  Re: Restoring LILO after reformatting 98 partition ("Charles Sullivan")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 04:45:55 GMT

On 20 May 2000 22:21:44 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Of course.  GPL advocates were the ones who pushed for this
>>>change and they don't like the LGPL much.
>>
>>      Bullshit.
>
>http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html

        That makes it the position of the Free Software Foundation
        not of the various groups that opposed the original licence
        including those that made their own alternative...

                        ...licenced LGPL.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Ostrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,linux.dev.c-programming
Subject: How to find path to a shared module
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 22:31:01 -0700

I'm working on a project building a shared module.  When distributed, I of
course don't know the path to the install directory, but I need to know the
path inside my module.

Is there a system call I can make inside my module to get the path to my
module?

Thanks
Jeff

------------------------------

From: Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree86-4.0 rpm install difficulty
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 23:43:23 -0600

I tried installing (again) the new XFree86-4.0 rpms.
I ran xf86config and then try to startx.  I cannot.
I run into problems with xauthority.  I get messages
about not being able to get a lock on .Xauthority as
a user.

If I login as root and try to startx, I get nothing
but a message that the system is waiting for X to
start accepting connections which never occurs.

Obviously, something is missing in the instructions
I read at the LDP site.  In their troubleshooting section
there was also no mention of the problems I run into
with Xauthority.  This problem ONLY occurs with XFree86-
4.0, not 3.3.6 which I went back to so I could have a
functioning X server.

I also run into an annoying dependency problem concerning
/usr/bin/install-menu.  I have not been able to determine
what rpm supplies the above file/script/binary.  If I
click on this dependency at rufus, it doesn't link back
to any rpms.  Running rpmfind to try to find it fails to
turn up anything as well.

Anyone have any sage words to offer?

praedor

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial mice & cheap motherboards ?
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 23:36:29 -0600

> a while ago, I bought a board w/out ps2 support (sigh), and
> strangely enough have been unable to get any mouse to work
> through my serial port.  this applies to both x and the general
> console - apparently my box isn't detecting the thing at all.
>
> I've tried all the basic solutions, read countless howto's, and
> gotten various friends to help me mess around with some
> interesting serial hacks, but all to no avail.  any ideas?

  What are the serial ports set to in the BIOS?  Don't set them to "auto",
but to standard serial IRQ/IO settings.

steve
Domain for replies is "codon"

From: Kevin Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Hard Drive Light Always On
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 06:29:47 GMT

When running RedHat Linux 6.2, my hard drive LED is always on, even
though the hard drive is inactive.  This also occurs in win2000 and
winNT, but the light works fine in win98, only coming on when its
supposed to.  I have a Tekram P6B40-A4X motherboard with an on-board
dual udma 33 disk controller.  I have a western digital 20 gig drive as
master and an IBM 6.4 gig as slave on the primary chain.  I have a
creative 52x reader as master and a creative 4x2x24 writer as slave on
the secondary.  I've moved the config of the drives all around, and that
doesn't seem to have any effect.

This isn't exactly a life-threatening problem, but it does get annoying
sometimes.

If someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kevin

From: "BR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sound over network
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 01:29:56 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (root) wrote:
<snip snip>

So basically you want this.
                                  Audio data flowing L to R
Server (with soundcard)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Client (With no soundcard)
Playing audio source                                       Receiving audio source.

Your fine up to the point were the data gets to the client.
However there NEEDS to be a device wich translates bits to audible sound.
The PC speaker is *inadequate* for this task.
A soundcard does a much better job of this.
*However* having the flow go the other way(client plays), and work, is possible.
Simplest solution is to move the soundcard to the client.

------------------------------

From: "Ron Sinclair" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Maximum Linux
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 15:31:16 +0900

Have you tried going to their site and subscribing to the mag?  Dunno how
they handle overseas subscriptions tho.

"Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >In article <8g3al8$j826$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Griffiths <michael.gri
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >>Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
US

From: Kevin Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: D-link 220 in RedHat 6.2
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 06:41:32 GMT

I have a D-Link 220 in running in RedHat Linux 6.2.  I'm using the
NE2000 module and it works fine, but during boot the kernel gives me an
unresolved symbol error when loading ne.o.  My /etc/conf.modules looks
like this:

alias    eth0    8390
alias    eth0    ne    io=0x300    irq=10

the 8390 has to be loaded before the ne module, but it seems the kernel
isn't doing this on boot.  When i do the insmod 8390 and insmod ne
myself, it works fine.

If anyone could tell me how to get the kernel to load the 8390 before
the ne while booting i would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kevin

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 01:55:56 -0500

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Full Name wrote:

+On 18 May 2000 12:19:01 GMT, "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
+wrote:
+
+>
+>: There's just no excuse for not having an adequate installer.  We have
+>
+>The installers I have are very adequate (make and tar).  And from what
+>I've seen the distros have excellenet installers too. I can understand
+
+You can't be serious.  Make and tar are "installers"???

In the sense that you can use both of them to install software, yes.

anm
--
/*-------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                      |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Campbell)
Subject: Re: BAD MAGIC NUMBER IN SUPERBLOCK
Date: 21 May 2000 07:04:34 GMT

On Fri, 19 May 2000 09:34:49 -0500, Tony Reutter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sorry about the screaming!..I have Mandrake 7.0 and am fairly new at this
>stuff...I had been messing around with user setup in root and apparently
>failed to activate the changes...OR...was running Netscape 6.0 Beta in
>nonroot and it crashed...EITHER WAY..my /dev/hda7,,which is home..got
>trashed on bootup..It shows bad magic number in superblock while trying to
>open /dev/hda7..try running e2fsck with alternate block, such as -b 8193
>/dev/hda7....I have tried that, and at least 10 successions of 8193, such as
>16385,etc,etc, all to no avail...I reread the posts concerning this problem

Whenever this has happened to me (not for a long time, I'm glad to say)
I've never had any luck restoring things with e2fsck -b...

I had some correspondence with the author of the program, who assured me
that it does work some of the time; I have to accept this, but it's
never done so for me.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards

------------------------------

From: Graham Daniell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Can't see MAN command output
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:17:10 +0800

Thanks Micah for your reply.

Yes, it was working when I was running RH 6.1, but after I installed RH
6.2 (using "upgrade" option) it stopped working.

Regards,
Graham Daniell
=================

--
Graham Daniell
Perth, Western Australia

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 07:21:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

> >Here are some requirements for a killer app:

> >1. Lots of people have to use it.

>       60% marketshare of the server part of THE current
>       killer microcomputer app.

I believe you're snipping or ignoring the part where I write that
the aforementioned "lots of people" can't come from a specific market,
unless that market is itself significant.

So, 60% of 5% of computer users is not a lot of people.  And the
grammar of your statement eludes me somewhat, so it may actually be
60% of 5% of 20%.  (Unless you think that more than 5% of computers -
bear in mind we're counting *all* computers capable of running Linux,
here - run a WWW server?  Or that computers - again, all computers
which can run Linux - spend more than 20% of their (real) time on the
WWW?)

>       With a 60%, I would imagine it does.

On an unrelated note, is Apache really 60% of the WWW server market?
Do you know how many of them are on Linux boxes?  (I ask because I
didn't think *Unix* had a 60% share of the WWW server (OS) market.)

> >of computer users have not installed Apache, and never *will* install
> >Apache, no matter that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

>       True, however the VAST MAJORITY of computer users USE
>       Apache on a daily basis.

Am I mistaken, or did I write that use via a Web browser is a
completely different issue?

Figures on how many hits Apache servers get per day are useful for
determining their reliability and performance, not their popularity.
Because users are generally unaware of what Web server [daemon] their
browser is accessing, there is zero correlation between a user's
opinion of Apache and whether he (client-side) uses one.

> [deletia]

>       Your position is just as aburd as claiming that OSS 'hasn't
>       delivered' while ignoring sendmail, bind and BSD sockets.

Well, okay, then.  Apache is a killer app.  Where are the scores of
people flocking to Linux so they can run it?

Maybe the problem here is that your apparent definition of "killer
app" is "an app that attracts a lot of people from a niche market that
Unix already dominated."

(Obligatory bad pun: OSS doesn't deliver, but sendmail does.)

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
        - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printing to various deskjets from Linux ?
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:17:30 GMT

Robert Herzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello,
: A colleague of mine intends to reconfigure his NT based network into all
: Linux boxes. The machines must run a decent Office suite, like
: Staroffice, Applixware, etc.
: But each of these PC's presently have their own deskjet printer, ansd as
: you might guess, there is a very heterogeneous stable of these.
: While my choice would be to print on one or a few decent central laser
: printers in PostScript, this is not an option here...
: Can someone recommend which is/are the best option(s) here, in order to
: fully exploit the color/BW capabilities of these printers, including
: which Linux Office package is the richest in this respect ?
: What about the present status of KWord and friends ?
: Herzog

I think the biggest (and perhaps insurmountable) hurdle is going to be
that some/all of these printers MIGHT be the dreaded WINprinter, i.e.,
a printer which uses no normal command language, but which instead depends
on the Windoze drivers to rasterize (or otherwise process) its data stream.
(e.g., the HP 892C we have on the network at work to which I cannot print
anything but smiley faces, hearts, and blobs from the Linux box.)

If this is not a problem, then you should be able to set up the print
spoolers on each machine to use an appropriate Ghostscript driver that
will produce decent (if not superb, your mileage will vary) output on
the HP boxen.

There are some (partial) solutions that reportedly work for some kinds
of controllerless printers, but I've had no experience with any of them
at this point in time.

If you find any good solutions for specific WINprinters that work with
linux, feel free to post your answers!

Good luck!

Fred

 .----    Fred Smith    /
( /__  ,__.   __   __ /  __   : /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/    /  (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__                                 781-438-5471
================================ Jude 1:24,25 =================================

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:12:24 GMT

Mike Keiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: a while ago, I bought a board w/out ps2 support (sigh), and
: strangely enough have been unable to get any mouse to work
: through my serial port.  this applies to both x and the general
: console - apparently my box isn't detecting the thing at all.

: I've tried all the basic solutions, read countless howto's, and
: gotten various friends to help me mess around with some
: interesting serial hacks, but all to no avail.  any ideas?

Is it an AT-format board? One of those boards where you need to use a
bracket with cable attached to hook up the serial port connector (attached
to the bracket) to a pin-block on the motherboard? I've had untold grief
with those things, I've got/had a bunch of them here that just don't
work. Perhaps you've got a bad one.

Assuming you know that DOS's COM1 is LInux's /dev/ttyS0, and COM2 is
/dev/ttyS1, you could troubleshoot further by using a terminal program
(such as seyon, or minicom, or c-kermit). Fire up the appropriate
terminal program, set it to 1200 baud and connect to the serial port
where your mouse is connected. Simply moving the mouse or clicking any
of its buttons should produce a bunch of strange-looking stuff on your
screen. If nothing happens, then it is one of:
-your mouse is broken
-the serial port is broken
-the cable/connector are broken or connected incorrectly.
-you've got the terminal program set up wrong

good luck!

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.unix.admin,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.sys.hp.hpux
Subject: Re: Best Intranet Server + platform
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 11:30:23 +0400

Benjamin wrote:

> Hi !
>
> We are setting an Intranet coast to coast (Canada), I would like to know
> what could be the best UNIX platform

You came here so, Linux!

> to work with and which webserver
> will the best ???

You came here so, Apache!

> We want 1 main server, with 5 mirrors sites in major cities. They will
> be connected with Frame Relay at 128 Kbps.
>
> Their will be about 1600 users for that intranet, and we want a server
> that will hold  Perl, Java (Servlet) and 20 users downloading the mp3
> files (about 500 KB) at the same times.
>
> Thanks ...
>
> BenJ

If you've got a fat budget an alpha can do that nicely.

Ferdinand

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 07:49:12 GMT

On Sun, 21 May 2000 07:21:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:
>
>> >Here are some requirements for a killer app:
>
>> >1. Lots of people have to use it.
>
>>      60% marketshare of the server part of THE current
>>      killer microcomputer app.
>
>I believe you're snipping or ignoring the part where I write that

        No, you're just conveniently redefining killer app so that
        it suits your own argument.

[deletia]

        If you decide to arbitrarily ignore the server part of a
        client/server "killer app" the remaining bit that suits
        your self-serving definition becomes fairly useless.

From: Janet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: assigning IRQs?
Date: 21 May 2000 00:46:18 -0700

Hi,

My video card and ethernet card are using the same IRQ (11, according to
cat /proc/interrupts).  At any rate, the network dies rather frequently,
and the video has some issues as well, so I'm guessing that the shared IRQ
is the problem.  Is there any way to convince one of them to use a
different IRQ?  I looked in my BIOS, but the only IRQ options are to have
them set automatically or to set them all manually.

Janet

------------------------------

From: FyreFiend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Text Based Calendar?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 03:35:08 -0400

Nope,
I was looking for the *BSD program called "calendar". Someone on the
other thread pointed me to a Debian package that had the program I was
looking for.

Thank you anyway!

Lloyd

--
Mind the spam trap. My real address is fyrefiend (at) mac (dot) com.
Flames just get deleted so don't bother.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Restoring LILO after reformatting 98 partition
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 08:08:12 GMT

Kevin Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am using LILO to dual-boot redhat 6.2 and win98, and i recently
> reformatted my 98 partition and lost access to linux.  I was wondering
> how i could boot linux so i could run /sbin/lilo to recover it.  My boot
> disk doesn't seem to work, maybe because I have a separate partition at
> the beginning of the twenty gig drive for /boot, then another partition
> further down for /.
>
> Any help here would be appreciated.

It's not clear why your Linux boot disk quit working.  Try getting a
copy of either 'explore2fs' or 'fsdex2' off the web.  These allow
accessing files in Linux partitions from Win98 or DOS (fsdex2).  Copy
your Linux kernel to the Win partition and use LOADLIN.EXE to boot Linux
from the DOS command line.