Linux-Misc Digest #502, Volume #24               Wed, 17 May 00 13:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: /opt verus /usr/local (Bob Tennent)
  Re: STAROFFICE HELP... (Praedor Tempus)
  Re: WWW: Updated TOC and free Kernel-docs on KernelBook (Suzanne Lemeiux)
  Re: Burning a Redhat 6.2 CD (JEDIDIAH)
  swap-free error message??? what is this? (David Taylor)
  Re: WYSIWYG web page generator (John Wingate)
  Re: How can I add more swap? (David Bell)
  Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues! (David Oh)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (JEDIDIAH)
  Re: WYSIWYG web page generator ("Max Roeleveld")
  Re: WYSIWYG web page generator (JEDIDIAH)
  GLIB 1.2.7 and GTK (Dieter Kedrowitsch)
  Help!:  Root password messed up (David Bell)
  Calendar? (Fyre)
  Re: 2.3 Kernel memory problems (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Why .bashrc not take effect? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: gcc problem (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (eyez)
  CD hiccups when playing MP3s (Andrei Zmievski)
  Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues! ("Steve Cox")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: /opt verus /usr/local
Date: 17 May 2000 16:08:18 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 15:41:39 GMT, Blake LeBaron wrote:
 >I'm a new linux user, and I'm confused on one aspect of it.  Where is
 >the the appropriate place to put installed software packages?  I see
 >some want to go to /opt, and others prefer /usr/local.  What is the
 >current standard for this?

I suggest using /opt for packages that insist on being kept together
under a directory.  This is usually the case for commercial packages
such as WordPerfect.  Use /usr/local for packages that distribute
themselves into standard sub-directories such as bin, lib, man, etc, src,
include, and so on.  But "whole" packages can go under /usr/local as well.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: STAROFFICE HELP...
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:09:15 -0600

Charles Philip Chan wrote:

>     > Hi guys...  Is there a way to start individual Star Office
>     > programs without going through the Star Office desktop...  I
>     > would like to have a link to Star Writer on my KDE desktop...
>     > I'd like the link to open Star Writer only, not the Star Office
>     > desktop, which is starting by default on my machine...!!!
>     > Thanks...
>
> Unfortunately, no :-(, everything have to be started from the
> desktop. The desktop is one of the most controversial thing about Star
> Office and have generated many heated debates. This is also the main
> reason why I dumped Star Office.

I still use it but, damn, I HATE that freakin' desktop.  If I selected
the desktop integration setting dealie so it became my full desktop,
then
that is one thing, but I don't and never will.  If I don't then it
should
dump that damn start button crap and just be the office suite.  This is
a suggestion I have passed to Sun (they even replied to my previous bug
report regarding a problem with spreadsheets and charts so they can be
responsive).

praedor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:24:13 -0400
From: Suzanne Lemeiux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WWW: Updated TOC and free Kernel-docs on KernelBook

Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

You guys are doing great things.....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Subject: Re: Burning a Redhat 6.2 CD
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:26:05 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 06:50:29 -0400, Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Eusebio Garate wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there anything special I have to do to burn a Redhat 6.2 CD that I
>> can use to either install or update existing versions of Redhat? I ask
>> because, after reading the Redhat CD mini-howto, I downloaded all the
>> necessary files from a Redhat mirror site and burned a CD. However when
>> I tried to install 6.2 or update an existing version of Redhat I got an
>> error message that said: 'exec: no such file or directory' and the
>> install/update terminated. -- Also, I used the latest updated boot image
>> from Redhat's website.
>>

>I'd just go to www.cheapbytes.com and by the RH6.2 CD set for about $5.
>It has everything you need, including bootable CD installer/upgrade.
>The time you spend trying to download and arrange/burn the right CDs is
>certainly worth at least $5.

        If you have a fast connection, burning your own cd really isn't
        all that much trouble. The options for cdrecord aren't that
        complicated and the image itself is pretty much ready to go for
        you... shake-n-bake.

        The trickiest bit is setting up the burner for the first time.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: David Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: swap-free error message??? what is this?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:20:31 +0100

Came in in the morning and found this on the linux server:
swap-free: swap-space map bad entry...  this was followed by what I
presume to be sector references which were just constantly scrolled up
the screen as they changed.
What exactly does this mean??
is there a way in linux to perform a physical scan of the swap-space
partition?????

------------------------------

From: John Wingate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG web page generator
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:04:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Sam E. Trenholme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I remember when the big Linux discussion was whether end-user secratarys
> could use TeX to edit documents.  This was in the days before they did the
> original Caldera port of WordPerfect 6 to Linux.  While the usenet posters
> were acting like idiots, saying "But, of course, Ms. End secratary can use
> TeX", the people at Caldera were making sure that Word Perfect was getting
> ported to Linux.

Where I used to work, our secretary demanded, and got, a Sun workstation[1]
hooked to our network so she could use TeX for papers and reports, and
interact easily with the technical staff.  She became quite proficient.

[1] A Sun 3/50 (this was in the late eighties).

--
John Wingate                              If there is a God he must have
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     an odd sense of humour.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Bell)
Subject: Re: How can I add more swap?
Date: 17 May 2000 16:28:22 GMT

>First make sure the partition type is set to "linux swap" using fdisk or
>maybe
>partition magic(?) and then do "mkswap /dev/hdxn" where "xn" is the
>appropriate
>partition name(be careful here!) and then add a line to your /etc/fstab
>such
>as "/dev/hdxn swap swap defaults 0 0" and finally type "swapon -a" to
>enable it.

Partition magic reported it to be swap.  How can I check with fdisk?  Thanks!

=========================
David Bell - Otherwise known as DB7654321

Remember to remove nospam, notrash or anything odd looking from my email
address. :)

------------------------------

From: David Oh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues!
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:30:11 GMT

Steve,
Thanks for all the help.

I did try pinging a second computer attached to eth1 as 96.34.213.129
received "network unreachable".  I looked at my LAN dongle off my laptop
and realized it wasn't on.  I'm assuming I have to set up my laptop
differently (other than assign it an IP of 96.34.213.129) for the
connection between my Linux box and Windows laptop to open.

> Disable the internal network 'eth0', restart the networking and see if it
> still fails. You can disable with linuxconf, netcfg or edit the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ipcfg-eth0 file.

I'll try this one in the meantime.

> Finally, try reconfiguring the NIC's the 'other way around' just to make
> sure the card is OK - or use various diagnostic tools that would have
come

I have already tried this and both NICs appear to be fine.

Dave

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:30:31 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 09:12:05 +0200, Richard Gill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>U can think about a New WindowManager, with a good interface, and toolkit
>independant, but with possibly rely to Gnome component (I mean bonobo for
>example). I'm already beginning on that project (alone for the moment, and
>only on paper) so we could help together ;-)

        Nah, high performance open source multimedia codecs would be far
        more useful. Plus, everyone and their brother is already trying
        to manage a better mousetrap... er Window Manager or File Mangler.
        Plus there's really no relative benefit to a University taking on
        such a project versus something else which may involve remarkably
        complicated algorithms.

        A Sorenson replacement would be good, as would an efficient mpeg2
        implementation. A new 3D API modeled around current consumer
        graphics hardware might also be quite useful.

From: "Max Roeleveld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:35:21 +0200

> I thought a command line fool was one who is helpless without a mouse.

mouse? whazzat? =]

MaX (tappity tap)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:33:29 GMT

On 17 May 2000 14:13:54 GMT, Ron Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown) stated with conviction:
>
>> In article <65xT4.5633$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Patrick wrote:
>> >Linux people don't believe in WYSIWYG!  They are a bunch of command line
>> >fools.  I however like how Frontpage does that automatic navigation buttons
>> >but I really don't like Frontpage.  Is there anything else that does they
>> >navigation stuff?
>
>> Are you really seeking information from "a bunch of command line fools"?
>> ....or simply trolling...
>
>I thought a command line fool was one who is helpless without a mouse.

In Linux, a mouse is great for cut-paste on the command line actually...

'-pp

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Kedrowitsch)
Subject: GLIB 1.2.7 and GTK
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:34:06 GMT

Hello, I've been trying to install GTK+ 1.2.7, but when I run ./configure
in the directory I extracted the gtk+-1.2.7.tar.gz file too I get the
following error:

checking for glib-config... /usr/local/bin/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.7...
*** 'glib-config --version' returned 1.2.7, but GLIB (1.2.6)
*** was found! If glib-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLIB. You may also be able to fix the
error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If glib-config was wrong, set the environment variable GLIB_CONFIG
*** to point to the correct copy of glib-config, and remove the file
config.cache
*** before re-running configure
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.7 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

As far as I can tell, when I installed GLIB 1.2.7 everything went well.
Can anyone recommend where I should go from here to remove the old 1.2.6
version of GLIB?  The reason I'm doing all of this is to get XMMS to
install...

Thanks all!!

BTW: I'm using RedHat Linux 6.2

--
Dieter Kedrowitsch
NuNet Inc. Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Bell)
Subject: Help!:  Root password messed up
Date: 17 May 2000 16:43:19 GMT

Hello, I'm unable to login as root, here's how this happened:  I was trying to
get a better X resolution with Xconfigurator, and when it tested the settings,
the screen went black and didn't return.  So I rebooted, but of course the
graphical login wasn't working now...  I rebooted again, this time typing Linux
1 at the Lilo prompt to get into single user mode.  I used su to gain root
access, and ran Xconfiguator to get back to my old settings, but it didn't
work, and gave me an error message.  Then I edited /etc/inittab to login at the
console and rebooted.

The real problem (that last part was just some background I thought *might* be
helpful*):

Now, I can't login as root from the console, but I can su from a normal user
account.  After I'm in using su, I tried changing to root password and it
looked like everything worked...  I exit back to the login and try root:  Still
doesn't work!  So I logged in as a normal user and used su, it worked.  Without
thinking, I cleared the root password entry in /etc/passwd --   Maybe I thought
it'd reset the password?  Now I'm stuck... I can still use single user mode I
guess.  I've got another machine running RH 6.1, could I copy the /etc/passwd
on to the other machine?  I'm out of ideas.  Please help!  TIA

=========================

From: Fyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Calendar?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 03:03:45 -0400

Hello all,
Does anyone know where I could find a text based calendar program for
Linux like the one that comes with SunOS or BSD? I searched freshmeat
and RH's RPM page but all I could find were web or X based ones.

Thank you,
Lloyd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: 2.3 Kernel memory problems
Date: 17 May 2000 12:46:01 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gabriel Klyber wrote:
> Then, I noticed that when I run several apps, it crawled to a halt with
> kswapd eating up the processor.

This is a known problem with recent development kernels.  You can read the
linux-kernel or linux-MM mailing lists to see what kind of progress has
been made:

http://www.kernelnotes.org/lnxlists/linux-kernel/
http://humbolt.geo.uu.nl/Linux-MM/linux-mm.html

> I noticed in top
> that the shared memory field was 0kb whereas in 2.2 it was usually
> around 30-50 MB.

This is an separate phenonemon.  I think that it just means that the
kernel is not bothering to add up the shared memory and report it to you.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Why .bashrc not take effect?
Date: 17 May 2000 12:48:52 -0500

In article <8fu6na$20q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> However, every time when I login, my .bashrc seems takes no effect at
> all.  The mod of .bashrc is 644, same as others.  As a result, I have to
> issue a 'source' command manually after each login :(.

A bash login shell uses a file like .bash_login, but not .bashrc.  See the
bash(1) man page to learn about the rather complicated list of startup
files.  It is typical to have something like "source .bashrc" as the first
line of .bash_login.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: gcc problem
Date: 17 May 2000 12:51:57 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, sleddog wrote:
> checking for gcc... gcc
 [...]
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no

The configure script thinks that your system has gcc, but not the
C++-compiler part.  You need to install this, which should have a name like
"g++".  (Your distribution may have hidden it under a name like "egcs".)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eyez)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:52:41 GMT

quoting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Mongoose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>   I was thinking, maybe not just servers and stuff, but an application
>> that windows users have but linux doesn't. Something that would give
>> windows users more of an incentive to move to linux, or help them
>> migrate to linux.
>
>The way I see it, Linux needs the following, at minimum, before it can
>be a legitimate competitor to Windows:
>
>1. A streamlined, easy install process;
>2. An office suite roughly as functional as Office, and at least as
>   easy to use;
>3. A GUI package installation mechanism that's as easy to use as
>   InstallShield (trivial if we get a file manager for GNOME or KDE); and
>4. A GUI interface to the most common configuration files.
>
>In order to beat Windows, client-side, we need:
>
>1. A GUI interface to *all* configuration files;

Ugh. that's why i LEFT windows.

maybe the whole world SHOULDN'T run linux. It's not a system that's made to
be like windows.

--
Rando Christensen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andrei Zmievski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: CD hiccups when playing MP3s
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:54:06 GMT

I have an ATAPI IDE drive that I use with SCSI emulation driver so that
it appears as /dev/scd0. When I try to play mp3s from the CD in that
drive, every 20 seconds or so there is a hiccup like it's trying to
fetch data and needs to respin the CD or something. Any ideas if this
can be fixed?

-Andrei

From: "Steve Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:59:22 +0100

Well, if the laptop is configured with 96.34.213.129 and the same netmask,
it should respond from pings sent by the linux box - provided it's set ok.
The laptop should be able to ping the linuxpc  - but you might need to set
up the gateway address as that of the linuxpc - mabe....

Do you have enable routing / forwarding set on the linux box? The term is
dependant on how you configure networking - but from within linuxconf it's a
check box in the network routing section.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...