Linux-Misc Digest #502, Volume #21               Sun, 22 Aug 99 06:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Problem starting/booting with Mandrake ("William B. Cattell")
  Re: *nix vs. MS security
  Re: Cracks for Linux?^ (Bill Bonde)
  Re: Media key for staroffice 5.0 ("Donald E. Stidwell")
  Re: Soundcard gives PRRRRRRRRR, and I don't want that. (Jordi Backx)
  Re: HTML Apps: votes needed here! (Frank v Waveren)
  X-Windows freezing (muzh)
  Re: reading file on Win98 part. (Leonard Evens)
  Which distribution to use? ("Varma")
  Re: Internet access with ASDL (Yousuf Khan)
  Re: IDE CD Recording (Albert Ulmer)
  Re: Linux books, Is this a good deal? ("Ryan T. Rhea")
  Re: Kernel question- extra files in /boot ("Ryan T. Rhea")
  Re: Questions about Kpackage (SmokeSerpent)
  Can't mount Xenix drive on Linux system ("FYOM")
  Re: help: two bootup issues (Rob Lahaye)
  Re: Which distribution to use? ("Ryan T. Rhea")
  Re: Alert: AMD K6-2 350 Mhz processor ("Ryan T. Rhea")
  Re: shutdown&reboot for normal users??? (Oliver.Natt)
  Re: How to I remove Lilo ("Ryan T. Rhea")
  Kernel question- extra files in /boot (Warren Bell)
  some challenging security questions... ("Ryan T. Rhea")
  can only ftp myself? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem starting/booting with Mandrake
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 07:19:38 GMT

6135 wrote:

> After I power-cycle, the boot up code goes through
> all kinds of diagnostic-type tests, then says the
> following:
>
> /dev/hdb1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;
>         run fsck MANUALLY
>         (i.e. without -a or -p options) [FAILED]
>
> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** When you leave the shell, give root password for maintenance
>         (or type control-d for normal startup);
>
> Then, I type control-d and it just freezes.
>
> Any assistance would be greately appreciated.
>
> Scott

Sounds like the file system is not getting shutdown
properly.  I think this is a documented problem with
Mandrake 6.  First, boot up the system.  When you get the
message you listed above, type in the root password and get
to a shell prompt (#).  Type fsck.ext2 /dev/hdx where 'x' is
the number of your root linux partition.  In my case I would
type fsck.ext2 /dev/hda2.  that will clean up the file
system.  after it's done (you're back at the # prompt, type
reboot.  Hopefully the system will come back up normally.
Use the 'update' feature to get updates of Mandrake's
packages.  I know there's a package update for the init
scripts, lilo, networking and X.

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 01:31:04 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christopher
B. Browne wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:17:24 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>>Tell this instructor to pull Bill Gates' c*ck out of his ass and get a
>>clue.
>
>This is more-or-less exactly the *wrong* thing to do.

Yeah, I know.  Sorry, I guess I should have warned y'all..  Excuse my
rant :)

><yoda-voice>
>"Confrontation leads to anger...  Anger leads to fear...  Fear leads
>to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems...  And this is
>how the ancients fell...
></yoda-voice>
>
>>Microsoft OSes are buggy and crash-vulnerable, which makes them
>>very insecure.  Everyone knows that it takes months for M$ to patch
>>holes in their software.
>
>Describing things in such a "bull-in-the-china-shop" manner is just
>going to get the poor student a failing grade.
>
>After all, even if the instructor is a severe ignoramus, the
>instructor is still the authority responsible for giving out grades.

Yeah, I know. :)

------------------------------

From: Bill Bonde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Cracks for Linux?^
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:31:45 -0700

Bryan wrote:

> optimally, I'd pay the $20 IF I could get source.  ie, I don't mind at
> all paying for somone's effort, but when things break (and it appears
> they do, sometimes, with oss) then I want to be able to fix it.
>
> otoh, I understand that they CANNOT release source since they had to
> sign an NDA to get specs on some cards.  one card that I own and NEED
> drivers for is only NDA and even then, the oss guys aren't really on
> the ball about delivering high quality and FULL FUNCTIONAL drivers for
> it (the card is a sonorus studi/o - which has been claiming linux
> support for well over a year now, but still does not have multichannel
> i/o working).
>
> so I have mixed feelings about oss.  if they would do a complete job
> and in a timely manner, I'd support them.  but since their
> implementation for the card I need is far from complete, I'll hold
> onto my money.  vote with your dollars, I always say.

Vote with your dollars and don't buy sound cards and the like
from companies that refuse to release specs to people making
drivers. If this sort of information were freely available to
all, drivers and even new ideas for uses of hardware would be
made available.

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Media key for staroffice 5.0
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:42:31 GMT

John Badarte wrote:

> I am new to Linux.
>
> I installed suse 6.1 and was unable to install staroffice 5 because it kept
> asking me for some media key #.
>
> I gave up and then installed caldera 2.2. When i tried installing
> startofffice, it "again" asked for the media key #.
>
> Can someone help me? How and where do i get this media key #?
> Regards john

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

I can't speak to SuSE 6.1, but for COL 2.2 the media key is in the front cover
of the manual. It's a white sticker. You still need to register on SO's web
site - the media key is just for installation.

Don

------------------------------

From: Jordi Backx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundcard gives PRRRRRRRRR, and I don't want that.
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 09:11:10 +0200

"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:21:35 +0200, Jordi Backx
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >The problem is that since the card works I hear a constant resonant
> >sound coming from my speakers; a sort of soft 'prrrrr'.
> >It gets a bit louder when I move the mouse and when the harddisk is
> >working.
>
> Turn down the gain on your microphone input.  If that doesn't work, try your CD
> input and your line input.
>
> If you don't have adjustable gain on your card, just turn the microphone (or
> whatever input it turns out to be) down or off in the mixer.
>
> --
> Williamsport Area Computer Club <http://www.sunlink.net/wacc>
> Susquehanna Valley Amateur Astronomers
><http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2999/svaa.html>
> Personal Home Page <http://woodstock.csrlink.net/~jshaffer>

Thanks, it works. I like it when a problem has such a simple answer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Subject: Re: HTML Apps: votes needed here!
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:50:43 GMT

In article <wLLv3.591$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "TF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jonathan Wilson wrote in message ...
>>I'm new to Linux, and trying hard to leave Windows behind for good.
>
> good for you man.
>
> Also I like RPMs— I have a
>>hard time with tars still.
>
> tar -xvzf 'filename'     this should work fine for you.
>

> Red Hat is nice but check out slackware too...
Certainly, but personally I like to get rpm running on any distro I use.
rpm gives you a good chance at keeping everything tidy without having to
give up flexibility or code access.
--

                        Frank v Waveren
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-Windows freezing
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:51:22 +1200

Ever since I started playing around with Linux about 8 months ago I
have been plagued with random total freezes of my system -- ususally
while in X-windows, but sometimes also in the console.  Nothing would
respond, so the only answer was usually a hard reset, with the prospect
of severe damage to the file system.
   Questions to newsgroups and the mailing list usually elicited the
response that I had a hardware problem, and it was NOT the fault of
Linux.  Not very helpful for a newbie --
   Anyway, to cut a long story short, I cured the problem by changing
the addressing mode of hdc (my Linux disk) from LBA back to CHS.  This
of course increased the number of cylinders from 1465 to 23361, so I had
to make doubly sure my (now small) root partition was within the first
1024 cylinders.
   It worked a charm!!  Within a day, my opinion of Linux went from a
totally unreliable file-destroying "operating" system to a real steady
reliable alternative to others.
     YIPPEE!!!

muzh

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: reading file on Win98 part.
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 20:00:45 -0500

downtown wrote:

> I just downloaded the 2.2.11 kernel.  However I had to download it via
> Win98 because I have no Linux Internet connection yet.  How can I get to
> the Win98 partition through Linux to copy the file to a Linux partition?
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Tom Brown

If you don't already have a mount point for your windows
partition in your Linux / filesystem, create one as in
mkdir /win
Then put an entry of the following kind
  /dev/hda1         /win          vfat    defaults       0   0
in /etc/fstab.  (This assumes that Windows is on the /dev/hda1
partition).   Then
mount /win
will mount it.   You can also do it without using fstab if
you create a mount point and study the mount man page.
Then you can use the normal cp command.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Varma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which distribution to use?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 01:58:59 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.newbie

Hi All,
I want to install Linux on my Wintel m/c & I'm kind of confused by all these
distributions - Redhat, Caldera, Mandrake, ... How do I choose which one to
buy? Or is it better to simply download from the net for free?

The other question is about partitioning my harddrive. Most of the
distributions require a partition to be created. But I found that there is
this PhatLinux which can be directly launched from your C:\

Has anyone had any experiences in PhatLinux? If so, please send me an
email -> srv7(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Thanks for your help! (Hoping to have Linux installed in a couple of days
:-)

------------------------------

From: Yousuf Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet access with ASDL
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 07:15:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Shawn Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You're right in the fact that xDSL, in general, has slower download
rates then cable
> does.

Not necessarily always true. In my area (eastern Ontario, Canada), for
the longest time, the ADSL was well clear of cable in terms of both
speed and congestion problems. We had a 2.2Mbps download/1.1Mbps upload
ADSL system, while at the same time, the cable modems were only doing
500kbps up or down. Recently however, the trend has reversed, and the
same provider has downgraded their ADSL from 2.2/1.1Mbps to
1.0Mbps/128kbps, and the cable guys have upped their speeds from
500/500kbps to 3.0Mbps/500kbps.

      Yousuf Khan

From: Albert Ulmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE CD Recording
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:20:41 GMT

> I=B4ve got an IDE Cd Recorder which I need an appropriate software
> for. Unfortunately I was unable to find anything that works with IDE
> and not with SCSI recorders.

Almost all of the currently available IDE-CD-recorders support=20
SCSI-emulation. All you have to do is recompile your kernel with=20
SCSI-emulation support and without IDE-CDROM support.

Once you have recompiled the kernel this way, you should be able to=20
use practically any cd-writing software available for Linux. I like to=20
use XCDroast 0.96e, which has a nice GUI and works very well for my=20
purposes.

------------------------------

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux books, Is this a good deal?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 09:10:56 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This isn't a vailed attempt at advertising, I swear.
>
> Anyway, I got this flyer in the mail today from
> the Library of Computer & Information Sciences.
> (It's a book club).  They are offering a set of
> three Linux related books and CD's for $9.99.

> The titles:

> Red Hat Linux Unleashed.
> Linux Programing.
> C++ Unleashed.
> There are 5 CD's too, including Red Hat 5.2.
>
> First question: Are these books any good?
>

> SHould I jump at this?
>
> Second Question:  I was planning on installing Susi.
> Will the stuff in Linux Unleashed be applicable to
> SuSi as well as Red Hat?
>
> --
> Just my $0.02 worth.
> Hope this helps,
> Gordon
>
> Sure this is my real e-mail address.  Just try
> to get past my spam filters.
> There are minor children in this house.
> Any adult related spam will result in a
> complaint to applicable athorities.

Sounds kind of shady.  My 'shadar' is going off.  RedHat Linux Unleashed
is worth $40 alone.  Perhaps these are old editions (unrevised).  If
they are new editions and the software is recent then I would be
suprised.  I don't know though - trust your judgement.  If they are
asking you to send a check or something I would be careful.

The books are good anyway.  RedHat Linux Unleashed IS fairly specific to
RedHat - especially pertianing to many of the configuration tools.  It
is still a useful reference and wouldn't be totally wasted on a
different distribution.

Sincerely,
Ryan T. Rhea

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel question- extra files in /boot
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:57:22 +0000

Warren Bell wrote:

> I just upgraded my kernel by RPM packages.  I wasen't sure what I needed
> so I upgraded every kernel package available for that version number.
> When I was finished my /boot directory seems like it has more files than
> I can remember it had.  These are the files:
>
> System.map
> System.map-2.2.9-27mdk
> System.map-2.2.9-27mdkBOOT
> System.map-2.2.9-27mdkfb
> System.map-2.2.9-27mdksmp
> System.map-2.2.9-27mdksmp-fb
> boot.0800
> boot.b
> chain.b
> initrd-2.2.9-27mdk.img
> map
> module-info
> module-info-2.2.9-27mdk
> os2_d.b
> vmlinuz
> vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdk
> vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdkBOOT
> vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdkfb
> vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdksmp
> vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdksmp-fb
>
> What files are safe to remove?  I know it must have put in extra things
> I dont need.  I'm thinking I can remove everything ending in BOOT,fb,smp
> and smp-fb but I'm not sure.  Can anyone tell me what these are for?
>
> Thanks,
> Warren Bell

Warren,

Those extra files are there because you installed slight variations (for
ramdisks, floppy installations, etc.) of the same kernel when you
"upgraded".  If you don't know why you would need these, you can erase all
the variations:

System.map-2.2.9-27mdkBOOT
System.map-2.2.9-27mdkfb
System.map-2.2.9-27mdksmp
System.map-2.2.9-27mdksmp-fb

vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdkBOOT
vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdkfb
vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdksmp
vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdksmp-fb

The remaining (similar files) are for the common kernels you most likely
use:

System.map-2.2.9-27mdk
vmlinuz-2.2.9-27mdk
module-info-2.2.9-27mdk

And these are just symbolic links that point to the current kernel:

System.map
vmlinuz
module-info

The rest of the files are needed by any kernel.

Hope this helps,
Ryan T. Rhea

Subject: Re: Questions about Kpackage
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
From: SmokeSerpent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:30:39 -0700

"Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have just switched over to Mandrake 6.0 from Redhat 5.2.
>
>In the process, I am trying to get used to the KDE environment,
>especially in terms of using Kpackage instead of glint.
>
>It was simple in glint -- I had my installed packages all in a
>hierarchy, and I could query a directory containing a number of other
>packages, and it would only show me the ones that I didn't have
>installed.
>
>In playing around with Kpackage and reading the VERY limited
>documentation, I have not been able to figure out how to do the same
>sort of thing.
>
>I have set my Uninstalled package directory to my /Mandrake/RPMS and my
>/RedHat/RPMS directories on my CD-ROM.  However, I have no idea if this
>has any effect unless I actually uninstall something I currently have
>installed?  (if that is how it works?)
>
>I can of course use the Open command and look at a specific RPM, but
>that is not what I want to do -- there are hundreds of them there, and I
>need to be selective about what I am looking at.
>
>Is there a decent way to do what I am trying to do?  Please help!
>
>Please cc any replies to my email address if at all possible.

I don't think that any of the Xwindows package managers duplicate this
(essential, IMHO)  facility of glint.
=20
--=20

From: "FYOM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Can't mount Xenix drive on Linux system
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:44:08 -0400

Hi!

I am trying to mount an IDE hard drive that is set up with Xenix 2.3.4 on my
Redhat 6.0 computer.

I can see using 'lsmod' that 'sysv' module is loaded.

The drive is the second drive with the partition 'hdb4'

when I type the following commmand:

'mount -t sysv /dev/hdb4 /mnt/data'

I get the following error message:

VFS:Unable to read Xenix/SystemV/Coherent superblock on device 03:44
Mount: bad fs type, bad option, bad superblock on device hdb4
or too many mounted file systems.

What could be causing this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Fran

comp.os.linux.misc;comp.os.linux.setup

------------------------------

From: Rob Lahaye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: help: two bootup issues
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:40:27 +0900

I dont' know about your [2] problem.

I'm not at all a Sendmail expert. I only reply, because I had similar
problems as you mention in [1].

I believed it to be related to either an improper setting of your internet
connection (IP number, gateway, netmask...), or the dns server is
(temporarily) not working.
I would recommend: first double check your internet settings with linuxconf
and next add your hostname to /etc/hosts so that dns is not required for
resolving your hostname through dns (I suppose your host.conf will first
check the /etc/hosts file, before doing anything else).

I hope this will help.

-R-

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.newbie
Subject: Re: Which distribution to use?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 09:33:10 +0000

Varma wrote:

> Hi All,
> I want to install Linux on my Wintel m/c & I'm kind of confused by all these
> distributions - Redhat, Caldera, Mandrake, ... How do I choose which one to
> buy? Or is it better to simply download from the net for free?

The idea is to determine which one is the best for you.   If you have a
fiber-optic connection and way too much time, you can download all (100+) of
them and try them all, one at a time.  Or you could try some of the well known
ones by shelling out $2 for the CD's offered by online stores like
http://www.linuxmall.com.

> The other question is about partitioning my harddrive. Most of the
> distributions require a partition to be created. But I found that there is
> this PhatLinux which can be directly launched from your C:\

Most linux distributions offer this.  You will sacrifice system performance for
this convenience.

> Has anyone had any experiences in PhatLinux? If so, please send me an
> email -> srv7(at)hotmail(dot)com.
>
> Thanks for your help! (Hoping to have Linux installed in a couple of days
> :-)

If you really want someone to tell you which one to use... I will tell you
Mandrake.  It is easy to install (Caldera is easier if you are really afraid)
and is basically just RedHat with some additions for ease of use and hacks for
tighter security out of the box.  (Note that I will probablly get flamed for
voicing my opinion on the matter - it is practically a religous topic).

Ryan T. Rhea

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general,comp.os.linux.x,redhat.x.general
Subject: Re: Alert: AMD K6-2 350 Mhz processor
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 09:16:22 +0000

Rob Mason wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced a system freeze with this processor on RH6.0
> ???
>
> Since upgrading my machine I have been trying to fathom problems where
> my system locks up - no error message, nothing.  This usually occurs
> during X sessions when I'm performing a large disk operation (copying a
> 70 Meg file).
>
> I've seen other similar reports, and this processor seems to be the
> common factor.
>
> Can anyone confirm this ?
>
>  - Rob
> (remove spam deterrent from E-Mail address)

I have seen across many processor updates - none specific to the K6-2 350.
Since you just upgraded, I am willing to bet one of two things are the
culprit.  One, perhaps the clock speed/voltage on your motherboard is
incorrect (overclocked?).  Two, your CPU is overheating.  Did you install a
new fan or use the old?   Perhaps a heatsink and a cooling compound would
help.  Just some suggestions.

Ryan T. Rhea

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oliver.Natt)
Subject: Re: shutdown&reboot for normal users???
Date: 22 Aug 1999 09:47:44 +0200

"Duy D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> demon wrote:
>
> > How can I make it possible to let normal users use the shutdown&reboot
> > command??

or make halt suid root, i.e.

      chmod ugo+s /sbin/halt

and make two symlinks (called reboot and shutdown) somewhere in your path
to halt:

      ln -s /sbin/halt /usr/local/bin/shutdown
      ln -s /sbin/halt /usr/local/bin/reboot

I am _NOT_ sure if there are any security related arguments against making
/sbin/halt suid root.

------------------------------

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.help,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: How to I remove Lilo
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 09:01:48 +0000

BD wrote:

> I recently installed linux 5.2 and installed lilo.  Well today I booted
> up my computer and linux partition and everything else (bar my C: drive
> for windoze) was gone.
> So now im stuck with lilo at bootup. How do I delete it?

Your crossposting is obnoxious.  Furthermore, this question gets asked at
least once a week.  Try http://www.dejanews.com

Ryan T. Rhea

From: "Ryan T. Rhea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: some challenging security questions...
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:19:10 +0000

I am running a machine that is shared among several users.  The only
network connection is an outbound dial-up ppp connection for standard
internet access (usually for ftp and www only).   I have Manrake 6.0
installed with a custom 2.2.10 kernel.

I do not want any outside (non-local) users to have access to the
machine under any circumstances.   I realize
the chances of this are slim anyway because the machine isn't always
connected and the ip address is dynamic.  However, the tightest security
possible is my goal.  I have commented out everything in
/etc/inetd.conf.  The only services I have left running (according to a
portscan) are 'SunRPC' and 'lpd'.

First of all, do I have any need for SunRPC on this non-networked
machine?  If so, how can I be sure that it is
secure enough to be left up?

Next,  how do I configure the lpd to only accept requests from the
localhost?

Finally, how can I determine which files really need the suid (4000)
set?  I have made a list of all such files with
'find / * -perm -4000 > suids.list'.  There are 47 of them, and I don't
know what all of them do, much less which ones must have the suid set.

Any tips or pointers to more information would be helpful here.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan T. Rhea

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: can only ftp myself?
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 05:55:13 -0400

Hello.

I've misconfigured something that used to work ok. (I'm going to swear off
using netcfg!!!)

When I log on PPP onto the network from my laptop and try to do an ftp to
my desktop, it somehow only sees the laptop. Somewhere I must have told
the laptop it has the same identity as my desktop.

I'm looking in /etc/hosts and /etc/host-conf for this foolishness but they
_seem_ in order. For instance, /etc/hosts even points to the ip address
and network name of my desktop machine.

Other internet access seems to work alright as far as I've tested it. (I'm
tired now so I'm not going to mess around anymore before I get any
'bright' ideas.)

Where else is it getting this idea from?

      Felmon John Davis