Linux-Misc Digest #667, Volume #20               Thu, 17 Jun 99 01:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Syslog in Slackware 4.0 (L J Bayuk)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News ("Chad Mulligan")
  Auto Login and start app ("James Crawford")
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  capturing an image (roe)
  Re: SuSE 6.1 ok to buy ? (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: libc6 on a libc5 system? (Allin Cottrell)
  Linux and Network Hardware ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux? (David Fox)
  Re: DOS command line replacement (Kaya Imre)
  Netscape + java = crash (Ryan)
  Anyone got Soundblaster Live to work ("Ronald D. Haynes")
  Ok...need help with Banshee XF86Config] (Don Whitlow)
  Diald - FTP'ing my dynamic IP to my Web Page? (Eric Cartman)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (James Youngman)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (James Youngman)
  vfat question (Charles Wilkins)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News ("Chad Mulligan")
  Re: What are the differences between mySQL and mSQL? (James Youngman)
  Re: Secure network-backup via nfs? (James Youngman)
  Re: Linux systems- Poor security (fuctifino)
  How to reset modem after system crash? (David Guertin)
  Xwindows question (John Hong)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: Syslog in Slackware 4.0
Date: 17 Jun 1999 00:32:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Martin Svensson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>:
>: I've installed Slackware 4.0 on a new machine. When I look in
>: /var/log/syslog I get all these annoying lines.
>:
>: Jun 16 10:21:55 squid -- MARK --
>: Jun 16 10:41:55 squid -- MARK --
>: Jun 16 11:01:56 squid -- MARK --
>:
>: They come every 20 minutes. Does anyone know howto remove them ?
>: I've checked syslog.conf, but it doesn't say anything.
>
>They come from syslogd.  Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.M and modify the
>command to start /usr/sbin/syslogd by appending `-m XXX',
>where XXX is the time (in minutes) between MARKs in the syslog.
>Setting XXX to 0 turns off this feature (see the manpages for
>sysklogd for more info).

Careful. Unless he changed it from Slackware 3.6 and earlier,
syslogd is actually started in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 .
There is a syslogd start command in rc.M, but it isn't used
if networking is installed.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:19:52 -0700

Craig Kelley wrote in message ...
>"Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> >With 1 caveot:  Linux applications *are* Solaris applications.
>> >

>> Are they now..  Hmm does IE for Solaris run on RH6.0? How about Oracle
8.0?
>> Sun Net Manager? WABI?
>
>Strawman.
>
>> >Scalability concerns stem from the fear of not being able to give your
>> >applications enough horsepower.  If you develop open Linux solutions,
>> >you can always scale on up to any "big iron" UNIX you wish to.
>>
>> Actually, I would think that Scalability stems from having the data
>> available available to your customers, when they need it.  Big Iron's
days
>> are numbered.  I worked for an HMO that even clustered their IBM 390's to
>> ensure availability.  If you doubt the value of redundancy, check out a
VAX
>> cluster sometime, two to four machines acting as a single entity, you
could
>> run over one with a truck and the customers wouldn't notice.  That there
is
>> the key, the pieces can die, but the system must be available, it's a
notion
>> called fault tolerance.
>
>And Linux isn't able to cluster?  Is that your claim?
>
>You are avoiding the whole issue.
>
>Applications developed under Linux scale *better* than their NT
>counterparts.  The applications are what are important, not the OS.
>
>> >Sun, IBM and HP all understand this (and that is why they support
>> >Linux).
>> >

>> Can't speak for Sun, they've always been the Apple of the UNIX world to
me.
>> IBM also sells, and supports NT, The Domino Server will run on Solaris,
HP,
>> NT, OS/2 but Not Linux. (Lotus is an IBM subsidiary) HP and MS have a
fairly
>> close relationship as well.  HP PC's and servers come with NT preloaded
as
>> well, and some friends who work at the nearby HP campus speak fairly
openly
>> of an NT port to their systems in the works.  Compaq supports Linux too,
but
>> MS's website is almost completely Compaq machines.   You left out SGI,
they
>> used to be called MIPS if you recall, an early NT supporter, and current
>> one.  Then there's Intel, remember them, they're part of the glue that
keeps
>> this mess functioning they've got relationships with all these companies,
>> and more.  One must remember that Intel makes more than just processors.
>
>Yes.  Add SGI and Intel to my list.  Sorry about the omission.
>
>> >If you develop NT applications, your scalability lies in how many
>> >machines you can cluster.  (How many IIS servers does microsoft.com
>> >have again?)
>> >

>> 26 as I recall, in eight redundant clusters, supported by redundant fast
>> ethernet, supplied data by redundant SQL servers (something eBay should
>> consider) serving millions, yes millions of customers over redundant OC3
>> circuits, further backed up by multiple DS3's all from different vendors.
>> And the best part, as far as joe public is concerned, it's a single
entity.

>Try *67* 4-way SMP machines.
>
>  http://www.microsoft.com/BackStage/w-props/scenes.htm
>
>I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions.

Sorry I transposed the 26GB for the 42 machines handling that function.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/cdonline/serverop.htm

Web content servers

30 Quad P6 w/ 512M RAM
Windows NT Server 4.0 with SP4 and Internet Information Server 4.0.

Search servers

6 Quad P6 w/ 512M RAM
search.microsoft.com cluster

5  Quad P6 w/ 512M RAM
Knowledge Base article Search cluster.

Software download servers

42 Quad P6 w/ 512M RAM
Providing you with the 26 gigabytes of free software that Microsoft

130 other servers around the world in 51 countries.

Database servers

4 Quad p200 with 512 MB RAM.
Windows NT Server 4.0 and SQL Server 7.0.

I had posted this article a couple of weeks ago, after listening, endlessly
about how NT couldn't SMP, or Cluster, or stay up 99.8% of the time.

"In 1998, the Microsoft Web site team achieved the long-term goal set in
1997 to attain 99.8% availability. When talking about or referring to
availability, we have two classifications to increase granularity: server
availability and user availability - both of which are equally important.

Server availability refers to the overall healthiness of the site's servers.
This means the servers are "capable" of serving a request; that is, the
server is not in an unknown or locked state and the INETINFO process is
functioning correctly.

User availability is the experience the user has when she requests a page or
data from the site's servers. Does she receive the response that was
requested? Examples of user availability problems include error messages
such as the 500 Server Too Busy error. When you're looking at server
availability, this is OK since the server is still responding. For user
availability, it is not."

They achieved the 99.8% availability of the site, with a very heavy load.

But you can draw your own conclusions.

------------------------------

From: "James Crawford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Auto Login and start app
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:27:17 -0400

I'm fairly new to Linux, running Red Hat 6.0, how do you autologin a
workstation and start an x app to boot?  I have a certian application for a
pc and that is all it will be used for.

Thanks
James Crawford

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
Date: 17 Jun 1999 04:35:53 +1000

Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>"Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> >With 1 caveot:  Linux applications *are* Solaris applications.
>>
>> Are they now..  Hmm does IE for Solaris run on RH6.0? How about Oracle 8.0?
>> Sun Net Manager? WABI?

>Strawman.

Even worse --- a horrible failure of logic.

   let X be an app. Then the "caveot" says

       X is linux app   ===> X is Solaris app

which Chad tries to argue. However,  he does so by showing

   There exists an app Y such that

       Y is a Solaris app ===> Y is a linux app

   does not hold.

Of course, that is not surprising. After all, VW beetles are cars, i.e.

      X is VW beetle ===> X is car

while not all cars are VW beetles

      There exists a thing Y such that

           Y is a car ===> Y is a VW beetle

      does not hold.

What he would need to find is something that is _not a car_, and yet is
a VW beetle (or _not a Solaris app_, and yet a linux app).

Bernie
"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
                                           ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995

------------------------------

From: roe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: capturing an image
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 02:40:29 GMT

Is there an equivelant to Win9x capturing the image on the desktop?
Windows used alt-print screen.  Is there something I can use in linux to
do this?
And if so, where would I paste this image???

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To:  alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.1 ok to buy ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:09:40 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 00:56:21 +0200, David Goldstein wrote:

> Ray, I am using SuSE 6.0 and have been using SuSE since 5.1.  I really
>love this distro.  Anyway, I am going to tell you a little secret that
>is going to make your life with Linux even easier.  Edit your
>/etc/profile file.  Look for the paths at the beginning of the file.
>You'll see things like the following:
>
>PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:, etc....
>
>At the very end of this line add the following--:.

Security violation el severe-o. If someone were to get a trojan into my
home directory and call it "vi", I could lose all of my files. If root
were to access this trojan, I could find my passwd file e-mailed to a
newsgroup.

If your box is available to the outside world, you may want to remove the
:. from your path.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: libc6 on a libc5 system?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:33:39 -0400

David wrote:

> I'm trying to install an application on a redhat 4.2 distribution
> which needs a libc.so.6.  I know that newer
> glibc distros include libc5 libs for older apps to work correctly, but
> will this hold true for older distros to
> have libc6 so newer apps will run?

This is possible in principle, but potentially dangerous to the
health of your system.  Be sure not to over-write any basic
library files that are already there.  You may want to look at
recent versions of Slackware, which are still (alas!) libc5-
based, but which feature run-time support for glibc2.  Not that
you'd want to switch your system, but take a look at the packages
and see how they did it.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux and Network Hardware
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 01:10:09 GMT

Hello,

I attempted to install a second network card under RH 6, and in doing
so, I somehow buggered my pre-existing network configuration.

The original card, an ancient ISA NE2000 card is on IRQ 11, and I/O
0x300.  This was always running as eth0, with kernel module 'ne'.

The new card, an unknown LinkSys NIC included with a HomePNA package is
'supposed' to be on eth1, with IRQ & I/O port determined by probing.

Since Linux does not probe all cards if you have at least one ISA NIC
present, I specify the following LILO boot line:
  linux ether=11,0x300,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1
Which subsequently causes the module dependencies not to be found upon
start-up, disabling both interfaces.  In an attempt to at least restore
my original configuration, I disabled eth1, removed the appropriate
entries from /etc/conf.modules, and started Linux normally, but eth0
still cannot be established.

Can someone please help me out, before I go and buy an iMac (the fuchsia
one)  :o

Thanks for your help.

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux?
From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Date: 16 Jun 1999 19:10:00 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:49:03 GMT, Gravot wrote:
> >prefaced with a "win"?  I am especially curious about sound cards.  Is
> >there any one card that is more suitable than the rest? If so, what is
> >the reasoning?  Any favorites?
>
> Creative labs ISA cards are a snap to set up on linux. And you get to put a
> useless ISA slot to use (-;

But they don't sound particularly good (music-wise) if that is
something you are concerned about.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Kaya Imre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOS command line replacement
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:28:43 +0000

"Art S. Kagel" wrote:

> Kaya Imre wrote:
> >
> > Would someone please tell me how to implemet the DOS command
> >
> > copy a + b > prn
> >
> > in Linux
>
> cat a b > prn
>
> If you mean "concatenate files a & b into a file named prn".  If you
> mean to print the contents of files a & b to the standard printer try
> the following:
>
> cat a b >>/dev/lp0
>
> But either of the following is preferred since it uses the spooler
> queue:
>
> lpr a b
> cat a b | lpr
>
> Art S. Kagel

Thanks Art.  The latter is what I wanted.
--
  _     _
 |_|\_\|_|_| |_| |_|_|  \___|  www.math.nyu.edu/mfdd/imre

------------------------------

From: Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape + java = crash
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:35:08 -0500

I'm using Netscape Communicator with RedHat 6.0 on my box and it just dies
anytime it has to view a Java applet.  Is there any work-around for this?  How
about installing a Java VM?  Anything would help.  I want to view job listings
online and I can't get to some companies sites because my browser dies once it
gets near Java.

Thanks ahead of time,

Ryan C. Anderson
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ronald D. Haynes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone got Soundblaster Live to work
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:00:40 -0700

Hi, I am considering purchasing a system that has a Soundblaster Live
card in it...

I noticed on the SUSE /REDHAT sites that this card is not supported,
anyone
have any luck with a driver for it?

Thanks,
R Haynes

------------------------------

From: Don Whitlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ok...need help with Banshee XF86Config]
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:21:35 -0500

==============255BDB9340D2BF6D74D90843

Does anyone have a working XF86Config file they can share with me for a
Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee card? I downloaded the updated SVGA server
and XF86Setup file, but can't seem to get any resolutions better than
640x480x8bpp. I'd like to run 1024x768 x at least 15 or 16bpp.

Anyone got this working? If so, can you email me a copy of your
XF86Config file? Would be much appreciated, and save me a lot of hair.

Thanks,
Don

==============255BDB9340D2BF6D74D90843

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Cartman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Diald - FTP'ing my dynamic IP to my Web Page?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:03:38 GMT

Hello All,

I would like setup diald so that every time it connects, it FTPs the
dynamically assigned IP number to my web space on my ISP account.
That way, if I am elsewhere, I can find out where my machine is
currently connected.

Does anyone already have the scripts that do this?

Also, I would really like it if it could also post on the web site
right before going down that it is no longer connected.  But that is
probably harder, as that would cause the link to stay up.

Thanks much,

Eric

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:29:33 +0100

Stuart Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, mlw wrote:
>
> >XFree86 does not need to multitask programs because it run on operating
> >systems that naturally have this capability.
>
> My point exactly - Microsoft should have put multitasking (and a lot of
> the other things that windows does) in DOS, instead of in Windows.

Actually, they made an effort with DOS 4.0, but IMHO by then the
backward-compatibilty baggage prevented real progress, because there
were all these other applications hooking into interrupts to extend
DOS because it was so limited in the first place.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+actually

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:24:54 +0100

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If you look carefully at the Windows architecture, you will see all the
> OS extensions are provided by a 32bit flat memory model DPMI compatible
> program (The 386 Windows executive). This core provides multitasking x86
> virtual machines, virtual machines, and DOS adjuncts.

Indeed.  The version of DPMI to which this conforms (0.9) is so old
that it is no longer available from Intel, and hasn't been for at
least five years.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins)
Subject: vfat question
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:28:47 GMT

How do you do a change directory to a vfat directory that has a space
in it.

I do a ls -l and get a directory such as My documents.
then I do a cd My Documents and get an error.

I use a utility such as mc and it can move throught the directories
with no problem.

How can I from the command line?

Charles Wilkins  CNE / MCP / A+
Network Design Consultant
Practical Computer Solutions
http://www.pcscs.com
609-321-1530
609-321-0840 - fax

From: "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:31:43 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<7k8qq9$4m6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> Are they now..  Hmm does IE for Solaris run on RH6.0? How about Oracle
8.0?
>>> Sun Net Manager? WABI?
>
>>Strawman.
>
>Even worse --- a horrible failure of logic.
>
>   let X be an app. Then the "caveot" says
>
>       X is linux app   ===> X is Solaris app
>
>which Chad tries to argue. However,  he does so by showing
>
>   There exists an app Y such that
>
>       Y is a Solaris app ===> Y is a linux app
>
>   does not hold.
>
>Of course, that is not surprising. After all, VW beetles are cars, i.e.

I see you've forgotten that memorable slogan "It's not a car, it's a
volkswagen"

>      X is VW beetle ===> X is car

Incorrect, see above.

>while not all cars are VW beetles

If the first point is Null the rest of the logic falls off Occams Razor.

In a bloody mess.

>      There exists a thing Y such that
>
>           Y is a car ===> Y is a VW beetle
>
>      does not hold.
>
>What he would need to find is something that is _not a car_, and yet is
>a VW beetle (or _not a Solaris app_, and yet a linux app).

I think the complete lack of applications for Linux and the repeated claim,
in this forum, that Linux could run Solaris applications, they are available
in x86 format, after all, confused me.  Thanks for clearing that up.

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.lang.java.databases
Subject: Re: What are the differences between mySQL and mSQL?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:16:22 +0100

o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Don Baccus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <ViA53.1666$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>again, like I said, with multiple writers contending for common
> >>resources, yes you're right.  for the "one writer, many readers" you
> >>do NOT need xactions.
> >
> >Not necessarily true.   If you have several related tables
> >that need to be logically updated at once, the atomicity of
> >the transactional model is, well, useful if there's a crash
> >while records are being inserted or updated.
>
>     Denormalize, denormalize, denormalize.

But that makes the transactional integrity problem worse, not better.

>     Yeah, you might bloat your rdb by a factor of 10 to do this,
>     but disk and core is getting cheap these days.
>

>                   ____
>     david parsons \bi/ ... and slow down queries by a factor of 100,
>                    \/                 but CPU is getting cheap, too.

IM(l)E query slowness is largely unrelated to CPU.  Disk locality and
drive latency is probably more relevant.

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Secure network-backup via nfs?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:37:16 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I work for a company who runs a number of publicly accessible servers.
> That's five servers running some version of RedHat ( kernel 2.2.x ) and
> various services like sendmail, apache, mysql.
> For backups we have a HP SureStore 24eU DAT tapedrive, which is
> connected to one of the servers. BRU is the preferred software.
>
> My question is: How can I backup all the servers in a secure way, by
> using the host to which the DAT is connected?

tar zcf - /filesystem-name | ssh dat-host dd bs=10240 of=/dev/st0

> Ideally I would like to nfs-mount all servers on the DAT-host, but I
> have avoided nfs for perceived lack of security and performance issues.
> How vulnerable does it make our servers if we use nfs ( assuming we
> configure it properly )?

Provided you allow only your own hosts in /etc/exports and forbid
access to everyone else, making double-sure with ipchains (NB: protect
the nfsd port as well as portmapper!), then it isn't screamingly
insecure, but SSH is still better.

> Another possibility would be using the rmt device. I would still need to
> enable rpc for that, again opening up the system.

Not is you use SSH.

> What's the best way of handling backup for a similar setup?

I'd use SSH, or the Cryptographic NFS filesystem (search the web).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (fuctifino)
Subject: Re: Linux systems- Poor security
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 02:55:49 GMT

On 17 Jun 1999 00:44:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>A while ago we had a security breach involving multiple linux boxes and
>>as a consequence, our IT staff will probably be implementing a ban of
>>the use of Linux!  I use Linux as a development workstation (although
>>I'm not a UNIX expert) ... does anyone know why the security of Linux is
>>so bad?  I assume that not all distributions are bad, but the ones with
>>poor security give Linux a very bad name ... infact they give all free
>>software a bad name .. I doubt if the IT staff will let me install
>>FreeBSD instead of Linux.
>>A very annoyed Tim (who will probably be forced to use Windows NT)
>
>Sadly, you cannot win these fights. The "IT staff" usually has a vested
>interest in whatever they are promoting - maybe they just sent some people
>to "Microsoft Certified Training" - and news of a security problem on
>Linux is enough to convince them. I know of one case where the IT staff
>was convinced that having Linux on any PC on their LAN threatened
>the security of their Novell servers.
>
>These same people are blind to repeated Word Macro viruses and the newer
>email-sending worm/virus/trojan things, which are made possible by poor
>system design by MS. These are the real security threats today, but
>don't bother trying to tell them about it...

demand fairness, demand a ban on using ms operating systems next time
there is an incident with an ms machine

------------------------------

From: David Guertin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to reset modem after system crash?
Date: 16 Jun 1999 23:38:19 -0400

Hi folks,

I've been happily using PPP over my modem for a long time on my home
Linux box.  Then yesterday, while I'm connected to the network via
PPP, Oops! the power to the computer gets interrupted and the system
goes down hard.  Ouch.

Upon restart, things come back to normal after fsck gets a workout.
Except that now the modem is no longer working.  PPP says the modem is
busy.  'setserial /dev/ttyS2' responds with "/dev/ttyS2: Device or
resource busy."

OK, it seems there's still a stray lock file somewhere that needs to
be deleted.  But where??  "find / -name '*lock*'" and "find / -name
'*LCK*'" don't turn up anything that looks promising.

Maybe I need to send a reset command (&D3 or something?) to the
modem?  How?  "echo \&D3 > /dev/ttyS2" just gives me the old "Device
or resource busy" message.

I'm stuck -- does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get my
modem functioning again?  (This is a RedHat 6.0 system with a 2.2.5
kernel.)

Dave Guertin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Subject: Xwindows question
Date: 17 Jun 1999 03:44:23 GMT

        I know that in order to switch to another terminal while already
in Xwindows is <CTRL><ALT><Fx>.  Thing is, what if you want to switch
back to that Xwindows session?  Whenever I use <CTRL><ALT><Fx> to go
back, all I get is a black screen with text.  Is there a way to go back
to the graphical Xwindows session?