Linux-Misc Digest #547, Volume #26               Thu, 14 Dec 00 18:13:01 EST

Contents:
  Re: Mandrake 7.2, High security -- cannot su? ("Eric en Jolanda")
  Re: D-Link Networkcard DEF 530TX ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Mandrake 7.2 and Maestro 2 problems (Greg Tada)
  Two kernel versions??? ("Generic User")
  Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2 (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
  How to set /tmp dir for download with Lynx? (GYULAI Mihaly)
  Re: Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2 (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
  mpeg layer 3 wavs (Rick Pasotto)
  Re: RH Linux 7.0 Install Killed DOS -- HOW? (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
  partition problem? can't run lilo (Rick Pasotto)
  system health modules for netfinity? (Paul Thompson)
  Q:Newbie Looking for alternatives from MacroShot ("Richard")
  Problems configuring my Linksys Etherfast NIC. ("Mordak")
  Re: Does anyone know!?!?! (chmod007)
  Re: Need help with script and corn (chmod007)
  Re: What do these characters mean? (chmod007)
  Re: sharing file linux and w2k (John Thompson)
  Re: Moving files w/ same extension (John Wingate)
  Re: ".bz2" extensions ("Dan Jacobson")
  find . -print will correctly display international filenames, whereas find . -ls
won't ("Dan Jacobson")
  Re: Moving files w/ same extension (Frank da Cruz)
  Usability Collaboration with University (Fil Sapienza)
  Re: Q:Newbie Looking for alternatives from MacroShot (Joshua Beard)
  Re: Adding a user via script and via KDE Kmuser... (Bryan Hoyt)
  Re: Can I remove KDE, and keep Gnome? (Bryan Hoyt)
  Re: Linux freeze (Bryan Hoyt)
  Re: Linux freeze (Bryan Hoyt)
  Q:Newbie - Comparing Linux's ("Richard")

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2, High security -- cannot su?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:24:49 +0100

> ]However, twice now, after selecting the 'high' security option, I've had
> ]to reinstall because I cannot log on as root (via su, or otherwise).
>
> Well, it is high security, and su is a potential security hole. You can
> probably log on as root from the console. They probably removed the suid
> bit from su under high security.

There's a good chance that the disabled console logins too.(empty
/etc/securetty)
Then you must be in runlevel 1, to become root.
just enter "linux 1" at the LILO prompt, and you'll be root.
Now you can make it as safe as you prefer.

eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: D-Link Networkcard DEF 530TX
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:17:55 GMT

Ok, I know it is probably is too late to post this, and I'm sorry it took so
long. First off, I started using Slack when 7.1 came out. I have 7.2 now. It
was an option when you intall, but, you can type "netconfig" at the CLI, I
think you may have to be root, and it will present you with a nice ncurses (I
think) menu to set up yr network. But it may be something new with 7.1. I
can't tell ya that. try it and see.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Greg Tada <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mandrake 7.2 and Maestro 2 problems
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:30:21 GMT

When I boot up Mandrake 7.2, it hangs on the sound module. No error
messages, no nothing. After a hard reboot and scan, it loads fine.
Everytime I want to boot up my laptop, I have to boot twice because of
this. Can anybody help this rank newbie?

Thanks so much,
Greg

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Generic User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Two kernel versions???
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:09:19 GMT

Ok. I'm trying to teach myself about linux device drivers so I
compile the following sample code I got from "Linux Device
Drivers" book.

/* In file hello.c */
#define MODULE
#include <linux/module.h>

int init_module(void)           { printk("<1>Hello World!\n"); return 0; }
void cleanup_module(void) { printk("<1>Goodby cruel world!\n"); }

As root, I compile and I get a hello.o file.
  > gcc -c hello.c

To load the module I do
   > /sbin/insmod hello.o

And I get the following error.

     Code was compiled using kernel version 2.4.x
     This is kernel version 2.2.16

How can that be? I use RH 7.0 so I know I have kernel 2.2.16. Where
did 2.4.x come from? Isn't that the development kernel? I did update the
glibc libraries from the rpm I obtained from Red Hat's site, that's it.

Any clues?

-chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:08:22 GMT

So let's see:
lpr-0.50-7mdki586.rpm
cups-1.1.4-3mdki586.rpm
cups-drivers-0.3.6-30mdki586.rpm
samba-2.0.7-18mdki586.rpm
samba-client-18mdki586.rpm
samba-common-18mdki586.rpm
installed ( Mandrake 7.2 ).
I have a printer installed on another Linux box ( Mandrake 7.1 ).
The printer is accessible from an NT box ( but I have to do Find
Computer to see the computer, Network neighborhood can't find
the computer, only thing shared is printer ). I can't find it from
a Win98 box ( but I haven't tried hard, it's a junk/game box ).
LinNeighborhood sees the printer.
But print jobs don't get printed.
( BTW lpc doesn't support restart anymore ).
Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: GYULAI Mihaly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to set /tmp dir for download with Lynx?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:02:44 GMT

When I edit or download a file, a temporary file is being created in
/tmp dir. Unfortunately I have small free space on / (root) partition.

How can I set this to another dir?

PS. is it really necessary to create such file??
(I thought that the editing and the download happen only into memory...)

--
GYULAI Mihaly
http://gyulai.freeyellow.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:13:41 GMT

Sorry, I forgot. I've tried both the web version of the cups
configuration tool, and printtool, both don't fix things.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Pasotto)
Subject: mpeg layer 3 wavs
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:44:36 GMT

Is there an alternative to 'play' that works with mpeg layer 3 wavs?
wavp doesn't complain but I get no sound and the values it displays
don't look like it recognizes the format.

--
"I'm not interested in running for President.  I'm not even interested in
_being_ President.  I'm interested in living in a free society.  And I don't

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
Subject: Re: RH Linux 7.0 Install Killed DOS -- HOW?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:09:49 GMT

Bob Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen) wrote:
>>
>> According to another message you removed the Linux partitions, and now
>> they are there?
>
>Yes.  After removing all Linux partitions, I was able to boot to DOS.
>This proved that *something* was wrong with my Linux partitions but, I
>couldn't determine what that something was.  Then I reinstalled Linux to
>see if the problem was reproducable, which it was.
>
>> Anyway, the partition tables are cyclic. This is a result of the type
>> of the extended partition being wrong.
>
>> Boot to Linux and change the type of the extended partition from 05 to
>> 85 using the Linux fdisk t command. Save the change using the w
>> command. Then the problem is solved.
>
>I made the change and, of course, it fixed the problem.  Thanks very
>much!
>
>As you may recall, I had used the RH 7.0 Disk Druid to create these
>partitions.  Apparently, this application incorrectly typed the extended
>linux partition as extended DOS.  I consider this a pretty serious bug,
>don't you?  Have you seen this type of behavior in earlier versions of
>Disk Druid?  Finally, can you tell me how to execute Disk Druid from the
>prompt?

Nice.

Yes, it is a serious bug. I do however not know Disk Druid so I cannot
answer your other questions.
--
Svend Olaf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Pasotto)
Subject: partition problem? can't run lilo
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:10:24 GMT

I have a P75 machine that was dual boot with a secondary 1G drive. The
primary drive failed so I swapped drives. The 1G drive has a complete
linux system with 2.0 kernel on it but I have to boot it from a floppy.
When I try to run lilo the error message says that lilo doesn't exist
even though it does.  When I look at the partitions using fdisk it
reports that they have different physical/logical endings. Is this a
result of an old bios? Is lilo's problem that it can't/won't write to
the bootsector?

--
"When men are caught in the trap of non-objective law, when their
work, future & livelihood are at the mercy of a bureaucrat's whim,

From: Paul Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: system health modules for netfinity?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:22:17 GMT

I have the cpqhealth servering monitoring software provided by Compaq
running on my Redhat Linux 6.2 Proliant DL380.  Its syslog notification
came in quite handy when a power supply failed on this machine.

I have another Red Hat 6.2 system running on an IBM Netfinity 4000 pizza
box.

Does anyone know if there is a similar system health software available
for that type of machine? Searching the IBM site did not yield anything
fruitful.

cpqw: A Power Supply (Power Supply #2)
 in the Power Supply Bay group is not providing power.
cpqw: Power Supply system
located in Power Supply Bay is no longer redundant.
cpqw: A redundant Power Supply (Power Supply #2)
in the Power Supply Bay group has returned normal.
cpqw: Power Supply system
 located in Power Supply Bay is now redundant.

From: "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q:Newbie Looking for alternatives from MacroShot
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:28:16 GMT

I just read on Corel's web site about adding prog under linux & it mentioned
that it would take effect upon starting the computer again.  I thought linux
didn't need to be rebooted after adding things.  I'm buying a computer &
don't know which distribution I should get (No Win for me, I hate the
crashes & reboots).  Any direction would help.  Please respond via the
newsgroup.

--
Thank You,
Richard Cassidy - Operations

------------------------------

From: "Mordak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems configuring my Linksys Etherfast NIC.
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:29:27 GMT

I have SuSE 7.0 Pro installed. I just installed a Linksys Etherfast Network
card. It has setup instructions for several versions of Linux, not SuSE. I
tried unsuccessfully to configure the tulip.o driver as it stated in the
instructions.

I tried to use YaST and YaST2 to setup the card and "No Network Card Is
Detected" is the message I get. I followed every direction to the letter and
still no luck. What am I overlooking. This doesn't seem
like rocket science, and I'm sure the answer is fairly simple.

I will have it connected to a cable modem with access to the net using
IP-Chains as my firewall. I have read the Ethernet HOWTO and it also says to
use the Tulip drive / module but I just can't get it to work.

The SuSE data base says it is supported as does Linksys.

Please help,
Mordak

------------------------------

From: chmod007 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know!?!?!
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:30:14 -0000

try uncommenting the talk line in /etc/inetd.conf then restarting inetd

From: chmod007 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help with script and corn
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:30:15 -0000

I'm not going to write a script for you but you can simply write a 3 line
script that essentially can just do a ping to the host and just check the
reply also check out www.freshmeat.net

From: chmod007 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What do these characters mean?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:30:15 -0000

print standard error to dev/null or do nothing

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: sharing file linux and w2k
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:04:33 -0600

Andy Heath wrote:

> If I buy a laptop with w2k can I share files between
> linux and w2k some way.  For example, could I have a
> FAT32 partition on the same disk written to by both OS's
> in the same way O can mount w95/8 partitions ?

Yes.  AFAIK, linux's NTFS support is still read-only, but both
NT/2k and linux can read/write FAT16 or FAT32 partitions.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Wingate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving files w/ same extension
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:44:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Frank> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joshua Beard
> Frank> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I was wondering if there is a
> Frank> simple way to move multiple files with the same extension to a
> Frank> new extension, preserving the file's prefix.  For example, if I
> Frank> have file1.abc, file2.abc, file3.abc and want to move them to
> Frank> file1.123, file2.123, file3.123, can i do them all at once?  In
> Frank> DOS I would type "ren *.abc *.123" but I can't find an
> Frank> equivilent for that in Linux.  Please help!  Thank you.

> Frank> ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/scripts/ckermit/changetype

> Running a file transfer utility just to rename a few files seems to be
> a mite of overkill.

> Not that the alternatives don't have some aspects of complexity...
> :-(

> In Korn shell or Bash, you might instead do:

> $ for i in `ls *.abc`; do
> short=`echo $i | cut -f 1 -d .`
> mv $i "$short.123"
> done

In Korn shell or Bash you might also do:

$ for i in *.abc; do
  mv $i ${i%abc}123
  done

No need to involve cut and echo.

--
John Wingate             Language serves three functions.  One is to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     communicate ideas, one is to conceal ideas, and

------------------------------

From: "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: ".bz2" extensions
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:16:36 +0800

"Anders Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ????? news:n6IZ5.7005
> If the file is just named <something>.bz2
>
> the commeand is
> bzip2 -d <something>.bz2

how does one list the files in a .bz2 archive without unpacking?  I see there is
not
the normal -l switch to list contents.  Is that because they are not like
multifile zip archives, but only contain one file, e.g. a tar file which would
then contain
many subfiles itself?  I bet I must pipe output of bzip2 -d into tar -tv...
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ???
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

------------------------------

From: "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,gnu.utils.help,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: find . -print will correctly display international filenames, whereas find .
-ls won't
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:32:06 +0800

I notice
$ find . -print
will correctly display Chinese big5 filenames, whereas
$ find . -ls
won't.

version: the find as found on Mandrake 7.2
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ¿n¤¦¥§

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Date: 14 Dec 2000 22:12:09 GMT

In article <3bb_5.31$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Wingate  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: > > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joshua Beard
: > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I was wondering if there is a
: > > simple way to move multiple files with the same extension to a
: > > new extension, preserving the file's prefix.  For example, if I
: > > have file1.abc, file2.abc, file3.abc and want to move them to
: > > file1.123, file2.123, file3.123, can i do them all at once?  In
: > > DOS I would type "ren *.abc *.123" but I can't find an
: > > equivilent for that in Linux.  Please help!  Thank you.
: >
: > ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/scripts/ckermit/changetype
:
: Running a file transfer utility just to rename a few files seems to be
: a mite of overkill.
:
As you can see, it's not just a file transfer utility any more :-)  Most
people, when they hear "kermit", think of some primitive thing they saw or
heard about 15 or 20 years ago.  A lot has happened since then:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

Now you can think of it as programmable, friendlier shell that is also
capable of making serial, modem, Telnet, FTP and other kinds of connections
and offering a full range of file-transfer, management, and automation
functions as well as acting as a cu/tip/telnet replacement, sending numeric
and alpha pages, translating character sets (including Unicode), supporting
a variety of security standards, etc etc.

- Frank

------------------------------

From: Fil Sapienza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Usability Collaboration with University
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:05:30 -0700

In late January, 2001, the M.S. in Technical Communication
Program at the University of Colorado at Denver will again offer
a semester-length course in Usability Testing (at the graduate
level).   In past courses we provided valuable usability testing
for diverse clients, including (among others) TargetSmart, Inc.
(specializing in marketing software), for the National Renewable
Energy Laboratories (NREL) Website, BioStar (manfacturers of
human virus detection equipment), and for J. D. Edwards Company,
specializing in accounting software, among others. One of the
areas we emphasize in our M.S. curriculum, and that we
particularly focus in this course, is the testing and improvement
of a broad range of online/interactive and hard copy
documentation and instructional material, including (but not
limited to) such things as:

--web sites

--software documentation (including interfaces & help systems),
tutorials & instructions

--documentation for consumer electronics, appliances (VCRs,
stereos, voice messaging answering machines, etc.)

--health hazard/risk disclosures and documentation, such as:

  *warnings on (or inside of) packaging
  *patient package inserts for pharmaceuticals and home care
health products, devices (e.g., syringe kits)
  *proper usage instructions for household appliances, tools,
etc.

--government & consumer legal documentation, such as:

  *tax documentation
  *real estate documentation/forms
  *securities prospecti
  *banking/loan transactions
  *insurance policies/forms

Here's the pitch: For the Spring 2001 course, we are again
inviting both public and private sector organizations to
participate.  We invite such organizations to provide actual
documents, software, and/or other technology for which they would
like user-testing and related comprehensibility evaluations to be
performed in our labs.

All experimental participants that we recruit must sign
non-disclosure agreements as well as participation consent forms
for the university. Organizations who participate are also
required to sign a written letter of agreement with the
department and students at CU-Denver. Organizations must also
provide monetary support for securing and paying user-test
participants and for transcribing audio and/or video data.  There
is also a nominal participation contribution which helps support
upgrades in our lab facilities and scholarships for students
enrolled in the program in technical communication.   Note that
we are interested both in consumer-type documents as well as
documents for more specialized audiences/technicians.   We are
equally interested in online and traditional hard-copy documents,
and in electro-mechanical as well as computer technology
documentation.

If you or your organization think you might be interested in
temporarily supplying such documents/technology to our Program
and obtaining the written results of a highly competent user-test
evaluation--please contact me before December 31, 2000.
Be sure to reply to my personal email at
[EMAIL PROTECTED], not to this list.

Sincerely,

Professor Filipp Sapienza
Technical Communication Program
University of Colorado at Denver
Plaza Building, Suite 102, Room P
Campus Box 176
Denver, Colorado 80217
Phone: 303-556-6209
Fax: 303-556-6018
http://www.cudenver.edu/public/techcomm/index.html

------------------------------

From: Joshua Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:28:53 -0600

>From what I know, this is false information.  The only real time I need to
reboot is after compiling my kernel so it will take affect, but not after
installing software.  You (typically) just unpack, compile, install and then
you're good to go.
        ~ Josh.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Subject: Re: Adding a user via script and via KDE Kmuser...
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:25:00 GMT

Who ever said Jerry Kreps couldn't write what follows?:
>Kmuser allows me to add users using 5 digit numbers.
>When I write a bash script to do the same thing, useradd won't allow it.
>How do I get around that?
>TIA,
>Jerry

Don't use useradd. It's basically just a bash script itself. (Alright, so
it's binary, and probably originally C, but it could have been easily done
with bash.) Just make your bash script slightly lower level. I couldn't give
you a good example off-hand, but look in the files /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow. These contain (I think) all the information a user needs to
start an account.

--

Bryan Hoyt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

===================================

I think...  I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check.
            -- M.C. Escher

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Subject: Re: Can I remove KDE, and keep Gnome?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:25:20 GMT

Who ever said Jim McIntyre couldn't write what follows?:
>Try
>rpm -q kde | lpr

Not on my machine it won't. (RedHat 6.2, rpm 3.0.4). I don't know if you can
use wildcards with rpm. I haven't looked.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Subject: Re: Linux freeze
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:25:39 GMT

Who ever said Michel Catudal couldn't write what follows?:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
>>
>> you have at
>> least consoles 1 to 4 ( F1 to F4 ) in text mode,
>
>wrong!
>ctrl alt F1 to ctrl alt F6
>
>From text mode you type alt F7 to go back to GUI
>alt Fx switches to another console.

Actually, gentlemen, one can set this to what one pleases. RH by  default
has 1-6, you can have up to 64, I think. I have 1-10.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:26:02 GMT

Who ever said Trevor Jenkins couldn't write what follows?:
>Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (in part):

>> > I've seen this. Way too many times, also under HPUX and Solaris.
>
>You've each saved me lots of effort. I've also seen this frequently on
>my RH6.2 system. The freeze usually happens as I return to the X virutal
>console from one of the others, typically a root session. Though I did
>have it happen today when I tried to navigate a 10,000 row gnumeric
>spreadsheet, which I'd text imported.

A similar thing happens to me. I've figured out that it happens when I
switch to a Virtual Console precisely at the same moment as X tries to draw
a window or object of sorts on the screen. It seems to happen most often (if
not solely) with programs using the GTK widget set. Then when I switch back,
I'm fruz. Even the mouse does not move. I cannot kill X, because I cannot
switch away from it. I have not another terminal to login into either. Just
a one-eyed desktop. It takes a good hard reset.

From: "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q:Newbie - Comparing Linux's
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:44:49 GMT

I'm buying a computer & don't know which distribution I should get.  I'll be
learning perl, cgi, and scripting for the web.  Is there a site that
compares the 'up-time' etc. for the different distributions of linux.  Thank
you in advance.  Any tips would help.