  Microsoft FrontPage® 2000 Server Extensions for Linux... ("test")

From: "Andrew Hatfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: redhat 6.0 secure  ttys
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:47:16 +1000

Hi, i have only just upgraded our RedHat 5.2 server to 6.0

the /etc/securetty file contained console ttys and ttyp0-5 so that we could
do a remote root login, but now it doesn't work

the reason is that when you do a telnet login to redhat 6, it gives you the
tty /dev/pts/0 (like solaris)

when i put pts/0 pts/1,etc into /etc/securetty it doesn't do anything (that
i can see anyway)

what do i need to do so that i can do a remote root login???

--

Andrew Hatfield
Tech-Support Engineer

Hatfield & Associates Pty. Ltd.
Phone : +61 7 3849 7155
Fax : +61 7 3849 6277
Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web : http://www.hatfields.com.au/

begin 666 Andrew Hatfield.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..DAA=&9I96QD.T%N9')E=PT*
M1DXZ06YD<F5W($AA=&9I96QD#0I/4D<Z2&%T9FEE;&0@)B!!<W-O8VEA=&5S
M(%!T>2X@3'1D+CM496-H(%-U<'!O<G0-"E1)5$Q%.E1E8V@M4W5P<&]R="!%
M;F=I;F5E<@T*5$5,.U=/4DL[5D])0T4Z*S8Q(#<@,[EMAIL PROTECTED] W,34U#0I414P[
M5T]22SM&05@Z*S8Q(#<@,[EMAIL PROTECTED] V,C<W#0I!1%([5T]22SM%3D-/1$E.1SU1
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"#0H`
`
end

------------------------------

From: "Ritz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Configurazione modem
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 16:53:47 +0200

Ho un problema con Linux Red Hat 6.0: dopo aver configurato correttamente il
modem, la connessione non riesce perchè la periferica cerca di accedere alla
rete (almeno così è scritto). Come faccio a disabilitare questa opzione?
Grazie.

From: Carlo Gobbato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo with RH6.0
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 11:08:57 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Have lilo 21 on RH6.0. After recompiling the kernel (which was about
> 480K compressed, down from about 610K for the default kernel), lilo
> complained the kernel was too large and wouldn't install with the new
> kernel.
>
> Any idea why this is so? (or is the kernel really too large?)
>
> Thanks
> Shumin

I had the same problem. After reinstalling the whole RedHat (radical
solution!) anything was working with the same kernel configuration.

--
Please Replace "nospam" with my surname in the email address.
                             ___
                            >^|°<
                             \-/

------------------------------

From: "Jack Zhu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.oracle.misc,comp.databases,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Oracle8i for LINUX?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 02:32:29 -0400

this month.

------------------------------

From: DonJr <donjr@[127.0.0.1]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: can't connect to my isp using kppp
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:47:06 -0400

Bev wrote:

> Melle wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > i've got a problem with my RH5.2 distribution of linux! i configured kppp
> > the way it was shown in several comp-magazines for logging in at my isp's
> > server using PAP - but it doesn't work at all.
> > the modem dials properly, but it fails to log in. my isp said that my login,
> > password and servername should be added to the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets,
> > but i don't know how in detail. there are two lines of introduction: the
> > format of an entry should be something like:
> > client            server  secrets            IP adresses
> > but what does this mean? i'm not good in English at all (you may have
> > noticed that already *grin*) since i'm from Germany, hmm.
> > if you know the answer to my problem please mail me to:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > thanx,            Melle
>
> We could never get it to work under RH either, so we just copied over the
> files from our slackware installation.  Here is what the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> file should look like:
>
>         # Secrets for authentication using PAP...
>         # client        server       secret        IP addresses
>         "yourloginname"   *   "yourpassword"
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev
> "We thought of one of those discount store caskets, but, frankly, we
>  were worried about the quality."             -- mortuary commercial

Basicaly put "kppp" is not written for the Red Hat Dastro and will not
work without major configuration change.

The easiest way I've found to setup pppd under RH 5.2 or RH 6.0 is:
  # linuxconf   { either under X or text mode take you pick}
     - Networking
       - Client tasks
          Select PPP/SLIP/PLIP
            Click the ADD button
             Make sure PPP is selected
              Click the Accept button
                Fill in the following fields
                  Phone Number
                  Modem Port
                  Click the use PAP check button
                  Login Name
                  Password
              Click the Customize button
                Select Allow any user (de)activate the interface
           Click the Accept button
         Click the quit button on the PPP/SLIP/PLIP page
         Select Name server specification (DNS)
           Fill in the Name Server Information asked by this page.
         Click the Accept button
      Click the Quit button
      Press enter on the next screen to apply the updates.

Now at the command prompt
  $ /sbin/ifup ppp0        will bring up the connection
  $ /sbin/ifdown ppp0      will bring down the connection

Under X simplily load the program "usernet" is a simple to use one to
get you started, though there are other choices out there.

RedHat 5.2 and 6.0 versions of the Linux Dastro's are simple enough,
even a MicroS*t user should be able to set it up.
 It's a whole lot simpler then MS-Widows to install and setup.

--
 -----------------------
  Don E. Groves, Jr.

  I'll add a witty saying here later.
  Such as:
   Give a man a fish and he will eat now.
   Teach him to fish and he will ........
    ... drink beer by to pond all day with his new friends.

================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eddie Atherton)
Subject: Segmentation Fault During mkisofs
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 07:22:20 GMT

Hi,

I'm running a 2.2.6 kernel on a Slackware 4.0 system.

Trying to create a CD image I get a Segmentation Fault running
mkisofs.

Anyone any ideas why, or how to track down the problem, or circumvent
it.

-Cheers,

Eddie

Remove ONYERBIKE to e-mail me.

------------------------------

From: SLK230 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: HELP: 3Com 100BaseT/56K card under Linux 6.0
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 00:38:44 -0700

Hello all,
I've been trying to iinstall dual boot Linux 6.0/NT Workstation 4.0 on
my Dell Latitude CPi laptop. The installation went OK, except for my
3COM 100BaseT/56Modem card is not working under Linux....Please
help...Thanks
Vincent Phan

------------------------------

From: DonJr <donjr@[127.0.0.1]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Can't connect to my ISP yet, here's the pppd-output...
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 03:58:36 -0400

Melle wrote:

> Hi,
> it's me again and the problem is still alive ... I can't connect to my ISP
> running RH5.2.
> But I got the idea of posting the pppd-output, maybe one of you out there
> can do something with it to help me ;-)) It would be great.
>
> Here it is:
> -------------------
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: Using interface ppp0
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
> Jun  4 19:19:18 PC pppd[456]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xfba16783>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xfba16783>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:19:21 PC pppd[456]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <magic 0xfba16783>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:19:44 PC pppd[456]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Jun  4 19:19:44 PC pppd[456]: Modem hangup
> Jun  4 19:19:44 PC pppd[456]: Connection terminated.
> Jun  4 19:19:45 PC pppd[456]: Exit.
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: Using interface ppp0
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
> Jun  4 19:21:22 PC pppd[464]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xebee4560>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xebee4560>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth
> Jun  4 19:21:25 PC pppd[464]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <magic 0xebee4560>
> <pcomp> <accomp>]
> Jun  4 19:21:47 PC pppd[464]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Jun  4 19:21:47 PC pppd[464]: Modem hangup
> Jun  4 19:21:47 PC pppd[464]: Connection terminated.
> Jun  4 19:21:48 PC pppd[464]: Exit.
> -------------
>
> I know my provider is using CHAP authentification and that I have to add
> username + password to the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets, but using kppp it tells me
> (I have the German version, the English output may differ):
>
>         modem ready
>         dialing <number>
>         network login
>
> Then (after some 30 seconds) it hangs up the modem. But: I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!
> Please help me, thanx.
>
>                 Melle

Basicaly put "kppp" is not written for the Red Hat Dastro and will not
work without major configuration changes.

The easiest way I've found to setup pppd under RH 5.2 or RH 6.0 is:
  # linuxconf   { either under X or text mode take you pick}
     - Networking
       - Client tasks
          Select PPP/SLIP/PLIP
            Click the ADD button
             Make sure PPP is selected
              Click the Accept button
                Fill in the following fields
                  Phone Number
                  Modem Port
                  Click the use PAP check button if using pap
                    { Or try PAP even if the ISP says use CHAP
                      Because the may support it for there
                      MS-Windows users. And Not realize that pppd
                      under Linux can do the same thing.
                    }
                  Login Name
                  Password
              Click the Customize button
                Select Allow any user (de)activate the interface
                Study the other pages

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Olsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 7 Jun 1999 08:11:27 GMT

Don E. Groves, Jr. wrote:
> Basicaly put "kppp" is not written for the Red Hat Dastro and will not
> work without major configuration change.

I'm using kppp to connect to my ISP (MindSpring) on a Red Hat 6.0 system;
it works almost flawlessly.  I've also successfully used kppp on Red Hat 5.2.

Make sure you have the latest version of kppp (from kdenetwork-1.1.1)
and ppp version 2.3.7 or 2.3.8, and that you configure kppp appropriately
for your ISP.

--
        Ron Olsen
        Boulder Colorado

From: "Alexander Simon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Voice/Data/Fax server
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:16:05 +0200

I want to use my Server for an Voice/Fax/Data (samba) server.
Do you know any software for this?

------------------------------

Subject: StarOffice 5.1, missing "soffice", redhat 6.0
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Torda)
Date: 7 Jun 1999 18:49:09 +1000

I ran the install for StarOffice 5.1 with no problems.
Everything chugs along and finished without complaint.
Now, there is no "Office51/bin/soffice" file. Really.
In fact, the only executable in the bin directory is
"setup.bin" which is not very interesting.
Where on earth is this file ?

find office_path -name 'soffice' convinces me it is really not
there !

Absolutely everything else seems to be in place.
There are lots of happily populated directories like bin, cde,
config and so on.
This happened with RedHat 6.0.
I did not choose any particularly strange options during
installation, except for not asking for kde or other special
interfaces.
I would be grateful for any suggestions.
-Andrew
--
This posting is not merely my opinion.  It is the official position
of my employer, the Australian National University.

------------------------------

From: "Nico Oosthuizen" <giantnic*nospam*@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wordperfect for Linux installation problem
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:44:52 +0200

This has actually happened to me as well, I posted basically the same
message a couple of days ago...

If you learn something interresting, please let me know...

Nico Oosthuizen

news:7j69ce$q7t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Olsen)
Subject: Re: sound recording software
Date: 7 Jun 1999 07:41:29 GMT

Chris Eastwood wrote:
> I am considering installing caldera on my machine at home and I was wondering
> if there are any packages out there for this platform that would allow me to
> record my LP's onto MP3 format.
> I know that I can buy some stuff that works well on PC platform, any
> suggetions?

I've been using Broadcast 2000 to record my LPs on a Red Hat 6.0 system;
it should also work on Caldera.

Broadcast 2000 has excellent editing capabilities that let you customize fade
in, fade out, edit out ticks and pops, etc.  See
http://heroine.tampa.fl.us/bcast2000/index2.html

For other options, check the Linux sound applications page at
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linux_soundapps.html

--
        Ron Olsen
        Boulder Colorado

From: Oliver Gebele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FORTRAN common-blocks in GDB
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 13:36:25 +0200

Hello everyone,

i used ddd (with gdb) to debug a short fortran-test-program
and found out that i can see the fortran common-blocks
(despite the gdb-info-page) but only as a "byte stream"
isn=B4t it possible to display this as 4-byte integers?

who knows more about fortran debugging with gdb, than
the info page says?

thanx & solong, oliver

------------------------------

From: "test" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microsoft FrontPage® 2000 Server Extensions for Linux...
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:12:25 GMT

http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/frontpage/wpp/

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/frontpage/fp40.linux.tar.Z
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/frontpage/change_server.sh
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/frontpage/fp_install.sh

Get those files and you're set...

USENET support...
Installing and administering UNIX server extensions for FrontPage: