the features of a standard word
> processor, not just text editing functions.

I had good results with the WP 5.x ASCII version and I hope the newer
versions are stable like the old one. The Motif Version had (has ?)
serious problems and crashes from time to time (esp. in tables, when
generating TOC,s, indices, when converting other input, ...).

Roman

--
Roman Fietze (Mail Code 5023)              Heidelberg Digital/Germany

From: "Dave Ewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: Non-contiguous jumps from <1% to 60% - why?!?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:38:42 +0100

A recent power failure caused my RedHat 5.2 box to fall over.  It was no
great surprise to me to find that it ran FSCK at the subsequent reboot,
since the EXT2 partitions had "not been cleanly unmounted".

However, although it found no errors on the partitions, it reported that
the drives were "60% non-contiguous", rather than 0.1% (approximately)
that I remember seeing before.  The partitions in question are 20GB in
size, are anything from 20%-80% full, have only ever had files *added*,
never deleted or modified.  How come they have suddenly become so
non-contiguous?

Thanks for any suggestions ...

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart, Computing Manager
Imperial Cancer Research Fund (Cancer Epidemiology Unit), Oxford

From: Wayne Power <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem question
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 06:44:13 -0400

I have an ActionTec v.90 voice/fax/windows modem.  Is there any chance
of getting this to work under Linux?

Thanks,

--wmp

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John David Bowden)
Subject: Re: modem question
Date: 6 Aug 1999 10:59:28 GMT

Wayne Power ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have an ActionTec v.90 voice/fax/windows modem.  Is there any chance
: of getting this to work under Linux?

Since it's a "windows modem" (aka WinModem), it won't work with linux.
See if you can trade it for a non-windows modem, or even better: get an
external modem.

John

--
Clones are people two.
John Bowden                             Memorial University of Newfoundland

From: Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Learning the ways of the Penguin
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:35:10 +0100

Scott Fleming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. How do I display file sizes within linux? Using dir or ls presents a nice
> color coded display of the directory, but I want to see a "dos-style" list
> of the files, with date, and file size in kilobytes when I list the files.

ls -l (list long format)

> 3. I'm interested in performing scheduled backups on my linux machine, using
> TAR, but the MAN pages are greek to me, and not much assistance. Is there a
> page/site that can help me set up a script to perform backups of my network
> to file/disk/tape using TAR, or some other form of utility?

The most usefull  tar commands are:

-v..... Verbose operation. Tell you exactly what it's doing
-c..... Create a new tar file.
-z..... Gzip the tar file.
-f..... Specify filename of the tar archive
-u..... Update an existing archive.

(Others are probably usefull in the case of cron jobs)
So, an example line might be....

tar -zcvf home-backup.tgz /home

This will create a backup of the /home directory tree.

Similarely,

tar -zuvf home-backup.tgz /home

will update the existing home-backup file, replacing changed files within
the archive with the current version and adding new files, but leaving the
rest of the files [and files that were deleted] untouched.... I think.

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"         |
|             in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!!|
|      Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why do I lose my entire system at restart, how to minimize loss?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 00:10:30 +0100

Matt Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I understand that linux doesn't write things to disk until shutdown, neither
> does NT.  Occasionally NT will lockup beyond repair and I have to reset the
> machine.  NT recovers from this dirty shutdown 95% of the time.  Linux
> recovers from a dirty shutdown 5% of the time.  My linux installation locks
> up at least once every few days which means I am constantly having to
> reinstall.  What is the best solution to prevent this reinstallation?

Follow the instructions on bootup after fsck fails.
To be more specific, if fsck fails on bootup, it TELLS you to enter your
root password, and run fsck in emergency mode.

(Pressing <ctrl D> to reboot)

> Should I back up my installation on another partition or perhaps a tape?
> What is best?

There's no need to backup the entire system...
Only configurations and user files need to be backed up nornally...
(After all, as long as you have a record of what you have installed, there's
no real point in backing up the software when you effectively have backups
on CDROM)

> Is there a way that I can sacrifice speed for crash protection?  (so the
> system writes everything to disk immediately)

I'll leave this to someone else, but I think there's something in the lilo
options that can force it to use no disk buffering)

> The biggest issue I suppose is finding the cause of these crashes.

What software is running when it freezes? Can you ping the machine from
another on a network? Are you running a 2.2.x kernel with the magic
sys-request key compiled in? (VERY nice and usefull)

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a   |
|                           |graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in             |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,that|
|     Computer Science      |       can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux networking
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 00:15:20 +0100

Jeffery Browning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We are building a continuity book and I would like to add a good linux
> administration book to it.  Any suggestions?

How about "Network Administration Guide" and "System Administration Guide"?
They're a part of the Linux Documentation Project and come as part of some
distributions...

(SuSE for example)

Or they can be freely downloaded from the LDP site.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Mckinney)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Java makes Netscape crash
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 11:26:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Actually, if you are running RedHat 6.0 (which I willing to guess you
>are) Netscape is not at fault. One of the installation RPM's is buggy
>and it doesn't a necessary font path to /etc/X11/fs/config.
>
>The solution is somewhere at www.redhat.com under support and FAQs, but
>if you don't want to go digging for it...
>
>Type:
>
>chkfontpath --list

Does this "solution" work for anyone ? My fonts are fine, and still Netscape
crashes, sometimes taking the X system with it.

Just curious

From: "Heinz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:31:04 +0200

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunatelly rbash is not close to what I'm
looking for. rbash disables important stuff on one side (e.g. cd ~/subdir)
but on the other side the whole root is accessible. But I need to hide the
root and the other users from each other, grrr.

The commercial Unix's have approprite solutions available (Solaris, HP-UX) -
I really would be supprised if not one of these is available on Linux!

Thanks
Heinz

news:7oead7$43e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: the mouse that didn't roar...
Date: 6 Aug 1999 11:15:51 GMT

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:35:57 +0200, bas van Weelde wrote:
 >After installation of Suse 6.1 which worked out to be very smooth, I
 >encountered the following problem: my mouse refuses to respond.
 >I tried almost anything.
 >The mouse is a mitsumi serial mouse, two button type.
 >When I look in kernel-mesages, I see that there is a ps/2 mouse port. What
 >to do? What kind of mouse should I select? and what port? tty0, or tty1? I
 >tried Sax, xf86config and xf86setup. Nothing seems to work. Do I need to do
 >a full re-install?

Look at the Pointer section of /etc/X11/XF86Config to see which device
is being used.  If it's /dev/mouse, do

ls -l /dev/mouse

to see which device that is a symbolic link to, as in

/dev/mouse -> ttyS0

If that's not the right port, you'll have to as root do, for example,

cd /dev
rm mouse
ln -s ttyS1 mouse

or change the device to /dev/ttyS1 in XF86Config.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Updating packages in SuSE 6.1 (esp. Postgres)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:19:33 +0100

I am running SuSE 6.1

I recently decided to have a go at installing ver 6.5.1 of postgres and some
of the interfaces for it.

However the Postgres install details and the SuSE install directories are
completely at odds with each other (it appears to me, only! I may be wrong).

I cannot find any packages at the SuSE site and I tried the RPM's from
postgres but the dependencies are missing, principally
/sbin/chkconfig, libhistory and 1 other I cannot remember.

Also, when I attempt to install the Tcl interface it says it requires ver 8
or later.

Am I missing something obvious or is upgrading packages subsequent to the
distribution CD's really this much work? I am relatively unfamiliar with the
Linux OS but keen to improve my knowledge. The single biggest hindrance for
me is maintaining/upgrading packages outside of the distribution CD's.

Yours, floundering with some hope that somebody can throw a lifeline,

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A. Chaffin)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Installing Netscape 4.61
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 05:42:52 -0600

In article <poGp3.67566$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Rado Faletic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >=20
> > > I use IE5.
> >=20
> > Me too. I find it MUCH more stable than any of the Netscape builds. =
> Pity
> > MS doesn't get into the Linux buzz, I'm sure many people would still =
> use
> > MS-Office under Linux, and IE.
> >=20
> > Not that open source is no good... but MS do have some reasonable
> > products and I think we could all benefit from some of them (like =
> IE5).
>
> MS doesn't need to get into the Linux buzz. What for? NT is the most =
> stable operating system I ever used, even more so than Linux, in my =
> humble opinion.
>
> Perhaps, some day, Linux may earn its place among the big boys. Until =
> then, I won't hold my breath. MS products are good.  Love IE5 -- the =
> best browser ever --and MS-Office. Those who can't see the quality of =
> the above mentioned, are in the bottom of a deep damp cave struggling to =
> get out while blaming Bill Gates for their misfortune.=20
>
> Incidentally, Mac users make the same mistake. =20

What a TROLL!!!

--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

From: Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is RPM unique to Linux ?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:08:16 +0100

Alan J. Laser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> RPM stands for "RedHat package manager" and is somewhat specific
> to RedHat;

Not  entirely...
SuSE uses rpms as its main package format.