Linux-Misc Digest #602, Volume #21               Mon, 30 Aug 99 17:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: VMWare (Windows on Linux)? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (Philip Brown)
  Dynamic Group Creation ?!? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: why not C++? (NF Stevens)
  reverse wget ?? how to upload ("Gabriel")
  any experience on COmpaq smart array 3200 and linux ? (Marco BANO)
  Re: installation from CD-R (Rod Smith)
  Re: why not C++? (Andomar)
  GUI for ppp? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  dump and restore between OS's? (Ben Slusky)
  Re: "unknown" in uname output ? (Mike Tuxford)
  Re: Where is current kernel config file? ("G. Pollack")
  Re: voice recognition on Linux. (Teonanacatl)
  Re: Linux 286 ("Jody Thigpen")
  Re: Video-Beamer and Linux (Teonanacatl)
  Re: I need some help with overall stuff (Warren Bell)
  Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?) (Paul D. Smith)
  Re: Oracle 8.i on linux (SUSE 6.2) - unresolved symbol (Raymonds Doetjes)
  Re: Had it with RH6 (Ganesh)
  Grep text with "/" (Bosco Tsang)
  Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy (Jon Bloom)
  Re: question on modules. (Philip Lehman)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VMWare (Windows on Linux)?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:38:10 GMT

CDRW drives are only supported as CD-rom drive, same with DVD drives.
Their website says that they plan on supporting CDRW and DVD in upcoming
releases.  I don't know if your drive is IDE or SCSI.  If it's SCSI
then your drive will probably still be non-operational.  It might
emulate it as IDE, but I don't know.(Eg.  You may be able to point
vmwares primary slave to /dev/sdc, etc)

Eric

In article <7o74fj$k2t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Boisy G. Pitre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A follow-up question to my post on VMWare running Windows 98 under
Linux:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 30 Aug 1999 16:40:53 GMT

On 28 Aug 1999 18:07:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>reading the posting that I wrote.
>
>I added the supplemental suggestion of volunteering to research
>computer security with a view to a syllabus that would favor neither
>UNIX nor NT, as neither OS should be the focus of the research.

it is almost impossible to do research on "security", without reference to a
specific OS. the results would be almost completely meaningless.

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dynamic Group Creation ?!?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:22:18 GMT

I used Netscape to download some rpm's and I noticed that group id was
set to 505 for these files.  I don't have a 505 group on my system.  Is
this standard behavior?  I thought the group would have been set to the
group id of the person who initiated the netscape session.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:33:26 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman) wrote:

[snip]

>References also cannot be induced to point to NULL in a strictly-conforming
>program, which can eliminate a lot of checking of input conditions (or more
>practically, since most C routines don't check their input parameters
>anyway, can make the use of such routines much more reliable).

#include <cstdio>

char *GetAddress (char &c)
{
        return &c;
}

int main (void)
{
        char *p = NULL;
        printf ("%p\n", GetAddress (*p));
        return 0;
}

Which part of the this program is not strictly
conforming?

Norman

------------------------------

From: "Gabriel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: reverse wget ?? how to upload
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:58:18 -0400 (EDT)

I need to upload a tree to a server over multiple sessions.

So I need something like a reverse wget that will allow:
1. recursive ftp mput.
2. overwite control -- ignore files already existing on the
server.
3. continue sending half sent files.
4. good validation.

Is there anything that does it?

Thanks for reading.
Gabriel

Gabriel

------------------------------

From: Marco BANO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: any experience on COmpaq smart array 3200 and linux ?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:19:26 +0200

WHere I could find driver for my compaq proliant 1600 + smart array 3200
RAID controller?
Compaq support this but .. no way to have pre installed linux..

Someone out there I hope sorted out this problem.

THANKs in advance.

--
Marco BANO
Network administrator Consultant

Office : ++49 6151 807536

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: installation from CD-R
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:22:25 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Olivier) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the RedHat 6.0 from a FTP site and burn it on a
> CD-R. The root of this CD is:
> Anyway, how can I
> install Linux from a CD-R?

See my web page on the subject:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod/rhjol.html

Chances are you're missing some critical files that appear as links on
most ftp sites.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:06:31 +0200
From: Andomar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system

He means the pointer can't be null, like in:

void my_function( char** str ) { ... }

char **i_am_dumb = NULL;
my_function( i_am_dumb );

I.e., with references you can pass a NULL,
but never a NULL pointer.

The equivalent with references is:

void my_function( char*& str ) { ... }

You can see that you cannot fool the new
my_function into taking a NULL pointer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: GUI for ppp?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:15:11 -0400

Is there a way to configure the ppp client to pipe output received by a
remote ppp server to an xterm?  I need to loginto the remote server
using a secure ID password which changes every 30 seconds. It is
impossible to use a scripting method with this password.  I need to
physically type a new password at the remote prompt every time I log
in.?????

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Slusky)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Subject: dump and restore between OS's?
Date: 30 Aug 1999 19:09:34 GMT

Question:
I'm going to switch my Linux box over to OpenBSD soon, so I dumped all
my data onto tape. Only afterward did it occur to me that I might not
be able to restore it. I know Linux dump is just an adaptation of BSD
dump... is it possible to restore a dump from an ext2 filesytem onto
a BSD filesystem?

TIA,
-
-Ben

--
Ben Slusky               | You are a fluke of the universe. You
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | have no right to be here. Whether you

------------------------------

From: Mike Tuxford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "unknown" in uname output ?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:23:41 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:If I enter "uname -a" I get some useful information about the active kernel.
:What does the "unknown" in the last column mean ?

:-----------------------------------------------------
:Answers please in this newsgroup!
:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

:-----------------------------------------------------

  yes, can we get to the bottom of this?  I am easily confused.

burp:~# uname -a && uname -p && head -n 5 /proc/cpuinfo
Linux burp 2.2.10 #1 Thu Jul 29 02:57:44 MST 1999 i686 unknown
unknown
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 5
model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)

  It seems to recognize i686 as shown in /proc/cpuinfo but
does that "processor  : 0"  have something to do with it?

--
  _ _    ____
 //\/\ike ||uxford

From: "G. Pollack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is current kernel config file?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:57:31 GMT

Raymonds Doetjes wrote:

> It resides in /usr/src/linux and is called .config (thats why you can't
> find it its hidden).
>
> Be aware though, that sometimes the suage of on old kernel config file
> will not work!! Sometimes paramters are renamed or removed and then you
> get either a compile error or your system acts strange.

>From /usr/src/linux/README:

CONFIGURING the kernel:

 - Do a "make config" to configure the basic kernel.  "make config"
needs
   bash to work: it will search for bash in $BASH, /bin/bash and /bin/sh
   (in that order), so one of those must be correct for it to work.

   Do not skip this step even if you are only upgrading one minor
   version.  New configuration options are added in each release, and
   odd problems will turn up if the configuration files are not set up
   as expected.  If you want to carry your existing configuration to a
   new version with minimal work, use "make oldconfig", which will
   only ask you for the answers to new questions.

--
Gerald Pollack
Dept. of Biology, McGill University

------------------------------

From: Teonanacatl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: voice recognition on Linux.
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:52:19 -0600

Only one this newbie know of is what is selling with the new SuSE 6.2
distribution.  Check out these sites for possible further info

http://www.suse.com
http://www.suse.de

Best Regards,

--
   __   _
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __

Valentin Guillen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        --------------------
remove capitalized letters to email me
remueve mayusculas para enviarme email

------------------------------

From: "Jody Thigpen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 286
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:05:52 -0500

Thanks for the info.

Jody

news:7qeas7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Teonanacatl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Video-Beamer and Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:41:39 -0600

Klaus,

It is my educated guess that what may work for you is to change your
XF86Config file to put the laptop into VGA mode, which is 640x480 mode
at a 60hz refresh rate.  The actual color depth shouldn't matter.

When you are in text mode on the laptop, you default into VGA mode.
Thus, the machine works witht the video beamer.  A good way to start
might also be to put the laptop into 16 color VGA mode, not 16bit color
mode.  See if the beamer functions correctly. If it does, then increase
the color depth to 256 colors, and then further up if needed.

Now remember that the correct SuSE X server will need to be loaded for
each change in the config file for X, as well as the correct symbolic
links for the changes you make.

I'm fairly confident that this will work for you.

--
   __   _
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __

Valentin Guillen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        --------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:20:09 +0000
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: I need some help with overall stuff

Well, Linux is more of a command line operating system first, point &
click second.  There's a learning curve to get over first but once you
get the hang of it it's easy.

Windows programs won't run on Linux.  There are some emulators out that
will run Windows programs, but from my experience, not that great.
They're are either buggy as hell or slow and sluggish.  This is just my
opinion.

There are a lot of programs like Netscape and WordPerfect8 that are out
for Linux that work great, just like the Windows vertions, and a lot of
companies are starting to make software for Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul D. Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?)
Date: 30 Aug 1999 13:36:39 -0400

%% "Stefan Monnier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  >> I, myself, quite often use temporary pointers to walk through
  >> arrays rather than incrementing a counter and using array indexing.
  >> I actually do it because I find the code simpler to understand that
  >> way, but it's probably faster, too.

  sm> Last time I timed such code, I found out that it was actually
  sm> slower because the pointer manipulation defeated the simple alias
  sm> analysis and prevented some code reorganization, while the more
  sm> straightforward array access was much better understood by the
  sm> compiler (and automatically turned into a temp-pointer walking
  sm> through the array).

As always, this will depend on the compiler.  That's one of my main
points on this thread.

  sm> If code is easier to understand for a programmer, it's probably
  sm> also easier to understand for a compiler, leading to better code.

As I said, as a programmer I prefer the pointer walking method.  It's
clearer to me, esp. in cases (not so rare) where the loop doesn't have a
trivial invariant or increment.

If I didn't prefer it, I wouldn't do it.  That, after all, is another
one of my main points in this thread ;).

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Network Management Development

From: Raymonds Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oracle 8.i on linux (SUSE 6.2) - unresolved symbol
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:37:06 +0200

This is actually a known Oracle bug.
you should install glibc 2.0 also on your system, and download the glibc
patches from the technet.oracle.com site.

Raymond

From: Ganesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Had it with RH6
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:56:40 -0700

I had problems with kppp too, and mine was a fresh RH6.0 install.
I found that it was very important for the pap-secrets file to contain
your username and password. It needs to have an entry like ..

<username>* <password>

This is in case your ISP enforces PAP.

After I did this things worked fine. Of course, I did have to run setuid
on
kpppd.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Grep text with "/"
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:41:28 GMT

I am trying to grep something with the "/" character, said "/job".
However, when I grep it using 'grep -w "/job"', it will pop up a whole
list as follows, where I only want to first one,

369     /job
93      /job/links
92      /job/want
92      /job/employment
46      /job/want/
46      /job/links/
46      /job/employment/
46      /job/
1       /job/links/index.html

Is there any trick that I can grep the correct one?

Please reply via email if possible.

--
No Junk or Commercial Mail Please, Thanks.
This Email Address is NOT FOR SALE by anyone

From: Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Microsoft/Linux Conspiracy
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:09:19 -0400

Chris Mahmood wrote:

> Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > It's possible. There is ample evidence that Microsoft is capable of
> > unknowingly (unthinkingly?) creating security hazards in the software
> > they distribute. One need not infer any malice on their part.
> Normally, I'd agree with you.  But they are *so* incompetent that it's
> fishy.  Certainly "security fixes" are the best way to force users
> to upgrade.

If security flaws were the only deficiencies in MS software I'd agree
with you. But MS OSes are flawed by both design and implementation in
other ways. So if their apparent incompetence is in fact deliberate,
they must have decided to write crappy software in general, not just WRT
security. And that seems unlikely. What's more likely, IMO, is that the
people running MS (Gates, Ballmer et al) are operating with a business
model that is marketing-driven, where quality is secondary to shipping
"new" products (including new OS versions).

And if your purpose is to maximize profit, that's an excellent model.
Most people using computers today have no experience with systems other
than DOS/Windows. Their expectations don't include secure, stable
systems, so why should a company like MS bother to deliver such? Which
explains why MS systems are crappy: they don't need to be otherwise to
be successful in the market.

The way to change that is to change people's expectations. And Linux is
helping to do that, I think.

Jon
--
Jon Bloom, KE3Z
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Lehman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: question on modules.
Date: 30 Aug 1999 18:08:17 +0100

On 30 Aug 1999 05:38:36 -0700, someone claiming to be
peter@question_on_modules_in_linux <peter@question_on_modules_in_linux> wrote:

> in the howto for kernel, it says:
> "9.2 Modules distributed with the kernel
> As of version 2.0.30, most of everything is available as a loadable
> modules. To use them, first make sure that you don't configure
[...]
> my question is: when it says "most of everything", what does it mean?

Well, that most of everything can be built as a loadable module
(instead of putting it in the kernel itself).

> does this mean, I need to say 'NO' to everything in make xconfig? if so,
> what is the point of using make xconfig, if I will answer NO to
> everything?

N: don't build it at all
Y: build it (and include it in the kernel)
M: build it (and build it as a module)

> for example, suppose I have NIC card X. Now, do I NOT select it in the
> network device support section of make xconfig screen? then just
> do make modules? How do I know that make modules will build the needed
> module for that card if I did not select it?
>
> I think I should select it as Module (m option) in make xconfig, then
> do make modules. No ?

Exactely. Of course you want to build the kernel first, then the modules.

# configure (kernel and modules)
make config (make menuconfig | make xconfig)

# some checks & housework
make dep
make clean

# build & install the kernel