Linux-Misc Digest #388, Volume #21               Fri, 13 Aug 99 16:13:16 EDT

Contents:
  Re: markets are creations of the state ("W.A. Scheer")
  Announcing SDL 0.10 (Sam Lantinga)
  Re: Where can i download Xfree 86 3.3.34 (De Messemaeker Johan)
  LCP timeout error with pppd ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Audiotrix 3D-XG soundcard problem.  Please help!!!! (Sean)
  More modem problems (Sean)
  video card (rohan_wali)
  Linux as a file server (Steve Grant)
  Where can I download The Redhat logo?? (L'acheteur)
  Re: Linux as a file server (Ken Williams)
  rename root account? (Steve Maughan)
  Re: Sound module failed ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: markets are creations of the state (Jeffrey C. Dege)
  Re: Ready to TRASH SuSE 6.1 ("Hale")
  Re: Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2 (EugeneK)
  software raid0 and bm-dma problem (Gerhard Miksic)
  Re: Delaying eth0 initialization!!! (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2 (TurkBear)
  Parition vs Logical Parition (Habibi4me)
  Re: Linux as a file server (Vilmos Soti)
  Best Linux dist for running SCO software? (Kingsley Tart)
  Backup scripts, IP firewalling and IP masquerading ("Scott Simpson")

From: "W.A. Scheer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: markets are creations of the state
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:23:51 -0700

Quite an interesting twist - but still twisted. Governments do not "create"
markets, they simply protect the rights of individuals, their property, etc.
The government protects me from you taking a club to my head. They have not
"established" my life (or my head).

[snip]

------------------------------

From: Sam Lantinga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Announcing SDL 0.10
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:07:13 -0700

[feel free to edit this to fit your content -- Sam. :)

                          Simple DirectMedia Layer

                                 Version 0.10

                        "Simple, efficient, and portable"

        This library is designed to make it easy to write games that run
on Linux, Win32 and BeOS using the various native high-performance media
interfaces, (for video, audio, etc) and presenting a single source-code
level API to your application.  This is the same library that prominent
game companies, like Loki Entertainment Software, use in their products.

Prominent products using SDL include:

        Hopkins F.B.I.
        - http://hopkinsfbi.com/
        Civilization: Call To Power
        - http://www.lokigames.com/products/civ/civ.html
        Jump!
        - http://members.xoom.com/pesterhazy/
        Billy The Kid
        - http://www.kokkeskolen.dk/billythekid.exe
        Columns
        - http://www.phreax.net/24h/
        Raider's Saga
        - http://members.xoom.com/kokido/rs.html

        LibU
        - http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~klaux/libu.html
        SparkGL
        - http://SparkGL.netpedia.net/

        DGen/SDL, a Sega Genesis emulator
        - http://www.humboldt1.com/~ognir/dgen-sdl.html

.. and many more!

SDL has been split into a stable release, 0.10.x, and a development
release,
0.11.x. The stable version is very robust, having been extensively
tested over
the past 6 months. The development version has some exciting features in
progress, such as multiple-display support, MacOS port, Linux fbcon
support,
and more.

Get it now from:
        http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/

And if you're wondering.. "what can I really do with SDL?", be sure
and download the examples archive, which contains demontrations of:

       Simple sprite animation
       Flame and water effects
       Dynamic image warping
       Organic firework animation
       Voxel height-fields
       Plasma effects and palette animation
       Cut and paste of text and images
       Starfield rotation
       MPEG and MP3 playback
       Playing .FLC and .FLI animations
       Playing WAV and Macintosh sound resources
       Playing MIDI files using software wavetable
       Playing .MOD, .S3M, and .XI modules
       Displaying BMP, PPM, PCX, GIF, and PNG images
       Truetype font rendering with FreeType 1.2
       Emulating the Prometheus TrueColor API
       ... and more!

If you are interested, join the development mailing list by sending
e-mail
to:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Enjoy,
        -Sam Lantinga                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: De Messemaeker Johan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,redhat.config
Subject: Re: Where can i download Xfree 86 3.3.34
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:31:42 +0200

Michael wrote:

> can someone tell me where i can download the 3.3.4 version.
>
> i'm using s3 trio3d, so it's important

ftp.xfree.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: LCP timeout error with pppd
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 17:47:14 GMT

I was setting up a computer for a friend when I ran into a problem
getting connected to an ISP by ppp. I always get a modem CONNECT, but I
can only login about one in three connects. Once I'm in, pppd works
fine. I have tried this with three differant ISPs, all with the same
result. I used three differant programs (plain pppd scripts, wvdial and
kppp), but I can still only get in every once in a while. I changed the
modem speed, flow control, timeouts, etc., all to no avail. Here is an
exerpt from syslog:

--- cut here ---
Aug 13 16:37:21 arthur03 kernel: CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of
the University of California
Aug 13 16:37:21 arthur03 kernel: PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
Aug 13 16:37:21 arthur03 kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
Aug 13 16:37:21 arthur03 kernel: registered device ppp0
Aug 13 16:38:04 arthur03 pppd[422]: pppd 2.3.5 started by arthur, uid
500
Aug 13 16:38:04 arthur03 pppd[422]: Using interface ppp0
Aug 13 16:38:04 arthur03 pppd[422]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
Aug 13 16:38:04 arthur03 pppd[422]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic
0x1f35be6c> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Aug 13 16:38:31 arthur03 last message repeated 9 times
Aug 13 16:38:34 arthur03 pppd[422]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Aug 13 16:38:34 arthur03 pppd[422]: Connection terminated.
Aug 13 16:38:34 arthur03 pppd[422]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Aug 13 16:38:34 arthur03 pppd[422]: Exit.
--- cut here ---

The modem is a Elsa Microlink 56k Basic, and I'm using SuSE Linux 6.1
with a 2.2.7 kernel.

I'm not really sure if this is a software or hardware problem, but I
would appreciate any input.

BTW I've had this problem for a couple of days now, so please no jokes
about the Friday the 13th :-)

David Lowry

From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Audiotrix 3D-XG soundcard problem.  Please help!!!!
Date: 13 Aug 1999 18:30:54 GMT

I own a Audiotrix 3D-XG sound card and I can't configure it in Linux.  I
have no idea which OSS/Free drivers to use and I'm NOT going to purchase
the OSS/Linux package.  If abyone has a crack (for a linux app it's
doubtfull) for the 7 day trial versio of OSS/Linux could you please give
it to me?  I can't ever get isapnp to configure it.  One of the IO
settings (4 I think) doesn't like it no matter what I set the setting to.
In the manual for my sound card it says that it works with Linux systems
but the technical support didn't help at all.  Please someone help
me!!!!!!!!!

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: More modem problems
Date: 13 Aug 1999 18:30:54 GMT

Thanks for those who relied to my last question although now after
asserrting my DNS info and gateway info as well domain info which I got
from my ISP.  Now when trying to go to a web page (that's all I can do
since my ISP blocks all other sorts of information) it just sits there
looking up the site.  Before it said I wasn't connected.  Is there
anything else I must do because my ISP is really strange and blocks all
sorts of things or am I making a really stupid mistake?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: rohan_wali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.servers.general,redhat.general
Subject: video card
Date: 13 Aug 1999 18:30:55 GMT

i have a pentium166 4.3 gb hdd,64 mb ram and i would like to install redhat
6.0. but i have a video card of SIS which i suppose is not compliant for
linux. could u please tell which video cards does linux support and if it
doesnt support SIS where do i get the drivers from ?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Steve Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux as a file server
Date: 13 Aug 1999 18:30:52 GMT

I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
could give them a try at home.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Steve

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L'acheteur)
Subject: Where can I download The Redhat logo??
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:56:07 GMT

I like the Redhat logo, does anyone knows where or which website can I
dowload the Wallpaper scaled Redhat logo for my desktop wallpaper??
Thk in advance!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Williams)
Subject: Re: Linux as a file server
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:39:03 GMT

In article <7p1o8s$hnn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
>file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
>Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
>the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
>simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
>If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
>could give them a try at home.

You need to use samba on the server side and Microsoft client for Microsoft
Networks which is included in all Windows 95/98/NT's to allow the
workstations to log in.  Your probably using the client for ms networks now to
share files between the workstations.

------------------------------

From: Steve Maughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rename root account?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:43:18 +0100

I was wondering: is there a way to create another user account with root priviladges
but with a different name?

I've tried creating another user (called "jim" for example) with user id set to 0
(like root), but when I access that account, a "whoami" reveales that I am root. This
is not what i want - i want it to say i am "jim". Is ther any way to do this?

I'm running RH Linux, kernel 2.0.36.

--
Steve Maughan

    Don't run away from your problems
    Riding is much faster

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:50:44 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sound module failed

Hi,
I have the EXACT same problem - I have posted here, above your message
under title "more problems with sndconfig" and someone replied:

I don't know the correct solution.  I do know that turning off sounds in
Gnome
eliminated the problem for me.

I am not sure if this is working either; please let me know if you find
out.

Thanks a lot,
Farnoosh

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey C. Dege)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:48:35 GMT

On 13 Aug 1999 12:40:19 GMT, Richard Kulisz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hasler  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>The government has already intervened, and it has done so to prevent the
>>market from producing optimum results.  Only copyright law prevents Cheap
>>Bytes from selling Win98 CD's for $1.99.
>>
>>Market "failures" that are "corrected" by government action always turn out
>>to be failures to produce the results desired by those in power.
>
>The *existence* of a market is due to government intervention. Markets
>of things cannot exist without property and property is established by
>government coercion, by the Law and the threat of force.

Markets depend upon people cooperating and agreeing to a common set of
rules, no more.

What you seem to be saying is that people only cooperate when forced
to by governmental force.

I don't believe this to be true.

--
Tempore brumali vir patiens.
Animo vernali Lasciviens.

        O, o, totus floreo,
        jam amore virginali totus ardeo,
        novus, novus amor est, quo pereo.

------------------------------

From: "Hale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Ready to TRASH SuSE 6.1
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:47:23 GMT

Kppp is a bit buggy and that could be a problem...

you can set your networking properties using YAST by entering your isp
domain and DNS under
system admin > network configuration.  See section 6.0 of the manual.

For what it's worth I started with SuSE6.1 knowing nothing about Linux and
had the machine set up in a couple of days. The manual is excellent. I am
having a whale of a time configuring the machine to my hearts content.

Good luck.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (EugeneK)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:46:51 GMT

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:28:36 -0400, Rajesh RAdhakrishnan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have Redhat 5.2 on my PC and thinking of switching to Redhat 6.0
>(using the CD from Cheapbytes)
>
>Wanted to know how I can update to RedHat 6.0 without tampering any of
>the stuff  I have already
>installed on my PC.
>
>Thanks
>Rajesh

That's exactly what I did (I even have Chip Bits RH CDs). Proceed with
install as usual, at one point it'll ask you if you want to install or
upgrade. Answer "upgrade". All your settings will stay.

The only problem I found - for some reson it removed my alias
ls to ls --color. Other than that no problems.

Eugene.

------------------------------

From: Gerhard Miksic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: software raid0 and bm-dma problem
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:22:51 +0200

Hello all,

First of all, pardon me, this is (nearly) a kind of cross posting, but
it's a serious problem and this posting is the "extended" version.

I have a really strange problem with software-raid and bm-dma since I
have
upgraded one of my harddisks.

System description:
Mainboard: GigaByte 586-HX 1.56 with Madex cpu adapter and AMD K6-III
400, 160 MB ram, Intel HX (Triton II) chipset.
OS is Suse 6.0 with kernel 2.0.37, that makes "old" raidtools and mdtab
format.

Disk hda is the new drive, a Maxtor 15 GB udma-66 drive with 7.200 rpm.
It is connected as a single drive to ide channel one. It replaces an
older IBM Deskstar 3.1 GB ide drive.
I know that the mainboard is maxed out with either pio mode 4 or multi
word dma mode 2 (max. 16.6 MB/s each).
Disk sda is a Seagate Medalist pro 6.2 GB uw-scsi drive with 7.200 rpm.
Disk hdc is a 2.5 GB Seagate Medalist pro ide/ata drive and connected as

master (slave ist a creative 32x cdrom) to ide channel 2.
bios modes are set to auto for all drives.

Raid-0 device md0 consists of /dev/hda6 and /dev/sda2 with approx. 11.8
GB capacity.
Raid-0 device md1 consists of /dev/hda5 and /dev/hdc1 with approx. 4.4
GB capacity.
Raid-0 chunk sizes are the 4k default.
Ext2-fs block sizes are the 1k default.
I use the following commands in /etc/rc.d/boot for both drives:
hdparm -d1 -X34 -W1 -m16 -k1 -K1 -A1 /dev/hdx
This enables dma, sets dma mode to multi word dma mode 2, enables write
caching, sets block mode to 16, keeps these drive settings beyond (ide)
reset, enables read ahead mode.

The problem:
There have never been errors with my old ide-first channel + ide second
ch. raid-0 using the ibm and seagate ide disks. The raid 0 performance
boost was remarkable then.

There are no errors of any kind for /dev/md0, the mixed scsi-ide raid-0
device md0 which is by far the quickest one.

Using device /dev/md1 I always get ide resets (e.g. 6 to 10 resets with
"bonnie -s 300") with disk hda (the new Maxtor drive). A fsck /dev/md1
at startup gives tons of reset statements.
The error says (out of memory) irq timeout - reason 0x0d - and then "ide

reset succesful" if "keep settings" is activated via hdparm and "dma
disbled" if not
I have already played around with different settings of hdparm, changed
the ide cables several times, used different bios settings - all to no
avail. I recompiled the kernel with different options, used the older
2.0.36 - without any success so far.
I used different block and chunk sizes for md1 and the ext2 file system,

too. Surprisingly for me, if chunk and block size are both 4k, it works
best, but even then not error free (still one or two ide resets with
"bonnie -s 300")
There are no errors of that kind (but inferior performance) if I disable

multi block transfer on hda with "hdparm -m0 or -m1 /dev/hda".

But again, using the same drive (another partition of course) in
/dev/md0 together with the scsi disk, everything works fine, even with
hdparm settings for best performance.
If I wouldn't use the -k1 and -K1 (keep settings) switches with hdparm,
the drive would be resetted to the worst values, performance then is
much lower, of course with both raid devices as well as the (non-raid)
root partition.

I don't have the slightest idea what's going on here.
Any help will be appreciated! Please help.

TIA and best regards
Gerhard

ps
Yes, I did read the f* manual...

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,fj.net.media.ethernet,comp.os.linux.ansers,comp.os.linux.hardawe,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Delaying eth0 initialization!!!
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:08:53 GMT

Kevin Wong wrote:

> When I start up RedHat Linux 6.0!~
> and When "Bring up eth0"
> It said:
>            "Delaying eth0 initialization"
>
> and when I type "ifup eth0"
>
> It also said:
>            "Delaying eth0 initialization"
>
> How to fix this problem?
> THANK YOU FOR REPLY!

Do you have the appropriate driver available either compiled into the
kernel or as a module? If yes, is it setup correctly regarding the I/O
and IRQ?

Vilmos

--
Looking for a job in British Columbia.
Have you recompiled your kernel today?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TurkBear)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:33:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (EugeneK) wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:28:36 -0400, Rajesh RAdhakrishnan
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have Redhat 5.2 on my PC and thinking of switching to Redhat 6.0
>>(using the CD from Cheapbytes)
>>
>>Wanted to know how I can update to RedHat 6.0 without tampering any of
>>the stuff  I have already
>>installed on my PC.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Rajesh
>>

>That's exactly what I did (I even have Chip Bits RH CDs). Proceed with
>install as usual, at one point it'll ask you if you want to install or
>upgrade. Answer "upgrade". All your settings will stay.
>
>The only problem I found - for some reson it removed my alias
>ls to ls --color. Other than that no problems.
>
>Eugene.

Another potential problem :

If your kernel is newer than the one in RedHat 6, you will lose any enhancements
the newer kernel provided....I cannot upgrade because the RH6 kernel fails to
find my PCI/SCSI drives...the RH6 kernel seem to have a problem ( as did the
original 5.2 one) with my setup, so I continue to use 5.2 ( now at kernel
2.3.12) )
.

   http://www.newsfeeds.com       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
======== Over 73,000 Newsgroups = Including  Dedicated  Binaries Servers =======

------------------------------

From: Habibi4me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Parition vs Logical Parition
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:55:34 -0400

Can anyone care to comment on the pro and cons about physical vs logical
partition on a hard drive knowing that the a hard drive is only limited
to four partitions.

PS. Remove "4m" from e-mail address to enable reply.

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:10:05 GMT

Steve Grant wrote:

> I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
> file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
> Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
> the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
> simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
> If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
> could give them a try at home.

Hi,

http://www.samba.org is what you are looking for.

From: Kingsley Tart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best Linux dist for running SCO software?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:51:35 +0100

> I run SCo binaries on RH 5.2 but they will not run at all on RH 6.0. I
> suspect iBCS is not install on RH 6.0 by default.

I've now installed RH 5.2 and selected the iBCS module at setup. I've
transferred the contents of /bin on our SCO box to /bin/sco on the
Linux machine, I've put that directory in the path and have renamed
all of the SCO executables to have ".sco" on the end so that I can be
sure which version I am running.

Things still aren't quite right though. Any ideas?

--8<--
[root@redhat /root]# cd /tmp
[root@redhat /tmp]# ls
install.log               linuxconf-rpminstall.log
[root@redhat /tmp]# ls | grep "l"
install.log
linuxconf-rpminstall.log
[root@redhat /tmp]# ls | grep.sco "l"
bash: /bin/sco/grep.sco: No such file or directory
[root@redhat /tmp]# type grep.sco
grep.sco is hashed (/bin/sco/grep.sco)
[root@redhat /tmp]# ls -l /bin/sco/grep.sco
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        30396 Aug 13 13:00 /bin/sco/grep.sco
[root@redhat /tmp]# type grep
grep is hashed (/bin/grep)
[root@redhat /tmp]#
--8<--

Cheers,
Kingsley.

From: "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Backup scripts, IP firewalling and IP masquerading
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:14:42 -0700

I posted some backup scripts I wrote on http://home.earthlink.net/~simpson3.
These scripts dump a set of filesystems to a large SCSI tape drive (such as
a DAT) drive using the dump(8) and restore(8) programs that come with Linux.

Also, on that page is a description of IP firewalling and IP masquerading.
A sample script to set these up is contained there too.
    Scott