Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 10:14:44 -0700
From: "Ahh Umm..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: basic installation questions

Keith E. Dickson wrote:

> This will be somewhat lengthy, I apologize in advance.
>
> 1. I've installed RedHat 5.2 with the default packages, not having any
> idea what I'd need, figuring I could always add later on, should I
> decide I needed something not installed. However, after spending several
> weeks playing with this trying to get it configured, with no luck, I've
> decided to completely reinstall, choosing to install everything on the
> CD installation disk, to avoid further complications. So the question
> is: If I use Partition Magic to delete the existing Linux partitions,
> it's still going to leave LILO in the master boot record, correct? Can I
> leave that in there and just reinstall RedHat or do I need to fdisk the
> MBR, delete the existing version of RedHat, and install, or can I simply
> re-install RedHat over the top of the existing version? I have not been
> able to get anything configured, so anything overwritten won't be
> missed.

You don't have to delete your partitions to reinstall unless your
unhappy with their configuration.  I'd be damn sure I had a *working*
rescue disk set before you go messing around with the MBR.  When you
reinstall, you'll be prompted whether to install LILO in the MBR, you
can just say yes then and be comfortable that it will be set up right.

> 2.  I'll be installing on my 12 gig harddrive, partitioning it with
> PartitionMagic. From the reading I've done, they all say I should have
> AT LEAST 500M of space dedicated to Linux, but with my hard drive, I've
> obviously got room to spare. With this going on a dual-boot machine also
> running Win95, which will be my primary OS for at least a while longer,
> how should I size my partitions. If I were to install everything
> included on the CD, plus leave room to spare for adding applications
> later down the road, what would you think would be the MOST I'd use, in
> a typical situation? I have no programming experience, doubt I'll ever
> get into that, so this will be more just a basic desktop computer, using
> the most common applications.

I currently have dual-boot Linux/NT.  I found 100M for /, 4G for NT, 4G
for /usr, 128M for Swap, and the rest for /home gives me more than
enough room on a 10G harddrive.  Your needs may be different.  If you
give yourself at least a couple gigabytes for /usr you should have
plenty of room for additional software. (NOTE: unistall all of the
Foreign Language HOWTOs and DOCUMENTATION -- you'll be surprised how
much space they eat up!)

> 3. From the overwhelming amount of reading I've been doing on Linux, I'm
> beginning to understand the RedHat is a great distro, though not
> particularly suited to newbies. I want to learn RedHat eventually,
> however, if after installation, I decide I'm having problems with RedHat
> and want to try installing a copy of Caldera I have, how do I go about
> setting that up?  So do I compeletely remove all Linux partitions, fdisk
> the MBR, and then repartition and install Caldera?

RedHat is generally considered one of the easiest distros for Newbies.
I haven't used Caldera but I can't imagine it'd be much easier -- just
different.

------------------------------

From: Me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux and quake...
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 09:19:19 -0500

Hello,

I have looked on various website and still have not found any information on
getting my mouse to work in squake running in linux..  I was told it has to do
with the SVGALIBS, however i have those installed and still no mouse...please
help.

Thankx in Advance

all replies to

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Wyzlic)
Subject: Re: Configuration in redhat
Date: 23 May 1999 16:38:07 GMT

On Sun, 23 May 1999 15:37:37 +0200, Stefan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> i've installed a ftp version of redhat, i think its 5.2.  now iam
> trying to find the file where i can configure some things like
> network and so on.  in suse 6.1 there is a file named rc.config, is
> there anything like this in redhat ?

Under X try control-panel or otherwise linuxconf.

"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices." -- William James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (a 406 Hepcat)
Subject: AARGH! HELP!
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 16:49:09 GMT

I'm trying to install Linux for the first time, but all my hard drives
are on a PCI controller card, so LILO makes my Zip drive the first
available drive at hdc. How do I install to another drive
(specifically, hde), and does anybody know how to make this all work
with the BeOS boot manager?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Stein)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: UDMA under Linux 2.2.5 on Asus P5A-b (Ali M15xx chipset)
Date: 23 May 1999 16:52:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Peter Stein;
>[...]
> PS> So should this mean that the available 2.2.9 kernel sources contain
> PS> these patches? I acquired the 2.2.9 kernel source and it most definitely
> PS> does *NOT* contain the source added by the 2.2.9 UDMA patch.
>
>I dunno why not, I grabbed 2.2.9 src the other night, and compiled
>it on my 2.0.36 system (RH5.2).

Someone must have applied the UDMA patch before tarring the source.
The 2.2.9 kernel source I acquired from ftp.metalab.unc.edu does *NOT*
contain the UDMA patch.

>It ran the drives quicker than stink in UDMA33 mode.  Unforch, so much
>other stuff broke that I ended up doing a reinstall of 5.2.
>
>I'd also like to know what if any sensible reason exists for
>rhs-printfilters, in its latest incarnation, that makes it also REQUIRE
>the latest 2.1 whatever version of glibc because installing that breaks
>the rest of the system.  My printer works great, but what good is a
>working printer when nothing else on the system works?
>
>I've attempted to post several messages about this, but my ISP's
>newsserver sends any original messages I make to /dev/null.  For obvious
>reasons, I haven't sucked any news from it in 9 months or so, but most
>of the free newsservers *won't* let you post so I have to post thru
>these jokers.
>
>Anybody know a good, free newsserver that you can also post replies to?
>
> PS> No, not the kernel source. I'm refering to patches 2.2.6->2.2.9.
>
>You guys ever hear of www.freshmeat.net?  It has pointers directly to
>the 2.2.9-tar.gz copy of the full src.

I built 2.2.9 after applying the UDMA patch. Unfortunately it doesn't
work. I get UDMA performance for 'hdparm -t', but this is read only.
For any write operation the kernel reports the following and IDE
gets switched to PIO mode:

kernel: hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
kernel: hdb: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
kernel: hda: DMA disabled
kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
kernel: ide0: reset: success

Peter Stein

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Linux or linux?
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:39:29 +0100

On Sat, 22 May 1999, jane chav wrote:

> eloki wrote:
>

> >   Ah, so you'd say that there's lots of users running Symantec/Windows or
> > who used to be running Quarterdeck/Windows?  I like the GNU utils and all,
> > and I'm not saying that "Linux" as a whole system could do without binutils,
> > fileutils etc.  But it's just not warranted as a name.  People out there
> > aren't running Symantec/Netscape/Winzip/Installshield/Windows 95.  They're
> > just running Windows 95, with various utilities.
>
> agreed, kernel is the core of an OS, the OS provides interfaces for the
> user applications. Without the utilities, the computer can still boot,
> but without the kernel, no utilities can run. utilities are important
> but they are not part of an OS. Linux is licensed under GNU (ie.
> Copyleft), just like MS-DOS has its own Copyright, but we don't really
> call it "whatevery license/Windows". So, it is suffice to call it Linux.
The license is the GNU General Public Licence not GNU (GNU stands for
GNU's not UNIX).

Both the kernel and the utilities are required to run any user programs
therefore they are considered an OS when combined.

GNU/Linux is used to indicate that it is a GNU system running with a Linux
kernel.

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 17:38:38 GMT

On 22 May 1999 20:50:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Christopher Browne) wrote:

>On Sat, 22 May 1999 19:42:17 GMT, Anthony Ord
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I just bunged Squid as a front-end to Apache (one of the
>>options) and everything goes swimmingly.
>>
>>I made it so it just caches dynamic content though.
>
>Wouldn't you want it to cache static content too?

Why? Apache and Squid (sounds like a duo on a Saturday
morning cartoon...) reside on the same machine. Are you
telling me Squid can hoover a duplicate file up off the disk
faster than Apache?

>And how "swimmingly" is that?
>- Does that mean that "it functions OK"?

Of course.

>- Or that this increases performance substantially?

I don't know for the static stuff - probably not much - but
you can try it.

About 1,000% to 18,000% for the dynamically generated parts
(depends on the amount needing to be generated and its
size). It also stops my CPU being pegged at 6.xx (or
thereabouts) for about five minutes.

Though your milage on *your* Real World (tm) problem will
definitely vary. I'm not Mindcraft...

>If the latter, that suggests that Squid+Apache = *very* good thing...

It is IMHO. Try it. Both are free, and you can also remove
Squid without any problems if you don't like it.

Remember though, if you are generating dynamic content
remember to put in the appropriate header fields (like
expires and Last-Modified) and also to remember that Apache
(by default AFAIR) stops things being cached. This needs to
be changed in the Apache config file.

Regards

Anthony
| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |