From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Audio CD's not playing
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 07:07:59 GMT

Nope that didn't work either, but thanks for the advise.

The audio CD 'spins up' for about a second then stops.

Any more ideas?

> Richard, I had this problem and this is what worked for me. Call up=20
> "gmix" and push the record buttons.  I don't know why, but I never
had=20
> another problem.  Hope it works for you.
> Ripster

Re: =

> Audio CD's not playing:
>
> > I've tried it as root and as an ordinary user, the same result.
I'ts a=
> > IDE drive but I'm using SCSI emulation.
>
> > The problem still persists, the drive will spin up for data CD's
but i=
> > won't for audio CD's.
> > The drive doesn't have a physical 'play' button so I can't even try
> > that.
>
> > Anyone else got any ideas?
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > console
> > the
>
> > not
> > >
> > > First I was going to say "cable from drive to sound card"--but you
> > > said that.  Darn.
> > >
> > > Then I was going to say "what kind of drive is it?"--you said
SCSI.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Cron behaves differently on Sundays?
Date: 3 Aug 2000 07:46:12 GMT

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:35:32 -0700, Carl Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Here's an odd one. I have many systems running RedHat 6.2 or 6.1.
>They all have the same entry in root's crontab:
>
>       0,15,30,45 * * * * /usr/sbin/sendmail -q
>
>The purpose of this is to clean out /var/spool/mqueue, because
>none of these systems run sendmail as a daemon (for security
>reasons).
>
>Six days of the week, this works fine. But on Sundays, from 00:00
>to 23:45, every occurrence of this command yields the following
>message in an e-mail to root:

I would suspect that comes from another cron entry.  Can't imagine
any other explanation.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: the qutation mark ""
Date: 3 Aug 2000 07:50:37 GMT

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:20:21 -0500,
          Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, alikbm quoth:
>
>$$ hi i am using mandrake 7.1 and from some reason i can't get gcc or g++
>$$ to compile the simplest command : printf("hello world");
>$$
>$$ the error is : parse error before character 0250
>$$
>$$ what is it and how do i cope with it?
>
>This is better suited to another NG perhaps, but if your code
>is short(read "20 lines or less"), post it, in its entirety.

No need to.  It is already multiposted.  The answer is stupidly simple
as given elsewhere.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Gordon Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: MP3's skip : How I solved it
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:11:46 -0400

Stewart Honsberger wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:44:52 -0400, Gordon Gilbert wrote:
> >>
> >> Attack #1.
> >
> >The fact that you can't even talk without talking DOWN to someone
> >demonstrates you're complete and total inability to deal with the
> >real world.  Apparently, you can't deal with the SLIGHTEST bit of
> >criticism without going berserk.
>
> I'm not the one attacking Linux because my system broke. Atleast when

Why do you insist I'm "attacking" Linux?  There are things I really
love about it and things I don't care for.  Sorry, but I don't have
to worship the OS.

> I break something that was clearly labelled as dangerous, I don't blame
> others. It's called taking responsibility for one's own actions.

Where did I blame anyone?

> Follow me here;
>
> You claimed that Linux does not support DMA or UDMA transfers on that
> particular controller judging from your own singular experience. As

I suppose it's not impossible that it might work, some way somehow,
possibly in a newer kernel or the like, but it isn't working for
me.  Whether I compile DMA into the kernel or turn it on via hdparm
is pointless if it doesn't work for me with my equipment.  If you
have a better idea of how to get it to work, I'd be glad to hear
it.  No, I didn't sync the hard disk first.  That was a mistake.
That might have prevented the corruption to the file system.  I
screwed up.  However, that doesn't change what already happened.  At
this point, I don't really care.  My system is working to my
satisfaction again and I didn't have to reinstall the system nor did
I lose any files.

> As are, apparently, the authors of hdparm who also told you to backup
> before you attempted to use it. You didn't listen then, and you won't

As a matter of fact, I did backup the files I spent hours
downloading (apps, utilities, etc.).  If I had to reinstall, a
couple of hours of reinstalling and reconfiguring would have gotten
me back where I left off.  That's still a pain in the butt, though,
especially when KDM and XDM were the only things not working right.

> listen now. You're being stubborn, and as a result you'll never learn
> better.

If you say so. I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on a few lines
of text.

> It was said to you. Your response was juvenile. Others tried to explain

That's your opinion. I think your entire response to me was
juvenile.

> >Not really.  If you're getting 3MB/sec when you should be getting
> >19MB/sec and want to get 19MB/sec, you do have to make a change or
> >you'll continue to get 3MB/sec.
>
> What drive capability did you say you were using? After your astronomical

I have two drives.  Linux is on a 1 year old Western Digital 10GB
Ultra33 drive (I'm guessing 3600RPM).  Win98 is on a 40GB 7200RPM
Maxtor Ultra66 drive.  I've benchmarked both under Windows recently.
I get ~12MB/sec sustained non-cached (except on the drive itself in
both cases) with the Western Digital drive and 30MB/sec sustained
non-cached on the Maxtor drive.  That's sustained.  I get 25MB/sec
bursts on the WD and 55MB/sec burst rate on the Maxtor.

Under Linux, with hdparm -c3, I get 6.5MB/sec transfers on the
Western Digital and 6.0MB/sec with the Maxtor (accessing the windows
partitions, as Linux is completely on the WD drive).  So, actually
it's not terrible performance with the WD drive considering its
slower performance, but clearly the capabilities of the Maxtor are
being wasted there.  Fortunately, I don't need to access it all that
often.

> posted figures, I thought you were talking about cached reads. Now it

No, I get 95MB/sec even under Linux with the hdparm -T option.

> appears as if you're talking about uncached data. In order to obtain 19
> MB/sec, you'd require Ultra-2-160 SCSI; something signifigantly more
> expensive than any ATA equipment I've ever priced.

Nope.  I'm afraid not.  The Maxtor speeds listed above used under
Win98 are uncached sustained transfer rates tested with HDTach
software.

> Ultra ATA66 should expect about 8.25MB/sec, while ULTRA ATA33 should

No, Ultra66 is capable of up to 66MB/sec sustained transfer rates
(controller).  My new Maxtor Ultra66 7200RPM drive is officially
rated at 43MB/sec maximum transfer sustained.  In practice on my
system, I'm getting 30MB/sec SUSTAINED reads in Win98.  Bursts are
55MB/sec and cached data off the bus is at 95MB/sec.

> expect about 4.125MB/sec.

I'm getting 6MB/sec sustained here in Linux with the Ultra33 (and a
slow one at that) drive.  In Win98, I'm getting 12MB/sec sustained.
I suggest you read up on hard drives, controllers, etc.  Clearly,
you were misinformed and/or are using a slow hard drive.

> >> Perhaps you should give up on Linux. It sounds to me as if you don't want
> >
> >You'd like that wouldn't you?
>
> It would increase the overall readability of this conference, yes.

I'm going to stop here.  The rest of your reply isn't worth spending
the time to respond to it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Meegan)
Subject: Good alternative to outlook.
Date: 3 Aug 2000 08:05:26 GMT

Is there a mail tool, commercial or non-comercial
which I can deal with outlook task or meeting messages
with IMAP for linux? I am trying to finally disgard
my NT4 partition, but this is the only thing that I
currently cannot use linux for.

------------------------------

From: Gordon Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Goosing the Mouse
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:19:03 -0400

"D. C. & M. V. Sessions" wrote:

> I hate mouse acceleration.  The nonlinearity throws me
> off every time.  What I really want is just a mouse with

I know what you mean. I find it tolerable at low settings, though.

> adjustable sensitivity, so that moderate mouse movements
> map to a full screen movement.
>
> Yeah, gpm can be set to report a multiplier, but that just
> means that you skip every other pixel or whatever.  What I
> want is a more sensitive mouse.  Rumor has it that some mice
> can actually be told to increase their sensitivity.

I'm using the latest Kensington scroll mouse (PS/2/USB) and adding a
line to my XF86Config file (Resolution=250) fixed me right up. :)  I
think the mouse actually feels a bit better in Linux than it does in
Win98 using their fancy Mousworks driver.  You can tweak the setting
to your liking.  I found higher settings made it too sensitive and
lower settings too slow.  Of course, your mouse might not like that
setting, but it's worth a try.

------------------------------

From: William McBrine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RFCs for file formats ?
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 08:21:02 GMT

A late reply, I know, but I didn't see any others on my server, so...

Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: With the huge number of file formats out there, I was wondering whether
: there is a registery of public file formats - ie those that you don't
: have to depend on company x for.

Check out: http://www.wotsit.org/

--
William McBrine    | http://www.clark.net/~wmcbrine/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Nader in 2000!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: changing the cursor from underline to block
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 04:30:18 -0400

On 3 Aug 2000 04:15:56 GMT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:22:03 -0400, B'ichela wrote:
>>      Because of my eyesight I am having a problem seeing the
>>underline cursor at times. How can I change it to a block cursor or at
>>least a taller underline?
>
>I assume this refers to console use, since every xterm clone I've seen
>has a block cursor.  Try echo -e '\033[?17;0;64c' ; that should give you
>a nonblinking red block.  You could also compile a kernel with framebuffer
>support, since the framebuffer console has a blinking white block for a
>cursor by default.  The escape sequence is like so:
        No good, did not work on my system. If it is any help I am
using Linux Kernal 2.0.37pre10 (thats what slackware 3.9 calls it). IF
it helps I DID see a patch to change the cursor for the 2.0.x kernals
on metalab. Does anyone know of this patch?

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: Gordon Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:35:25 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm having trouble playing audio CD's. The application (tcd in console
> , xmms in X) reads the correct number of tracks and the length of the
> track, however it will not play them, the time inside the app does not
> progress at all and the CD does not spin up.

I have a similar CDRW drive (HP 8210i).  My Toshiba DVD drive is not
mounted as an emulated SCSI device.  However, my HP CDRW drive is
(necessary for the Record capability).  I've gotten both to work
with audio CDs.  However, the DVD drive would not play them at
first.  It wouldn't even give the track numbers, etc., so quite
possibly it's not the same problem.  But it turned out I didn't have
read permission to the actual physical device (i.e. /dev/hdb).  Only
root had permission.  My CDRW drive worked because for some reason I
owned that device instead of root (well I didn't own /dev/hda, which
is the actual device, but I did own /dev/scd0, which was good
enough).  As soon as I set permission to be able to read the DVD
drive, the tracks instantly appeared and it worked fine.  In your
case, make sure /dev/scd0 has read permission available for you.
You can either add yourself to the group and make sure it has read
permission to the group or just set it so others can read it (chmod
o+r /dev/scd0).  And yes I could read data CDs, but not Audio ones
with the previous settings.

You might also want to try something like the KDE CD player or Grip
Ripper/CD player.  The version of Xmms that came with Mandrake 7.1
wouldn't play audio CDs period for me.  When I upgraded to the
latest version, it worked fine then (although there is a brief pause
between tracks, which can be annoying and doesn't happen in
stand-alone CD players like kscd).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 02:32:25 -0500
From: gLiTcH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Windows geek has some linux questions, please advise

a graphical version is caitoo although last time i used it it crashed a lot, it is
similar to getright

------------------------------

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Outlook 2000 and Sendmail and SMTP and Linux and POP3
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 05:53:12 -0400

You need to compile and install a pop3 daemon, and check /etc/inetd.conf
to see if your pop3 line is commented out... if it is, uncomment, save,
and restart inetd. qpopper is a decent pop3 client, and is available at
ftp.qualcomm.com

Hope this helps.

-SSB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:54:18 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
>Christopher Browne wrote:
>>
>> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:

>> >I will. I did have many of my work copyrighted (not computer related,
>> >but in arts.)
>>
>> You, as author, automatically have rights to copy the material as you
>> please.
>
>Yes. But still you have to file for copyrights before you can be legally
>protected under the law.
>
>Write to your local government printing office, get the booklet, it'll
>costs you a few dollars for the booklet on how to do it.

Automatic copyright protection has been in place in the United States
since January 1, 1978, before which time statutory copyright protection
required either:
  a) Publishing a work, or
  b) Registering it with the US Copyright Office
in order to have any protection under US law.

Under the present law, you only need to register the work before
initiating the lawsuit.  Thus, if someone rips off your Great Software
Work, it suffices to take a copy of the work over to the Copyright
Office before heading off to court.

The law already protects you, but you need to register before _going
to court_.

>> The critical point is that the GPL does not make any claim to apply to
>> the author.

>No. I'm *not* talking about GNU-GPL here.

The discussion was about the GPL, and its effects.

>> The way that the GPL _would_ apply to you would be if you transferred
>> exclusive copyright over to, let's say, the FSF.

>I'm talking about pure commercial work.

Fine.

>> <http://gcc.gnu.org/fsf-forms/assignment-instructions.html> describes
>> this process; while the default assignment _is_ of exclusive
>> copyright, the grantor has the right to get back a non-exclusive
>> copyright given written notice:
>>
>>    "Upon thirty days' prior written notice, the Foundation agrees to
>>     grant me non-exclusive rights to use the Work (i.e. my changes and
>>     enhancements, not the program which I enhanced) as I see fit; (and
>>     the Foundation's rights shall otherwise continue unchanged)."
>>
>> Note that the _as I see fit_ part is what specifically allows you to,
>> even after the assignment, do _whatever you want_ with the software,
>> except, of course, for taking back the copy rights that were assigned
>> to the FSF.
>
>I'm talking about pure commercial work, where I, as the creator and the
>copyrights owner, have the *absolute* sayings, in what can, and what not
>can be use with my work, and not without my specific permission, and/or
>additional payments to me.
>
>ANY changes *must* be approved by me before anything can be carry out.
>
>And any additional usage, regardless of media, or longer than the time
>frame, the geographical location, or even translated to a different
>language, as specified in the original contract, are all require
>additional payment.
>
>And any delay of payments are subjected to additional interests charges.
>
>Sorry. There's *no free beer or free lunch* in reality.

Again, who else said anything about there being a free lunch, aside
from yourself?  You're projecting some belief that you want to think
that others have.  Some _are_ foolish enough to believe that there
is such a thing as a "truly free lunch."  Reality is otherwise.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
"For systems, the analogue of a face-lift is to add to the control

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good alternative to outlook.
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 06:06:34 -0400

Netscape Mail