Linux-Misc Digest #956, Volume #23               Sun, 26 Mar 00 14:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: 2 versions of netscape and real player (Bill Piety)
  Re: site snagger for linux? (Bastian)
  Re: Dish Network's site is DOWN if you don't use M$'s browser. (Involuntary)
  Re: Default Home Directories for pam_smb (John E Suche)
  sound turtle beach montego? ("Mecky")
  Re: Dish Network's site is DOWN if you don't use M$'s browser. (Involuntary)
  postfix mailer on mandrake 7.0 (Bob van der Poel)
  Re: how to lock the keyboard (Janet)
  Re: LICQ file receive using InJoy FireWall for OS/2 Warp 4 (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1] ("Jim Ross")
  Help! Tgif font problem (Peter Schaffter)
  Re: site snagger for linux? (Big Daddy)
  Help! Wordnet-Tcl/Tk problem (Peter Schaffter)
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1] ("Michael W.
Coulson")
  Re: postfix mailer on mandrake 7.0 (Bruce Stephens)
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1] ("Michael W.
Coulson")
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1] ("Michael W.
Coulson")
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1] (David
Steuber)
  Re: permission denied (David Steuber)
  Re: Dish Network's site is DOWN if you don't use M$'s browser. (David Steuber)
  Re: Upgrading SuSE v6.0 to v6.3? (David Steuber)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Piety)
Subject: Re: 2 versions of netscape and real player
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:09:42 GMT

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:30:04 GMT, Shawn Duffy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello...
>
>I am using Red Hat 6.1 and the version of Netscape that came with it was
>4.61...
>Well, I installed 4.72 but during installation it asked if it should be
>installed in the default /opt/netscape directory and I said yes, but it
>didn't upgrade 6.1.... so no big deal, I just linked my launchers to
>/opt/netscape/netscape...
>Here's the problem... I installed Real Player 7 and when I did it said
>that there are two versions of netscape running and it was going to use
>6.1...
>How do I either...
>Install 4.72 into the 6.1 directory so it upgrades 6.1 and can use
>RealPlayer, or....
>how do I get 4.72 and Real Player to work together...?

<snip>
I may do it the long way, but open Netscape, under menu 'edit',
'preferences', expand category 'Navigator' to show 'Applications'.
This can be used to link external apps or plugins. You can configure
4.72 to match that of your earlier 4.61 if that earlier configuration
is still applicable to your current setup.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bastian)
Subject: Re: site snagger for linux?
Date: 26 Mar 2000 17:10:34 GMT

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:48:15 GMT, Bob Koss wrote:
>Does anyone know of a utility that will let me download websites,
>complete with links, for offline viewing. I have a windows utility
>called sitesnagger that does this, but that means I have to boot
>windows :-(

Try wget.

Bastian.

------------------------------

From: Involuntary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv,rec.video.satellite.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x,comp.infosystems.www.browsers,comp.infosystems.www.browswers.misc
Subject: Re: Dish Network's site is DOWN if you don't use M$'s browser.
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:15:16 GMT

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 00:32:34 -0800, "N. George"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

> I hate IE as well; I am running Netscape v4.72 in Win2k Pro and it
> crashes me too... --Nat

For me Netscape was crashing all the time, not to mention the fact that
it loads pages at about 1/3 the speed of IE due to it's horrible
handling of the cache.  IE might not handle the cache perfectly either,
but it does a much better job than Netscape.

involuntary

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:18:33 -0500
From: John E Suche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Default Home Directories for pam_smb

Jason Corbett wrote:

> I am sorry I didn't make my question clear.  What I really want is users
> who have their account on a windows NT domain can logon (physically at the
> terminal) to the linux machine.  I can get them authenticated by pam_smb,
> but I don't know how to set up a home directory for them.  What I need is a
> way that when they logon to the linux machine it will automatically mount a
> smb shared filesystem specified by a directory share and then their user
> name.  For example user joe would login:
>
> Login: joe
> Passwd: 46dks0k (normally not shown of course
>
> then their home directory on the linux Client would be /home/joe but the
> login program would call smbmount with their username and password and the
> directory share and mount it on /home/joe.  I hope I've been a little
> clearer.  Again I appologize for the cloudiness of the first question.

1.  Use linuxconf on the the Linux box to create the Unix user account using
the same username/password that is on the Win NT machine.  It is listed as
User accounts in the tree.

2.  Verify/Edit the [global] section of smb.conf on the Linux machine to
ensure that encrypted passwords is set.  Win 98/NT and newer revisions of 95
use them and if not set, the User will be prompted for a password that will
never resolve when attempting to access his share.

    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb password file = /etc/smbpasswd  (or wherever it is on your system)

3.  Look at the [homes] section of the smb.conf and see if something similar
to the following is listed.  This is the easiest to setup.  If you had 50 Win
NT users you would have to create 50 individual shares in Samba.  This way you
just have to make only one:

[homes]
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

4.  After you have created the Win NT user's Unix account in Linux, you need
to generate a Miscosoft-format machine password using smbpasswd.  Use the same
user login/password as on the NT machine and the Linux machine.  This is why
you need to do para 2 above.

5.  You need to make sure that "File and Print Sharing" are enable on the
Windows machines.

=====================

After you have done the above , here is what happens when the user logs in
from NT.  We will use your example of user joe and password 46dks0k.

a.  Joe logs in with joe/46dks0k from NT.  Because there is no [joe] share,
Samba will search for a [homes] share in smb.conf.  If [homes] exists, the
unidentified share name [joe] is assumed to be a Unix username, which is
queried in the password database of the Samba server.  If that username
appears, Samba assumes the client is a Unix user trying to connect to his home
directory on the Linux/Samba server.

b.  When Joe goes to Network Neighborhood on NT he will see all of the Windows
machines that are in his workgroup and well as the Samba Server machine name
(you need to make sure that the workgroup variable in [global] of smb.conf
equals the workgroup on Windows. i.e Windows workgroup is WORKGROUP, then in
[global] workgroup = WORKGROUP).

c.  When Joe clicks on the Samba server's machine name he will see his Unix
home directory listed.  When he clicks on his home directory he will see the
contents of his home directory.  If you use Windows Explorer and map the share
to a drive letter, it will show up in My Computer and Windows Explorer as a
drive whenever he logs into Windows.

=========

I don't know the environment that you are trying to do this in, but security
is probably a concern.  There are a lot of configuration feature in Samba that
could benefit you.  Again, I strongly suggest that you might want to get the
"Using Samba"  published by O'Reilly and Associates (ISBN 1-56592-449-5).  It
covers how Windows 95/98/NT needs to be configured;  how to set up printer
shares; shares for individual users or groups;  access and permissions on the
Samba Server.  You can even use Samba to do tape backups using smbtar of the
workgroup.  All of this kind of stuff is covered in great detail in the book.

Regards,

John Suche

------------------------------

From: "Mecky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound turtle beach montego?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:47:05 +0200

Hi,
is there a possibility to get the "Turtle Beach Montego" PCI Sounddevice to
run in kernel 2.2.10?

------------------------------

From: Involuntary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:51:15 GMT

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 01:16:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert
Heininger) posted:

> Dish Network and all other aspiring web site developers need to get a clue :
> and they can find it here:
>

> http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign
>

> If I can't view a site with Lynx : they don't get my business. It's that
> simple.

I can understand your concern.  When I've got a headache, I turn of
image loading, background image loading and I use my own text colors for
reading on the web.  However, some of the stuff on that site is just way
too restrictive.  The internet and computers, while widely used, are
still in their "infancy" so to speak.  Most people who are new to the
web will use Internet Explorer or Netscape unless they're strong-armed
into using something like Lynx or Mosaic.

I have built a page or two in my time and I prefer speed over
flashiness, though I did experiment with appearance once and found that
my home page displays perfectly on my machine as far as color matching
goes, but I loaded it on another machine and colors matched horribly,
especially at lower color depths.

While the opening page for my home page (which I haven't touched for
months) uses java for rollover images and frames, if you have a browser,
you can see the color matching problem here:

   http://home.earthlink.net/~involuntary/

If you want to see just the title frame which is nothing more than a
background image with an image on top of it, load this page:

   http://home.earthlink.net/~involuntary/title.html

I was going to do some work on it today, but I may wait a few days until
anybody who wants to see it has done so.  No, there are no
advertisements on the opening page. :-)

The colors match perfectly on my PC at all color depths expect 256
colors.  But then I run at 24-bit or 32-bit color since I have the video
memory to do it.

Now I like having a page that looks nice, but I also don't like going
overboard on graphics and special functions that do nothing but make the
site slow to load.

Once I even thought about making a whole website that was nothing but
80-character lines of fixed-width multi-colored text on a black
background.  It would look similar to a BBS.  It would certainly be
fast, but it would take a lot longer to create something like that in a
WYSIWYG editor, and even longer in a text editor.

Involuntary

From: Bob van der Poel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: postfix mailer on mandrake 7.0
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:28:56 -0700

I recently installed mandrake 7.0 on my system. All seems to run
reasonably well, but I just noticed that my local mail system wasn't
working. Not a big deal (I use netscape, manually sending/rec external
mail via dialup). The only time I get local mail are from cron tasks,
etc.

So, I did some testing and found that makdrake is using postfix as its
mail agent. If I send mail to another user on my system (just using
mail), I get a warning about sendmail running as suid, and a note that
the message has been stored. However, the recepient can't find the
message with mail.

I did some checking and found that the mail is stored in
/var/spool/postfix/deferred/.

So, what the heck am I supposed to do to get this working properly. BTW,
I've had several other other distros and never had a problem before....

--
   __
  /  )      /         Bob van der Poel

------------------------------

From: Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to lock the keyboard
Date: 26 Mar 2000 10:03:48 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Why not use the password lock in the screensaver?
>
> Is this screensaver text based? I'd like to run it from a text shell.
> If so, in what RPM could I find it in my CD set?
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

How about vlock?  If you use vlock -a, you disable access to all virtual
consoles (which is nice because you can get past xlock by switching VCs).

Janet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: LICQ file receive using InJoy FireWall for OS/2 Warp 4
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:36:32 GMT

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:43:42 GMT, William L. Hartzell wrote:
>The Linux wiseguy is right.  Drop the Linux newsgroup.  It is a firewall
>issue that you can configure, not compile an answer.  Ask in the
>Comp.os.os2.networking.misc  newsgroup.

What about the firewall configuration in LICQ? Did I forget to mention that
part?

That's the reason I CC'ed to both linux.misc and os2.misc groups. I was
somewhat hoping for an answer on not only how to configure the firewall (if
it indeed does need any configuring), but also how to configure LICQ to deal
with that particular firewall.

Now, does anybody other than these now two "Linux wiseguys" have any
suggestions on how to configure LICQ to use the InJoy Firewall in order to
receive file transfers?

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: "Jim Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1]
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:22:59 -0500

Len Philpot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>Almost sounds like he is on the M$ payroll or their band wagon one.
> >>After win95 who needs M$?
>
> And the scary part is that Win98 is even worse...
>

>  -------------------------------------------------------------
>  - Len Philpot -> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (personal)
>  ---------------> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 (work)
>  ----- ><> -----> http://www.centuryinter.net/lphilpot/  (web)

No, W2K is worse.
Can't wait until they tie MS-BOB onto it and parade it around.
Or maybe AOL will continue on the path of becoming a full OS itself
w/instant messager instead of a start button.

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Schaffter)
Subject: Help! Tgif font problem
Date: 26 Mar 2000 18:39:21 GMT

Hi!

I'm looking for help with fonts in tgif (4.1.25-3, from Debian).
Hoping someone can help/explain.

My problem is that when I use certain fonts in a tgif document,
the doc won't print.  Two examples of offending fonts are:
Tempo (from the freefont Type-1 package) and BlackForest
(from the sharefont package).  Both of these work fine in
other apps.  They preview without problem in gv/Ghostview.  I've
even converted them for use with groff, and they print just
fine.

In tgif, they load properly and show up on the screen (as well
as any other font, which isn't saying much since font rendering
in tgif is pretty ugly).  However, when I try to print a doc
using them, nothing happens.  My printer just sits there.

I tried converting .obj files with these fonts to PS, and
discovered that the doc converts just fine, except that the
problem fonts simply don't show up.

What's going on?

--
PTPi
(Peter Schaffter)

------------------------------

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Mar 2000 18:39:26 GMT

Scribbling furiously, Bastian managed to write....
: Try wget.

also search for "wget" on freshmeat for some other utilities using it,
incl. graphical frontends.

--
Big Daddy

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you
can't eat all your friends.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Schaffter)
Subject: Help! Wordnet-Tcl/Tk problem
Date: 26 Mar 2000 18:40:50 GMT

Hi!

I'm having difficulty with the Wordnet Tcl/Tk browser.  Hoping
someone can help.

When I enter a search word in the text field at the top of the
browser, all I get for results is an error message.  Using the
stack trace function, I'm told:

        syntax error in expression "@X,@@X,@0 & @"
                while executing
        "expr $bitfield & [bit $abssearchtypenumber]"

I know zilch about Tcl/Tk, so I have no idea how to correct the
problem.  Anybody know what's going on?  Have quick fixes?

The version of Wordnet I'm using is 1.6-10, from Debian.
Tcl/Tk is 8.2.  I've tried Wordnet with Tcl/Tk 8.0 and earlier
versions; same thing.

What's really annoying is that I used to have Wordnet 1.6-7, and
it worked just fine.  (Won't go into why I don't have it
anymore; it's a long story.)

All help will be appreciated.

--
PTPi
(Peter Schaffter)

------------------------------

From: "Michael W. Coulson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:49:11 GMT

jdaspinw wrote:

> of the world knows.  Yes, Linux is hard to setup. Why?
> Because Linux has you interact with the installation, and

Hmm, some of the later installations I found no more difficult than a
typical windows install - in fact, Windows 2000 complained and gave me
more hassle than Red hat 6.1.  What people fail to recognize is that
your mileage will vary.  Different hardware, etc...  Both will have
problems in certain situations - but given the advancements in the linux
install for several major distributions - I find it hard to believe that
people still find Linux hard to install.  Not as a generalization
anyway.  Each situation is it's own.

> The simple truth is that Microsoft makes a damned fine
> operating system, and if you can't run Windows without
> crashing it, then you'd better get the hell out of Linux
> before it smacks you upside the head so hard you don't even

Again - your mileage will vary.  On my laptop at work friday Windows 98
SE crashed solid 3 times in the afternoon.  The power button was my only
savior.  Red hat on my desktop at home has crashed once - in 2 years of
constant running.  (Never figured out what I did that time either :)
Yet I hear people say they never have windows crash on them.  So - again
- it depends on the situation and hardware involved.

> on instant messenger to chat with some friends, then to go
> into Linux and startx and then see if your kaudioserver is
> running tonight or not.

My PC boots up in X (When it boots at all - I leave it up) and I have no
idea what a kaudioserver is though I use GNOME rather than KDE.  Still -
My ICQ instant messenger is always running as is AOL IM.  I don't feel
I'm missing anything.  I run the same setup on my Win2k box downstairs -
I don't find it any more fun.

> they aren't the only operating systems out there on the
> market!  There's MacOS, Unix varieties, and OS/2 just to
> name a few.  You have to see the big picture, and that is,
> and operating system is an operating system.

But there will always be preferences.  Until I found Linux (for the 3rd
time - as early versions were significantly more difficult to install :)
two years ago my preference on the above list was OS/2.  Ran it almost
exclusively from OS/2 2.1 to Warp 4.0.  Then IBM Dropped us. :(  I've
used Windows (all versions since 3.0), Dos, OS/2, Beos, Linux, FreeBSD,
Solaris, SCO Unix, DR-Dos - They all do the same thing.  But it's how
they do it that matters.

> And Linux is no more stable, secure, or easy to manipulate
> than Windows.  All you're doing is regurgitating bull crap
> you picked up somewhere in a magazine, or from one of these
> discussion groups.  Do any of you have what it takes to
> write an operating system?  Have you contributed to the Open

That's a blanket statement - not true in all cases.  I find Linux far
more stable, secure and easy to manipulate than Windows.  I don't expect
others to feel the same however.  And you are correct - not everyone has
what it takes to write an OS - I certainly could read the code easily
enough.  There's nothing difficult about the C language.  But there is
certainly differences with writing applications - vs writing OS's.
However - the thing I like most is that I COULD work on the Kernal if I
chose to.  For someone wishing to learn about operating systems - where
else can you get such an oportunity?

> right to trash windows.  And then late at night you sneak
> back on to good old 98 and play Unreal or Quake.

That last argument makes no sense - late at night I do play Unreal,
Quake, but mostly Heroes of might and magic 3.  However - I only own the
linux versions and no one has yet written an emulator to run them on
Windows.  ;)

> for Microsoft?  Do you understand the pressure they are
> under to shell out the next big operating system every other
> year?  If not, then shut the hell up

Pressure - only in that they need the revenue.  Windows 95 was a big
event.  Hell - why else would they have hung banners from the CN tower
in Toronto?  That was a significant release - major upgrade from 3.1.
Windows 98 - a few new features - not many in my opinion.  And a
relatively quiet release.  Worth it for the bug fixes - but the price of
the upgrade was to high IMO for what you got out of it.  We don't
necessarily need a new operating system every other year.  How long
between 3.1 and 95?  We need it when they have significant new features
to add for us.  Microsoft (and the rest too) need it when sales drop on
their existing OS.

> screw them.  And hey, they made a graphic interface
> installer that doesn't really work!!! Ain't that grand!

Hell - I never got the Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 install program to get to
the point it actually installed anything.  Nothing is perfect as you
point out.

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: postfix mailer on mandrake 7.0
Date: 26 Mar 2000 19:45:20 +0100

Bob van der Poel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> So, what the heck am I supposed to do to get this working
> properly. BTW, I've had several other other distros and never had a
> problem before....

I guess you could either replace postfix with sendmail (if Mandrake
makes that easier, and you happen to know how to configure sendmail),
or you could configure postfix.

Personally, I'd go for the latter.  You'll probably find the
configuration files in /etc/postfix (that's where debian sticks them,
anyway).  Edit main.cf, then run "postfix reload" as root.

As mailers go, I found postfix the easiest to configure.

------------------------------

From: "Michael W. Coulson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:52:06 GMT

Paul wrote:

> Funny, windows runs fine but linux takes 4 hours of setup to get a printer
> and a usb mouse working.
> Become superior before claiming you are.

Hmm - my printer was set up in about 5 minutes.  Can't comment on USB as
I've not seen enough USB devices to warrant using it.  (Everywhere I
look - USB hubs. No devices to plug into the damn things. :)

------------------------------

From: "Michael W. Coulson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:54:14 GMT

Eric Peterson wrote:

> Nope.  You got it backwards.
> Windows sets up fine (usually) but then crashes a lot when you try to run
> it.
> Linux is (still) tough to set up properly, but once it is,  it NEVER
> crashes.
> Which would you prefer?  Personally, if everything I wanted to run had a
> Linux version, I doubt that I would EVER boot Windows again.

That's not entirely correct.  Nothing NEVER crashes. :)  I had Linux
crash on me once - but that's with 2 years + constant running.  That's a
good track record don't you think. :)  Personally - everything I want to
run has a Linux version.  My main machine has not booted another OS in
over 2 years.  My other machine runs Windows(all versions) Beos,
Freebsd, solaris,etc - only 'cause I like to tinker. :)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.redhat
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:59:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Len Philpot) writes:

' And the scary part is that Win98 is even worse...

Don't fret,  Win2K
will make your problems go away!

Are you ready for online registration to make your server work?

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.packetphone.org/

Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side?  And hain't that a big
enough majority in any town?
                -- Mark Twain, "Huckleberry Finn"

------------------------------

Subject: Re: permission denied
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:00:00 GMT

Jaime Perez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' How can I solve this problem?

I'm not an expert, but Apache runs as nobody.  Nobody can't do much of
anything for security reasons.  There should be a way to run Apache as
somebody who is in the same group as the user you want to write files
to.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.packetphone.org/

Save the Whales -- Harpoon a Honda.

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:59:59 GMT

So, why don't you guys get together and write a better web browser for
X?  Yes, it would be a _huge_ project.  You will also want to pass on
the MPL code.  Better to stick with a BSD license or GPL.

I would do it myself, but I am working on another project that turns
out to be more complicated than I first expected.

Just a thought.

PS:  No such thing as a WYSIWYG editor for HTML.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.packetphone.org/

Alden's Laws:
        (1) Giving away baby clothes and furniture is the major cause
            of pregnancy.
        (2) Always be backlit.
        (3) Sit down whenever possible.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Upgrading SuSE v6.0 to v6.3?
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:00:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger) writes:

' I know that upgrading Linux distros is generally not the better way to go,
' but I've got 100s of hours into configuring this version to do exactly what
' I want, so I'm not sure I want to scrap it.

I've got the same problem.  I have a laptop computer that uses the
neomagic drivers for X that I would like to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2.
And of course 6.4 is about to come out.  What a dilema!

' Does anybody have any experience in upgrading SuSE Linux v6.0 to SuSE Linux
' v6.3? I've got both versions sitting here, and was wondering if the upgrade
' procedure would be less painful than that from v5.2 to v6.0 (ISTR my Linux
' partition gaining 500 megs of who-knows-what, and system performance going
' straight down the tubes..).

I plan on backing up my laptop to my other machine so that I can get
back stuff.  I'm going to try the upgrade system option in yast and
hope for the best.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.packetphone.org/

"Calling J-Man Kink.  Calling J-Man Kink.  Hash missile sighted, target
Los Angeles.  Disregard personal feelings about city and intercept."