From: Raymonds Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oracle, PHP3, Apache 1.3.6 problems
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 09:59:42 +0200

I do not have an answer for you. Though I have a question.

I  installed Oracle on RH 6.0 the other day (painstaking work patching
binaries failing install with JDBC drivers etc etc).
But any way now it's running but it seems that the install proc. did'nt
save the dba password which I gave it in the Custom Install. Do you know
what the default Oracle password is?

Raymond

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: sendmail timedelay
Date: 19 Jun 1999 04:14:57 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ken Farmer wrote:
>  When I install a stand alone system (although
> it has networking installed which I plan to learn later), the boot process
> stops at
> Starting sendmail: sendmail
> for about 3 minutes.

It is looking for your Fully Qualified Domain Name, which you
should put in /etc/hosts.

Cf. http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Tips-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.19 .

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Help with GLIBC fails test make check
Date: 19 Jun 1999 04:17:20 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Barry Phease wrote:
> --------------D5463CC54A979A5E71D04300

Please do not post MIME to Usenet.

> I have compiled Glibc2.0.112 under kernel 2.2.1 but get a problem when I
> run make check.
>
> the failure is in the function fdim.

The glibc-2.0.[large numbers] are not "recent versions of glibc-2.0",
but rather "test versions of glibc-2.1".  Please use glibc-2.1.1,
which has this problem fixed.

From: nlucent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I get screen capture images of installation?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:58:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Linuxers.
>
> I have installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on my sistem.  I need snapshot
images

> of install screens.
> During installation, no capture utilities can be loaded.
> How can I get screen capture images of installation?
>
> Please help me.
> Thank you for answer in advance.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You could try installing it in vmware, then take screen shots of that.
www.vmware.com

Nick
--
The opinions expressed are my own, and are not
necessarily endorsed or shared by my employer.

From: Orange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Samba with Shadow Password and Encryption
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 17:12:55 +0800

Hello,

How should I use shadow password config. for Samba 2.x ? I found my
shadow password file in /etc/shadow.

When I use mksmbpasswd.sh script to make a smbpasswd file, should I
point to /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow?

After the conversion, I ran smbpasswd to change password for a user.
However, it reports 'cannot find entry for user xxx'.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Orange

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:17:49 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Victory, victory!

Hi out there!

German c't magazine has published the results of it's NT vs. Linux web
server test. They confirm the Mindcraft study in that NT works far
better over multiple NIC's.
BUT: When it comes to *real* tests (Perl CGI scripts), Linux/Apache burn
down NT/IIS, though c't admits being a litte unfair to NT in that they
used perl, not the M$-based asp, etc. as scripting language.

Unfortunately, this article is not yet available on the Web - maybe in
two weeks time, when the next issue of c't is out (this test is one of
the reasons to buy this issue, so they won't put it in the web... :-(

The web address, however, is http:/www.heise.de/ct/ (in German, don't
know if Babelfish likes it...)

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: News reader in Redhat 5.4
Date: 19 Jun 1999 12:27:10 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Youjip Won  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Dear Linux gurus,
>   I have a problem in using news reader in my linux box.
>   Recently, I have installed redhat 5.2.
>   When I type "trn", it says server unknown.
>   I would like to know which file I need to update to get it work.
>Also, you can send me some doc. source.
>   I am not frequent reader to this news group. So, it would be further
>greatly appreciated if you can reply me via email.
>   Thanks.
>
>Youjip

Add this to your .profile, .hash_profile or .bashrc

export NNTPSERVER=your.news.server

Villy

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Unresolved symbols error with ipv4 modules???
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:27:27 +0200

Hi Ken,

you wrote:
> I've just installed SuSE 6.1 which I'm trying to configure as a firewall
> box. I did a minimal installation from CD. After I've compiled the
> kernel including all the firewall and masquerading stuff, and made and
> installed the modules I get the following errors when I run depmod -a...

For first it shouldn't be of need to recompile the kernel since next to
everything is allready in there. Additionally it's a good idea to delete
or rename the current module directory since old modules which are not
compiled with new kernel config won't be deleted by "make
modules_install". Additionally you have to ensure you do really boot
into your newly compiled kernel (see "uname -a" for date of
compilation). If you still expirience problems of this kind use "depmod
-a -e" to see which symbols are unresolved.

> What's up? Does this mean I've not installed some libraries required by
> these modules?

No. Symbols for kernel modules are only searched in kernel and other
modules.

Malware

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:40:41 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome vs. XWin

Brad McBride wrote:

> I'm getting ready to install Linux on my computer and am trying to plan
> out what packages I will install (I am a little limited on space). I was
> wondering what oppinions existed regarding Gnome and XWindows. Which is
> better or in what situations would I want to use one over the other.
> This system will only act as a dialup workstation. Thanks for any
> information that anyone has.
It's not a question of Gnome or XWindows.
X is the basic graphics device abstraction layer, so to speak.
Gnome is build on top of X. It provides desktop functionality (like drag
& drop, consistent look & feel).
So if you want to use any graphical app, you have to install X.

Marc

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:43:51 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't paste in FVWM2:

Pat Masterson wrote:

> I'm running fvwm2 with a 2 button microsoft mouse. I can drag
> it across text, and that text becomes highlighted. But clicking
> the right button doesn't do  a paste. How can I fix this? -pat
> --
Normally, pasting is done with the middle mouse button. Buy a
three-button mouse (Logi Pilot: 15$ or so...) or try pressing both
buttons simultanously.

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lawrence DčOliveiro)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: open systems?!? Re: Why does Apple not cooperate with Be?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 22:43:16 +1200

In article <5bva3.440$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "William
Edward Woody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Actually, four purposes spring to mind:
>> * To abstract away from hardware specifics, allowing the same upper-layer
>> code to run on a wide variety of hardware configurations.
>
>Not really. This is a recent innovation, but not necessary for
>an operating system.

The idea goes back at least 30 years, to when different models in the same
computer family started shipping with different configurations of disk and
tape drives and the like.

>> * To define common communication mechanisms (data interchange formats for
>> text, graphics and the like).
>
>No cigar. This is more of a high level thing, and not an OS thing.
>Microsoft would have you believe that this is part of the operating
>system...

What has Microsoft got to do with this?

>But really: is a GIF file definition part of an OS? JPEG definition?
>RIFF? TIFF? HTML?
>
>No.

Yes! For example, JPEG is one of the standard image-compression formats
supported by the QuickTime Image Compression Manager (QuickTime comes as a
standard part of MacOS, and is available as an add-on for Windows).
QuickTime can also import and export WAV audio files (a subclass of RIFF).
As for HTML--full-featured Web browsers come as a standard part of all
current mainstream operating systems.

The integration of QuickTime is particularly important under MacOS, where
the import/export components tie into the Translation Manager and the
standard file open/save dialogs that all applications use. For example,
any application that wants to open a QuickDraw picture file automatically
gains the ability to open JPEG files, with QuickTime-provided translation.

>> * To minimize reinvention of code for common application tasks.
>
>No; this is what a library (shared library, static library) is
>for.

And what is an operating system, if not built out of a bunch of libraries?

Consider something you probably think is really high-level, like a
graphics library. And consider something you probably think is really
low-level, like an OS kernel. Would the latter have a need for the former?
Yes it would. On my Mac, there is no such thing as a "text mode" for the
display: everything that appears on the screen has to be drawn there by
the OS graphics library. That includes all the messages during system
startup, plus the icons that indicate various device drivers loading, and
so on.

>As someone who has been around this business for a while, it
>worries me that simple computer science concepts (such as
>"what is an operating system") is being made fuzzy, more often
>than not to satisfy the corporate needs of a company like
>Microsoft.

Strange--there's that Microsoft fixation again.

What it's true to say is that the concept of what an operating system is
supposed to do has broadened somewhat from its narrow meaning in the 60s
and 70s. In those days, the user (and the application) had to bow to the
needs of the computer; the coming of the personal computer has turned that
completely upside down. Now the computer (and the operating system) has to
submit to the needs of the user and the application. That means that, as
users' needs change, and applications change, the definition of a computer
system has to change to keep up.

>While all of these things may
>come out of a box labeled "Macintosh System 8.5" or "Redhat
>Linux 5.0" or "Microsoft Windows 98", these boxes are more
>than just operating systems. They also contain applications
>and utilities and shared libraries which create a constant
><<platform>> for developers to use.

A "platform" is hardware (the computer) together with software (the OS).
It probably also includes what development tools might be available
separately (including well-established third-party ones), and could
conceivably stretch to the inclusion of other common productivity
applications as well.

>An operating system, by the way, is a piece of low level code
>which arbitrates the allocation of hardware resources across
>multiple processes.

That's the "kernel". Though as I pointed out above, the distinction
between the kernel and the rest of the OS is not as clear as it might once
have been.

>And if that OS conforms to standards (such
>as posix) or defines interchange standards (such as GIF89a)
>or if the platform contains certain standard libraries (such
>as the standard C library) to simplify a programmer's work,
>it's a bonus, not a requirement.

Once upon a time, you could have lived without such things. These days,
nobody would consider an OS that lacked most of those features as a
serious contender--it would be looked on as more of a "toy" OS.

------------------------------

From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:18:15 -0600

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> An interesting point: Netware's scalability is abysmal ( see the PC Week
> article , which says that it's SMP is *worse* than linux's ) , but that hasn't
> held it back. This has a lot to do with the fact that for file and webserving,
> low end hardware provides a greater performance/cost ratio ( as any NT advocate
> will tell you the moment you say "Solaris" )

As the apparently token NetWare person in the group, I must point out
that the PC Week 'testing' was horrible and the article was written by a
known Microsoft Advocate(tm) who also wrote a grossly misrepresentative
article about the differences between Novell Directory Services and
Microsoft Active Directory Services - the latter article took
Microsoft's marketing information from their website and pronounced it
"fact".

In the performance comparison, it's interesting to note that NT was
rated *better* for scalability because it achieved a measurable
performance increase when going from one to four processors - but the
network throughput achieved with 4 processors was slightly better than
NetWare with one processor.

I guess whether NetWare scales or not depends on how you define
scalability.  If you define it in terms of using a single processor as a
reference point for each OS within its own little world, yes, NT scales
better when you add processors.  I'd rather have a single processor
machine do the work of a quad processor machine, though, whenever
possible.  :-)

All that said, I do agree with the assessment that Novell needs to do a
lot of work on their SMP stuff.  I've got 4 SMP dual-processor servers,
and it's little more than a novelty to have the second processor in
there.  We got a good price on the systems (Proliant 6500s) with the
second processor included. :-)

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.

------------------------------

From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:23:17 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>         Sure it is. You entrust your data to those apps.
>         Just because it's a 'feature not a bug' doesn't
>         make it excusable.

Oh, come on....If MS advertises that they don't support Windows on
DR-DOS, they can't be held responsible.  The AARD code appears to me to
be a deliberate attempt to illegally push Digital Research out of the
DOS market and nothing more.

Brad Silverman's response to Wendy Rohm's question as to why the code
was disabled was simply "to keep people like you from asking people like
me questions like that."  Nothing to do with supportability or
anything....

Jim

From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:18:20 -0600

Actually, the AARD code (as it is known) isn't designed to break Windows
3.x running on DR-DOS 3.1.

>From _Undocumented DOS_, 2e, page 10 (figures 1-2 & 1-3), the code is
ultimately designed to succeed running on OS/2 by bypassing some of the
checks in the AARD code itself; the code relies on undocumented DOS
functions/structures to determine if it's running on DR-DOS.  The
ultimate test simply verifies that the system file control block is
located on a memory paragraph boundary (if no redirector is installed)
or to see if the default upper case-map is located in the DOS data
segment.

The code is designed *specifically* to fail on DR-DOS during the startup
of Windows.  The code, however, does not break Windows running in this
environment; instead, it displays a cryptic error message and presents
the option to press enter to continue running Windows.

The cryptic error message, when reported to Microsoft, resulted in being
told to "try" running on MS-DOS and see if the "problem" is fixed.  No
doubt there was a document in their knowledgebase that simply described
this as a DR-DOS related "problem" and that the problem had not yet been
seen on MS-DOS and that that is the next step for the customer to 'try'
in order to determine if the problem is related to some other factor
(such as hardware).  Since the code would *never* fail on MS-DOS,
however, the problem would never be encountered on MS-DOS and the
assumption most people would have was that DR-DOS was at fault, they
tell their friends that DR-DOS is garbage and to stick with MS-DOS.
Result:  Microsoft sells more DOS because they used technology to change
the perception of where the problem was, and DR-DOS ultimately gets
bought by Novell and then sold to Caldera, destined to most likely be
lost to obscurity.

Jim