Linux-Misc Digest #956, Volume #20                Wed, 7 Jul 99 18:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Visual programming language for linux? (Duncan Simpson)
  strange! (Patrick)
  Help defeat UCITA (Free Software Foundation)
  Re: Temporal anomaly ("Oliver D. Bedford")
  porting SunOS C++ program to RH 5.2 Linux ("Olson W.")
  Logitech FirstMouse+ (Alex Kaufman)
  Re: accessing c:\My Documents dir on a linux mount (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Receiving Mail over PPP (David L. Bilbey)
  how can i print a "window" (easily) :) (btoc)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (Paul D. Smith)
  Re: WIN9X vs WINNT vs Linux ("David Manley")
  Re: Did Samba Support Shadow Password? ("David ROSSIGNOL")
  Re: Still an NFS mount problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Newbie: aliases? (Steffan O'Sullivan)
  Signal 11? (Terry Fry)
  A version of libjpeg that ISN'T broken?! (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: WIN9X vs WINNT vs Linux ("Daron Roberts")
  Re: Connecting to NetZero through Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Release which-2.7 (Carlo Wood)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Subject: Re: Visual programming language for linux?
Date: 7 Jul 1999 16:11:04 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher
B. Browne) writes:

<stuff snipped>

>Is it a visual programming language like V?

>The subject line asks about visual programming languages.

I read a paper a while back that claimed that visual progrmaming
languages where universally slower to use and either hid rather too
much detial or quickly got messy, depending on the visual programming
language in question. None of the visual languages produced programs
that were any more reliable anyway. Unless you wish to push a CS point
I guess they are not worth much anyway.

Proof methods and analysis in general for such languages is lacking at
the moment, unless you translated them into non-visual versions
first---so if your program fials badly due a race condition or
something you are in there are no current formal, or even semi-formal,
methods to help. (Generally formal methods are good at locating
bugs--you try to prove something and the reason you fail is the bug).

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick)
Subject: strange!
Date: 7 Jul 1999 01:24:29 GMT

i forget the root password
i use Slackware boot disk and root disk to boot
when i type "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"
it said "dev/sda1 is not a block device"

why?

From: Free Software Foundation <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Help defeat UCITA
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 02:19:14 -0400

[The Free Software Project is posting this message to aid a campaign
led by others (see below) against UCITA.  For more information,
please see the web sites below.  Please repost this message as
widely as possible, wherever it is appropriate.]

UCITA (formerly UCC article 2B) is a plan to change the law in the US,
state by state, to give software publishers unprecedented power over
software users, through "shrink wrap" licenses.  Software owners would
be able to prohibit you from doing reverse-engineering to figure out
the protocol used by the program, prohibit you from telling the public
about bugs you encounter, insist that you can only sue them in
Paraguay, change the license terms post-facto, and enter your computer
to shut off the software if they claim you have violated their
one-sided license.

UCITA would also apply to other products that contain software or
information--for example, digital watches, microwave ovens, and cars.
Wave goodbye to consumer protection laws.

Fortunately, there is a strong campaign to oppose UCITA.  Infoworld
has organized a letter-writing petition campaign which you can join.
See http://forums.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?115803.

The principal vote (in late July) will by a committee of the state
representatives to the commission on uniform state laws, and there is
also a campaign asking you to write to your own state's commissioner.

See http://www.badsoftware.com/ for advice on how to do this, and much
more information about UCITA.  Another resource page about UCITA is
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/UCITA/.

I hope each US citizen or resident reading this message will help
oppose UCITA in one way or another.

------------------------------

From: "Oliver D. Bedford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Temporal anomaly
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:50:48 +0200

kev wrote:
> Thanks, the man page is interesting reading. I don't seem to have the hwclock
> command on my system though (Red Hat 6). Where do I get it from ?

  On RedHat 5.2 it's

[ojo@triton ojo]$ rpm -qf /sbin/hwclock
util-linux-2.8-11

  Oliver

------------------------------

From: "Olson W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: porting SunOS C++ program to RH 5.2 Linux
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:14:16 -0700

Hi!

I am porting small to medium size C++ program written for Solaris (comes
with makefile) to
R.H. Linux 5.2. I tried to modify the makefile and run it, but I could not
get it compiled properly.

At this point, I couldn't be more specific than what's mentioned above. But,
in generally, what
should one watch out when porting C++ program from Solaris to Linux?

thanks.

------------------------------

From: Alex Kaufman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech FirstMouse+
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 12:56:02 -0400

My Logitech FirstMouse+ refuses to work. I'm using the imwheel app. I've
added this to the Pointer section of XF86Config:

    ZAxisMapping        4 5
    Buttons             3

And put imwheel on the list of startup apps in Gnome, and it still
doesn't work. Please help!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: accessing c:\My Documents dir on a linux mount
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 16:56:29 GMT

cd "/dos/My Documents/"

On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 10:58:47 -0500, Andy Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>MGR wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 06 Jul 1999 20:14:14 -0400, root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >my windows c:\ drive is mounted as vfat in RH 6.0 at boot time.
>> >I can see the drive fine, and read & write to it, except for the "My
>> >Documents" directory, presumably because of the whitespace.
>> >Does anybody know a way around this without having to change the name of
>> >the directory in MSWindows.
>>
>> Or if you're really lazy (like me) and use bash as your shell, press
>> <Tab> after you've typed 'cd /dos/my' and it should autocomplete it
>> for you, quoting as necessary.
>>
>> -=-=-=-=-=-=-= Remove *'s for my real E-Mail =-=-=-=-
>>      m.g.ross@*herts.*ac.uk
>
>I usually just type 'cd my*'
>That works too.
>
>--
>Andy
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://www.umr.edu/~atb/
>
>Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
>- Murphy's Law

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: David L. Bilbey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Receiving Mail over PPP
Date: 7 Jul 1999 15:44:28 GMT

   +-----On 7 Jul 1999 14:56:50 GMT, Martin McCormick spoke unto us:----------
   [snip]
   | Are there any ISP's that will somehow queue mail for you and let your
   | MTA such as sendmail or whatever download it to your Linux system so
   | that you can use whatever user agent you like on it?  I presently
   | administer a Sun box at work and am working on installing Linux on a
   | system in my office, but the question of how to deal with mail on a
   | system that is not connected at  all times needs to be answered before
   | we can say that everything works.

   |    This is truly a Linux issue and not specifically a blind
   | issue.  The only way it is a blind issue is if the ISP requires that
   | one use a specific GUI-based application to download the waiting mail.
   | In a perfect world, the ISP need only be the interface between one's
   | UNIX system and the Internet with the applications and user interface
   | being the responsibility of the user of the system.

I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but I think fetchmail
is what you're looking for.  Fetchmail can be run to download mail from
other computers (including ISPs) using a few different protocols (POP3 and
IMAP for sure).

HTH,
David Bilbey

--
"Probably the saddest thing you'll ever see is a mosquito sucking on a
mummy.  Forget it, little friend."  --Jack Handey

------------------------------

From: btoc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how can i print a "window" (easily) :)
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 19:06:30 +0000

hi,

i am looking for a (kiss) program that will allow me to click on a
window and/or crop it and send it to my printer.
this can be done with xv by going thru several steps but is there a
specific purpose program to do this on
my x-terminal and console? sort of like xmag but with a print option.

--

bye, leon

Leon Haverly  Compuwork 770/426-5509 fax  770/514-1079 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              Marietta, GA  30064    home 770/422-9355 www.compuwork.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul D. Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark?
Date: 07 Jul 1999 16:46:32 -0400

%% [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord) writes:

  ao> Canada was involved, India was involved, Japan was involved, China
  ao> was involved, the Soviet Union was involved, South Africa was
  ao> involved, Australia / New Zealand were involved - and it was a
  ao> mainly European war...

When I said "European", I was including Russia.  Australia/New
Zealand/Canada went wherever Britain went.

As for Japan/China, until Dec, 1941 that was almost a separate, regional
war.  Even though there were various treaties and non-aggression pacts
between Japan and the other players, most nations were _not_ at war with
Japan before that, including Britain.  Also Canada, Poland, South
Africa, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

Between Dec 7, 1941 and Dec 13, 1941, all those countries (and more)
declared war on Japan, and in addition the U.S., the Central American
countries, Cuba, and a few others declared war on Japan _and_
Germany/Italy.

There's an argument to be made that this mushrooming of the conflict in
the space of less than a week, "choosing up sides" as it were, is the
real start to the _world_ war.  Whether it would have been called a
"World War" if none of those things had happened is something we'll
never know.

I actually don't agree with the original assertion; I've always felt
that WWII started on Sep. 1, 1939, no later than Sep. 3, 1939.  That's
the beginning of the conflict that directly grew into WWII, with no
intervening peace, so it's all WWII to me.  But that's just MHO.

All I was trying to say was that the original poster wasn't saying that
no war exists unless the U.S. is a party to it (which was the ridiculous
comment made in a followup), or even necessarily that no world war
exists unless the U.S. is involved, although some would make that
argument (would we still call it WWII if Great Britain hadn't been
involved, for example?  Maybe, maybe not.  Does it matter?  I can't for
the life of me see how.)

I'm done.

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Network Management Development

From: "David Manley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WIN9X vs WINNT vs Linux
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:07:18 -0400
Crossposted-To: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.win95

Kayla,

The apps that you mention are probably easiest supported with Microsoft.
LINUX would be tough to find these apps for, harder still to share the files
you create with others in the rest of the Microsoft dominated world.  LINUX
would be a good solution only if money is a HUGE concern.

If you buy WIndows 98 or NT 4 now, Micro$oft is offering a "Technology
UPgrade Solution", which basically means you will be able to upgrade for
free when Win 2000 comes around.  But I wouldn't worry about trying to
migrate to one platform until Win 2000. If everything is working now, don't
create additional headaches upgrading to NT 4 only to have to upgrade again
in 6 month's time.  Also, from a support standpoint, one OS and Office
application suite would be easiest to maintain.

news:7m09ek$25$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David ROSSIGNOL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Did Samba Support Shadow Password?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:43:52 GMT

Normally, there is no problem because samba check the password in smbpasswd
file and not in passwd.
you can have a lock user in passwd and the same user in smbpasswd file whith
a password.
try the smbadduser program.

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Still an NFS mount problem
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 16:38:52 GMT

On my system I have these packages installed:

[root@server /root]# rpm -qa | grep nfs
knfsd-1.2.2-4
knfsd-clients-1.2.2-4

[root@server /root]# rpm -qf /etc/exports
setup-2.0.2-1

The good news is that I have finally figured out a way to get around
what appears to be a bug in mountd or nfsd...  When I added my client's
IP address into the /etc/hosts file on my server, everything works ok.
That is, I added the clien's IP into /etc/hosts, and the client can
mount the file system without any permissions problems.  There is
definately a bug of some sort here because I don't think having the IP
in the hosts file should be necessary, especially given some of the
combinations I was trying in the exports file (allowing all hosts,
specifying the insecure option, etc.).

Does anyone have any idea why the server would require the client IP
address in the hosts file in order for things to work correctly?

In any event, to all the people that replied to my post and tried to
help: Thanks!

-Curt

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Denice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >The other day I asked if anyone had any idea about the NFS mounting
> >problem I'm having and thanks alot for the responses!  Unfortunately,
> >none of the suggestions have solved my problem, so I'm going to post
> >again with some extra info...  Ok, here goes again:
>
> [rest deleted]
>
> What is installed on your RH6 system; ie:
>
> rpm -qa | grep nfs
> rpm -qf /etc/exports
>
> --
> denice.deatrich @ NospaM.epfl.ch, EPFL - LCAV / LCM    PH: +41 (21)
693-5643

Subject: Re: Newbie: aliases?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steffan O'Sullivan)
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:12:42 GMT

Peter Verthez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What exactly did you try ?  'alias' is a command that is performed
>by the shell and all shells that I know support it (i.e. sh, bash,
>ksh, csh, tcsh).

Well, I have no idea what was wrong last night, but it works now!  I
tried it from both root and sos, though I was using the tcsh in both.
It worked in neither.  Now it works.  Go figure.

My thanks to both Peter and Jon for assuring me aliases are supported
so I tried them again.

Now if I can only figure out how to make fvwm2 understand my dvorak
keyboard driver, I'll be on the road to happiness.

--
 -Steffan O'Sullivan  |     "One time all the noises in the world
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |      met in one place and I was there

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Fry)
Subject: Signal 11?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 16:43:09 GMT

I had a link to a web page that described singal 11's and their
possible meaning, but lost it.  Anyone know of what page?

Terry Fry
Baltimore, MD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: A version of libjpeg that ISN'T broken?!
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 17:37:59 GMT

I'm not sure if it's me or not, but I can't make ANYTHING work with libjpeg
v62 except GNOME! (Which won't load with anything BUT).

I've installed libjpeg v62 (release 9), and the same version of jpeg-devel,
but I get errors like this;

/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `atexit@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `fprintf@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `getenv@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `stderr@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `__environ@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `memcpy@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `exit@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `sscanf@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `sprintf@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.6: undefined reference to `__bzero@@GLIBC_2.0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

when I try to compile cRadio (radio card tuner app).

WindowMaker refuses to use v62, no matter what I do (or how many symlinks
I make to it).

How in the world am I supposed to make GNOME, WindowMaker, cRadio, and
Eterm (which also refuses to work with v62) work with either one or the
other?

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Date: 7 Jul 1999 20:56:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Fredrich P. Maney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
= : The only countries that really BENEFITTED from the war were Germany and the
= : USA (Because it bumped the usa several rungs up the ladder of world power,
= : and everyone else down a couple.)

= Complete Bullshit. Even now Germany is *still* rebuilding and repairing
= from WWII.

Only in the East German parts.
Until the wall came down, WEST Germany built itself into the prime financial
power in europe. Power they still hold today (despite being put in the
shithouse by the re-unification).

The reason? After the war, Germany was banned from having a significant
military of its own, and we all know how much our governments spend on the
military budget every year. I forgot one country that benefitted... Japan ,
for the same reason.

= : Our farmers feed the US
= : = population and 25% of the rest of the world. The American people
= : = freely give of their time and money to those less fortunate.

= : And people from other countries DON'T?

= Not in anywhere near the numbers that the US does they don't.

Only because we don't HAVE the numbers...
How about a percentage? That would be more... Objective...

--
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |

------------------------------

From: "Daron Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:47:58 -0600
Crossposted-To: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.win95

>From an administrators point of view and IMHO, NT is so much easier to
maintain. Upgrades are upgrades .. some go good other go terribly wrong! I
was shocked to see how long a windows 98 upgrade took .. I can install 3 NT
workstations in that time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Connecting to NetZero through Linux
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:40:21 GMT

There is always away.
But here are some points.

The Good:
One:
NetZero Uses standard Dial-Up-Networking (VPN)
and all the Microsoft Default protocols.

Two:
Written in Java! I think? (See coffee cup Icon). :P
And Like a good or bad cup of coffee works anywhere.

Three:
There is WINE (windows emulator) when all else fails. :)

The bad:
One:
Netzero MUST start the services. Probably looking for specific ones by
name.

Two:
This would require knowledge of Linux VPN and Windows VPN.
I knowonly how to setup windows.

Three:
I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes. It would be trial and
error.  But since it took me a month of repeated nightly attempts to
install Linux anyway. (my CDRom which isn't supported died). I don't
give up easily. I just need to know what (how to's software etc. to do
this.)

Adam

From: Carlo Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,alt.sources.d
Subject: Release which-2.7
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:24:33 +0200 (CEST)

Released: GNU which 2.7

  Which is a utility that prints out the full path of the
  executables that bash(1) would execute when the passed
  program names would have been entered on the shell prompt.
  It does this by using the exact same algorithm as bash.
  Tildes and a dot in the PATH are now expanded to the
  full path by default.  Options allow you to instead print
  "~/*" or "./*" and/or to print all executables that
  match any directory in PATH.

Examples:
  >which ls
  /bin/ls
  >which --show-tilde cat
  ~/c/which/cat

Maintained-by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlo Wood)
Primary-site: http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/which/
Alternate-site: ftp.gnu.org /gnu/which
Copying-policy: GPL

NEWS:

Version 2.6 --> 2.7

* Support for aliases
* Configure/compile fix in the `tilde' directory.

Version 2.5 --> 2.6

* Doesn't depend on libreadline.a anymore.

Version 2.4 --> 2.5

* Fixed which-2.spec
* RPMs are now available from http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/which

--
 Carlo Wood  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[ Most GNU software is compressed using the GNU `gzip' compression program.
  Source code is available on most sites distributing GNU software.
  Executables for various systems and information about using gzip can be
  found at the URL http://www.gzip.org.

  For information on how to order GNU software on CD-ROM and
  printed GNU manuals, see http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html
  or e-mail a request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
  develop more free software.  Media revenues are our primary source of
  support.  Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.

  The above software will soon be at these ftp sites as well.
  Please try them before ftp.gnu.org as ftp.gnu.org is very busy!
  A possibly more up-to-date list is at the URL
        http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

  thanx [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Here are the mirrored ftp sites for the GNU Project, listed by country:

  United States:

  California - labrea.stanford.edu/pub/gnu, gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/GNU
  Hawaii - ftp.hawaii.edu/mirrors/gnu
  Illinois - uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu (Internet address 128.174.5.14)
  Kentucky -  ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/gnu
  Maryland - ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 164.109.10.23)
  Massachusetts - aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu
  Michigan - gnu.egr.msu.edu/pub/gnu
  Missouri - wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu
  New Mexico - ftp.cs.unm.edu/mirrors/gnu
  New York - ftp.cs.columbia.edu/archives/gnu/prep
  Ohio - ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/mirror/gnu
  Tennessee - ftp.skyfire.net/pub/gnu
  Virginia - ftp.uu.net/archive/systems/gnu
  Washington - ftp.nodomainname.net/pub/mirrors/gnu

  Africa:

  South Africa - ftp.sun.ac.za/gnu

  The Americas:

  Brazil - ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
  Brazil - master.softaplic.com.br/pub/gnu
  Brazil - linuxlabs.lci.ufrj.br/gnu
  Canada - ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
  Chile - ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu (Internet address 146.83.198.3)
  Costa Rica - sunsite.ulatina.ac.cr/GNU
  Mexico - ftp.uaem.mx/pub/gnu

  Australia:

  Australia - archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
  Australia - ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Australia - mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnu

  Asia:

  Japan - tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
  Japan - ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/gnu
  Korea - cair-archive.kaist.ac.kr/pub/gnu (Internet address 143.248.186.3)
  Saudi Arabia - ftp.isu.net.sa/pub/mirrors/prep.ai.mit.edu/
  Taiwan - ftp.edu.tw/UNIX/gnu/
  Taiwan - ftp.nctu.edu.tw/UNIX/gnu/
  Taiwan - ftp1.sinica.edu.tw/pub3/GNU/gnu/
  Thailand - ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/mirrors/gnu (Internet address - 192.150.251.32)

  Europe:

  Austria - ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/gnu
  Austria - gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc
  Belgium - ftp.be.gnu.org/
  Austria - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/
  Czech Republic - ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/gnu/
  Denmark - ftp.denet.dk/mirror/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu
  Denmark - ftp.dkuug.dk/pub/gnu/
  Finland - ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.irisa.fr/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/
  Germany - ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.de.uu.net/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.forthnet.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.aua.gr/pub/mirrors/GNU (Internet address 143.233.187.61)
  Hungary - ftp.kfki.hu/pub/gnu
  Ireland - ftp.esat.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 193.120.14.241)
  Italy - ftp.oasi.gpa.it/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.eu.net/gnu (Internet address 192.16.202.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.nluug.nl/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu (Internet address 131.155.70.19)
  Norway - ftp.ntnu.no/pub/gnu (Internet address 129.241.11.142)
  Poland - ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/gnu
  Portugal - ftp.ci.uminho.pt/pub/mirrors/gnu
  Portugal - http://ciumix.ci.uminho.pt/mirrors/gnu/
  Portugal - ftp.ist.utl.pt/pub/gnu
  Russia - ftp.chg.ru/pub/gnu/
  Slovenia - ftp.arnes.si/pub/software/gnu
  Spain - ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.isy.liu.se/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.stacken.kth.se
  Sweden - ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.238.127.3)
           Also mirrors the Mailing List Archives.
  Sweden - swamp.ios.chalmers.se/pub/gnu/
  Switzerland - ftp.eunet.ch/mirrors4/gnu
  Switzerland - sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu (Internet address 193.5.24.1)
  United Kingdom - ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.88.203.12)
  United Kingdom - unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/gnu
  United Kingdom - ftp.warwick.ac.uk (Internet address 137.205.192.14)
  United Kingdom - SunSITE.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu (Internet address 193.63.255.4)

]