Linux-Misc Digest #502, Volume #26                Sat, 9 Dec 00 16:13:04 EST

Contents:
  COREL detected my Winmodem! But... (Andrew Purugganan)
  Where's DEbian's rc.local? (Andrew Purugganan)
  Can't build DDD ("Generic User")
  Re: Can't use RealPlayer (E J)
  Re: Kernel for 4Mb RAM 386 (The Phoenix)
  Re: MySql is Unstable (Dances With Crows)
  Recommend TEXT (not X) based visual FTP client (Alex Barylo)
  xterm and aliases (Timo Benk)
  Re: xterm and aliases (Bit Twister)
  Re: Activating the Multimedia keys (Andreas Mohr)
  How to get user input in a startup script? ("Scott M. Navarre")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for  (Valentin
Guillen)
  How to get user input in a startup script? ("Scott M. Navarre")
  Re: xterm and aliases (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
(Anita Lewis)
  Re: Recommend TEXT (not X) based visual FTP client (Sinner from the Prairy)
  Re: nsform* ("Garry Knight")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("Garry Knight")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: COREL detected my Winmodem! But...
Date: 9 Dec 2000 17:58:32 GMT

COREL Linux was able to detect my PCtel Winmodem, but I can only use the
Connection Wizrd to connect (hmmm, looks like another OS to me :-)
Where does it keep the settings though? I want to be able to use the
modem for telnet/serial connections but I can't find out what these are
(COM port, etc)
WHen I try the dial up dialog (a different utility) and I go thru each
ttyS0, ttyS1, etc it's either busy or doesn't respond. Any clue?

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Where's DEbian's rc.local?
Date: 9 Dec 2000 18:01:27 GMT

I came from RedHat/Mandrake Linux, and now I want to get familiar with
Debian-style distros. RedHat has an rc.local where I can enter my custom
boot thingies (ifconfig, alias for modules, etc). WHere can one put these
things?
BTW it's COREL Linux on a 2.2.16 kernel, ITH

From: "Generic User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't build DDD
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:28:54 GMT

I'm trying to compile the DDD source and during the configure stage, I get
a  "Can't find -lX11 library, try using -x-include-include=DIR
and -x-include-libraries=DIR"
(or something of sorts) error. I see the libX11.so.* library in my
/usr/X11R6 directory
so I did as suggested and did a
./configure -x-include-libraries=/usr/X11R6/libraries
to no avail. Any ideas?

-chris

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't use RealPlayer
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:25:29 GMT

You could have put realplayer 7 beta anywhere.  I had my old realplayer 7 beta in
/usr/local/realplay.

$su -
password: <secret>
# cd /usr/local
# rm -r realplay # remove realplayer 7 beta stuff

Is the current realplayer 7 installed
You might want to check your netscape
Edit->Preference->Navigator->Application
Have all the Real Player entries point to the current Real Player 7.
Help->About Plug ins
Do you have the old realplayer 7 beta plug in?  If so, Replace it with the current
Real Player 7
plugin.

$ vi $HOME/.mailcap # edit your netscape

------------------------------

From: The Phoenix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel for 4Mb RAM 386
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 18:27:06 -0100

Andreas Schweitzer wrote:

> >> But your problem also sounds like there is too much other stuff
> >> running. Try cutting down dameons etc. There are comments on that
> >> in the Small-Memory HOWTO above.
> >>

> >  Yes I have already red all that HOWTO's but deamons and
> > other programs are not the problem, the kernel is.
>
> Thes sizes of 600kB and ~450kB you mentioned. Are these the
> bzImages or the uncompressed images ? If it is the bzImage,
> then this will of course expand too much.
> BTW, try compiling an uncompressed image (simply make - without
> zImage or bzImage - will put a vmlinux some place).
> This will safe you another little piece of code.

Yes, all sizes mentioned are bzImage sizes.

> And one more thing : there was once a patch that would enable
> to tell the kernel directly the swap device, so it would not
> have to wait until the init process turns on swap.

That is irrelevant

> Generally, I would try to get a version as old
> as feasable to run on a low end machine. The newer the
> kernel version that larger the kernel tends to get.

Have you red my post ?!?? I want a 2.2 kernel for my 386 and I have 2.0
kernels that run fine.

> But I guess, that's all I have ;-)
>
> Andreas
>
> P.S.: try to format your lines to ~72 columns, it's hard
> to read.

The post is now ok.

The Phoenix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: MySql is Unstable
Date: 9 Dec 2000 19:32:23 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:04:42 -0600, Kim Houlne staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>We are in the process of redesigning a couple of database programs on
>our website.  We use the Linux platform.  One the the programmers that
>we received a bid from states " that when using MySql on Linux it is
>slow and changes are hard to make.  We can make it work by hardcoding,
>but it is not scalable.  Also MySql is not set up to be a business level
>database.
>
>How valid do you think this statement is?  And, if it is not valid can
>you tell me why?

This question, or something like it, comes up periodically.  There was a
large amount of argle-bargle on Slashdot within the last 2 months about
MySQL; go there and run a search on "MySQL" to bring up at least one
article with hundreds of comments about the relative performance of
MySQL and various other database engines.

MySQL is probably best in an environment where most queries involve
reading data instead of updating/inserting data.  If this isn't the
case, you can look at Postgres or spend money on Oracle.  The setup
procedure for Oracle on Linux is a royal pain in the arse, but it seems
to run fast and solid once it's in there.  Haven't played with Postgres
at all yet.

FWIW, Slashdot gets an obscene amount of traffic, and it uses MySQL as
the backend.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Alex Barylo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.misc
Subject: Recommend TEXT (not X) based visual FTP client
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:27:13 GMT

Hi all,

I need a text (not X) based visual FTP client, something like Midnight
Commander but stripped down, without the ability to run external
commands.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greately appreciated.

Thank you,
Alex.
--
Before the accident, I could not even spell UNIX

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timo Benk)
Subject: xterm and aliases
Date: 9 Dec 2000 19:42:04 GMT

Hi,

Where can I set an alias for an xterm?
The aliases which i defined in my .bash_profile as well as in .alias does
not work in an xterm :-(

-timo

--

    .-'~~~-.
   .'o oOOOo`.      | Timo Benk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: xterm and aliases
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:47:29 GMT

All     /etc/profile            Environment settings
All     /etc/bashrc             for alias and functions

User    ~/.bash_profile         Environment settings
User    ~/.bashrc               for alias and functions

------------------------------

From: Andreas Mohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Activating the Multimedia keys
Date: 9 Dec 2000 19:55:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Istvan Zsolt Kovacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!

> I have a multimedia keyboard (microsoft internetlike/clone) with:
> Sleep,Suspend, WWW, MsDos, MyDoc,Menu and the Play/Stop/Ffwd
> etc buttons. There are also 2 additional LEDs.

> Does anybody know how to activate these keys in Linux? I'm using kernel
> 2.2-15 with RH6.0 and XFree86 4.0.1.

> These keys DO NOT generate any scancodes (checked with showkeys and xev)!
They DO GENERATE scancodes. (at least for my Logitech Cordless)
You didn't use showkey -s, right ?

> I know the scancodes it supposed to generate
> (http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/personalpages/aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes.html)
> and I  know how to map them under XFree86 4.0.1
> but so far I didn't find a patch (kernel,keyboard driver) to activate the
> keys.

Linux console support is very poor for extended keyboards.
The only thing to do for launching certain services via keypress is:
you can map the kbrequest feature in /etc/inittab to a *single* (!)
key. Only one key, as init uses one signal to detect this.
One would have thought that they use a "callback ioctl()" in case init
receives the kbrequest's signal in order to query back from the kernel
*which* key got pressed.
But no, they chose to use this signal for only one key.
@#$%%#^& !
(well, maybe they couldn't do it in a different way)

OTOH, X support is probably much better (it can't be much worse ;),
but I didn't mess with it too much.

Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to get user input in a startup script?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:16:56 GMT

  I have two servers (a primary and a backup) which share a RAID array
between them, and so I do not want each server to mount that RAID filesystem
automatically (definitely not a good thing to have the same filesystem
mounted by two seperate servers at the same time).
  I have modified my /etc/fstab file to use "defaults,noauto" to prevent it
from automatically being mounted.  But now I would like to add a section to
my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (right after the 'mount -a' command already in
there) to ask the user if they would like to mount the RAID, before
continuing with startup.

  I have tried using the '#!/bash/sh' method of 'echo'ing the question and
using 'read' to get the users response.
But after the user enters the input (in this case 'n'), it gives the error:
/etc/rc.sysinit: [n: command not found

  So, how do you get user input in the '#!/bin/sh' format that the startup
script uses?

Thanks,
  Scott Navarre

------------------------------

From: Valentin Guillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:18:32 GMT

Jon,

If you are fully prepared to restore the hard drive to original
condition, you will require a copy of either Windoz or DOS command
called debug.exe

On a windows box, this file is usually at c:\windows\command   and on
DOS boxes it's usually where the rest of the DOS files are at.  You'll
boot your computer usually from a boot diskette onto which you've copied
the debug.exe file.  At the a: prompt you'll follow the following script
file which consists of a few lines:

http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/hdclear.htm

This tiny utility allows you to access the hidden sectors (partition
sector) of the hard drive and thus clear it out manually.  Write back if
you require further guidance on using the script.

Remember that this will nuke ALL data currently on the hard drive.  Use
with caution.....:-)

Regards,

Valentin

--
"We are confident that the integrity of our source code remains secure.
 There is no evidence that any source code has been modified or

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Dec 2000 11:21:23 -0900

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timo Benk) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Where can I set an alias for an xterm?
>The aliases which i defined in my .bash_profile as well as in .alias does
>not work in an xterm :-(

You need to review the man page for bash, in the section on
invocation.  Note that an alias in not exported to a sub-shell,
and hence it must be in an init file that is read by the shell
where you want to use it.

Basically, bash read init files in this manner (though
apparantly there are some system specific variations that exit
with some distributions, e.g. an /etc/bashrc file may be read on
some distributions):

    All login shells:

        Read the file /etc/profile and then look for the first
        of ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, or ~/.profile in that
        order.

    All non-login interactive shells:

        Read the file ~/.bashrc only.

    All non-login non-interactive shells:

        Read a file defined by the variable BASH_ENV only.

Without going into all of the reasons why or the details of
other just as useful plans, one way to set up a system is to
have /etc/profile provide an absolute minimal environment just
sufficient to be functional.

Then each user can customize that environment by putting
terminal configuration, PATH, and BASH_ENV definitions (all of
which need to be done only one time per login) into
~/.bash_profile (or ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile).

Commonly the BASH_ENV variable is set to ~/.bashrc so that both
interactive and non-interactive sub-shells all have the same
environment.

Then all aliases are defined in ~/.bashrc and become available
to all shells.  Note that environment variables and functions
could be placed into either ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc because
they will be exported to sub-shells, unlike an alias definition

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows
again?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:29:03 GMT

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:44:49 -0600, misterbooboo wrote:
>I have a 6GB HD split half for RH7 and half for Win95.
>
>I want to rid myself of Linux and rededicate the entire HD to Win95.
>
>How do I do this?
>
>Win's fdisk will not get me there as far as I can tell.
>
>Specifics appreciated.

Boot into linux and login as root.
/sbin/lilo -u (that will put the mbr back like it was when you started)
fdisk /dev/hda (or whatever drive it is)
p (look at the table)
d (followed by the number of the last partition you want to get rid of)
repeat last command until all is gone except the windows partition
p (look to make sure it's all gone)
w (write the new table)
/sbin/shutdown -r (you will boot into windows and not see lilo or linux
until your next install

Then you'll have to either do dos fdisk and make a second partition for
windows, or if you want it all on one partition, you will have to reinstall
windows after doing fdisk to make one partition.  I'd just make a second
partition, make it LBA and then you have C: and D:

Anita

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: Recommend TEXT (not X) based visual FTP client
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 15:44:23 +0000

Alex Barylo wrote:

> Hi all,

> I need a text (not X) based visual FTP client, something like Midnight
> Commander but stripped down, without the ability to run external
> commands.

> Any ideas/suggestions will be greately appreciated.

Did you ever tried 'wget' or 'ftp'?

They work great!

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nsform*
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:57:26 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Christian Wenz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i recognise a couple of files under ~/tmp called nsform3A2E660D04601DA
> for example. these files contains same information about mails i got:
[snip]
> could anybody tell me which program produce these files ???

I'd stab a guess at Netscape.

--
Garry Knight

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:57:26 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "misterbooboo"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a 6GB HD split half for RH7 and half for Win95.
> I want to rid myself of Linux and rededicate the entire HD to Win95.
> How do I do this?
> Win's fdisk will not get me there as far as I can tell.

Go to http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/ and download Ranish
Partition Manager. It comes with a readme file that is easy to
understand. Use Ranish to change the partition type of your Linux
partition(s) to be the same as your Windows partition (FAT or VFAT).
Then use it to format just those partitions.

Now delete each of those partitions starting with the last and
working your way back to the second partition, but obviously don't
delete your Windows partition. When you've deleted the last partition
that you formatted, you'll be left with one partition on the disk with
your original Windows installation intact.

If you had more than one Windows partition to start with, you obviously
need to take this into account when reformatting and deleting your
Linux partitions.

[FU set to the group I read]

--
Garry Knight