Linux-Misc Digest #695, Volume #26                Wed, 3 Jan 01 04:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Need to Reinstall Windows 98
  Re: slackware.com down for a week? (Mark Post)
  Re: "no space left on disk" .. but there is ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  exporting xwindows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: samba password issue. (Angel Alexander Magana)
  Re: telnet screen color ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: mpg123 skips when samba working (Brad Bailey)
  Re: Just testing the Staroffice Newsreader, so ignore this... (Eric Heglin)
  Re: XFree desktop size (Robert Kiesling)
  Mount FAT32 vol in read/write for non-root users? ("Lloyd Llewellyn")
  Re: Mount FAT32 vol in read/write for non-root users? ("NiColAs Karageuzian")
  Re: Mount FAT32 vol in read/write for non-root users? (moonie;))
  Re: exporting xwindows (E J)
  Re: exporting xwindows ("Dan White")
  Re: Need to Reinstall Windows 98 ("Dan White")
  Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI (Bob Holtzman)
  trouble installing macromedia shockwave player (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: PANIC! Cannot see anything after install! (RH6.2) (Bo Berglund)
  How to change screen size in RH6.2 (KDE)?? (Bo Berglund)
  Re: lilo with new kernel don't work ("Tauno Voipio")
  Multiple e-mail "identities" under a single Linux user account? ("No")

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need to Reinstall Windows 98
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 04:30:06 -0000

I installed Red Hat Linux 7 & accidently deleted the Windows 98 partition
when I really wanted to have both operating systems on my Dell Dimension
4100.  Now, I cannot reinstall Windows 98 at all.  Does anyone know if
there is any way that I can reinstall Windows 98 on my system?  Thanks very
much for any help.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: slackware.com down for a week?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 04:31:27 GMT

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:47:04 -0500, "Nick Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does anyone know what happened to slackware.com? It has been down for over a
>week! This really worries me, as a very appreciative slackware user.

The site was defaced by some bozo, while the project team was off for the
holidays.  Now that they're back, they want to perform a good analysis of
the intrusion so that they can hopefully avoid having it repeated.  Once
that is done, they're going to bring the web site back up.  In the meantime,
the ftp server, ftp://ftp.slackware.com, and the various mirrors are all
available, and other work on the project is continuing.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "no space left on disk" .. but there is
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 04:38:54 +0000

Carl Fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> On Mon, 01 Jan 2001 20:20:23 GMT Daniel Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Now when I try to do "rm * -f" it tells me "rm: Argument list too long".
>>What should I do??

> There are several possible answers, but the one that springs to my
> mind is

>       find . -name "*" -exec rm {} \;

> DO NOT USE THIS without care, because it's just as dangerous as "rm
> *".

find . -empty -exec rm {} \;

might be more appropriate in this situation....
That way, it won'd delete files with valuable info, such as logs, but will
delete all the empty files.
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: exporting xwindows
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 04:35:12 GMT

i use nat in my home office to connect multiple
pcs. is there anyway i can export my remote
xwindow display to one of my computers not
directly connected to the internet?

in other words, i would like to view remote
xwindow events on local area pcs (ip address
192.168.0.x).

please kindly provide the command/nat config.

thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: redhat.general
From: Angel Alexander Magana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba password issue.
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 04:51:13 GMT

>>I have just setup samba on my Linux box (RedHat 6.2) on the lan. My Windows
>>ME can detect it, but when I try to access it, it keep reporting the password
>>is incorrect? And from the samba log, it seems trying to login using my
>>Window's Logon username, which I have already defined in /etc/smbusers
>>(unix_username = win_username). The one problem is that I am using 2 words in
>>windows seperated by space (bosco tsang), and in /etc/smbusers, I am using
>>'bosco tsang' ...is this ok? Anything else I am missing?

It sounds as though you do not have encrypted password support enabled on
the Samba side.  Check out the section on encryption/encrypted passwords
in the SMB How To at www.linux.org and you should be Ok.

--
Angel Alexander Magana
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: telnet screen color
Date: 02 Jan 2001 21:04:24 -0800

Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am using VT100 emulation to connect ...anywhere I can set it to disable
> coloring ...or is it in termcap (How?)?
>
> --
> In article <92soq2$tis$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am using telnet to access my linux box (RedHat 6.2) but found that it had
> > different color for different directory type, which make me very hard to
> > read.  Wonder if there is anyway to turn off these colors, or set it to use
> > just green color for all text?

   .... <snip> ...

I don't know about Redhat, but on my Slackware dist the colors for different
file suffixes are set in the file /etc/DIR_COLORS.  You can read about it
with the 'man dircolors' command.

    --- email me at rahul.net, not ragwind.localdomain ---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Bailey)
Subject: Re: mpg123 skips when samba working
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:06:51 GMT

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:22:34 GMT, Mat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
->My problem is whenever I access large files from machine B (win2k) via
->samba the mp3's annoyingly slow down and skip on directory access &
->file retrieval.

I'd look at the network before replacing a sound card. Running mp3's
over a LAN can be a bit much for low-end 10-Base-T hubs, especially
if there are other data transfers taking place at the same time.

At least, it was for mine. Playing them over the network wasn't bad, but
if I copied an mp3 across to another box while one was playing,
everything started hiccupping. Upgrading to a 10/100 switch made things
a LOT better.

Just a thought.

Regards
--
Brad Bailey                  __/)                  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"You know, it's easy to be happy if your one concern in life is figuring

------------------------------

From: Eric Heglin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just testing the Staroffice Newsreader, so ignore this...
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:08:42 GMT

Sorry.... at least it's working...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: XFree desktop size
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:11:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows) writes:

> On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 01:35:04 GMT, Jim Harkins staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
> >System is Redhat 7.0, XFree 4.01, kernel 2.4-test something, hardware
> >an ATI Rage 128.  The system is at work and I can only access the net
> >from home, so I'll be a bit vague here.
> >
> >How do I make the desktop size match my screen size?  The desktop is
> >something like 1800x1200, but I've got my screen resolution set to
> >about 1200 x 768 (that is, something legible by 42 y/o eyeballs).  One
> >thing I hate is a desktop larger than my screen, especially one about
> >4x larger.  I'm not sure if this is related to X, XFree, Gnome, or
> >Redhat, but how exactly do I make the desktop resolution match the
> >screen resolution?
> >
> >Actually, where in the @#*(^^!#$ docs does it *tell* me how to make
> >the desktop resolution match the screen resolution?  Trust me, I've
> >looked.

"man ... " Hmmm.  "man ... " Hmmm again.  I would say the man page of
your X server, like XF86_SVGA or XF86_S3, or "man XF86Config," would
be a good place to begin, but they don't seem to be present on either
Linux box I have front of me.  There's an in-depth walkthrough of an
XF86Config file in "Installation and Getting Started," although it's a
little out of date now, for example, The file now resides in /etc/X11
instead of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 as on older systems.  IGS is downloadable
at the URL in the .sig.

The short answer is of course, as Dances states, to comment out the
"virtual" statements in the XF86Config file.

--
Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Web Page :  http://www.mainmatter.com/kiesling

------------------------------

From: "Lloyd Llewellyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mount FAT32 vol in read/write for non-root users?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:22:59 GMT

How can I mount a FAT32 volume so that non-root accounts can read and
write to it?

root can read/write, but non-root can only read.  I'm using this in fstab:

        /dev/sdb1       /mnt/remv       vfat    user,rw

Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

From: "NiColAs Karageuzian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mount FAT32 vol in read/write for non-root users?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:42:16 GMT

try the
chmod g+w /dev/sdb1 and make sure your users are in /dev/sdb1's ouwner group

message news: TGy46.11089$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 01:00:38 -0500

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001, Lloyd Llewellyn wrote:
>How can I mount a FAT32 volume so that non-root accounts can read and
>write to it?
>
>root can read/write, but non-root can only read.  I'm using this in fstab:
>
>       /dev/sdb1       /mnt/remv       vfat    user,rw
>

>Thanks for your help.

Just figured this out last night, here is mine:

/dev/hda1 /windows vfat user,exec,conv=binary,rw,umask=000 0 0

The part that is relevent is the umask=000, that does the magic.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)
ICQ #83003404
AIM mooniesdl3
MSN [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: exporting xwindows
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 06:18:57 GMT

You should use ssh, it has automatic xwindow forwarding plus security.

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 07:36:08 GMT

In article <92ua60$8oj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i use nat in my home office to connect multiple pcs. is there anyway i
> can export my remote xwindow display to one of my computers not directly
> connected to the internet?
>
> in other words, i would like to view remote xwindow events on local area
> pcs (ip address
> 192.168.0.x).
>
> please kindly provide the command/nat config.

What are you using for nat? ipchains? iptables?

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need to Reinstall Windows 98
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 07:37:39 GMT

> I installed Red Hat Linux 7 & accidently deleted the Windows 98
> partition  when I really wanted to have both operating systems on my
> Dell Dimension
> 4100.  Now, I cannot reinstall Windows 98 at all.  Does anyone know if
> there is any way that I can reinstall Windows 98 on my system?  Thanks
> very  much for any help.

That depends on if Redhat is taking up the whole drive, which is tends to
do if you select anything but the custome install. If that's the case,
you'll need to reinstall Redhat too (with the custom option, and custom
partitioning).

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Holtzman)
Subject: Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI
Date: 3 Jan 2001 07:57:09 GMT

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 21:49:48 GMT, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ralph Sokel wrote:
>>
>> I have unfortunately arrived at the same place as you, although via a different
>> route. After applying a number of Redhat package updates I cannot reboot into
>> runlevel 5. In my case I checked the log file in /var/gdm and it appears that
>> gdm is unable to connect to the X server, an authorization problem. My next step
>> is to see if there may be an Xauthority file associated with gdm that needs to
>> be recreated.
>>

>Check the permissions on /tmp/.font-unix  is set to 1777 then restart
>the font server:
>
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
>
>Then try "startx"

Since the poster who you answered had the same problem as I did, I decided to
try your fix. _That'll teach me!_ Now startx won't work when I'm logged in as
user but continues to work for root. A giant step back.

Permissions on /tmp/.font-unix are 1777. Anything else I can try (I don't mean
that facetiously)?

--
Bob Holtzman
"If you think you're getting free lunch

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: trouble installing macromedia shockwave player
Date: 3 Jan 2001 08:09:36 GMT

It keeps saying that it does not detect it, but it lists it when I
type about:plugins in the location bar.  I followed a test link that
said "if you see the animation below, your installation was successful".
I see the animation, but nonetheless when I load it I get the error
message that I do not have the plugin.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

PS I'm using Redhat7.0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PANIC! Cannot see anything after install! (RH6.2)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:30:43 GMT

The reason for my problem regarding the blank screen seems to be that
the wrong video mode was selected during RH6.2 setup. There are two
screens for this if you run a complete setup, the second one is for
resolution setup. But the second screen does not show up if you do an
upgrade and the monitor select erroneously says that my monitor can
handle vertical rates of 110 Hz....

I had to reinstall RH from scratch instead of upgrading to see both
screens. Then I manually edited the vertical sync radte for my monitor
to max out at 75Hz and selected 800x600 resolution on the following
screen. This also had a test button that actually displayed something
that I could click.

After this I no longer had these problems (but others popped up
instead....).

BTW: I now want to reset resolution to 1024x768 but there seems not to
be any function to do that. I have looked 'everywhere' in right click
menus and regular list of functions on all buttons I have seen but the
resolution thing is not shown. One would think that this could be
displayed in a properties or settings dialogue somewhere, but I have
yet to find it. It is not in the same place as in W95 at least.
Display properties on the right-click menu is very much like the W95
properties dialogue but lacks the resolution page.
Does anyone know where this is located or is this a one-time setting
during Linux installation?

/Bo

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 13:52:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
wrote:

>I am completely stumped by this:
>Installed RH6.2 on a PC that previously was running RH5.1, but with
>new disk, all other hardware the same. Video is a Trio S3 on teh
>motherboard.
>
>Used the graphic installation and specified KDE Workstation.
>
>After all was completed the system restarted and during that there was
>a brief show of a character based login. But before I was done typing
>in the login the screen disappeared completely into a black
>nothingness!
>Can't do anything here. Except I tried to login blindly by first
>typing root then TAB then the root password. This started some
>activity showing the system somehow is acting 'normally' except
>nothing is displayed!
>
>Tried to redo the installation as an 'Upgrade' (Why is there no
>'repair' option?) to preserve what I did before, but no good - still
>the black screen.
>
>Why does the screen disappear, there is a perfectly good graphics
>screen shown during the setup sequence???
>

>Bo Berglund
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bo Berglund

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: How to change screen size in RH6.2 (KDE)??
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:48:55 GMT

I have my screen set to 800x600 from the initial RH installation but
many applications display windows which do not fit on this screen.
Often the buttons are inaccessible outside the screen limits even!

So I need to change the size of the screen, but I cannot find where.
If I rightclick the background and select 'Display properties' a
multi-tabbed dialog pops up. It contains much the same window stuff as
in Win95 except there is no sign of a resolution setting page!

So I am just curious if this setting is a one-shot during system
installation or if it can be changed later? If it can be changed, do I
have to install some special program for this?

And another thing:
Is there some setting somewhere that can make the programs use only
the existing size of the screen instead of displaying windows and
buttons outside the actual screen limits?

Bo Berglund

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo with new kernel don't work
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:49:29 GMT

"alex k" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92tfpi$i6u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> hello.
>
> i installed slackware7.1 which has the 2.2.16 kernel.
> and lilo in MBR, which worked ok.
>
> but after i make a new kernel (2.2.18) i can't run lilo anymore.
> it complains something about cyl 1438>1024 i think.
> i tried installing the new 21.6.1 lilo, but it won't
> build. i get 4 errors, same with 21.5.
>
> funny, what does that have to do with which kernel i use?
> why did it work ok with 2.2.16??

This is probably a partitioning problem. The new kernel is probably located
at or above cylinder 1024. Does your disk have a separate /boot partition
which is below cylinder 1024?

LILO needs to use the BIOS disk accessing functions to read the kernel in.
Usually the BIOS cannot access cylinders above 1023 because there are only
10 bits in the BIOS call for the cylinder number. This makes it necessary to
have the kernel completely below cylinder 1024.

The usual cure for this problem is to have a separate ext2 partition at the
very beginning of the disk. The partition is the mounted at /boot. It will
contain all the files needed when booting up (second phase of LILO, kernel).
A sufficient size for the /boot partition is 8 - 16 MB. It is enough for a
couple of alternate kernels.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: "No" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiple e-mail "identities" under a single Linux user account?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:04:43 GMT

Hello -

This is my first attempt to get e-mail working, and I guess I'm having a
little trouble understanding how Linux mailboxes work.  I'm trying to set
up Balsa on my system to handle multiple mail identities.

I want to be able to select which of my return e-mail addresses and which
outgoing server to use on a per-message basis.  Also, when I reply to a
message, I want the reply message to as my return e-mail address the same
address to which the original message was addressed, and then also use the
outgoing mail server associated with that e-mail address.

Does anyone know how to do this?