Linux-Misc Digest #524, Volume #21               Tue, 24 Aug 99 09:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Tape Backup under Suse 6.0 with a SCSI Tape (Michael Scheferhoff)
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Ralf Hildebrandt)
  Re: Linux text editor .. (John E. Davis)
  Re: Problems building kernel-2.2.11 (Lack Mr G M)
  TARing to a backup disk ("Al Nios")
  Re: win95 backup on Linux (John Thompson)
  non-root using SVGAlib (Jeroen Poodt)
  Re: Linux text editor .. (Kenny A. Chaffin)
  Re: ppp problems (W.G. Unruh)
  Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"? (W.G. Unruh)
  Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine (Kenny A. Chaffin)
  Re: modules... How can I make it automatically on every startup ? (Mircea)
  Re: Mounting a UFS system (Ultrix) on Linux 6.0 (Michael Engel)
  Re: 386 no CD-ROM help?? (Mircea)
  CORRECTION:S3 greyed in 2.2.5-15 Kernel Setup!!]] ("emil c.")
  password on pine? (kev)
  creating shortcut (ika prasetyawan)
  Problem to su (initgroups) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  X freezes, how to escape? (Warren Bell)
  Re: >>>Connecting to ISP Questions<<< (Bruce Schultz)
  Re: Program like FinePrint (Bruce Schultz)
  Re: WTF is the difference between Linux and FreeBSD??? (Dustin Puryear)
  Re: non-root using SVGAlib (Stephan Houben)

From: Michael Scheferhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape Backup under Suse 6.0 with a SCSI Tape
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:42:07 +0200

Hallo,

I want to backup my files with a SCSI tape under Suse 6.0 and I don't
know how to do this. One tape is able to store about 3,5 GB. The only
thing I know of the tape is that it is called DDS2.

Thanks,

Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ralf Hildebrandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 24 Aug 99 09:59:13 GMT

>Melissa, happy99, cih, troj_boclient,
>troj_boserver,stupid1,suicide,sucker,sunday,sundevil,stunning blow
>Oh.. I'm sorry you said 5 didn't you?

Uh, I don't think they're native NT...
Native NT viruses are really rare (I think there only two)
But since "normal" Windows viruses do the job just as well...
--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
"Those who do not understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it -- badly."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John E. Davis)
Subject: Re: Linux text editor ..
Date: 24 Aug 1999 10:30:27 GMT

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:56:46 +0200, SkAtAn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I am looking for a text editor under linux (console)
>that looks and works like edit.com (microshaft) ..
>for example pico ..

Try the latest version of jed (0.99-8), which supports drop-down
menus.  See http://space.mit.edu/%7Edavis/images/jed1.gif for an image
of the editor.  The editor is freely available from

   ftp://space,mit.edu/pub/davis/jed/v0.99

In addition, precompiled redhat rpms are available from

   http://www.pub.ro/~vang/jed/redhat

Do not use the version distributed with your linux distribution
because it is most likely to be v0.98 which does not support drop-down
menus.

--John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lack Mr G M)
Subject: Re: Problems building kernel-2.2.11
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:12:19 BST

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Greg Hartzog"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

|> I have built LOTS of kernels before and this is one is acting strange.
|> I got the tar.gz ball, moved the old linux directory aside,
|> un-zipped/un-tar'ed it.
|> it errors out
|> on the first source file.  It acts like there is a directory not being
|> searched.

   The actual error message woudl be helpful.

   However - one quick check.  Did you set the "memory-model" parameter
in the second(?) screen on "make xconfig" (to 1GB or 2GB)?  Without it
you will get errors about PAGE_OFFSET definitions.

--
========= Gordon Lack =============== [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ============
This message *may* reflect my personal opinion.  It is *not* intended

------------------------------

From: "Al Nios" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TARing to a backup disk
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:08:40 -0400

I have a tape backup at /dev/st0 - I performed a backup using the tar
program, and the output was saved properly to the device. When I try to TAR
another directory, it seems that the first tar file on the tape backup disk
is erased? Is that how it's suppose to work? DO I have to append the first
tar files when adding new backups to the tape drive?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Al Nios

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: win95 backup on Linux
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:58:16 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can I backup and restore entire win95 system (/dosc )on a linux
> partition from within Linux. Thanks !

I've been using tar from linux to backup my Win98
partition.  Seems to work fine, but I haven't tried
restoring the whole partition to a blank slate, as it were.
I imagine the only possible catch might be the need to boot
from the Win98 recovery floppies and run a quick SYS C: to
write a new boot record.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Jeroen Poodt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: non-root using SVGAlib
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:45:10 +0200

Hello,

I just started programming in Linux. I've ported an old fractal program
I wrote. But I can't figure out how to give a non-root user I/O
permissions for using SVGAlib. It has to be something like "setuid(0)",
but this doesn't work. Can somebody help me?

Greetings from Holland,

Jeroen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A. Chaffin)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:20:50 -0600

says...
> SkAtAn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> vi
>
> > I know vi :-) it's not what I am looking for
> emacs then ;-)
>
> --
> Alain Borel
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ROTFL

I don't think he's looking for that either <grin>. Is there something
like Ultraedit that runs under linux/x-windows ??

KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W.G. Unruh)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ppp problems
Date: 24 Aug 99 11:21:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>I recently installed Linux-Mandrake 6.0 and am having some
>difficulties connecting to the internet.  I have followed all the
>instructions for setting up my modem and ISP connection but always
>receive the same error during the connect process, "Timeout expired
>while waiting for the ppp interface window to come up."  My modem
>initializes, dials the number and connects.  It then supplies the
>username and password before the connection window goes into a
>"Logging onto network" process.  This process sits for a while before
>I get the timeout error mentioned above. I have searched all over the
>internet but can't find any info to help me out in this situation.
>Any ideas?  Some help on this would greatly appreciated!

I strongly suspect that they do not want you logging on but rather want you
using pap or chap immediately. Many ISPs will let you log on, but then leave you
in a limbo from which there is no escape.

Try following the procedure in
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W.G. Unruh)
Subject: Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"?
Date: 24 Aug 99 11:26:04 GMT

"Mazrim Taim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>A lot of these self-help Linux books, FAQs, and "words from UNIX gurus"
>always stress the importance of "Don't do anything in root! You will screw
>up your system!". But it seems as if almost everything that needs to be
>done, needs to be done as root!

Yes, and when you need to do them, just do su and become root while doing them
The problem is that root has so much power that it is easy to do something
stupid and disasterous. I once did
rm -r *
while root. I thought I was in a subdirectory, but turned out I was in the
/ directory. Not pretty.

>You need to be root to do that... at least do the last one. And so many
>configuration options require root. Not to mention shutting down your
>comptuer at the end of your computing session!

No. Just do Alt-Ctrl-Del and it willrun shutdown for you as user.
( assuming you are not in X. )

>So why stress the paranoia buildup against using root? I can't go through a
>single DAY without needing to do some root-actions. So that's why I'm root
>all the time.

Well, good luck. Please do not post here asking us how to recover from some
stupid action of yours which would have been harmless had you done it as a
user.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A. Chaffin)
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:31:24 -0600

says...
> On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:52:33 -0600, Kenny A. Chaffin wrote:
> >Which is better ?  Why?  (or what other mag is better)
>
> Read them both and make up your own mind.
>

> --
> Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | of a kamakaze pilot on his 37th mission."

Well, Jerry, that was helpful -- NOT!!!
I have read (a couple of issues) them and they both seem good. I'm
looking for those who might have been reading either or both for a longer
period of time to get impressions, opinions, etc. I hate subscribing to a
magazine to find it's only filled with fluff and advertising!

Now go play nice with yourself and if you don't have anything
constructive to say then keep you're friggin' mouth closed.

KAC

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modules... How can I make it automatically on every startup ?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:48:28 -0400

See the files in /etc/rc.d ; that's what thay are used for. On
Slackware, the relevant file is /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, but this could be
different for you, depending upon the distribution you use.

MST

------------------------------

From: Michael Engel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting a UFS system (Ultrix) on Linux 6.0
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec
Date: 24 Aug 99 11:52:14 GMT

Hi,

In comp.unix.ultrix uiowa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Can anyone nudge me in the right direction to mount a UFS FS?

: I have a DEC Ultrix system that died and I am trying to recover some info
: from the drives. Although I can mount the root partition of each disk in
: Linux (by using "mount /dev/sda /mnt"), I can't seem to mount the other
: logical partitions that existed in Ultrix.

: My ultrix drive was partitioned such that

: rz0a  = /
: rz0d  = /usr
: rz0e  = /something-else

: If I try mounting by using "mount -t ufs /dev/sdax /mnt" where x is 1-16,
: Linux simply responds /dev/sdax is not a valid block device.

I don't think the Ultrix partition map support has already made it into the
standard kernel (BSD disklabels won't help) but there is support for Ultrix
disklabels in recent Linux kernels for MIPS systems. This might also work
on x86 systems - see http://lena.fnet.fr and http://decstation.unix-ag.org
for more information. If you need help getting it to work, contact me.

regards,
        Michael
--
Michael Engel   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 386 no CD-ROM help??
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:02:55 -0400

For a 386 floppy-based install, Slackware is definitely the way to go;
up to the latest version, it is still comprised of "disksets", and the
ones in the base install (the "a" series) will fit each on a floppy.

So, to round it up: go to
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware-4.0/slakware/ ; get in turn each
of the "a" disksets (1-15) and put them on floppies; make a boot and a
root disk, per instructions in bootdsks.144/README.TXT and
rootdsks/README.TXT; grab the 17 floppies pile, a cup of coffee, move
over to the 386, and begin. Later on, you'll be able to add more
packages, but this basic install will give you a working system.

MST

------------------------------

From: "emil c." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: CORRECTION:S3 greyed in 2.2.5-15 Kernel Setup!!]]
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:55:59 +0200

Hi

I have a big problem. I have RedHat installed on my system, with kernel
2.2.5-15, and (unfortunately) with S3 Trio 64V+, which is working
correctly!
Now I decided to try to recompile the kernel, and I have started the
'make xconfig', after which the kernel setup menu appeared. Now my
problem is that when I want to set up the Video card, S3 is GREYED!! I
cannot choose the card I have on my system. It is probably some
dependency problem!? I have tried several combinations but it didn't
work!!

bye

-emil-

------------------------------

From: kev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: password on pine?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:10:12 +0100

Hi,

I've started to use pine. Wonderful, isn't it? No graphics, no mouse
needed. Fantastic!
Anyway, I tried 'NewPassword' from the 'SETUP' section, but I got the
message
"sh: /bin/passwd: No such file or directory"

Why does it not look in /etc for the passwd file? I guess there's an
environment variable somewhere that isn't set right. I didn't see
anything obvious in the .pinerc file.

Thanks in advance,

- Kev

------------------------------

From: ika prasetyawan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: creating shortcut
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:12:58 +0100

How do you create shortcut icon on the desktop when you've succeded in
installing a downloaded program from INTERNET....??

Thanks in advance.

-ika-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem to su (initgroups)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:39:06 GMT

Since a view days I  can't su. After typing in the password I get the
message: initgroups: Invalid argument

 I don't remember what programs I have installed in the last days but I didnt
 add, change or delete a group or a user.

I have already copied the files group and passwd from another client where it
works (with the same distribution) but the problem is still the same.

I am running DLD 6.0 (RedHat compatible Distribution)

Any ideas ?

Ernst Braun
eb @ con.de

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:08:03 +0000
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X freezes, how to escape?

I had Redhat 5.2 and every once in a while X would freeze up.  I tried
ctrl-alt-backspace, esc and nothing would get me out of X.  I'd end up
having to just shut off the machine.

Is there a way to escape X when it locks up?  What else can be done if X
freezes?

------------------------------

From: Bruce Schultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: >>>Connecting to ISP Questions<<<
Date: 23 Aug 1999 07:31:05 -0500

"Gilbert Groehn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello fello Linux users:
>
> I am a total neophyte to Linux but installed SuSE
> 6.1 with minimal problems in the last couple of days
> to start learning the system.
>
> Had a few problems at first configuring the X windows
> GUI but that seems to be solved now.
>
> I now need advice on what is the best method to connect to
> my ISP via dial up modem.  I use worldnet.att.net  and all of their
> dial in software is Windows based.  I am assuming that there is
> a dialer somewhere in the Linux package but I have not tried it
> yet and do not know if it will work with worldnet in any case.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.

Worldnet uses CHAP authentication and throws a few other curves.

There is a web site maintained by worldnet which has instructions.
See http://www.wurd.com

--
Bruce Schultz

From: Bruce Schultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Program like FinePrint
Date: 23 Aug 1999 11:27:15 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ehlen) writes:

> In article <thrYuW94#[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Heeyoung Kim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I used program like FinePrint that can print multi-page document
> > onto one paper on Linux a few years ago.
> >
> > Now, I want to use that program again, but I can remember that program name.
> >
> > Could you please tell me about that if you know anything?
>
> I use a2ps, but I'm sure there are more of this kind.

I recall apsfilter had a configuration that permitted the printing of
two pages of text on a single page.  I never fooled with it enough to
know if it could be changed to print four or eight or whatever.

--
Bruce Schultz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: WTF is the difference between Linux and FreeBSD???
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:47:27 GMT

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:02:14 -0600, "Jordan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> AT&T was not interested in making an operating system, specifically.
>
>Close enough. They were trying to make a system written in some sort of
>language that allowed them to do more things on a computer. That is an OS
>isn't it?

Perhaps it would be even more correct to say that AT&T did not want to
"sell" an OS. However, it did fund the research into what is now known
as Unix.

---
Dustin Puryear

From: Stephan Houben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: non-root using SVGAlib
Date: 24 Aug 1999 14:59:42 +0200

Jeroen Poodt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just started programming in Linux. I've ported an old fractal program
> I wrote. But I can't figure out how to give a non-root user I/O
> permissions for using SVGAlib. It has to be something like "setuid(0)",
> but this doesn't work. Can somebody help me?

SVGAlib programs always have to run with root permission.
However, you can allow non-users to run a program with "root"
permissions by using the setuid mechanism (to which you're
probably referring -- it's not a function ((well it is, but
the function setuid() has little to do with this mechanism)) ).

In short, a program that has the "setuid bit" set, gets the
permissions of the owner of the program, even when run by
someone else. So a program that is owned by root AND has the
setuid bit set can use SVGAlib calls, even when run by
non-root users.

(Note that setuid programs might open a potential security hole.
 Don't know if this bothers you.)

So what to do? You have the executable called `foo', and then,
as root, you do:

chown root:root foo

# `foo' is now owned by root

chmod +s foo