From: Ben Ritchie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My sound blaster live doesn't work! (mandrake 7.1)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:56:55 +0100

ISTR that Mdk7.1 comes with ALSA, which includes drivers for your card. If
the Mdk installer has been really smart then it may be installed already.
Try

cat /proc/asound/cards

to see if a module for your card has been loaded. If /proc/asound/ doesn't
exist, then ALSA isn't (correctly) installed. Install it off the CD and
try again. Instructions for getting it working can be found at

http://www.alsa-project.org/

If it is installed, you may still not get any sound because ALSA mutes the
sound by default.  You'll need to run a mixer of some sort (try gmix or
the kde sound mixer) to unmute it. Again, see the ALSA website for more.

Ben.

From: J T <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.music.filk,alt.2600,rec.humor
Subject: Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:37:34 +0800

Love it! :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: need serious help here... X hates me!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:15:08 GMT

Howdy:

For X, I've used that SiS AGP card without the symptoms you mention, so
I don't think it's an incompatibility with the card.  Sounds icky . . .

For the RTL8029, I've used those too and you can use the ne2k driver for
the 8029's.  The 8139's have their own driver which you cannot use for
the 8029.

BTW, RedHat automatically chose the ne2k module for my rtl8029.  No
manual intervention there . . .

Aaron

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FYI: Applix vs. StarOffice vs. WP8 for Linux....
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:26:01 -0400

Arthur Sowers wrote (in part):

> FYI, I'm a very newbie newbie, but have been dabbling with Linux since
> Summer of '99 (see footnote 1, below on experience summary). I got into
> Linux because I was disgusted with Win9X, by the way.
>
> Mainly I need a wordprocessor and a spreadsheet (something like Excel, if
> possible) and I need that to get work done. The OS and tinkering with it
> is going to be a long, drawn out hobby for me.
>
> [snip]

> I installed SO and WP on several Linux boxes, and Applix on both a 5.2 and
> a 6.2 box.
>
> The Applix install had some glitches. But it launches very fast and exits
> very fast. HOWEVER, I had a bunch of windows open, then closed them before
> exiting the whole ap and shortly afterwards noticed in the terminal window
> that I used to launch the ap a series of warnings regarding "unexpectedly
> destroyed windows" AND a 1.5 MB "core" file in my root directory with a
> buch of gibberish in it. "core" files suggest that something went wrong
> somewhere and that bothered me. I do not see an uninstaller for Applix.

Applix 5.0 installs itself from a bunch of .rpm's. So if you knew their
names, you could rpm -e them.
To find out their names, I suggest you run rpm -qa | grep applix

On my system, when I do that, I get:

applix-bin-office-base-5.00-1315
applix-bin-spell-base-5.00-1315
applix-bin-rt-base-5.00-1315
applix-bin-xpdf-base-5.00-1315
applix-bin-applixware-base-5.00-1315
applix-bin-sm-base-5.00-1315
applix-eng-applixware-rsrc-5.00-1315
applix-bin-ttfonts-base-5.00-1315
applix-bin-wp-base-5.00-1315
applix-bin-filters-base-5.00-1315
applix-eng-gr-rsrc-5.00-1315
applix-bin-ss-base-5.00-1315
applix-eng-wp-rsrc-5.00-1315
applix-eng-sm-rsrc-5.00-1315
applix-bin-gr-base-5.00-1315
applix-eng-rt-rsrc-5.00-1315
applix-eng-ss-rsrc-5.00-1315
applix-eng-gr-help-5.00-1315
applix-eng-sm-help-5.00-1315
applix-eng-wp-help-5.00-1315
applix-bin-clipart-base-5.00-1315
applix-eng-ss-help-5.00-1315

> Applix required an upgrade or override of some glibic libraries. I chose
> the override route.

I do not recall, but I think I picked the upgrade.

> Its a gtk+ application, whatever that means but it
> worried me a little. A launches by typing "applix" at the prompt. The
> manuals for Applix are not too bad, but are certainly not thick. They
> show, in the "install" booklet, a long list of fixed bugs from ver 4.0,
> which is nice. But there is almost nothing there on "trouble-shooting" or
> explaining a few things on options & routes of installing the ap.

There is a huge amount of on-line documentation if you launch applix and
press the "Office" icon at the left of the toolbar. They have a Welcome suite
which may be helpful, a bunch of tutorials, and some sample macro stuff. They
have a whole section on "getting help" both on your own machine and
elsewhere. And more.

> [snip]

I have not gotten any of the problems to which you refer.

The only problem I have is that I cannot import a .tsv file directly from
Netscape as I could do with Applixware 4.4.1 (or whatever the previous
version was). I can save it to disk and then import it, but that is a pain.
This is a bug that they are presumably working on.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Copying user information
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:20:38 GMT

Hi Linux folks,

I have a linux file server running Samba for about 60 people in my
company.  It's used quite heavily, and performs flawlessly with hardware
RAID-5.  I perform nightly backups to tape, and overall it's been quite
stable.

However, as part of a disaster recovery plan, I'd like to be able to
copy my user definitions to be able to restore to another machine
without making everybody reset their password.  I tried copying a few
sample users from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to another machine, but
that didn't work.

I guess what I want is: If I restore the whole thing to another box, I
want to restore the groups, users, and passwords as well.  Is there any
way to do this?

Aaron

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Morgan)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:31:54 GMT

>Howdy:
>
>For X, I've used that SiS AGP card without the symptoms you mention, so
>I don't think it's an incompatibility with the card.  Sounds icky . . .
I think it could be a fuckup in my bios, cuz i had to play with em to
get it to work before, but i dont remember changing anythin since then

>For the RTL8029, I've used those too and you can use the ne2k driver for
>the 8029's.  The 8139's have their own driver which you cannot use for
>the 8029.
>
>BTW, RedHat automatically chose the ne2k module for my rtl8029.  No
>manual intervention there . . .
well, i have one PCI, and one ISA (supposedly pnp) and it found the
PCI no problem :o)
what im askin is how i can have them both using the ne2k driver at the
same time (for my firewall)

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: creating mpeg/animated gif (or other format...)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:30:17 -0500

Ben Ritchie wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I would like to create a short movie sequence of some data, currently
> stored as a number of 600x600 arrays but which can trivially be dumped
> to disk as a sequence of static images (GIF, JPG or most other common
> formats). What would be the simplest way to turn this into an
> animation? I'm not really bothered about the format - mpeg and animated
> GIF are the two that spring to mind, but as long as it can be replayed
> with generally available software (i.e. nothing too obscure) under Linux
> and Solaris I don't really care. Ideally this would be done internally,
> but as the code is Fortran 77 I rather doubt suitable software is
> available.
>
> FWIW, I'm running Mandrake 7.0.
>
> Ideas welcome. Many thanks,
>
> Ben.

You can make animated GIFs with GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/ if you don't
already have it).  There is a GIMP Animation tool that is supposed to
make it easier to created animated GIFs, but I can't remember where I
saw it (could be on the GIMP site).

Anyway, here's a crash course in GIMP animations.  This is using the
regular GIMP program (not the animator).

1.  Open a new image of the correct size.

2.  Paste the first frame into the image.  Go ahead and "Anchor" the
selection.  This will become the background layer.

3.  Paste the next frame into the image.

4.  Make the selection a new layer (in GIMP 1.0.2, open the "Layers &
Channels" dialog, right-click on the "Floating Selection" and click "New
Layer").

5.  Repeat #3 and #4 for each remaining frame.

6.  Make sure that the animation is using an indexed palette (in GIMP
1.0.2, right-click on the image, Image -> Indexed, then select the
palette you want to use).

7.  When you save the animated GIF, you can set the animation options
(delay between frames, frame display policy, etc).

8.  Load the GIF into an image viewer that supports animated GIFs (a Web
browser works very well), and you should be done.

If I find the URL for the GIMP animation tool, I'll be sure to post
again.

Hope this helps.  :o)
Stephen.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: Douglas Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: backup and restore with cpio??
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:58:08 -0700

Exactly! Thank you very much!

dn

--
Cheers, dn

Douglas Nichols                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
National Wilms Tumor Study Group                   206.667.4283
Seattle, WA

------------------------------

From: Douglas Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:58:45 -0700

Thank you very much!

exactly the problem!

dn

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: XWindow Managers
Date: 22 Aug 2000 15:32:00 GMT

Gero H. Marten ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

[ What is a "desktop switching tool"? Never heard of it. I use SuSE 6.3
[ and do all configuration with my editor.

It's one of those menu items to help those former Micro$oft users make
the move gradually to Linux, but with a half-baked implementation a user
such as root can get lost

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:42:47 -0400

Quentin Christensen wrote (in part):

> I'm planning to get a new drive very soon.  Was tossing up getting one of those
> nice new super-fast SCSI ones - am I going to have trouble getting support for
> these under linux?

I have a box with 2 Quantum Atlas 10K 9.1 GByte 10,000 rpm hard drives on a
LSI LOGIC Symbios SYM8951U Ultra-2 SCSI controller. I do not know about support,
since I never needed any. I bought the whole box from VA Linux Systems, and that
stuff was already in it, along with their tuned version of Red Hat Linux 6.0. I
presently am running the 2.2.14-5.0.14csmp kernel in it. (I reloaded the OS as
soon as I determined the machine was working, because I wanted to change the
partitions, including the / partition, all around, and a re-install seemed the
easiest way. Took about 15 minutes, which was way faster than installing the same
release on my old machine (which runs the 2.2.16-3 kernel, since it has only one
CPU). Takes about an hour to do an install on that machine.)

One nice thing about such a fast system (2 550 MHz Pentium IIIs) is that Netscape
comes up in 1.5 seconds. On my old box with Western Digital Caviar hard drives and
a P166, it takes 15 to 20 seconds for Netscape to come up.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:47:37 -0400

Staffan Emren wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer-valinux wrote:
> >
> > Doug wrote:
> >
> > > "Marcus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > The good ol' <Ctrl><Alt><BackSpace> usually works.
> > >
> > > Doug
> >
> > But not always. Sometimes it hangs so bad that <Ctrl><Alt><BackSpace> does
> > nothing. If you are lucky, <Ctrl><Alt><F[1-6]> work. But they usually do not
> > under these conditions. I had it just lock up completely with a 4-hour job
> > running in the background. Luckily the CpuMem applet was running OK, so I
> > could tell when the background job was done. I then gave up and pressed the
> > panic button. This is a very rare problem. On two machines one of which I
> > have been running since early 1998, and the other since near the beginning
> > of this year, this has happened exactly once on each machine.
> >

> I've experienced this a few times (I suspect vmware or netscape to mess
> things up), and I've managed to telnet into the machine (yes, it works
> from a windows box as well, even though the windows telnet client
> sucks), and either kill a number of processes, or restart the machine in
> a clean manner, with proper unmounting of all partitions etc.
>
> Staffan Emren

It is not VMware on my machine. It is true that in each case where X locked up
completely, I had been running Netscape and was having problems with it.

I forgot about telnetting in from another machine. As it happens, you cannot
telnet into my machines, but you can with ssh, and furthermore, I have another
machine about two meters away from this one and they are linked together with 100
Megabit ethernet, so I could try that if it happens again. I hope I remember.
Then maybe I could go over a month between reboots... . Linux is always better
than the 3 reboots per week I get with Windows 95.