Linux-Misc Digest #540, Volume #21               Wed, 25 Aug 99 21:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: LANG and Mutt: garbled characters (Chris Butler)
  Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine (Carl Fink)
  Problems with networking and modules (Jonas Otter)
  Need help with updatedb (Jim)
  Re: Looking for Astronomy (starchart) software. (Allin Cottrell)
  Re: Module slhc.o ? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: My LILO broke at Mandrake 6.0 with System Commander (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: does linux have a package for viewing powerpoint (.ppt) files/documents  ?
(Chris Mahmood)
  Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: HP720C driver. what was it again? (Allin Cottrell)
  Re: why not C++? (Thomas Boggs)
  Re: linux (Tux) promotional material? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Upgraded 2.0.36 to 2.2.10,->login: can't resolve getutent (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: HELP! unable to load interpeter (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: NEWBIE Question: Is there a free database program for Linux (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: / will not unmount (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: X freezes, how to escape? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: netscape 4.51 for linux (Allin Cottrell)
  Re: RealPlayer 5.0 wont work, Netscape 4.51, Slackware 4.0.0 (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: need to select appropriate Linux distributions (Chris Miller)
  Re: POP3 and SMTP for Sendmail/Linux (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Hard disk speed issues (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Best language for graphical apps? ("Noah Roberts (jik-)")
  Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux? (David C.)
  Re: Linux `Chat' Program ("Noah Roberts (jik-)")
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (David C.)
  Re: NT & Linux - dual boot (Mark Post)
  Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX? ("Noah Roberts (jik-)")
  Linux viruses? ("Jonathan Penalber")
  Re: Linux viruses? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Butler)
Subject: Re: LANG and Mutt: garbled characters
Date: 25 Aug 1999 23:16:06 +0100

[comp.os.linux.misc - Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:52:35 GMT] * Indicatrix wrote *
<snip problem>
> What is going on?  Is the problem with the specific program, Mutt
> 0.95.6i in this case? I have noticed that RedHat does not set LANG at
> all. Does this mean that RedHat will have the same problem if one sets
> LANG? (I have not had the opportunity to test this).

I've just tested it here on Debian potato (2.2), which also has this
problem. It's strange, however, that it should show the characters
correctly when using the default language (or en_GB, which is my default).

I suggest you report this bug to the debian BTS with the "bug" program.

--
Chris Butler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: 25 Aug 1999 03:57:21 GMT

LINUX JOURNAL reads more like a technical journal.  The articles are
written (mostly) by computer professionals for other computer
professionals.

LINUX MAGAZINE is more like a general circulation magazine.  More
attention seems to be given to the writing style, which uses fewer
undefined technical terms.  They have more no-computer-content
articles like the one in the current issue about a Red Hat promotion,
"Geek Week".  LJ has case studies of actual Linux usage.

I read them both, but I'd give up LINUX MAGAZINE first.  I really
don't care about how the computer geeks reacted to their snorkeling
trip being canceled.  OTOH, LM has better interviews.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonas Otter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Problems with networking and modules
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:13:09 GMT

Hello,

I am trying to set up a Linux machine as a firewall. It has 2 Netgear
FA-310TX Ethernet cards.

If I use the default RedHat 6.0 installation (kernel 2.0.36),
everything starts up fine, the Ethernet cards come up using the tulip
driver module etc etc, except that if I try to ping machines on the
internal network, often I get no response for minutes. Then randomly,
some machine will respond nicely, and then another, and so on, then
the first one will stop responding, etc etc. Pinging in the other
direction always works. Machines are a mixture of Linux and Windows
NT.

Thinking it might be the card driver, I copied the tulip.c source from
the diskette that came with the card. It has been adapted for the
FA-310TX card by Netgear. Only problem now is, I keep getting
unresolved symbols from the modules. I have read newsgroups and done
everything by the book: rm -rf /lib/modules/2.0.36; cd /usr/src/linux;
make dep clean modules modules_install zImage install. Still no luck,
depmod -a reports unresolved symbols for essentially all modules.

Now I am at my wits end, I have been at it for a week and no success.
Not only is it driving me crazy, my boss says that if I can't get it
to work now, we shall have to install NT with MS Proxy.
Aaaaaarrrgghhh!

Thanks,
Jonas Otter

------------------------------

From: Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help with updatedb
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:12:29 -0400

Since I loaded in the new Slackware4.0, it seems that updatedb is not
automatically run by cron. I dont really have a problem running it from
time to time, but it seems that after 6 hours or so from running it, it
looses its database, and needs to be updated again. I know with my old
Slackware3.0, I never had an issue with it. I do leave my computer on
24/7, and use locate quite a bit. Any help is greatly apprieciated.
TIA

Jim

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.astro.amateur,comp.sources.wanted
Subject: Re: Looking for Astronomy (starchart) software.
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:18:11 -0400

Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:

> make sure you check out the new version of xephem (3.2.2).

You may also want to look at:

http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/gstar/

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Module slhc.o ?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:25:31 -0700

"Angel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>         Could someone tell me what module slhc.o is used for ?
It's for packet compression with slip and ppp.  See linux/drivers/net/slhc.c.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My LILO broke at Mandrake 6.0 with System Commander
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:22:50 -0700

Robert Washburne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[upgraded two scsi disks, using system commander and lilo]

> I rebooted and System Commander noticed the new LILO.  I selected it,
> but this time the system hangs after "LI".

Lilo is a pretty clever program.  The number of letters returned in
situations like this is informative and listed in the lilo docs.  "LI"
generally means a geometry mismatch--try appending 'linear' and see if
that helps.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: does linux have a package for viewing powerpoint (.ppt) files/documents  ?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:37:54 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer) writes:

> There's supposed to be a Linux Software Map someplace.  Good luck.
> Meanwhile, try the package search (not the Web site search; that doesn't
> work) at www.debian.org, or www.freshmeat.org or www.redhat.com
http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linuxlist/linuxlist/linuxlist.html is
pretty good and
http://www.linuxnow.com has a nice search engine.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:53:03 -0700

Mazrim Taim ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
 : So why stress the paranoia buildup against using root? I can't go through a
 : single DAY without needing to do some root-actions. So that's why I'm root
 : all the time.
then you aren't using your system corrrectly.  it won't be long before
we see a post from you asking for help b/c you've deleted your passwd
file.  What exactly do you have to do every day as root?  When you do
have to do something as root (e.g., edit /etc/fstab or install a new
kernel that you compiled as a user) what's wrong with using su or
sudo?  There was a thread on comp.unix.security a month or so ago
about a company that didn't give admins the root passwd--there was
just extensive use of sudo.  Many of the gurus agreed with policy!

I suppose many newbies from the Windows (I don't know if that
describes you) don't see the danger of using the root account b/c they
have been trained to think by MS that reinstalling your OS is just
part of using a computer.  Not to mention the complete lack of
security.

-Chris "Who does run with scissors" Mahmood

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: nl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: HP720C driver. what was it again?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:13:17 -0400

J H Houtsma wrote:

> oeps excuse me. I am using netscape from work at the moment.
> At home my settings are correct.
> Hope this is better..

It's not.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: Thomas Boggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:27:48 -0500

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:40:21 -0500, Thomas Boggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >Tristan Wibberley wrote:

> >> The asterisk would be reasonable for dot, but I'd prefer it for the
> >> cross. Whether modulo division could be meaningful for vectors and
> >> matrices I'm not sure, but to me, the C modulo division operator is for
> >> modulo divisions.
> >>

> >I'm in agreement here.  I had to make that decision for myself a while ago.  Using
> >the asterisk for cross products makes equations appear more 'natural'.  Also, you
> >probably want to be able to pre and post-multiply vectors by scalars, for which you
> >will probably want to use an asterisk.  Rather than redefining another operator for
> >the dot product, I just use a friend function (c = Dot(a,b)) since you can only take
> >the dot product of 2 vectors at a time anyway.
>
> A binary operator takes only two operands at a time, so I don't understand
> your objection. An overloaded operator can't take three or more operands.

It's not an objection - it's a preference.  The point was that since you don't have
terms of the form A<dot>B<dot>C, using a friend function for the dot product does not
reduce readability of the code.

> The result of a dot product is a scalar, that can be used in a multiplicative
> expression like
>
>         K * (a * b)

And the result of a cross product is a vector, that can be used in a multiplicative
expression like

vector u, v, w;
scalar c;
w = c*u*v;

> Also, consider that a dot product can work on arbitrary dimensions. Any
> N-vector can be dotted with any other N-vector. The operation commutes.
>
> The same is not true of the cross product: it is a special case that only works
> in 3 space.  It also does not commute, so it doesn't satisfy an important
> property that is usually associated with the multiplication operator; on that
> basis, a case can be made for giving precedence to the dot product when
> deciding which gets the * operator.

Yet, surprisingly, people have no problem understanding matrix multiplication (A=BxC),
even when using an 'x' to denote multiplication.

> That is why I suggested that * be used for dot and % for cross. Also, the glyph
> of % more closely resembles a cross, than * does, and * more closely resembles
> a dot than % does. Oh, and the precedence of % is suitable.

I don't think you'll win many votes with the glyph argument.

> I find all objections to to be completely irrational, founded on religious
> belief. It's a matter of programmer preference.

I searched both the bible and the koran for hours and hours but they didn't provide any
insight on this topic.  But I think you're right that it is a matter of preference, and
so it simply remains to see what most programmers prefer.

-thomas

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux (Tux) promotional material?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:30:38 GMT

  Simon Oosthoek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:53:53 +0200, wrote :

SO> Hi
SO>
SO> I'd like to decorate the office with some posters and stickers (for the
SO> PC's) with the penguin and Linux on it. Is there a place where I can
SO> order some? (preferably in the Netherlands, but anywhere is better than
SO> nowhere ;-)

Visit http://www.linuxmall.com/ -- they have stickers, T-Shirts,
stuffed Tuxes (various sizes), including a full, adult-sized Tux
costume, and bumper sitckers as well -- select by category and select
'Other Cool Linux Stuff'.  Or just visit the LDP at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/ -- there is a section which points to
pictures of Tux and collections of banners.  Presumably you can beg,
borrow, etc. access to a color printer and print some of this stuff
out.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgraded 2.0.36 to 2.2.10,->login: can't resolve getutent
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:15:51 -0700

"B. James DeVries" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Yesterday I downloaded the 2.2.10 source from Sunsite, deleted the
> symbolic link '/usr/src/linux'
> pointing to '/usr/src/linux-2.0.36', untarred the source (creating
> /usr/src/linux-2.2.10), recreated
> the symbolic link 'linux', now pointing to 2.2.10, make menuconfig, make
> dep, make modules, make zlilo
> (Kernel To Big!), make menuconfig (modularize more), make dep, make
> zlilo, 'Wander Off'.
B/c of limitations of the x86 arch, a kernel image cannot be larger
than 512K; this has nothing to do with Linux.  Try 'make bzImage'
instead or move some things into modules.

> Telnetting into the box yielded the following.
>    Linux 2.0.36 (linuxbox.alpeng.com) (ttyp0)
>
>    linuxbox login: root
>    Password:
>    login: can't resolve symbol 'getutent'
>    Connection closed by foreign host.
ah, telnetting as root.  Brilliant...
getutent() reads the next record from the utmp file--my guess is that
you didn't read linux/Documentation/Changes to make sure that the
rest of your system (libraries, binutils, etc) was ready for 2.2.

> Do I dare make module_install?
This is why distributions exist.  When you upgrade, say, SuSE 6.0 to
6.2 all of the hard work has been done for.  If you really want to do
this on your own you need to make sure you know what you are doing.

>If the machine reboots, will I need a
> boot diskette?
You don't have a boot disk?  'cat /boot/vmlinuz >> /dev/fd0' takes
about 30 seconds.
>Can I fix the
> error such that login works in the current environment (2.0.36 running)
> and will continue to work
> after the 2.2.10 kernel is running?  Is 'make all' in order?
It's hard to say since I don't know anything about your system.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! unable to load interpeter
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:18:46 -0700

Rick Kennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> We are baffled by an 'unable to load interpeter' error.
What's the context here?  Is this something to do with the binfmt_misc
module?

> This is our
> first Linux box, introduced inspite of consultants that were recommendin
> NT and exchange for our mail. Now management is watching... very
> closley...   We are very scared :-)
You should have hired a sysadmin then.  I can send you my resume if
you'd like ;
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:37:30 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A. Chaffin) writes:

> There is no
> unbiased objective point of view.
If there's no unbiased, objective point of view, then how can you
claim that there is no unbiased, objective point of view.  Either your
claim is false, or it contradicts itself.  The good news is that you
get to pick which one it is!
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEWBIE Question: Is there a free database program for Linux
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:32:18 -0700

Frank Conte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm looking for a simple database program that can read a Filemaker Pro
> or Access or Text delimited or comma delimited file. Is there a good
> public domain database I can just throw up on my linux machine. I do use
> startx.
dozens, depending on what you want to do.  Start here:
http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linuxlist/linuxlist/linuxlist.html

And I do use cp.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: / will not unmount
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:39:47 -0700

"William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> FSUNEWS wrote:
> >
> >   I have recently upgrade my debian box to kernel 2.2.11 and now whenever I
> > shutdown my computer it always gives me a-- /: Device busy -- then when I
> > powerup again it runs the tests as if it werent shutdown correctly.  How do
> > I fix this annoying problem.
>
> I don't know about Debian but with Mandrake 6.0 there's an
> update to the initscripts that resolves the system's
> inability to cleanly dismount a partition.  YMMV.  Check it
> out at http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fupdates.php3
have your boot script pause so that you can use fuser to see what's
accessing the filesystem.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X freezes, how to escape?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:41:08 -0700

David Bowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Warren Bell wrote:
> > Is there a way to escape X when it locks up?  What else can be done if X
> > freezes?
>
> try CTRL-ALT-Backspace
failing that, log in remotely and kill the server.  Failing that,
compile your kernel with support for the magic sysreq combos.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape 4.51 for linux
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:21:06 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have redhat 6.0 installed and it came with netscape 4.51.  It's always
> crashing whenever anything that has to do with java is on the website
> I'm trying to access.  How can I fix this.  Thanks.

Try netscape 4.61 at any rate.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: RealPlayer 5.0 wont work, Netscape 4.51, Slackware 4.0.0
Date: 25 Aug 1999 18:51:26 -0500

On 25 Aug 1999 13:02:47 GMT, Ron Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone help me with setting up RealAudio 5.0/elf?
>
>I've followed the instructions for both plugin setup and helper
>application and neither works.  I know it's not my sound card as I did
>get the old aout 3.0 version working and it played the demo file but I
>found when attempting to use that on broadcast.com that the version was
>too old.  The kernel does have elf support.  I can't even get the player
>to launch itself without netscape.  No error messages either.  And I've
>tried combinations of both plugin and helper setups.  It appears that
>something is missing.
>
>Setup...
>
>Slackware 4.0.0
>KDE desktop
>Netscape 4.51

If this is 2.2 kernel, you need RealPlayerG2:

  http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

--
Hal B
            Linux helps those who help themselves

------------------------------

From: Chris Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need to select appropriate Linux distributions
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:03:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Gilles RONVAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello world,
> LINUX is a new toy for me, I have heard of Suse, Red Hat, Caldera,
> Mandrake... and that there are overs 100 differerent available
> distributions!!! I would like to know which of these to choose
according
> to the context. The different cases I am interested in are following:
>
> (1) at work, a multi-processor PC used in developing and running
>  scientific applications;
>
> (2) at work, a PC used as an internet or intranet server;
>
> (3) at work, a PC used as an active network equipment;
>
> (1-3 bis) a Sun workstation in the same cases as above;
>
> (4) at home, my PC used with applications like Star Office and
> Netscape Communicator, connecting to internet via an internal
> USRobotics MODEM, and used sometime to compose MIDI music with
> a Sound Blaster AWE 64.
>
> A distribution is good, in my opinion, if :
> - it provides all what you need and let you install only what you
need;
> - it is (almoste!) bug-free;
> - it is easy to install and manage for a UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX...)
> administrator;
> - it is documented at least on the web;
> - successive releases respect at least backward compatibility;
> - the distributor is not going to move away tomorrow without leaving
any

> address...
>
> Such thing does not exist, probably, but thank you very much if you
can
> help
> me in any way to find something approaching.
>
> Gilles Ronval
> Electricité De France

If you are more interested in stability rather than being on the
bleeding edge then Debian is worth a look, especially if you already
have a Unix background.

Once you learn how to use the installation utility called "dselect" the
distribution is good.

Chris Miller

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: POP3 and SMTP for Sendmail/Linux
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:28:21 -0700

Aaron Slepecky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I recently configured a zone on my box for the purpose of testing email.
> I setup sendmail and the DNS correctly(I think) and can send and receive
> mail locally.  Whenever I go off site (for example: checking mail with
> yahoo) I cannot POP the mail for some reason.
[deleted crossposts to *.setup and redhat.*.security]
Are you running a POP server?  Is it running?
-ckm
p.s. Please don't crosspost to groups where this would be off-topic.

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk speed issues
Date: 25 Aug 1999 16:30:07 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a puzzling problem with hard drive speed.
hdparm(8).

-ckm

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Best language for graphical apps?
From: "Noah Roberts (jik-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 17:18:17 -0700

tcl/tk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Which soundcard is best for Linux?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 19:45:02 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Benkmann) writes:

> Now, who can tell me how the ALSA drivers could produce better sound?
> MSB

I've got a few ideas.

- They might be using chipset features that the other drivers aren't
  using.

- If the chipset depends in any way on software timing, one could comply
  better.

- The default mixer/EQ settings could be different, and you prefer one
  over the other.

-- David

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux `Chat' Program
From: "Noah Roberts (jik-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 17:16:13 -0700

Evan L. Schemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Well, there is "talk" its on all unix systems.

The ircd server will work without connecting to other servers just
fine, you have to configure it which is pretty complicated.  I never
got it to work while it was offline though...no irc jik- localhost
while off line.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 25 Aug 1999 20:38:37 -0400

"Adam C. Emerson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Roger  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> NT is reasonably easy to crack - NTFSDOS.EXE will get you into any
>>> file on the HDD if you boot from a floppy - most sys admins don't
>>> bother setting the BIOS to boot from C only.  There are other stupid
>>> holes like
>
>> The same thing works with Linux and most Unix systems.
>
> How easy is it to set up a Cryptographic FS under NT?

I think Win2K has an option to encrypt volumes.  At least I remember
seeing it in one of the early "NT5" betas.  I don't know if it will wind
up in the release or not.

NT4 doesn't include anything for doing this, although a third-party
product might exist.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NT & Linux - dual boot
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:52:37 GMT

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:14:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel
Norton) wrote:

>Doesn't work for me either.  When I select "Linux" from the NT boot prompt, IT
>says "NTDETECT V5.0 Checking Hardware..." and a few seconds later is reports:

>Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
><winnt root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

>My boot.ini file has this line:
>c:\linux.boot="Linux"

Your problem is one that I ran into personally.  Amazingly enough (or not,
since it is Microsoft we're talking about), the name of your boot file HAS
to be in "8.3" format.  So, rename the file to linux.bot or bootsect.lnx,
or anything that conforms to 8.3, change your boot.ini file to point to the
new name, and it should work just fine.

Mark Post

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX?
From: "Noah Roberts (jik-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 17:03:08 -0700

As to the subject, the psgml-mode in xemacs is a very good html editor.

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Penalber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux viruses?
Date: 25 Aug 1999 15:31:20 PDT

I haven't come across any antivirus programs for Linux.  Are viruses not a
problem on this platform?

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux viruses?
Date: 26 Aug 1999 00:27:05 GMT

Jonathan Penalber wrote:

> I haven't come across any antivirus programs for Linux.  Are viruses not a
> problem on this platform?
>
> Jonathan

Viruses are not a problem in Linux.  The antivirus programs you may find
are for virus checking MS files when Linux is used as a file server for MS
(so called) operating systems.

This is because most folks operate Linux as users most of the time, and
can therefore damage only their own files (if Linux is setup correctly).
A virus could only be really effective in Linux when you run as root.  So
do that only when you have to.

Security is the issue in Linux.  You want to set up Linux so that only
legitimate users can access it's resources.  This is not hard, but does
require study.  It is also an ongoing process, not a one time event (i.e.
learn, update to fix security holes, go back to learn).