Linux-Misc Digest #547, Volume #21               Thu, 26 Aug 99 12:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux success stories (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Password protected web page ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  "unknown" in uname output ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  test (Andreas Delp)
  Re: Help---"Cant create modem lock file"...??? (Linux-Learner)
  Re: VMware - wow! (Jason Pell)
  Re: Linux's birthday? (W.B.Hill)
  Re: Mounting Windows? (Jon Skeet)
  Re: true type fonts ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  fsck.ext2 won't fix this... (experts please apply) (Fred Pishotta)
  optical density software (Anni Hienola)
  Re: Mounting Windows? (SB)
  Linuxconf : web interface ? (NGUYEN-DAI Quy)
  Re: My Linux crashes more often than M$ (DeAnn Iwan)
  Re: mapping network drives (Jayan M)
  Re: Changing core files (Jayan M)
  Re: aquiring REDHAT (Jayan M)
  Re: phplib and phpslash (Tobias Ratschiller)
  Where is "glint" after RH6.0 upgrade?!? ("Steve D. Perkins")
  Re: How do I setup Linux as a POP3 server? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: My Linux crashes more often than M$ (=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Heiki_Kasem=E4gi?=)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Linux success stories
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:45:39 GMT

The "Linux Journal" has reported a number of success stories.
>From memory...
 - A bank in western Canada that uses Linux to frontend their web
   banking facilities
 - A Canadian railroad company that uses Linux cross-Canada to run
   their corporate email network,
 - A US company that uses Linux to run their corporate print services
 - A US CGI company that uses Linux to generate graphics that are
   incorporated into movies (was it 'Titanic'?)
 - A US printing company that uses Linux to run their graphics
   printers
 - A Canadian Aerospace Training company that uses Linux to run their
   flight simulator systems
 - Many schools throughout the US which use Linux to host their LAN,
   email and web services

I'm sure there are more success stories.
Take a look at http://www.linuxjournal.com/

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:31:26 GMT, Javier Fernandez
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Where can I find true success stories of Linux at real enterprises?

>I'm trying to propouse Linux as O.S. for a given project at my company,

>but my boss ask me to sample other enterprises USING Linux. All I find in

>Internet are enterprises selling, developing, installing, consulting,

>giving hot line support, and so on, but not using Linux in real business.

>Do you see the point?

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Password protected web page
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:42:13 GMT

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 03:15:10 GMT, "Claude Viau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been trying to figure out how to secure a web page using .htaccess and
> htpasswd.  Any specific permission must go on the /home/.. folders or on
>the
> folder that is protected.  I always get the same error "Authorization
>failed", as though it couldn't find the path AuthUserFile or something.

In your httpd.conf file, change the <Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs> section
and set "AllowOverride All" or "AllowOverride AuthConfig".

Answers please in this newsgroup!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: "unknown" in uname output ?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:07:41 GMT

If I enter "uname -a" I get some useful information about the active kernel.
What does the "unknown" in the last column mean ?

Answers please in this newsgroup!

From: Andreas Delp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: test
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:56:52 +0200

test

--
====================
Diese eMail wurde ohne die Verwendung von Microsoftprodukten erstellt

------------------------------

From: Linux-Learner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help---"Cant create modem lock file"...???
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:52:57 GMT

I'm having the EXACT same problem so if anyone can answer this, please
CC me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks.

ROOT----more

From: Jason Pell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: athome.users-unix,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VMware - wow!
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:17:10 +1000

==============DD7A0337EDAE54ADC974753A

I was not aware that vmware was claiming to be a virtual machine _OS_,
but just a virtual machine running _within_ an OS.

Your thoughts.

Jason

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/9778

==============DD7A0337EDAE54ADC974753A

I was not aware that vmware was claiming to be a virtual machine _OS_,
has
runs
host
of it can
speed,
in
and
of
why I was
is
not a true

<pre>--&nbsp;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/9778">http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/9778</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W.B.Hill)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Linux's birthday?
Date: 26 Aug 1999 14:09:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Russell Senior wrote:
>Judging by the time-stamps on the files in linux-0.01.tar.gz, it was
>released sometime after 16:30:09 GMT on September 17, 1991.

I hope this is right, 'coz that would make linux a *very* nice, somewhat
slow-to-be-noticed 21st birthday present!

===============\==========================\================================
W.B.Hill        \  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    \
492 Earlham Road \  Home: (+44) 1603 455069 \    "Nothing is idiot-proof
Norwich  NR4 7HP. \  Fax: 0870 054 7508      \    given the right idiot"
United Kingdom     \  Mobile: 0410 781584     \
(+44) 1603 255141   \  Web: http://wbh.org     \ #include <stdisclaimer.h>
=====================\==========================\==========================
PGP-Fingerprint:    B3 6F 2E D6 - B6 48 F1 FB -*- 7C AA 28 0C - 96 61 9A B5

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet)
Subject: Re: Mounting Windows?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:58:26 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> If you want to use the WIN partition all the time
> This is a simple way to do it.
>
> You should (as root) edit your boot.local (or whatever the local init
> file is...)  file to include the command
>

> mount /dev/hda1 /windows -t vfat
>
> DON'T FORGET TO MAKE THE DIRECTORY /windows before rebooting.
>
> cd /
> mkdir  windows
>
> After you reboot you should have your windows partition mounted with
> it's native file system.

That's really not the best way to do it.

Instead, you want to add an appropriate entry to /etc/fstab - that's
where mount information is meant to be stored. If you have the "auto"
flag, then it's automatically mounted on reboot.

Also, you don't need to reboot - just create the directory and either use
the full version (eg mount /dev/hda1 /windows -t vfat) or (if you've
already put it in /etc/fstab) just mount /windows.

--
Jon Skeet - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: true type fonts
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:22:28 GMT

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:49:10 +0200, Klaus Leopold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Is ist possible to use (Windows-) True-Type-Fonts under StarOffice 5.1?
>I´m using SuSE Linux 6.1.

I guess you should install xfstt. It should be on your SuSE CD.

Answers please in this newsgroup!

From: Fred Pishotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fsck.ext2 won't fix this... (experts please apply)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:20:23 -0400

...or at least I can't get it to.

Got a minor problem with the fs consistency on a non-boot
partition of a SCSI drive.  Won't go away even after
running fsck.ext2 (with the -f option just to make sure
it runs).  The following messages keep popping up on the
console about every 10 seconds.

Aug 26 09:46:34 rigel kernel: find_fh_dentry: 08:05,
    1253392/1253443 not found -- need full search!
Aug 26 09:46:44 rigel kernel: EXT2-fs warning
    (device sd(8,5)): ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared
    for block 4334125
Aug 26 09:46:44 rigel kernel: EXT2-fs warning
    (device sd(8,5)): ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared
    for inode 1083435
Aug 26 09:46:44 rigel kernel: find_fh_dentry: 08:05,
    1083435/1083451 not found -- need full search!
Aug 26 09:47:04 rigel kernel: EXT2-fs warning
    (device sd(8,5)): ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared
    for block 5014061
Aug 26 09:47:04 rigel kernel: EXT2-fs warning
    (device sd(8,5)): ext2_free_inode: bit already cleared
    for inode 1253392

You get the idea, and I generally think I know what they mean,
and I've poked around a bit with debugfs, it does look like
there is a repetitive attempt to delete inodes 1253392 and
1033435.

I could back up the partition to tape (if my tape was working
properly), remake the fs on it, and restore files, but I'm
a) trying to avoid that, and b) trying to understand what's
going on in there.

Any suggestions, please?  And/or is there a better way to run
fsck.ext2 than booting stand-alone, unmounting the partition,
and checking it that way?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know.

Fred Pishotta
Mayo Clinic

From: Anni Hienola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: optical density software
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:34:09 +0300

Hello

I'm looking for software that could be used for measuring optical
densities from photographs or scanned x-ray films. In Windows there
exists atleast an old and buggy Tina and then ImageQuant (or something
like that). Have any of these been ported to Linux or has anyone
released anything similar for Linux? A free source would be a surplus.
Net surfing did not give any results.

Anni Hienola

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SB)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:41:25 GMT

If you want to use the WIN partition all the time
This is a simple way to do it.

You should (as root) edit your boot.local (or whatever the local init
file is...)  file to include the command

mount /dev/hda1 /windows -t vfat

DON'T FORGET TO MAKE THE DIRECTORY /windows before rebooting.

cd /
mkdir  windows

After you reboot you should have your windows partition mounted with
it's native file system.

remeber c:\ is now /windows and c:\frogs.txt  is /windows/frogs.txt

If you plan on running some windows apps in linux this is a good way
to do it.

I run eudora, solitaire, freecell, wordpad, notepad, excel97, agent32,
and several other apps in linux.  I was suprised that I could use my
fav OS with some apps I like alot.  And they run well.

------------------------------

From: NGUYEN-DAI Quy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linuxconf : web interface ?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:57:53 +0200

Hi,
I tried :
http://<my server>:98/ but it does not work !
On my browser I see :
"500 access denied: Check networking/linuxconf network access "
I use linuxconf-1.16 on RH-5.2, Apache-1.3.6
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance.
--
NGUYEN-DAI Quy , LTAS-ULG, Belgique.
http://bobo.ltas.ulg.ac.be/~quy

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: My Linux crashes more often than M$
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:12:43 -0400

  Are you overclocking, by any chance?  If so, try turning down the CPU
speed a bit and see if the problem goes away.

------------------------------

From: Jayan M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mapping network drives
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:29:30 GMT

what kind of network drive do you want to 'map'?

If you mean a Netware volume, there is more needed to it.
Remember Linux does not know drives as a:, c:, f: etc..
instead, you just mount a volume as one directory under
your /mnt or anywhere else you prefer.

Back to the original question, assuming netware, and that you have an
ethernet card on your machine, configured right and have a tcp/ip
network
on..
- You need to compile the kernel with IPX support.
- Activate the IPX interface for your network device (eth0 or similar)
  using the commands 'ipx_configure' and 'ipx_interface add  frame_type
eth0'
- insmod ncpfs (unless that's also in the kernel)
- use ncpmount to login and mount your netware volumes to wherever
you need.

If you can post the output of running 'ifconfig', I can give you a more
detailed explanation of how to do this stuff..

Jayan
RonKost wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to map a network drive using RH 5.2
>
> Thanks
> Ron Kost

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer
From: Jayan M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing core files
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:39:50 GMT

don't know how this can be done..

but if you have multiple programs giving you core files,
all the time, methinks, there is something wrong with your machine
or your setup.

Jayan

From: Jayan M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aquiring REDHAT
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:45:17 GMT

I was confused for a moment - 'acquiring redhat'?
who - when - and just after they went public and
was a big hit!

:-)

Jayan

------------------------------

From: Tobias Ratschiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: phplib and phpslash
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:51:59 GMT

> on my system. However, it is only working sometimes. In addition, I
also
> have phpmyadmin to access the slashdot database. When the latter
works,
> phpslash does not. And when phpslash works, phpmyadmin does not for
the
> specific slashdot mysql database. The error I am getting it below:

You're doing something wrong - phpMyAdmin is completely independent
from other code on your system. Have you maybe added phpMyAdmin's
directory to PHP's include_path? You don't need to.

-Tobias

From: "Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where is "glint" after RH6.0 upgrade?!?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:22:19 -0400

        I just finished upgrading my RedHat 5.2 system to 6.0 using the
"upgrade" option... and have just noticed yet another problem
caused by this worthless upgrade.

        I've experimented with "gnorpm" under Gnome and "kpackage" under
KDE... but I always go back to good ol' "glint"... my favorite
application for dealing with RPM packages.  However, now after
this upgrade to RedHat 6.0... "glint" is nowhere on my system!
I've searched the entire filesystem... but it seems that the 6.0
installation program removed it for some reason (is it considered
obsolete these days or something?!?).

        I was wondering if anyone could tell me the name and/or location
of the specific RPM package containing "glint", so that I can
manage to get this tool back on my system again.  Thanks!

Steve

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I setup Linux as a POP3 server?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:55:16 -0500

"Salvador Asturias Jr." wrote:

> Does Linux have everything it needs to setup a POP3 server, or will I
> need to install a separate package for that?  And, how do I do that?  He
> have a couple of POP3 servers running on WinNT at work, and I'm thinking
> that it would be better to let Linux handle that.
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Salvador

imap, which is a standard package, provides a pop server.
We have been using it for pop service to Eudora and fetchmail
clients for years.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Heiki_Kasem=E4gi?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:17:03 +0300

Hi

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, kev wrote:

> I'm convinced there must be one underlying problem, cos Navigator keeps dying
> for no apparent reason, even though I turned Java off - my NN dies if it gets
> near any Java. I have posted many questions about this, received many replies
> and tried every fix under the sun, but I still can't get it to like Java.

>From http://www.redhat.com/cgi-bin/support?faq

Netscape crashes on Java pages (REF#990511-0082)
    I have installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 and Netscape keeps crashing when I
reach a page with Java applets in it. I have also noticed
    that some of my applications do not display fonts correctly.

    What is going on?
    Solution:
    There is a problem in one of the installation RPMS that is causing
many systems to not have a complete list of fontpath for X
    to use.

    To see if this is the problem you are facing, please use the command

    chkfontpath --list

    You should get output that looks like the following:

    Current directories in font path:

    1: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
    2: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled
    3: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled
    4: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
    5: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
    6: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo

    You should then add the 75dpi scaled font to your path list using the
command:

    chkfontpath --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

    This should fix the problem you are seeing.

                   Product: Red Hat Linux/Intel 6.0
              Date Created: 5/11/99 8:29 PM

Ref#: 990511-0082
                  Category: Bugs and other Problems
              Date Updated: 5/17/99 6:00 PM

This helped me. I hope this will help You too.

Rgds, Heiki

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.physic.ut.ee/~cipo/