  Re: I think I have a convert IF.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux has finally crashed
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:49:19 GMT

On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 18:37:19 -0400, James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku) wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:11:32 +0100, Jon Skeet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>>Isn't there some new file system on the horizon using B-trees which is
>>>journalling and yet faster than ext2fs?
>>
>>What would be the advantage of using B-trees? They are a rather complicated
>>structure.
>
>Faster file search, which becomes important on larger drives with
>lots of files.

Ah you mean using B-trees for directories.

------------------------------

From: David Nordstedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: pls help: system hangs on /bin/sync
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:47:12 -0400

S.T. Wong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We've a RH 6.0 server recently upgraded from 5.0.   Whenever there're large
> volume of data being read/write to filesystem, then a "/bin/sync" will hang
> up the system - all disk I/O related operations hanged.
>
> Would anyone please help?
> Thanks a lot!
> Regards,
> --
> S.T. Wong                           | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't know if this helps, but I am using RH 5.1 and I get a system
hang whenever I use sync and also at shutdown when the system says it is
"unmounting remote file systems".  I use linux on my home PC and I boot
every day back and forth between Win95 and linux.  I always get a forced
check on my drive at boot because the drive wasn't unmounted cleanly.
Very frustrating.

--
David R. Nordstedt
=============================

From: "Rick Carlson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.c-programming,linux.dev.kernel,linux.redhat.devel
Subject: Custom login prompt...
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 23:40:10 -0500

I would like to modify the login prompt to display an interactive menu using
ncurses.
Apparently, I did not install the source code, and I don't know where I put
the CD's.
Can anyone point me to the exact location to download the source for the
mingetty program?
I am running RedHat 5.2 (Apollo), with Linux kernal 2.0.36 on an Intel
Pentium.

Remove the obvious ".spamsucks" from my E-mail address to reply directly to
me.

Thanks,

Rick Carlson
Houston, TX.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Installing uncompress
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:25:51 GMT

I am trying to find a copy of uncompress for a MIPS machine running
Linux.  I am installing Excite for Web Servers on the machine, but the
installer for EWS won't run without a copy of uncompress on the machine.
I know gunzip is usually the preferred program, but this installer just
won't run without uncompress.  I've found come uncompress binaries for
Linux, but they don't work on a MIPS machine (the Cobalt RaQ 2).  Any
help with finding a copy of uncompress for MIPS or one that I can just
compile myself would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Beau Mack

Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 17:05:14 +0100
From: Jens Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Must root and swap partitions be primary?

Duy D. wrote:

> > You can't put LILO's boot block thingy on a logical partition.
> >
> > You *can* put it on an extended partition that *contains* logical
> > partitions, but some Linux tools don't know about this and don't
> > permit it (I remember a RedHat install not permitting this for
> > example; don't know what version).
>
> You *can* put LILO on a logical partition, but not an extended partition.  You
> can't write data to an extended partition.
>

> > Each extended partition can contain up to four logical volumes itself.
> > So, you should be able to get up to 16 useful partitions, if you have
> > no primary partitions -- but I'd say it's not a good idea, as that
> > configuration is pretty unusual and isn't going to have been as
> > thoroughly tested.
>
> You can have only one extended partition on a disk, and I'm pretty sure you can
> have more than four logical partitions within the extended partition.
> 1 extended partition + 3 primary partitions = 4 primary partitions.
>

> > --
> > Doug DeJulio      | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

Hi all,
"Throw another log on the fire"
I have been an OS/2 user for some years now, prior to that DOS (of course)
I didn't want to throw out all the good DOS apps so I used the OS/2
Bootmanager to swap OS's, very good.
Added #$%*Win95, still good.
Four Primary Partitions; add Linux ? ; throw out #$%*Win95 ! Good.
Added Linux, did NOT write LILO to MBR, using OS/2 Bootmanager.
(LILO is only used for starting : Linux single.)
I was made aware of alternative boot managers, look here:
http://www.sharelook.de/cgi-bin/SDB_search.cgi?PATH=%2FComputer_und_Internet%2F&DOC=%2FComputer_und_Internet%2FBetriebssysteme.html&CHHOST=&CHROOT=&HOSTNAME=Sharelook.de&KEYWD=bootmanager&ALL=1

(don't worry about language, alternatives are available)
I am now using Bootmanager Bootstar, -- excellent.
Bootstar can manage 16 Primary Partitions,
hide or make available any partition (logical drive) of your choice,
has a high level of flexibility, ease of installation, backout, temporary uninstall

(to use PartitionMagic / FIPS), facilitates security, truly user hidden partitions.

If you have free space available, it is easy to test another OS or version.
Ok, I don't know much about LILO's capabilities, why would I want to ?
Have fun !
Jens Schmidt in windy Wellington, New Zealand
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux assembly, etc
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:53:56 GMT

On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:44:49 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 12:30:39 GMT, JC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >(This is probably for those ex-DOS assembly language programmers.)
>>
>> Please fix your news posting software so that it does not add carriage
>> return characters to the ends of you lines.
>>

>Please fix your software, adding CR-LF is mandatory

I'm using slrn, like countless other people. See my header.

>from rfc 977

Get a clue stick. The message I responded to had additional carriage returns in
violation of the above RFC. The CR-LF pairs described in 977 are transparent
to the end users. Yet I could see extra carriage returns in the guy's posting,
which my editor visibly shows as ^M.

------------------------------

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: RW ATAPI CDROM how to use
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 06:12:33 +0100

>>Aaron
>thanks. I got the CDRW ATAPI going with my old homebrew and eventually
>burned a CD with most (if not all of my stuff). Bridges are now burned
>and the RH 6.0 is installed. It crashed during the X11 configuration
>and twice since so I'm a bit unhappy with RH. I see large numbers of
>rpms in the errata section at www.redhat.com; is there any way to tell
>what bugs features etc these are intended to replace?
>
>And as for the image testing; in the end I made an ext2 loopback file
>system and shoved everything into that.
I'm now having trouble with my new RH 6.0 system. I'm using exactly the
same technique, but during the boot of 2.2.10 I see that the kernel
still thinks it has access to the cd's as hdc & hdd

I have
IDE2/ATAPI CDROM off
SCSI support m
SCSI emulation m
SCSI CDROM m
SCSI GENERIC m

and I can't mount with either device hdc/d or sr0/1; I think the BIOS is
being used to grab info about the cdroms. This isn't the same as in
2.0.36.
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marco Anglesio)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: The Incredible Shrinking / !  Help!
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 05:18:47 GMT

On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 19:04:12 GMT, Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm finding something very odd on my SuSE 6.1 Linux system.  Every day
>that I log in, I lose another 2% of my root ( / ) directory!  Two days

1) check /var, which contains logfiles (/var/log) and other such things.

2) Use du, disk usage, which will show you the size of the contents of
each directory below the current one. Start at the root directory. cd /;
du -hk --max-depth=1 works for me.

3) Your partitioning scheme is really, really strange.

>/boot  7 megs
>/      100 megs
>/home  100 megs
>/opt   750 megs
>/usr   1 gigabyte

If I was to take your ~2G and partition it, I'd go

/       1.8G
/var    200M

if you're hosting users other than yourself on a friendly basis, give a
decent amount of space per user (say, 10M), multiply it by the maximum no.
of users you plan to host, and double that. Maybe 200M all told in /home,
stolen from the / allocation.

If you're hosting a small website on your machine, put extra in /var.

This has the side benefit that it lets you add new disks relatively
painlessly as you go along. Also, the directory that most likely is going
to fill up and overflow a small disk is /var. You're not running a major
server; you don't need to partition strongly. You may not want to use
multiple partitions at all, although they can be useful.

Also, the twice as much swap as RAM rule of thumb, although it is observed
more often in the breach, is still a good rule of thumb.

4) You have extra space in the machine for root's use only, so a 100% full
disk isn't really a 100% full disk. If you are up to 100% and need to get
in to fix things up, log in on the console as root and rip stuff out.

marco

--
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 23:51:51 +0200

Ray wrote:

> =

> I'm finding something very odd on my SuSE 6.1 Linux system.  Every day
> that I log in, I lose another 2% of my root ( / ) directory!

One thing that can cause disk space to "disappear" in SuSE are logs.
System logs aren=B4t automatically deleted after some time, instead they
are saved in /var/logs. However this doesn=B4t take up so much space =

under normal conditions, I just noticed that large portions of space
disappeared because of exceptionally high logging activity.
In all cases it wouldn=B4t be a bad idea to look into your crontabs,
or isolate the space drain to a certain directory tree (some mail-
clients block large amounts of space because they don=B4t compress
mail folders for example, I also know of some cases where browsers
didn=B4t clean up their cache).
Good luck.

------------------------------

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .tar.bz2 file extensions
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 23:37:01 +0200

Wlmet wrote:
> =

> I was trying to unpack the kernel sources from the Slackware CDROM disk=
s.   I
> found them to have .tar.bz2 extensions.  What is this all about?

Files which have this file extension are archives packed with the tar
archiver which then have been compressed using the bzip2 compression
program. If the distribution you use doesn=B4t contain bzip2, you can
obtain it from <http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk/>.

------------------------------

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 WITHOUT SOUND !!!!!!!!!
Date: 8 Aug 1999 05:23:25 GMT

Scribbling furiously, Unknown managed to write....
: I CAN NOT FIND SOUND CONFIGURATION (no sound configuration in linuxconf)
: I HAVE NO SOUND
: in previous Redhat 5.2 I found sound configuration in some kinda utility and
: made it
: Unfortunately I don.t remember
: PLEASE HELP if somebody knows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(as root) sndconfig (in RH 6.0, anyhow).

--
Big Daddy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric The Half A Bee)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Curious and bizarre RH6 message
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 05:33:47 GMT

At some point on 07 Aug 1999 19:33:42 -0400,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock) put forth the
following:

>> Does anyone have ANY clue what was going on? (I`m not hooked to the
>> net through Linux, so it`s not like someone has hacked me.)
>
>Do you perhaps call the "fortune" program to print out a humorous
>message each time you log in?

Yes I do, but the system actually beeped at me. Maybe that was it...
God I feel stupid. I was the one that put it in the .bashrc file...
hehehe

Thanks... *blush*

--
Something catchy should go here

------------------------------

From: Jason Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: CDROM driver not supported in RH 6 install
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 23:36:39 -0600

If attempting to install from CD, is it an IDE cd-rom?  If so, do you have a BIOS
option to boot from CD-ROM?  If so, set it to boot from CD, put the CD in the
drive, and save your BIOS settings.  The CD will do the rest.

Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Hinz)
Subject: C structure size inconsitency
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 06:00:07 GMT

Compiling the following:
========================
#include <time.h>
#include <stdio.h>

struct Test0 {
 char X0[4];
 char X1[100];
 char X2;
 char X3[100];
 char X4[2];
 char X5;
 char X6;
} T0;

struct Test1 {
 time_t X0;
 char X1[100];
 char X2;
 char X3[100];
 char X4[2];
 char X5;
 char X6;
} T1;

struct Test2 {
 time_t X0;
 char X1;
 char X2;
 char X3;
 char X4;
 char X5;
 char X6;
} T2;

void main(void)
{
 fprintf(stderr,"%i, %i, %i, %i \n",sizeof(time_t), sizeof(T0), sizeof(T1),
                                    sizeof(T2));
}
=====================================

Running the compiled result, 'x', gives the following results:

  4, 209, 212, 12

I don't get it. It should have been

  4, 209, 209, 10

Can anyone explain this to me, please?
I first thougt it was some byte alignment, but that does not make sense
since the structs T0 and T1 should be exact the same size.

Running SUSE 6.0, PII266, gcc 2.7.2.3

'ldd x' gives:
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40007000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x2aaaa000)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Andreas Hinz

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: New @ Kernal Compiling - Have Error, Don't Know What To Do
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 02:08:08 -0400

> First off, I'm recompiling it because when I try to run mt PPP-ON
> script from the console, it says I don't have the PPP module compiled
> into my kernel (although I can connect to my ISP just fine within
> X)... So I followed the instructions in my RH5.2 manual on recompiling
> a kernel.

The ppp module is not compiled into the kernel. Look in
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/net. There you will see ppp.o. It's strange that
ppp-on complains about that.

> I went through 'make menuconfig' just fine and have everything setup
> correctly as far as I know, and I can run 'make dep | make clean' just
> fine.  But when I try to run 'make boot' it gives me an error when
> finished as follows:

make mrproper
make clean
make xconfig        (easier than menuconfig; don't forget to save
configuration to file so that you can reuse it later)
make dep; make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

> a /usr/src/linux-2.0.36/arch/i386/lib/lib.a -o vmlinux
> init/main.o(.data+0x138): undefined reference to sound_setup'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>
> =) I'm taking wild guess here, but I figure there's something wrong w/
> my sound..  But I just don't know what to look for.  Is there any
> other info I need to give so that someone may be able to help me w/
> this?

Before you compile
cd /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound
See if there's anything specific that pertains to your sound card. In
xconfig check
sound support (m)
oss (m)
your sound card support (m)
whatever midi driver you want (m) - but you can skip this for now and
come back to it later.

To see what an object file contains do a

nm -o file.o

For instance, if you do
cd /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc
nm -o * | grep sound_setup

you'll see that sound.o is the only one that contains "sound_setup". It
is this one that you must have forgotten to compile. You need to say (m)
to OSS sound modules in xconfig.
How do I know?

cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound
grep sound.o Makefile

You'll see a line
obj-$(CONFIG_SOUND_OSS)         += sound.o

which says that sound.o is added to the modules you compile if
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS is enabled.
Then I did
cd /usr/src/linux
grep CONFIG_SOUND_OSS .config

and I got
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m

which says that the OSS support is compiled as a module. I bet yours is
n.

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: /etc/bashrc file
Date: 07 Aug 1999 19:22:16 -0700

why lot write a .bash_logout file and  stick it in /etc/skel with
whatever perms you want on it?
-ckm

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 08:39:53 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: I think I have a convert IF....

Jeff Silverman wrote:

> I have a customer who has a laptop computer and I am trying and failing to install
>Windoze on it.
> I talked him into trying Linux on it ... IF... I can find a program which will run
>under Linux which
> will convert between HTML and MS-Word/97 DOC formats.
>
> SO.... does anybody know where I can find a program that will run under Linux that
>converts between
> HTML and MS-Word/97?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jeff

Staroffice reads and writes MS-Word files and can also produce HTML
output

Martijn
--
http://users.casema.net/~jkf