Linux-Misc Digest #312, Volume #19                Fri, 5 Mar 99 03:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: best offline newsreader? (Richard Steiner)
  Re: UUCP for mail and news? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: kcore (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Public license question (Geoffrey KEATING)
  WHO on RH5.1 fails when user logged in on ttyS0 (Rick Lim)
  Re: tx97xe Motherboard caching limit ??? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Red Hat 5.2 & Netscape Communicator 4.07 (Adrian Hands)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (Richard Tobin)
  Re: Linux VERY slow to boot (Erik Hensema)
  Problems with Zip drive under RedHat Linux 5.2 (Bernhard Rau)
  Re: More bad news for NT (John Thompson)
  Re: Linux VERY slow to boot ("William R. Mattil")
  Netscape 4.5 setup and run under x-windows/Gnome on RH 5.2 (Sean)
  .procmail (Titus Gruppen)
  Re: Backup software (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Problems with Zip drive under RedHat Linux 5.2 ("George Georgakis")
  Re: RH vs SuSE (Anton Dischner)
  scsi cdrom seen by bios, not by linux (Mike Hom)
  Disks partitions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Using different keyboard layouts (Hermann Boeken)
  Re: How to get libstdc++.so.2.9 (Pawel Kolodziejczyk)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 06:13:25 GMT

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Richard Latimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Download headers for a number of newgroups. Select some
>video messages and send Express off to download them
>while you look at more headers.
>
>Select some audio file postings for download.
>
>Select some pictures files from a binary group.

Some of us have no need whatsoever for video, audio, or picture posts
on Usenet.

>Now that you have an idea of what you can do with simple freebie,
>ask yourself why there is nothing remotely as capable for the
>Linux/Unix user. Unix is over twenty years old and cannot consume
>the output it serves up anywhere near as well as MS products do.

I think our respective definitions of "capable" (and perhaps also of
what Usenet should be used for <grin>) differ quite a bit.  :-)

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: UUCP for mail and news?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:02:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Schmidt) writes:

>Hi,

>Linux provides UUCP as far as I have read.

Well, UUCP is available for any UN*X variant, Win* and others.

>Which programs are there running under Linux which handle
>mail and news using UUCP as an interface/layer for sending
>and receiving?

UUCP :)

You'll mainly be using uucico for sending / receiving batches
from / to your host system(s). Be aware, though, that UUCP is only a
transport method. It can't replace a running newsserver/mailserver;
it just delivers the incoming/outgoing batches .

>In other words, which programs allow reading mail and news via UUCP

None. You need to find a host system that collects news and mail
for you (usually via some sort of robot for defining what newsgroups
to be spooling for your system) , and puts the resulting compressed
batches into a spool directory. Your system then would be dialing into
the host system and send/receive the stuff.
Your main problem won't be installing / configuring UUCP ; it's pretty
tough to find an ISP offering UUCP feeds these days (which is a pitty,
given the fact that it's the cheapest way to exchange news [if you
have to pay for local calls]) .

>and writing mail and news for sending via UUCP?

smail , sendmail , qmail (with a hack, AFAIK) .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: kcore
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 13:32:54 GMT

On 4 Mar 1999 11:30:56 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Ho) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In my /proc directory, there is a "kcore" file which is
>over 130Meg, and is growing everyday.
>Can someone tell me what it is ? Can I just delete it ?
>I am running Slackware, kernel 2.0.35, KDE 1.0.
>
>* If it is not too much trouble, please email me a copy
>* of your reply.

As others have said, read the FAQ

However, /proc/kcore is a phantom file that is mapped by the kernel
directly to your memory. The more memory the kernel uses, the larger
kcore will grow. If you dump /proc/kcore, you are dumping kernel
memory.

The file doesn't physically exist on harddisk, so it's not taking up
harddisk space. Don't try to move, rename, or delete it, be cautious
when you read it, and (unless you know exactly what you are doing),
don't ever write to it.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
From: Geoffrey KEATING <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Mar 1999 17:26:26 +1100

> Barry Margolin ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : In article <YBtD2.69653$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> : Christopher Seawood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : >Are dynamically loaded modules considered to be "based upon" the program
> : >they can be loaded by (assuming dynamically loaded modules are considered
> : >to be "annotations" or "elaborations")?  What if the modules can be
> : >loaded by several programs?
> :
> : IANAL, and neither is RMS, but I believe he has claimed that he believes
> : that dynamic and static linking do not make a difference, since the end
> : result is the same as far as the user is concerned.  This is based on the
> : same logic he used when claiming it's a violation of the GPL if you
> : distribute your object modules unlinked and have the recipient perform the
> : linking.

What he actually said was that

> The key to answering this is to realize that there is no legal
> distinction between dynamic linking and static linking.  The plug-in
> is therefore an extension to the master program; the two become part
> of a larger combined program.

I agree with this in the sense RMS meant it, but I would have phrased
it very differently (because as phrased, it's wrong).

>    After the release of Program A, Party Two produces Plugin B, to
>    be loaded by Program A. Plugin B uses modified GPL code. Party
>    Two distributes Plugin B binaries and source code under the terms
>    of the GNU GPL.

> Party Two has violated the GNU GPL by converting the GPL-covered code into a
> modification for Program A.  Since they cannot distribute the whole of
> the modified Program A under the GPL, they cannot comply with it.
> Therefore they will have to stop distributing this plug-in.

which doesn't make sense to me either.  Perhaps it is simply poor
English, using the expression "they made a modification" instead of the
simpler "they modified".

Still, this is what was said.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Seawood) writes:
> At this point, I guess I'm going to have to find someone who *is* a
> lawyer because RMS' claim does not make sense.  The end user's point
> of view should be irrevelant to definition of a derived work.  I guess
> the deciding factor at this point would be whether or not occupying
> the same process space is legally considered to be a "derivative work".
> If there's copying involved, I guess it is but do all dynamic loaders
> copy portions of the shared lib to process space of the executable that
> uses the shared lib?

Fortunately, the GPL only affects distributing software.  So if you
don't distribute memory images, you're OK.  RMS seems to have a
slightly different view of this, though, and it may be we disagree on
this point.

> (I recently discovered that shared libs under linux didn't work in the way
> I thought they did.  I was under the assumption that there was one copy
> of the library that was loaded by the system and used by all processes
> that depend upon it.  Apparently, according to a guy from Cygnus, the
> portions of the library that are used by the application are copied
> into the executable's process space.  Does anyone know if this is true
> of all dynamic loaders?)

Aah! A technical question.  This I can answer.

The short answer is that it varies :-).  Usually, there is a portion of
the library which is data and changeable, and each process gets a copy
of this (because it is changed and ends up different for each
process).  There's also a part which is not changed, which is usually
shared between all processes, and which is much larger.

But in some operating systems (not Linux) it's possible to have a
library for which there is really only one copy for the whole system.
It would be pretty easy to add this to Linux if people found it useful.

--
Geoff Keating <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Rick Lim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WHO on RH5.1 fails when user logged in on ttyS0
Date: 4 Mar 1999 13:25:31 GMT

I just installed RH5.1 on a friends P2 450 with 128m
8gig scsi ultrawide.

'who' works ok when any user is logged in from the
console/virtual terminals, but when they are logged in
on the serial port (direct connection) 'who' will
print upto the last user on the console/virtual terminals
then hang, until I ctrl c it.

any ideas on how to fix it ????

--
The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: tx97xe Motherboard caching limit ???
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:52:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ambrose Kofi Laing) writes:

>I have an ASUS TX97-XE motherboard.

You are thus using a motherboard with the TX chipset. This particular
chipset has a built-in limit in the amount of RAM that can be cached.
The maximum is 64 MB ; while the board will accept more RAM, it will
not be able to cache it.

[...]

>In short.  With Linux 2.0.36, RH5.1 and P200MMX/TX97-XE, can I use
>96MB (32+64) or 128MB?

[...]

Use, yes. Cache, no. Use the RAM > 64 MB as a RAMdisk, otherwise
your system's overall speed will drop down drastically due to the
fact that the RAM gets used top-down (i.e., your kernel will reside
in the uncached area) .

Michael

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 01:57:25 -0500
From: Adrian Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 5.2 & Netscape Communicator 4.07
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x

Jimmy Navarro wrote:

> This NC 4.07, IMHO, is a lot more stable than the latest NC 4.05.
> However, how come the Location Bar always goes to the top most column
> while Navigation Bar is below it?  Is it possible to customize the
> arrange of the tool bars?

Left click, drag, drop.

comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Tobin)
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:05:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Matthias Buelow) writes:

>BSDi and Berkeley were not sued for COPyright violation, the
>law suit was about "trade secrets disclosure".

Actually it was both:

          8..  By reason of CSRG's development and distribution
  of the Networking Release 2 software the Regents have breached
  their obligations under their UNIX(R) software license agreements
  with USL and have engaged in federal copyright infringement and
  misappropriation of trade secrets.

(That's from USL's "amended complaint" of 24 July 1992.)

-- Richard

Butter - 20% fat free.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erik Hensema)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux VERY slow to boot
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:44:02 +0100

Craig wrote:
>I've just started having a problem getting Linux to boot on my laptop.
>During the boot, it keeps hanging on 'starting sendmail'...then on 'starting
>httpd'....then on 'starting ABD (I think that's right?).  I've had to wait
>up to 20 minutes to get to my logon screen!

It's a DNS lookup problem.
Enter your IP's in /etc/hosts, and set /etc/host.conf to "order hosts, bind".

--
Erik Hensema ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Bernhard Rau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.linux,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: Problems with Zip drive under RedHat Linux 5.2
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:43:12 +0200

Hi there,
        I just installed Linux, RedHat version 5.2 on my laptop and
connected an Iomega parallel Zip drive to it.  For whatever reason, the
Zip drive is not detected during the boot process:

scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

When trying to load the modular support for the drive, I'm getting the
following messages:

$ modprobe ppa
/lib/modules/preferred/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Or

$ insmod /lib/modules/preferred/scsi/ppa.o
/lib/modules/preferred/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

or

$ insmod /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/scsi/ppa.0
/lib/modules/preferred/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

(of course, since 'preferred' is just a symbolic link to '2.0.36-0.7').
Anyway, I wouldn't know why the device should be busy, but I have no
idea
how to check this.  the command 'lsmod' gives the follwing result:

$ lsmod
pcnet_cs           2            1
8390               2    [pcnet_cs]      0
ds                 2    [pcnet_cs]      2
i82365             5            2
pcmcia_core        9    [pcnet_cs ds i82365]    0
nls_iso8859_1      1            1 (autoclean)
nls_cp437          1            1 (autoclean)
vfat               4            1 (autoclean)
cs4232             1            0
uart401            2    [cs4232]        0
ad1848             4    [cs4232]        0
sound             15    [cs4232 uart401 ad1848] 0
soundcore          1    [sound] 5
soundlow           1    [sound] 0

Any idea what's going on?  BTW, the Zip drive works just fine under
Win95
on this laptop, so I doubt that there is some hardware problem.

Well, any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot,
        Bernhard

| Bernhard Rau                                                           |
| Helsinki University of Technology         tel. -358-9-4513203          |
| Department of Engneering Physics          fax. -358-9-4513195          |
| and Mathematics                                                        |
| P.O. Box 2200                             internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| FIN-02015 HUT, Finland                                                 |

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 18:20:34 -0600

Harry wrote:

> > Is there a mechanism within CMD.EXE to allow
> > switching between tasks or is it just a "detach
> > and forget" type of thing?

> Well, it's a command prompt and allows you to issue commands, as you
> would in Linux without X. If you want, for instance to stop WINS
> you'd issue the command NET STOP WINS. Is this what you want to
> know?

Well, in linux I can use bg and fg to move processes from
the background to the foreground and vice-versa.  In OS/2 I
can run a text-mode shell like TSHELL to select between
running processes, bringing one to the foreground and
putting another in the background.  Assuming you have an NT
system set up with CMD.EXE as the shell, how do you start a
process and then move it to the background to do something
else?  And assuming that much is possible, can you later
bring it back to the foreground again while leaving your
other processes running?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "William R. Mattil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 08:11:55 -0600

Craig wrote:

> I've just started having a problem getting Linux to boot on my laptop.
> During the boot, it keeps hanging on 'starting sendmail'...then on 'starting
> httpd'....then on 'starting ABD (I think that's right?).  I've had to wait
> up to 20 minutes to get to my logon screen!
>
> Here's the only thing I've changed...  I just recently managed to get on my
> LAN and connected to the internet (via the LAN) using one of the two IP's I
> use as I travel between two locations.   It was working fine at location "x"
> (which is the IP I used when originally configuring), but when I went to
> location "y" (where I use a different IP) it started this VERY slow boot
> problem.
>
> Since I normally manually change my IP (in the Windows settings) as I travel
> between locations I thought I needed to do that in Linux too....  (I'm sure
> I DO need to do that).  So when I finally booted up, I logged in, went to
> linuxconf and changed ONLY my IP address.  When I rebooted, it still took
> forever (no change) and once up I couldn't get on the Internet or
> send/receive mail.
> Does any of this make sense to anyone?!?!
> thanks,
> Criag

You changed the IP address of the system but need to update the support files
????
look at /etc/hosts and make sure that it has your machine-name and proper IP
address.
You should also check /etc/resolv.conf as well and confirm that the resolver
can function
as advertised.

HTH

Bill

--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Ginger had to do it all backwards

------------------------------

From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.digest
Subject: Netscape 4.5 setup and run under x-windows/Gnome on RH 5.2
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 06:07:50 -0800

Could someone please email me and explain how do i set-up and run
Netscape 4.5 under x-windows/Gnome. I have it currently installed at
/usr/local/netscape and i am also using the AfterStep decoration mode
for x-windows. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- Is there a RPM for the lastest 2.2x kernel and which site is it
located at?

------------------------------

From: Titus Gruppen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: .procmail
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 09:13:57 +0100

Hello all,

I've a question about procmail.
I want to print a file when i use procmail.
I that you get a new shell when using procmail, but don't know what i have
to initialize (path's , etc.) in the .procmail file, so that i'm possible
to print my file at a printer.
Who can help me ??

Titus Gruppen

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Backup software
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Mar 1999 09:07:56 -0500

Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You might explore afio.  It has a safer approach to recovering from corrupted
> media than tar.  It is cpio like.

IMHO, afio's compression scheme sucks in that it spawns gzip as a separate
process for each and every file.  It was a noticible slowdown.  While it is
nice to have as an option to spawn a compression program for flexibility, you
do pay in performance by doing it that way.  It would be better to build in the
default compression program.  There is also the additional slowdown if you have
large files that compress to be larger thant 2 meg by default), in that it runs
the compression program twice (once to size the result, and once to actually
compress it).

Also by using the old cpio format by default, you lose if you have more than
64k hardlinks on a filesystem (think of backing up a news partition for
instance).  It would be nice if afio also could grok the newer cpio file
formats (gnu's CRC in particular).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PO Box 98, Ayer Massachusetts, USA 01432-0098

From: "George Georgakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.linux,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Problems with Zip drive under RedHat Linux 5.2
Date: 4 Mar 1999 14:09:19 GMT

Make sure you have SCSI support in the kernel. I know it sounds strange,
but the Zip adaptor *is* a SCSI interface.

The Zip mini-HOWTO is at
http://amelia.db.erau.edu/ldp/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

George
====================================
I never reply by email as a) I don't give out my real email address freely,
and b) it stops other NG users from reading the solutions to problems
I can be contacted thru hurro(a)hotmail.com
====================================

Bernhard Rau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: Anton Dischner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH vs SuSE
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:04:49 +0100

Hi Jason,

i installed Suse 5.3 and now 6.0 on several CPUs.
No severe problems; Running Kernel 2.2.x
I like yast (yet onothre setup tool) and pax (mouse, video-card
installation) very much.
Very well done distribution.
Havn't tried other distributions well enough to judge.

Kind regards,

Toni

Maybe you find some useful information on http://www.suse.com

From: Mike Hom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scsi cdrom seen by bios, not by linux
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 19:53:09 GMT

I have a PC I've been tasked with setting up Linux on and I'm stuck.
The Adaptec 2940UW finds the Matshita CR-506 in its bios scan
but when Linux installation probes the 2940 it only sees hda (HD)
while OS/2 sees it fine. I tried passing max_scsi_lun=6 and changing
the 2940 bios configurations but nothing. Dejanews shows that others
have installed on this cdrom but I can't. Help?

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Disks partitions
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 13:27:59 GMT

Hi there!
I have a 6 GB SCSI disk which I want to partition the following way:
/ - 300 MB
swap - 200 MB
/usr - 1000 MB
/var - 500 MB
/var/www - 1500 MB
/tmp - 500 MB
/var/mail - 1000 MB
/var/logs - 1000 MB

The problem is that I can only create 3 primary partitions with cfdisk.
There is an option that creates a logical partion, but how can I split
a logical partion into several partions like we do in DOS?

Many thanks.

From: Hermann Boeken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using different keyboard layouts
Date: 04 Mar 1999 15:21:35 +0100

Hi.

I have configured the US keyboard as the standard keyboard on
my system. When I use Linux that's OK for me, but a friend of
mine who also uses the system prefers the german keyboard layout.
Who can I change the keyboard layout on a per user basis?

Thanks for your help,

Hermann

------------------------------

From: Pawel Kolodziejczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to get libstdc++.so.2.9
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:29:52 GMT

: Juergen Fiedler wrote:

:> Hi,
:>
:> I need to get libstdc++.so.2.9, because a program that I recently
:> downloaded won't run without. I downloaded libstdc++.2.90.3 from
:> ftp.cygnus.com, but I couldn't get it to compile: ./configure
:> runs OK, but during 'make', I get the following error:
:>
:> >-------SNIP-------<
:> ../bits/std_iosfwd.h:49: sorry, not implemented: namespace
:> make[2]: *** [complex.lo] Error 1
:> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
:> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
:> >-------SNIP-------<
:>
:> I'm running Slackware 3.6 with gcc 2.8.1. Does anone know how I can
:> get libstdc++ 2.9?

i saw precompiled libstdc++.so.2.9 in KDE distribution tree
(for Slackware 3.5)

:> TIA,
:> Juergen

regards