From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange tar behavior
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:16:15 GMT

Tomoo Nomura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> tar -cvf  /tmp/aaa.tar  --newer 10/06/00 M*
> Is this a y2k problem ?

No, it looks like a reading problem, from here. I commend you to the
manpage:

  `--newer=DATE'
  `--after-date=DATE'
  `-N'
       When creating an archive, `tar' will only add files that have
       changed since DATE.  .

From: Tomoo Nomura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: echo a date value to a log...
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 04:13:07 +0900

> Anyway... this is what I did:
> echo date $HOSTNAME "Yi["$PPID"]: Starting Yi.org" >> /var/log/messages
>
> What I get:
> date fw-loki Yi[3345]: Starting Yi,org
>
> What I'd like:
> Dec 30 17:45:30 fw-loki Yi[3345]: Starting Yi,org

echo "`date` $HOSTNAME Yi[$PPID]: Starting Yi.org" >> /var/log/messages

Tomoo

  Nomura Technical Management Office Ltd.
                   http://www.tmo.co.jp/
  Tomoo Nomura     [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Nifty:GBH12257
                   Fax: +81-78-797-0241
  ValueFax Support in Japan
  HAFAS European Electronic Time Table in Japan
  Worldwide Airline Time Table Flight Planner in Japan

From: HellNo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:06:12 GMT

works great thanks

--
HellNo
e-mail:

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:35:14 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to get CPU usage

Hello,

Warren Bell wrote:

> I need a way other than the top program to get the percent of CPU being
> used.  I've tried procinfo but it always reports somthing like:
>
> user  :       0:15:30.25   0.1%  page in :   204585  disk 1:    88679r
> 309817w
> nice  :       0:01:01.31   0.0%  page out:   380836
> system:       0:12:46.50   0.1%  swap in :      880
> idle  :   7d 21:01:42.29  99.7%  swap out:     1099
> uptime:   7d 21:31:00.34         context :  6705462
>
> The user and system percents are always 0.1%, but in top they're always
> changing (different percentages) so procinfo must not be working right.

Of course it's changing in top all the time, cause top is running all the
time and watches
the cpu usage all the time, procinfo just looks at it one time, the moment
it runs.

Run top -q as root...:-)

> Is there another program on a linux system that will show me the current
> CPU stats?  I've also looked in the /proc directory but couldn't find
> anything with cpu info, except one file called cpuinfo but it didn't
> have anything relating to usage.

cat /proc/loadavg

For nice use in X try:

xosview +net +disk

> I'm using it for a Perl script where I need to get the current CPU usage
> percents, or find a raw number in a file somewhere and convert it to a
> percent, and save it to a variable.  Right now I'm using top but it
> takes too long to start, get the output and search through it so it's
> slowing down my script.
>
> I'm running Mandrake Linux 7.2
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

I once wrote this small script to gather more info, if the load would be
beyond a predefined value and
run it from cron every minute:

#!/bin/sh
cd /var/log
uptime >> load.average.txt
LOAD=`cat /proc/loadavg | awk  '{ print int($1)}'`
LWATCH=5
if [ $LOAD -ge $LWATCH ]
then
        ps aux >> load.average.txt && dmesg >> load.average.txt
fi

Good luck

Michael

------------------------------

From: "Mark Gillespie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Suse 7.0 Live Filesystem CD
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:07:31 -0000

I have this CD, and it appears that all I can do is run it from CD each
time, not install to a harddisk.  is this the case?  Is there a way to
install to harddisk with the version of Suse 7.0?

------------------------------

From: Ram Bhamidipaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp trouble when not using minicom !
Date: 30 Dec 2000 12:34:23 -0800

The problem I am experiencing is not really a PPP problem. What I see
is this: When I manually dial and start ppp on the remote end using
minicom as my terminal software everything works. When I use Kermit
or my own home brew program do dial and start ppp on the remote
end things don't work.

My current conclusion is that minicom is doing something that I need
to do and I'm having trouble figuring out what that special something
is...

-Ram

------------------------------

From: Paul Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundblaster awe64 value
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:57:18 -0500

I'm running Red Hat 6.1 on a Pentium II 450 system with a windows
partition. I'm having difficulty enabling the system sounds with my
Soundblaster AWE64 Value card. I can play CDs with no problem. As far as
I can tell, the appropriate modules are loaded, except for the op13
module. It's in my conf.modules file, but when I cat it under
/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc, I get a "no such file or directory" error.
Here's an lsmod of the installed modules:

Module  Size  Used by
awe_wave 157804    1
sb  33620    1
uart401   5968    1  [sb]
sound  57240    0  [awe_wave sb uart401]
soundlow   300         0  [sound]
soundcore  2372    7  [sb sound]

My conf.modules is:
options op13 io=0x388
alias sound sb
pre-install sound /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1
options op13 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb io=0x240 irq=7 dma=0 dma16=6 mpu_io=0x300

When I go to the control center in either KDE or GNOME, the test of the
.wav files produces nothing. When I initially ran sndconfig, both tests
worked with no problem. I did a "chmod ugo+x" on all the .wav files in
the /usr/share/sounds directory. Still nothing.

I have 2 questions:
1) With this information, can anyone tell why the system sounds are not
working?

2) What is the function of the op13 module, and why is it not listed
with the other modules, even though it's configured in conf.modules? I
think that this module may have to do with why my sounds aren't working.

Thanks,
Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: question_on_Linux_and_Windows98
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:29:09 GMT

Most Linuxes. such as RedHat (www.readhat.com) or Caldera
(www.caldera.com), will repartion your hard drive automaticly so your
Win98 filesystem is untouched. As an alternitive, you can get a
UMSDOS-based linux, such as Mulinux (http://sunsite.dk/mulinux/) or
DrangonLinux (www.dragonfish.org/dragon/filesv08.html), which don't need
any repartioning, since they install on your Win98 filesystem. To switch
between Win98 & Linux, you can set up a dual-boot system (usally done
automaticly) with LILO. UMSDOS linuxes (like DragonLinux or MuLinux)
use a msdos program called loadlin.exe, which is run from DOS Mode ONLY!
to enter Linux. P. S. If you want to use Linux & Windows at the same
time, you need VMware (www.vmware.com).

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Peteris Daugulis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone help me with providing links to detailed manuals about
> installing Linux on an Intel Celeron while preserving a Windows 98
file
> system on a part of the hard drive and being able to switch between
> Windows 98 and Linux?
>
> My problem is that I want to install Linux on my Intel Celeron which
> currently runs under Windows 98 and interchangingly use Linux and
> Windows (and do not have too much time to learn how to do it myself ).
>
> Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to anyone who reads this!
>
> Peter

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:38:18 -0800

Michael Heiming wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Warren Bell wrote:
>
> > I need a way other than the top program to get the percent of CPU being
> > used.  I've tried procinfo but it always reports somthing like:
> >
> > user  :       0:15:30.25   0.1%  page in :   204585  disk 1:    88679r
> > 309817w
> > nice  :       0:01:01.31   0.0%  page out:   380836
> > system:       0:12:46.50   0.1%  swap in :      880
> > idle  :   7d 21:01:42.29  99.7%  swap out:     1099
> > uptime:   7d 21:31:00.34         context :  6705462
> >
> > The user and system percents are always 0.1%, but in top they're always
> > changing (different percentages) so procinfo must not be working right.
> >

> Of course it's changing in top all the time, cause top is running all the
> time and watches
> the cpu usage all the time, procinfo just looks at it one time, the moment
> it runs.
>
> Run top -q as root...:-)

When I run the -q switch the CPU percents are way off or maxed out at
100%, which has to be wrong.

I have it running in batch mode so it prints the output and exits.  When
it prints the output it _always_ shows 0.1% for the CPU usage:

[wjbell@linux wjbell]$ top -n 1 -b -i -d 1

 12:13pm  up 7 days, 22:59,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
CPU states:  0.1% user,  0.1% system,  0.0% nice,  6.0% idle
Mem:    65124K av,   50828K used,   14296K free,       0K shrd,    2912K
buff
Swap:  409208K av,     636K used,  408572K free                   25684K
cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
15657 wjbell    17   0   896  896   688 R     3.8  1.3   0:00 top
[wjbell@linux wjbell]$

I have to print it out twice for it to get a real reading, which takes
at least 2 seconds:

[wjbell@linux wjbell]$ top -n 2 -b -i -d 1

 12:24pm  up 7 days, 23:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
CPU states:  0.1% user,  0.1% system,  0.0% nice,  6.1% idle
Mem:    65124K av,   51672K used,   13452K free,       0K shrd,    3028K
buff
Swap:  409208K av,     636K used,  408572K free                   26352K
cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
15799 wjbell    15   0   896  896   688 R     2.8  1.3   0:00 top

 12:24pm  up 7 days, 23:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
CPU states:  0.9% user,  2.8% system,  0.0% nice, 96.1% idle
Mem:    65124K av,   51680K used,   13444K free,       0K shrd,    3028K
buff
Swap:  409208K av,     636K used,  408572K free                   26352K
cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
15799 wjbell    17   0   900  900   692 R     3.8  1.3   0:00 top
[wjbell@linux wjbell]$

> > Is there another program on a linux system that will show me the current
> > CPU stats?  I've also looked in the /proc directory but couldn't find
> > anything with cpu info, except one file called cpuinfo but it didn't
> > have anything relating to usage.
>
> cat /proc/loadavg

That just shows the load average doesn't it, I'm looking for CPU
percentages.  If you can think of anything else that will show CPU usage
pecents, or if I'm doing anything wrong with top, I'd appreciate it.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:32:26 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: What is Python and Kt (RH6.2)????

if u don't know what it is leave it checked so it can be installed b/c
ther is always a chance you need it and don't know it. As u get more
accustomed to what is needed and what isnt you can refine subsequent
installs to only install what you know u need.

its a matter of time and experience

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: init_module: Device busy?
Date: 30 Dec 2000 20:03:56 GMT

i'm attempting a

modprobe n2.o

on an ISA ethernet card that is detected as NE2000 compatible (IRQ=5,
0300-031F) in WIndows 98 SE. WHen I switch to COREL Linux on this
dual-boot machine and try out the differnt ne2000-type modules, when I
don't get these

no card initialized --OR -- no NE/2 card found

I also get

init_module: Device or resource busy

WHat is init_module busy doing? Is it the automounter or something?

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't get X or Gnome to Work- Help!!!
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 21:31:31 GMT

> Your XF86Config file does not contain one critical crumb of info: To
what
> file does the link /etc/x11/X point to?
>
> And how many pixels across and up is your screen? If you bang
> <Ctrl+Alt+Keypad Plus> or <Ctrl+Alt+Keypad Minus> does it get bigger
or
> smaller? (These are signs of XF86Config health...)
>
> --
>  Phlip
> ======= http://users.deltanet.com/~tegan/home.html =======

Thanks for responding. Since I am new to linux I don't know how to
correct the problem that you indicated above. Where should the
link /etc/x11/X point to and how do I do it?
Thanks again.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 22:40:49 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello,

Warren Bell wrote:

> Michael Heiming wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Warren Bell wrote:
> >
> > > I need a way other than the top program to get the percent of CPU being
> > > used.  I've tried procinfo but it always reports somthing like:
> > >
> > > user  :       0:15:30.25   0.1%  page in :   204585  disk 1:    88679r
> > > 309817w
> > > nice  :       0:01:01.31   0.0%  page out:   380836
> > > system:       0:12:46.50   0.1%  swap in :      880
> > > idle  :   7d 21:01:42.29  99.7%  swap out:     1099
> > > uptime:   7d 21:31:00.34         context :  6705462
> > >
> > > The user and system percents are always 0.1%, but in top they're always
> > > changing (different percentages) so procinfo must not be working right.
> > >

> > Of course it's changing in top all the time, cause top is running all the
> > time and watches
> > the cpu usage all the time, procinfo just looks at it one time, the moment
> > it runs.
> >
> > Run top -q as root...:-)
> >

> When I run the -q switch the CPU percents are way off or maxed out at
> 100%, which has to be wrong.
>

>From man top:

   q    This causes top to refresh without any delay. If  the
            caller  has  superuser priviledges, top runs with the
            highest possible priority.

Logical that the CPU are quite high than....nothing wrong...:-)

<SNIP>

> That just shows the load average doesn't it, I'm looking for CPU
> percentages.  If you can think of anything else that will show CPU usage
> pecents, or if I'm doing anything wrong with top, I'd appreciate it.

I didn't understood that yet right, my mistake.....:-(

Do a ps aux and add $3 in your scripting language....:-)

<SNIP>

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux search engine?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 22:12:33 GMT

Jerry Kreps wrote:

> The best search engine on the Internet, which is also powered by Linux, is
> http://www.google.com

Isn't that?:  http://www.google.com/linux/

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 98.967% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Joop Muis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to stop X?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:18:06 +0100

Try ALT+CRTL+BackSpace

Joop Muis

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:30:05 -0600

Warren Bell wrote:

> I need a way other than the top program to get the percent of CPU being
> used.  I've tried procinfo but it always reports somthing like:
>
> user  :       0:15:30.25   0.1%  page in :   204585  disk 1:    88679r
> 309817w
> nice  :       0:01:01.31   0.0%  page out:   380836
> system:       0:12:46.50   0.1%  swap in :      880
> idle  :   7d 21:01:42.29  99.7%  swap out:     1099
> uptime:   7d 21:31:00.34         context :  6705462
>
> The user and system percents are always 0.1%, but in top they're always
> changing (different percentages) so procinfo must not be working right.

The way I interpret this is that 15 minutes, 30.25 seconds is 0.1% of 7
days, 21 hours, 31 minutes, 0.34 seconds. Lessee... The user elapsed time
expands to 930.25 seconds. The total (uptime) elapsed time expands to
86400+75600+1860+0.34 = 163860.34 seconds. 930.25/163860.34 comes out to
0.005677090624858 on my calculator, which rounds to 0.1%.
As a further test of this, you could reboot, immediately start a long
processor-intensive job and watch the user cpu usage build and (when the
job completed) decay by watching

$ watch -n 1 procinfo

Of course, this does nothing to answer your original question but it
hopefully will help disentangle your mind from the perceived contradiction.

> Is there another program on a linux system that will show me the current
> CPU stats?  I've also looked in the /proc directory but couldn't find
> anything with cpu info, except one file called cpuinfo but it didn't
> have anything relating to usage.
>
> I'm using it for a Perl script where I need to get the current CPU usage
> percents, or find a raw number in a file somewhere and convert it to a
> percent, and save it to a variable.  Right now I'm using top but it
> takes too long to start, get the output and search through it so it's
> slowing down my script.
>
> I'm running Mandrake Linux 7.2
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

Happy New Year

--
What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.

  4:00pm  up 6 days, 20:18,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.03

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:39:05 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: init_module: Device busy?

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> i'm attempting a
>
> modprobe n2.o
>
> on an ISA ethernet card that is detected as NE2000 compatible (IRQ=5,
> 0300-031F) in WIndows 98 SE. WHen I switch to COREL Linux on this
> dual-boot machine and try out the differnt ne2000-type modules, when I
> don't get these
>
> no card initialized --OR -- no NE/2 card found
>
> I also get
>
> init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> WHat is init_module busy doing? Is it the automounter or something?
>
> --
> jazz
> Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386
> Doesn't it bother you, that we have to search for intelligent life
> --- OUT THERE??

The hardware wasn't initialized. If it is ISA-plug-n-play, you need to
set it up with isapnptools. In either case, you'll probably need to set
an irq or some other setting as an argument to the module insmod (which
corresponds to either jumper settings on the card, or /etc/isapnp.conf
settings). Don't ask me what those settings are, I don't have an ISA
ne2k. But I can tell you they are one of the most common/popular cards
out there, and should all work. There is no "automounter" for network
cards, at least not with that terminology. The two basic steps that
occur during a bootup are to create a route, then attach it to an
interface (network device). The interface for this card would by default
be eth0, and the two related commands are "route" and "ifconfig", being
run by the rc scripts (not sure where they are for Corel, but likely
somewhere in a subdirectory of /etc/).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Date: 30 Dec 2000 20:23:49 GMT

Peteris Daugulis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ Can anyone help me with providing links to detailed manuals about
[ installing Linux on an Intel Celeron while preserving a Windows 98 file
[ system on a part of the hard drive and being able to switch between
[ Windows 98 and Linux?

most of the distros will recognize the Win98 during installation. COrel
Linux, for example. When you go through partitioning the drive, it will
be left as a vfat partition. Corel Linux even shows its contents in the
KDE file manager

From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 14:39:39 -0800

Michael Heiming wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Warren Bell wrote:
>
> > Michael Heiming wrote:

> > > Of course it's changing in top all the time, cause top is running all the
> > > time and watches
> > > the cpu usage all the time, procinfo just looks at it one time, the moment
> > > it runs.
> > >
> > > Run top -q as root...:-)
> > >

> > When I run the -q switch the CPU percents are way off or maxed out at
> > 100%, which has to be wrong.
> >

> From man top:
>
>    q    This causes top to refresh without any delay. If  the
>             caller  has  superuser priviledges, top runs with the
>             highest possible priority.
>
> Logical that the CPU are quite high than....nothing wrong...:-)

I wasn't running it at superuser level.  I'm pretty sure it's giving a
false reading because for one, if it takes 100% CPU to run top then
someone needs to take that program back to the drawing board.  And Two,
if you run top to output twice then exit, one's completely different
than the other.

> <SNIP>
>

> > That just shows the load average doesn't it, I'm looking for CPU
> > percentages.  If you can think of anything else that will show CPU usage
> > pecents, or if I'm doing anything wrong with top, I'd appreciate it.
>
> I didn't understood that yet right, my mistake.....:-(
>
> Do a ps aux and add $3 in your scripting language....:-)

I'm not sure what you mean.  What would the $3 variable be in Perl?
What would I do with it?