Linux-Misc Digest #646, Volume #20               Tue, 15 Jun 99 15:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux Kernel v2.2.10 Changes (Marc Mutz)
  problem building freeWAIS under Linux (Mark Watson)
  Re: Linux jingle (Jeff Shern)
  Re: making linux go away (Joe Pfeiffer)
  Re: Which GUI? (Roberto Alsina)
  Disk Partitioning Questions (Dave)
  Permissions? (paul)
  Re: How to tell how fast the modem is going (Bill Unruh)
  tar problems (neil tingley)
  Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks ("ajr-5")
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Anahata)
  Re: Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem ("Mountain Mike^^")
  copy files from win98 hd to linux hd ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: WABI question (Dr Vincent C Jones PE)
  Re: How do I print manpage? (Marc Mutz)
  Bridge (Jedi Master Yoda)
  Re: tar problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SuSE vs Red Hat? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: copy files from win98 hd to linux hd (Marc Mutz)
  Re: SuSE 6.1 ok to buy ? (Marc Mutz)
  Stanford University performance workshop (Perfskool)
  Re: A Capitalists view of freedom (Ken Arromdee)
  --> Session disconnects in a telnet session <-- ("Mahmood Ezad Butt")

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:04:36 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Kernel v2.2.10 Changes

Hi test!

It kinda fits that you posted this one anonymously, so no-one can see
who is this guy that cannot read.
Two things:
1) What you posted is not what was asked for. I have the same problem. I
do not want to install 2.2.10 because I do not know what has changed.
2) Instead of posting lots of kBytes (useless ones), you could have
given the URL (e.g. /usr/src/linux-2.2.10/Documentation/Changes).

Well, to answer the original post, I just say
http://www.kernelnotes.org/kpatch22.html,
although it might take some days to actually display what you wanted.
You could study the patch file though, but I guess that is not an
alternative (it is none to me...).

Marc

------------------------------

From: Mark Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.wais
Subject: problem building freeWAIS under Linux
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:00:19 -0700

I was not able to easily build freeWAIS under Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
(uses glib2.2, new kernel).

Has anyone done this?

Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark Watson

------------------------------

From: Jeff Shern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux jingle
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:27:49 -0600

Where do you want to go today, 'cause I'll go get you a cab.

------------------------------

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: making linux go away
Date: 15 Jun 1999 11:03:02 -0600

"John Sowden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I read the responses, just flames.  The problem is you are asking a valid
> question.  I also need to know how to remove Linux from a hard drive, as I
> am installing a new copy (caldera) and it doen't discuss in the newbie part
> about installing over an existing linux os.

Check your news feed -- you aren't getting everything.  Variations on
this question seem to be asked roughly every two weeks, and (in
amongst the jokes) somebody always responds with

1) lilo -u
2) fdisk /mbr
3) partition magic
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which GUI?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:15:13 GMT

> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:10:48 GMT, Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
> >I'll just answer to a very small point:
> >
> >> Window Maker:
> >> Not as small as IceWM, but not even as large as KDE's BASE backage.
> >
> >Window Maker is a window manager (plus an app launcher?)
> >
> >KDEBase includes: Window Manager, app launcher, taskbar, pager,
> >background changer, file manager, web browser, find tool, terminal
> >emulators (2 of them), icon collection, backgrounds collection (140
> >images), screen savers (19 of them), HTML based help browser with
> >support for man and info pages, and more.
>
> I know, I was referring to download times. On a 28.8 connection, the
> difference between 7 megs and 2 megs is quite signifigant.

Sure. About 250% ;-)

> BTW - Window Maker also includes a handfull of themes, several icons,
and
> backgrounds. Quite frankly, (if you are a KDE developer), you should
> seperate the extraneous from the KDE base package. A web browser?!

Well, KDE doesn't aim to be a window manager, thus the definition of
base functionality for KDE and WM is obviously different.

In the context of KDE's goals, the web browser belongs there.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Disk Partitioning Questions
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:28:17 -0400

I wish to run the following on my computer:

Win95 (only because of my job...)
Slackware 3.5
Slackware 4.0

I am currently running Slackware 3.5 and Win95 dual-boot.  I bought a
new HD to allow me to do this, but have run into problems partitioning
it the way I want.  I ran across what seems to be a limit on extended
partitions which I was unaware of.

On the new 17.5gb drive I had installed as a third drive in my PC I
had allocated a primary partition of 2gb for win95 then 5 1gb logical
drives in an extended partition. I then allocated a second primary
partition under Linux.  Once I did this I could no longer allocate any
logical drives. I removed the second primary partition and still could
not allocate an additional logical drive. I then tried creating another
extended partition but fdisk won't allow that.

Why is this? Is it because the extended partition's size is set when the

partition table is written to the disk? Can it be adjusted? Why can't I
have a second extended partition as long as I am still under the limit
of 4 primary partitions?

   Please help!

        Thanks,
         Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (paul)
Subject: Permissions?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:37:01 GMT

i appear to be unable to access or view very little without getting
the message "permission denied"
How can i change this? (SUSE 6.0)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: How to tell how fast the modem is going
Date: 15 Jun 1999 01:36:19 GMT

In <7k44e0$dft$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert B. Love )
writes:

>OK, I buy a 56K modem for my PPP connection but am annoyed to
>find I don't know how to display the actual rate that is
>achieved.  What utility, either cmd-line or GUI can I use to
>monitor the modem's achieved rate?   Thanx in advance for all
>tips.

Look through your modem manual to see which AT command tells the modem
to report the connect rate ( not the computer to modem rate) together
with the CONNECT messages.
Then run chat with the -v option and lok in the log file set up for
local2.* in /etc/syslog.conf (eg /var/log/messages)

------------------------------

From: neil tingley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tar problems
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 02:50:28 +0000

Hi

I'm having some problems with using TAR correctly

I want to  backup /etc and /home/<user> in a cron job. How do I do this
pls (tried all sorts of combinations)

here's a line in my crontab - this is one I tried ...

05 19 * * 1,2,3,4,5 tar -cfv /home/neil /etc > /var/backup/backup.tar

Thanks

Neil

Neil Tingley - Excite UK
Web Production Engineer
+44 171 447 1850 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Wine is cool, LINUX is HOT"

------------------------------

From: "ajr-5" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:24:29 -0700

<snip>

> If we all smart as Bill Gates, he wouldn't be as rich as tody. Just
> because he noticed PC will have feuture before IBM did. So we got
> windows today.

Actually, IBM hired Billy Gates to build them DOS, so actually, IBM thought
the PC had a future as well. And furthermore Windowz was copied from Mac so
don't give Gates too much credit. If Macs didn't have a GUI who knows what
we would have today...

BTW: I'm not defending Macs, that's just the way it is (was)...

------------------------------

From: Anahata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:39:38 +0100

The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Some older BIOS code was brain-dead regarding reading anything
>past cylinder 1024 (or maybe that's LILO having to work with
>brain-dead INT 13 interfaces; I dunno, now).

LILO has to use int13, or else it would have to include disk drivers,
which might have to include any SCSI adapters supported by Linux, and
then it would be too big to allow installation in the boot sector.

Anahata

[EMAIL PROTECTED] + http://www.freereed.demon.co.uk/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] email to mobile phone 8 line messages max
0171 638 5577 (W)    0171 229 6076 (H)     0976 263827 (mobile)

------------------------------

From: "Mountain Mike^^" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:07:50 -0700

Rui Soutelino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7k399c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Thanks for the info, by now I´m really convinced that it's a Winmodem, but
> believe that I found the solution for the problem!

I've been trying to research which modems are Win and which are not. The
confusion lies in the many recent changes made by the mfgs. Does anyone have
a list of those that are REALLY compatible with Linux? Maybe suggest a
printer or two also?

MM^^<--thinks there is a conspiracy out there.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: copy files from win98 hd to linux hd
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:52:34 GMT

I have a great many number of linux apps that i d-loaded on my win98
comp i'm wondering if there is a prog out there that when i hook my
win98 hd to linux or my my linux hd into my 98 comp so that i can move
file from one to the other

Daub

Subject: Re: WABI question
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr Vincent C Jones PE)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:58:39 -0400

In article <7k4hbh$1o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Can you print while running a Windows 3.1 program running under
>WABI?  Can you go into the control panel and into the printer menu to
>adjust print quality settings and what not?

Yes you can print with no problems from any Windows 3.1 program that
uses windows to do its printing (your printers spools look like network
printers).

Yes you can adjust print settings for supported printers in the control
panel, but WABI only supports some printer drivers and provides its own
PCL driver. PostScript has problems with Word for Windows depending upon
which postscript driver you use...with Windows drivers it puts a blank
page between every real page. With Adobe's latest 16bit postscript
driver, it prints just fine but the printer configuration dialog boxes
are a mess.

-
Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE              Expert advice and a helping hand
Computer Network Consultant           for those who want to manage and
Networking Unlimited, Inc.            control their networking destiny
14 Dogwood Lane, Tenafly, NJ
http://www.networkingunlimited.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  +1 201 568-7810  Fax: +1 201 568-6626

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:55:01 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I print manpage?

Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

> I usually print text files with command:
>
>         pr -l 62 -f file_name | lpr
>
> How can I print manpage with the same settings?
>
> Currently I do it this way:
>
>         man page_name > buf
>         pr -l 62 -f buf | lpr
>
> This way I get page formatting for the screen (date, name of the page and so on
> are in the middle of the sheet of paper).
You'll be amazed what
man -t page_name | lpr
does!

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jedi Master Yoda)
Subject: Bridge
Date: 14 Jun 99 14:47:46 GMT

Does anyone know of a decent Bridge game for Linux/X? Actually, it
doesn't even have to be decent. I can't find anything of the sort. I
refuse to believe that _no-one_ has had a go at it.

JMY

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: tar problems
Date: 15 Jun 1999 14:04:19 GMT

In his obvious haste, neil tingley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:

: Hi

: I'm having some problems with using TAR correctly

: I want to  backup /etc and /home/<user> in a cron job. How do I do this
: pls (tried all sorts of combinations)

: here's a line in my crontab - this is one I tried ...

: 05 19 * * 1,2,3,4,5 tar -cfv /home/neil /etc > /var/backup/backup.tar

More likely something like

tar -cvf /var/backup/backup.tar /home/neil; tar -uvf /var/backup/backup.tar /etc

The filename of the TAR file should always follow the 'f' flag.
The -u flag means update rather than create, which allows a growing tar
file.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|   Andrew Halliwell Bsc   |  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: SuSE vs Red Hat?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 13:57:37 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst Stephen E. Halpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
eloquently scribe:
: For me, the selection of packages was by far the worst part of the
: installation.

I've never used one of the standard setups.
If you go down into "Change/Create Configuration", your presented with a
much more detailed view of what's installed, including descriptions of each
package, and a list of files contained in it. (By pressing F2).

IMO, SuSE is much nicer in this department than Red Hat (5.2).

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|   Andrew Halliwell Bsc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:53:52 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: copy files from win98 hd to linux hd

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a great many number of linux apps that i d-loaded on my win98
> comp i'm wondering if there is a prog out there that when i hook my
> win98 hd to linux or my my linux hd into my 98 comp so that i can move
> file from one to the other

linux can mount vfat filesystems (ie. the ones used by win98). So you
should put the win hd into the linux box. Or consider buying network
cards. They start at 10$.

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:16:05 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.1 ok to buy ?

Raghu Yedatore wrote:

> I am new to the Linux world. When I assembled my PC, I set a 2Gig
> partition
> aside for Linux.
>
> I can buy SuSE 6.1 for $30.00. I missed the thread on the same topic by
> Dave Brown because
> those articles had expired. RH6.0 costs about 70 bucks.
>
> With SuSE, I'll also get CDs for StarOffice5.0.
Nope, I don't think so. I don't think you will not get the extras
StarDiv. ships with it's CD's.

> Is it ok to use install SuSE ? or Should I go RH6.0 way ?

If you are really new to Linux, try Caldera. It has automagic hardware
recognition and should ne the one that is easiest to install.

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perfskool)
Subject: Stanford University performance workshop
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:03:37 GMT

                        PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE METHODS
                        -----------------------------
                August 16-20, 1999

5-day Stanford University performance workshop.
Best attended course for the last two years!

1999 bookings have already exceeded previous years. Don't miss out!
Enroll now at http://wics.stanford.edu/registration/index.html

                                        OVERVIEW
                                        --------
Instructors:
        Dr. Neil Gunther (Lead instructor)
        Performance Dynamics Consulting
        Author of THE PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE ANALYST
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0079129463/002-6465930-1288239

        Adrian Cockcroft (Co-instructor)
        Sun Microsystems - Enterprise Server Division
        Co-author of SUN PERFORMANCE and TUNING
        http://www.sun.com/books/catalog/Cockcroft/Cockcroft.html

Attendees receive a copy of BOTH book along with 500 pages of notes.

Class timetable can be viewed at:
http://members.aol.com/CoDynamo/Training.wics.htm

Topics include:
- Techniques for the analysis of performance data
- Techniques for enterprise capacity planning
- Queueing theory made simple
- Web server sizing and planning
- Sizing for OLTP and DSS workloads
- Clusters, SMP and MPP scalability
- Real-world case studies
- Competitive analysis of performance mgmt tools

plus more. We hope to see you there!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Arromdee)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:55:14 GMT

In article <7k62d5$ahg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jonathan Thornburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Note that the NRA _does_ advocate that private US citizens should be
>permitted to own machine guns.

The major problem right now with "machine gun" bans is that they tend to
define as automatic weapons, and then ban, a lot of guns that really aren't
automatic weapons and only fire one bullet per trigger pull.  There would
be much less opposition to machine gun bans if they only banned real machine
guns (which are very heavily restricted anyway).

>I believe they also extend this to
>tanks and antitank rockets, though I'm not certain of this.

Of course you're not certain, but you're going to insinuate it anyway.

>But strangely, even Americans who strongly favor private gun ownership
>usually seem to draw the line at private nuclear/biological/chemical
>"arms".  It's interesting to ponder why...

Because they can't be used for self-defense, hunting, or sport.  You're not
going to safely kill a deer with a nuclear weapon, and waving a container
of anthrax at a rapist is just silly.
--
       Ken Arromdee / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"I have never seen the inside of the building at Microsoft where the top
executives hang out, but I have this fantasy that in the hallways, at regular
intervals, big red alarm boxes are bolted to the wall. Each contains a large
red button protected by a windowpane. A metal hammer dangles on a chain next
to it. Above is a big sign reading: IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH IN MARKET SHARE,
BREAK GLASS." -- Neal Stephenson

------------------------------

From: "Mahmood Ezad Butt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: --> Session disconnects in a telnet session <--
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:14:22 -0400

I am getting connected to a Red Hat Linux 6.0 box thru a telent session in
winodws NT. After around 20-30 min of inactivity with the telnet session,
Linux automatically closes the session. Is there a parameter to change this
time or disable this feature.

Normally there is a TMOUT that can be set in profile but I don't see it in
the profile (not in the /etc/profile too). I am using /bin/ksh as my default
shell.

Thanks for your help.