Linux-Misc Digest #388, Volume #20               Sat, 29 May 99 03:13:40 EDT

Contents:
  Re: CD Burner ("Evan R. Battle")
  Re: URGENT: How to download Red Hat 6??? (coffee)
  Re: Netscape Keeps Stalling (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Offline newsreader for Linux (Stan Barr)
  SuSE vs Red Hat? (Syed Mujtaba)
  Conspiracy theory!  Re: 3c509b croaked on 2.2.9 (Cameron)
  Re: Netscape Keeps Stalling (Michel Catudal)
  Re: Help! DOS Partition (mike)
  Re: 3 buttom mouse emulation (Ed Young)
  df prints different things depending on runlevel (Sam Steingold)
  Re: SuSE vs Red Hat? ("Mitchell Maltenfort")
  Re: 3 buttom mouse emulation ("Spud")
  Re: email bridge (Vegard Engen)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Paul Anderson)
  Re: antivirus (Ben Short)
  Re: Maximum CDE and RedHat 6.0 (Ted Staberow)
  Re: RedHat 6.0 or SuSe 6.1? (Michel Catudal)
  Re: RedHat 6.0 or SuSe 6.1? (Michel Catudal)
  Re: How to list installed packages to a file (Ben Short)
  Re: Linux, Who to buy from? (Michel Catudal)
  Is Caldera's OpenLinux 2.2 Free Distributable? (Brian Lavender)

From: "Evan R. Battle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD Burner
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 01:59:45 -0400

Regarding the HP 7200i simply recompile the kernel to include scsi emulation
as well as generic scsi support after this add this line to your
/etc/lilo.conf:
append="hdd=ide-scsi"

substitute "hdd" with an apropriate value for your system.

Good Luck
Evan Battle

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: coffee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: URGENT: How to download Red Hat 6???
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:40:23 -0500

> > >Yes: either download the iso9660 image or spend the $2 on a CD.
> > >
> > >--
> > >Brian Moore

Hummm....

Im downloading it all right now via ftp from
ftp.sunsite.unc.edu
However, Its taking forever of course. 9 hours so far. I
project
probably about another 9. Probably a good Memorial weekend
project <grin>.

Incase you want to know how:

Just connect to your ISP and open an xterm window. Change to
the directory
you want to download it to and issue "mget filename.rpm"

If you want them all just use wildcards (*.*).

coffee

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape Keeps Stalling
Date: 29 May 1999 01:06:01 -0500

Michael Mika wrote:

> Yep. Netscape IS the problem. Killing it is the way I get rid of the runnig
> wild Instance. Somtimes Netscape dosnīt even release all resources when I
> normally exit it.  Did anybody try 4.6 (yet)?

I gave up on it. It goes into a black hole when hitting
certain java sites. I was using the libc5 versions of
4.51 and 4.6 with the same results. Going back to the
4.5 version solved the problems. My 4.5 version is glibc2
but I'm not sure that the lib version is the cause because
I've run Real Audio 5.0 libc version without any problem
as well as a few other libc5 programs.

These are US Netscape versions of course and there are
no glibc2 versions of 4.51 or 4.6 available yet.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stan Barr)
Subject: Re: Offline newsreader for Linux
Date: 29 May 1999 06:05:26 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 1999 19:28:14 +0000, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Well, is there an offline newsreader for Linux?
>You know, log on to the ISP, download all new messages in one go and
>then log off, and then read the messages at my leisure.
>
>Any ideas?

slrn/slrnpull  - sorry I don't have a URL....

Stan Barr  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The future was never like this!

------------------------------

From: Syed Mujtaba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: SuSE vs Red Hat?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:48:44 -0700

Hello folks,
    i am currently in the market to buy Linux, and cannot decide whether
to get SuSE 6.1 or Red Hat Linux 6? any input on the matter would be
most appreciated.
thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron)
Subject: Conspiracy theory!  Re: 3c509b croaked on 2.2.9
Date: 29 May 1999 03:00:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, root wrote:
>       My 3c509b (eth0) stopped working when I upgraded to 2.2.9.  When I
>recompile it as a module, and run insmod 3c509.o, I get a warning:
>
>init_module: Device or resource busy
>
>       I get the same warnings when I try to activate the interface on startup.
>Funny, it did seem to work under 2.2.7, yet I cannot find anything in the
>change log to indicate how or why this might have become broken.  So, I am
>reluctantly preparing to downgrade back to 2.2.7 and see if this fixes the
>problem.

Was this on a dual-boot machine by any chance?

A buddy of mine at 3com called me a few days ago, his 3C509B had
suddenly stopped working, in Linux, after he moved to a new office.
Still worked fine in Win-95.

In the new office, he'd had to boot his Win-95 for something,
and some netware thing on the network was different and
Microsoft Windows 95 Hardware Wizard had popped up and fixed it.

Turns out while Microsoft Windows 95 Hardware Wizard was fooling with
the IPX stuff, it also changed the interrupt setting on his 3C509B.
(He had NOT changed any hardware settings or configuration,
nor added nor removed anything, nor changed Linux.)
I had him run the diag/config program
(it's on the disk you get with the card if you buy it from a
dealer who's honoring his contracts...) and find out to where
the interrupt had moved.

I gotta wonder how much of this shit is intentional.  Does
Microsoft monkeywrench the other OS on a dual boot system
by *accident*?

Cameron
(not a 3Com employee any more)

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 May 1999 01:07:05 -0500

Bev wrote:

> Michael Mika wrote:
> >
> > Yep. Netscape IS the problem. Killing it is the way I get rid of the runnig
> > wild Instance. Somtimes Netscape dosnīt even release all resources when I
> > normally exit it.  Did anybody try 4.6 (yet)?
>
> Yes.  It seems to hang less frequently -- possibly for the same reason that a
> clean car runs better.  When I first started it up the splchkr caused a hang,
> but it miraculously cured itself.

I'm not so sure that vanishing in thin air is an improvement
over crashing. Either way you end up having to delete a
lock file and reloading netscape.

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help! DOS Partition
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 22:58:20 -0500

boot DOS from a boot disk, and try to format the DOS partition using DOS's
format.exe program. (DOS, or Windoze 9x, will not even recognize any Linux
partition (ext, ext2 filesystems, etc.), so don't panic when it thinks
that your disk capacity is the same as your DOS partition.  Format.exe
will create a new FAT, and you should be able to install DOS or windows or
whatever you want from there.

Mike

------------------------------

From: Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3 buttom mouse emulation
Date: 28 May 1999 20:24:00 GMT

krishan.purahoo@#jet.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>    How do I configure my 2 button mouse to emulate a 3 button mouse. Using
> the mouseconfig utility in slackware 4.0 there is no option to let me
> do that (the mouseconfig utility in redhat does have that option). I am
> using the KDE desktop - Can I set this within KDE?

Check out /etc/X11/XF86Config
This file has settings you can change to get 3ButtonMouse emulation.

If that doesn't work use XF86Setup to help you setup X.  You will be able to
select 3ButtonMouse emulation as a part of the setup.

------------------------------

From: Sam Steingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: df prints different things depending on runlevel
Date: 28 May 1999 16:24:32 -0400

Linux eho.eaglets.com 2.2.5-4 #3 Fri Apr 9 13:21:01 EDT 1999 i686 unknown
RH6, Gnome, glibc2.1, PII-400/256MB RAM.

under Gnome, I see this:

$ df /
/dev/hda2              6373004   5277996    764873  87% /

if I do "init 1", I immediately get

$ df /
/dev/hda2              6373004   4392687   1650182  73% /

If I do "e2fsck -f /dev/hda2", I get no errors (fragmentation ~7%, I
cannot `defrag' since I cannot unmount / and I am far too lazy to create
a floppy image) and then

# df /
/dev/hda2              6373004   4392688   1650181  73% /

After reboot (runlevel 5, X/Gnome) I get

$ df /
/dev/hda2              6373004   4395730   1647139  73% /

then something happens and "df /" jumps up again to 87%.

Comments?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat6.0 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,

------------------------------

From: "Mitchell Maltenfort" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: SuSE vs Red Hat?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:21:28 -0700

Syed Mujtaba wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hello folks,
>    i am currently in the market to buy Linux, and cannot decide whether
>to get SuSE 6.1 or Red Hat Linux 6? any input on the matter would be
>most appreciated.
>thanks

Depends on your level of skill.

In a lot of places, I've seen a consensus that Red Hat is the best 'first'
package, for someone who is new to Linux and to Unix.

------------------------------

From: "Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:26:57 GMT

    When you run xf86config, it specifically asks if you would like to
Emulate 3 Buttons. Or else edit /etc/XF86Config and add the line:
"Emulate3Buttons" in your pointer section.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vegard Engen)
Subject: Re: email bridge
Date: 27 May 1999 18:32:45 GMT

On Wed, 26 May 1999 15:24:12 GMT, Jack Cheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a domain name hosted in my ISP but use the dial-up account.
>
>I use the Rh5.2 Linux box and 10 Win95 box with different email
>address, I want to use the Linux server to collect all the emails send
>to this domain every 1 hour.
>
>Is it possible to use single dial-up account to send/receive emails for
>more then one email address?

You have several options, offhand I can think of these:

1. Get multiple email-accounts with your ISP, let your ISPs mail-server
collect these for you, by accepting mail to your domain, and fetch them
periodically with fetchmail.

2. Ask your ISP if they will provide an UUCP feed to you. This is
a very old technology, but still of good use in cases like this. Look at
the UUCP-HOWTO for a description.

3. Subscribe your users to free/cheap email-services, have your ISP create
aliases to forward mails to the correct accounts, and use fetchmail to get
the mail from the free email-services.

I guess the most flexible solution for you, would be to use UUCP - this way,
your ISP will not have to do anything at all when you add new users. I would
guess very many ISPs are reluctant to do this, though, perhaps they have not
even heard about UUCP. Because of this, don't take no for an answer at once,
but ask them the reason, and explain them what UUCP is (which you'll find
out after having read through the UUCP HOWTO).

- Vegard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Anderson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: 28 May 1999 23:16:09 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord) writes:

>Some people deny it point-blank when you clue them in. They
>come up with all sort of funny explanations...

I remember, some of the early copies of Win95 would even drop you back into
DOS after shutdown, the turn off your computer screen was still up, and you
could type dir and see a directory listing of the root directory.  cd, etc.
even type win and get back into the GUI shell.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Subject: Re: antivirus
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 14:26:08 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> On Sat, 29 May 1999 12:32:42 +1000, Ben Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> held some poor sysadmin at gun point while typing in the following:
> : Well, to my knowledge, there are no viruses for windows =)
>
> Hmm, Norton, McAffee, Dr. Solomon, and company are going to have to quit
> now.
>
> --Matthew

Crap - did I say windows? I meant linux...See heres a lesson for you
people....Windows fries your brains...
Ben Short                http://www.shortboy.dhs.org
Shortboy Productions     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Remove n0spam to email me*

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:53:37 -0500
From: Ted Staberow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maximum CDE and RedHat 6.0

Hello,

    Version 6 irretrievably breaks the TriTeal CDE.  Perhaps the same is
true for the Xi Graphics version.  They are apparently based on the same
sources.

Ted Staberow
Prairie Networking, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.0 or SuSe 6.1?
Date: 29 May 1999 01:10:16 -0500

brian moore wrote:

> On Wed, 5 May 1999 21:11:58 -0500,
>  Derek S. Smigelski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have both which is better??
>
> Which is better, chocolate or strawberry?

But I don't like chocolate and prefer bluberries.

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 May 1999 01:12:07 -0500

Jerome Mrozak wrote:

> alter StarOffice to use the "new" glibs?  Many posters, apparently with
> downloaded images of RH6, post "I can't make SO 5.0 run".

This was a StarOffice bug not RedHat. I run Star Office 5.1
and it works beautifully.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Subject: Re: How to list installed packages to a file
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 16:12:14 +1000

In article <7inpv9$sdn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...
> Hi,
>
> I am using SuSE 6.1.  I can't print out the installed packages from
> YaST (or save output to a file).  Is there a command I can run that
> would generate a file containing the following fields:
> Category  Package  Version  Description
>

> Thanks.

I dont know about get all that information, ut you can certainly list all
installed packages to a file:

rpm -qa > /path/file

Ben

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, Who to buy from?
Date: 29 May 1999 01:16:10 -0500

Kyle Gearhart wrote:

> I have done a great deal looking into Linux and have finally decided that I
> would buy it.  I don't know which one to buy Redhat, Caldera, etc.  Does any one
> have any advice?
>
> Kyle Gearhart
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cheapbytes

I bought today 3 CDs of RedHat 6.0 for family
and Slackware 4.0 for me

I bought my copy of RedHat 6.0 a few weeks ago allready

With shipping it was around $15

This is the best deal around. Yesterday I saw at Linuxworld
they had a free CD which would cost $10 handling plus
who know how much shipping.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Lavender)
Subject: Is Caldera's OpenLinux 2.2 Free Distributable?
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 21:29:56 GMT

If I buy a copy, can I freely make copies and give it to my friends?

brian
Brian Lavender
Sacramento, CA
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"If a train station is where the train stops,
what is a workstation?" -- Phil Adamson