Linux-Misc Digest #602, Volume #26               Thu, 21 Dec 00 07:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: alsa (glitch)
  Re: swapon (Christophe GUICHOU)
  ATI Mach64 Framebuffer (Fabio S.)
  Re: Q:Newbie Looking for alternatives from MacroShot (Martin Gregorie)
  Re: not a valid block device (jabba)
  Re: not a valid block device (Paul Colquhoun)
  Re: not a valid block device (Christophe GUICHOU)
  Re: Segmentation fault (core dumped) (Onno Garms)
  Re: not a valid block device ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: mounting HD through ip address? ("ID")
  Re: mounting HD through ip address? ("ID")
  Re: not a valid block device ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Dual processor advantage? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: not a valid block device ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his offline www  browsing? ("Peter
T. Breuer")
  Re: MODEM SPEED; chump kppp retarded it, no? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  redir ("Emmanuel Saracco")
  Re: Setting my hardware clock to atomic clock? (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Logitech doesn't see the difference between a computer and an  (Gilles Cherix)

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:49:51 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: alsa

As a followup I did everything by the book for the installation of
ALSA.  It was actually the fault of their documentation which said to
edit modules.conf. Well, mine was already edited from version .5.9 of
ALSA (using .5.10 now) so I didn't edit it as I didn't need to. I also
had seen, during my troubleshooting, logs that mentioned ALSA was trying
to load the driver for the opla32 driver , or whatever its name is.  I
wondered why or where ALSA got this from. It turned out ALSA had put its
own configuration settings into modules.conf (or maybe they got in there
when I ran alsaconf but I'm not sure if that caused it or not) but at
the end of the file so I didn't know.  After finding that out I replaced
the line that loaded the opl driver and put in its place my driver,
ymfpci.  That did the job and I got to open my mixers.

But the driver for my sound card still has bugs (sound slows way down
and makes any file unplayable) so i have to wait for yet another version
for it to be fixed, hopefully.

------------------------------

From: Christophe GUICHOU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: swapon
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:53:20 +0100

  Look at your fdisk result... your swap partition is : /dev/sda6 (not
sda7)
  Try with this device...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fabio S.)
Subject: ATI Mach64 Framebuffer
Date: 21 Dec 2000 10:00:52 GMT

Hi,
using dejanews I have seen many requests of help with such a subject, but no
solution...:-((

So, the point is: I have an ATI Xpert@Play 98, 4mb, and I compiled, in kernel
2.2.18, the atyfb, and no vesafb. It is not written anywhere that you don't
have to include vesafb: there is no atifb.txt. But there is a matroxfb.txt and
there it is said that including a specific fb you need to avoid the generic
vesa, so I assumed that the same holds for ATI.

Point 1: is this true?

Point 2: which numbers do I need to pass to lilo when it asks for vga?
There are numbers in vesafb.txt (I tried them with a kernel compiled with
vesa and they work for vesa) and there are numbers in matroxfb.txt, which
are different from the vesa's ones. So I guess that the numbers depend on
the fb.
So, which are the numbers for atyfb?

Thanks a lot

Fabio

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Subject: Re: Q:Newbie Looking for alternatives from MacroShot
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:09:16 GMT

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:45:49 GMT, "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thank you. No need to shup up.  I'vd been considering *BSD, Debian, Turbo,
>or SeSu, but I've heard many quirky things about RH 7.

I've recently done a couple of RH 6.2 installs and both were very
smooth. The first was on a vanilla P133 with 6.2 installed as 'server'
on a uni-boot box with a new, empty disk. No problems at all and when
I added a DDS2 DAT tape later that just worked without any kernel
rebuilds, etc. This was my first ever Linux install and I was
impressed; much easier than wrestling with windoze 95 installation and
only one reboot!

More recently we put RH 6.2 on a Compaq box as a dual boot with NT4.
NT4 was pre-existing, so I had to manually define the partitions.
Again this was a 'server' installation and there have been no problems
at all.

I'm using Teraterm and PuTTY as telnet/ssh clients and WS-FTP95 as the
ftp client. All work well. I also have Samba and Apache douing useful
things with remarkably little pain. In fact the only part of 6.2 that
is flaky is the Linuxconf release. Its NIC configuration is part
broken and user management doesn't see 'nobody', but you can easily
work round that.

Martin

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: jabba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: not a valid block device
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:43:42 +0300

Maybe /dev/hdd ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:22:09 GMT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:36:00 GMT, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
|>
|> Hi,
|>
|> After compiling a new kernel, I get this
|>
|> mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a valid block device
|>
|> error after I do
|>
|> mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
|>
|> I didn't find anything mentioning IOMEGA Zip drive in
|> "make xconfig / Block Devices", so maybe I missed something.
|>
|> Help
|>
|> Sent via Deja.com
|> http://www.deja.com/
|
|You have to make a "ext2" file system on the disk.
|
|http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive-5.html#ss5.1

Not if he is mounting it as a vfat file system.

For the original poster:

What does 'ls -l /dev/hdd*' give.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Christophe GUICHOU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:23:05 +0100

  Are "SCSI support" and "IOMEGA parallel port (imm -newer drives)" (in
"SCSI LOW Level Drivers") enabled?

------------------------------

From: Onno Garms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:58:32 +0100

E J wrote:

>        You  can  also  start with both an executable program and a core file
> specified:
>
>        gdb program core

Don't forget to compile with the -g option.

Onno Garms

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:02:27 GMT

It doesn't even give me this option (it must be incompatibe with my
other choices and I can't quite guess which ones)

Thanks

WRoot

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Christophe GUICHOU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Are "SCSI support" and "IOMEGA parallel port (imm -newer drives)"
(in
> "SCSI LOW Level Drivers") enabled?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > After compiling a new kernel, I get this
> >
> > mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a valid block device
> >
> > error after I do
> >
> > mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
> >
> > I didn't find anything mentioning IOMEGA Zip drive in
> > "make xconfig / Block Devices", so maybe I missed something.
> >
> > Help
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "ID" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mounting HD through ip address?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:11:27 +0800

Hello,

ok, with help from one of you..(Nick Ruisi)  i got the "nfs" up and
running..
it was just what i wanted, works perfect.. little glitches thou.

when i access this served-folder from pc(w98) through samba, it does not
allow long filenames(8+characters)

anyone know why?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "ID" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:14:38 +0800

Hello,

i thing this is the NFS that you tried to explain to me below..
i think it works now.. :) but when i access this served-folder from pc(w98)
through samba, it does not allow long filenames(8+characters)

regards
ismet

news:91q8eq$qrm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:10:12 GMT

> What does 'ls -l /dev/hdd*' give.

brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  64 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  65 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  74 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd10
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  75 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd11
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  76 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd12
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  77 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd13
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  78 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd14
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  79 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd15
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  80 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd16
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  66 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd2
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  67 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd3
brw-------    1 me       disk      22,  68 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd4
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  69 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd5
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  70 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd6
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  71 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd7
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  72 Aug 24 05:00 /dev/hdd8
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  73 Aug 24 05:00
/dev/hdd9

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual processor advantage?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:26:53 +0100

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However, in one thread a couple years ago one fellow claimed to
> have tried a _number_ of odd combinations, not only running
> cpu's that were not matched in stepping, but also doing things
> like different clock speeds.  It appeared, from his experience,
> that the requirement for the same stepping might very well be
> overstated.

Yeah, I can verify that (PIII's at least .. different cache sizes,
differerent fabrication .. pretty well everything I tried works as far
as I can differentiate works from not works).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:27:40 GMT

In article <91soeh$sl6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > What does 'ls -l /dev/hdd*' give.

ls -l /dev/hdd4 :

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.netscape,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his offline www  browsing?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:19:31 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[re netscape]
> It would be really handy to go back and look at the stuff that's stored in
> the 19 meg and growing cache file without being on line, although

Doesn't running a squid proxy (or an apache proxy) cache fix even
netscape? I'm pretty sure that you can set squid to behave any way you
feel like, pretty well. Serving out old docs when it can't get
new ones from the net is its _default_ behaviour.

In other words, I think you're just asking "why aren't I using a
caching proxy"?

> would be a good thing.  I hate having a mess of saved files hanging around
> just because I think I might want to look at them again, especially since
> they're already saved in the cache.

What happens if they've been updated since?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Re: MODEM SPEED; chump kppp retarded it, no?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 19:32:06 +0100

In alt.os.linux.mandrake Dan Jacobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And furthermore, I noticed in kppp, gnome-ppp, and linuxconf,
> they _assume_ that one at most would need to squeeze one line
> of a modem initialization string into their glitzy little x-windows

You do. More than one line is never necessary.

> form, where as we see below that whatever win98 was using had
> flexibility to break the initialization string into as several step
> process, _just incase_ it might be better that way.

It isn't. Change your init string as you like. "at&f1" is usually the
best idea!

> Lucent Venus Serial Voice Modem

A lucent? Why, that's a winmodem!

> Initializing modem.
> Send: AT<cr>
> Recv: AT<cr>
> Interpreted response: Ok
> Send: AT &F E0 &C1 &D2 V1 S0=0\V1w0<cr>

Yes, well, after the at&f0  i doubt that anything else is noticed by
the modem. It certainly isn't noticed after atz0.

> Recv: AT &F E0 &C1 &D2 V1 S0=0\V1w0<cr>
> Interpreted response: Ok
> Send: ATS7=60S30=0L0M1\N3%C1&K3B0B15N1X4<cr>

Eccch. Do you really need that? L0 turns off loudness. M1 turns on the
loudspeaker. Point?

S7 probably can be forgotten about. Read the manual yourself.

The rest isn't very interesting. The X4 is very useful.

> Connection established at 57600bps.

> and futhermore, how're ya gonna connect with kppp if you're not
> running x-windows one day. Do the pros use 'pppd'?

They use wvdial. Or less.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Can any1 tell me why I can't print postscript ?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:15:09 +0100

In alt.os.linux.mandrake Bryan Hoyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Who ever said Peter T. Breuer couldn't write what follows?:
>>> I know it works postscript, since I have already used it in the past
>>
>>Offer other evidence. Such as "echo showpage > /dev/lp0" causes a blank
>>page to  be emitted.

> I think he meant that it works with postscript through a filter. Your
> example is useless to anyone, because he said it printed ASCII fine.

My "example" is an experiment that tells him and me whether it "works
postscript" or not. But of course I understand what you mean.

>>> Thing is : file never reach pool when I launch a print command from a
>>> non ASCII origin (like, say "print" in Netscape ...) I suspect the
>>
>>This is irrelevant. "lpr foo.ps" is the same as "lpr foo.txt". It's
>>up to your printer what it does with the result.

> Nope. Up to the filter, if it's a non-PS printer. I have an Epson Stylus
> 600, and it's non-PS, so I'm assuming the 820 is too.

It's up to the filter if he has any filter, whatever his printer.  The
first thing one would like to know is if his printer works, and if it
understands postscript, and if not, what.  After that, one needs to know
if the previous thing in the chain leading up to his printer works,
which is the filter he now tells us he is talking about ...

>>What filter? If it's a PS printer you don't need one and you shouldn't
>>have one!

> But if he does have a PS printer...

Does *not*? I don't know what he has. I need the result of the first
test to tell me that.

>>That you learn to report properly! How come you suspect you have a
>>filter problem and you give us not one single hint of what your filter
>>is or how it is configured? Why have you made not a single test of your
>>filter on its own? A filter is an executable that takes input A and
>>produces output B. What does yours do?

> If he wants help, give it to him. Not everyone is a linux guru. It doesn't
> hurt anyone to tell what he knows, and it really doesn't affect anyone if
> this guy has or hasn't made some checks.

It does. I can't make those checks for him. I can't spend time
hypothesizing possible scenarios that might or might not fit his
situation. I need facts.

What he has said is "my car doesn't work properly", and what we are
discussing is "his garage door is stuck".

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:59:44 +0100

In alt.os.linux.mandrake Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Offer other evidence. Such as "echo showpage > /dev/lp0" causes a blank
>>>page to  be emitted.

>> I think he meant that it works with postscript through a filter. Your
>> example is useless to anyone, because he said it printed ASCII fine.

To elaborate a moment, since BH may have a confusion here: both
postscript and non-postscript printers generally print ascii.  PS
printers detect PS and interpret it as appropriate.  If they don't "get
it" when they see the first few lines of input, they go on to print the
input as ascii all the way through till the end.

This leads to people being able to print reams of postscript source
code on postscript printers veeeery easily ... !

From: "Emmanuel Saracco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redir
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:42:46 +0100

Hi,

We use redir with inetd to redirect requests for 192.168.1.2:80 to
192.168.1.10:80.
It work fine; But a problem occur when I add another ip adress on my
ethernet card - lets say 192.168.1.3.

If I try to do a redirection with this new ip address on port 80 to
192.168.1.20:80, in fact redir do the redirection to 192.168.1.10:80 or say
me that another program is binding on that port.

What is the matter with redir?

Thanks,
Bye

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting my hardware clock to atomic clock?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 06:58:28 -0500

Ulrich Windl wrote:

> Bob Bawcutt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [...]
> > Hi,
> > I'm also trying to have my hardware clock use the net for updates but I'm a new
>bee and
> > therefore limited - for now.
> > I tried the two command mentioned in this thread (rdate & ntpdate) from a Konsole
>but neither
> > command was found. I'm running 7.1 so maybe that  makes a difference.
>
> You were "root", were you? These commands may be is a special
> directory like /usr/sbin, so an ordinary user won't use them by
> default. If you were root, have you checked whether your installation
> media has additional network add-ons? I know this sounds trivial, but
> you said you are a beginner.
>
> rdate is available from many sources. Use a search engine to find some.

I run rdate up to 4x a day from cron. On my Red Hat 6.0 machines, it is
in /usr/bin/rdate and there is a man page for it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:08:56 +0100
From: Gilles Cherix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,es.comp.os.linux,openbsd.misc,linux.debian.user,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.ms-windows
Subject: Re: Logitech doesn't see the difference between a computer and an

BTW don't you know that a Mac is a PC

Yes of course ...

Just another commonly mistakenly used term ...