From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: 6 Sep 1999 16:58:15 -0400

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:52:45 -0700, K. Bjarnason wrote:
>[snips]

>Linux, in whatever flavour, also now offer GUI-based network
>configuration, user configuration and security management tools, as
>well?

network configuration:  yes
user configuration:     yes
security management tools:      Not sure. This is the kind of thing I
                                        always prefer to do by hand.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Shutdown Problem
Date: 6 Sep 1999 18:28:04 -0500

[Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Aren't there temp files that need a place to be written? What if you
> have only a local machine no remote mount you can write them to?

Then you mount /tmp read-write and keep it small enough to be easy to
fsck....  Not a perfect solution, of course.

> I think Linux should have an easier way to be configured so that the
> updatable files do not share partitions with system files that are
> only written at install and patch times.

Why do you think /usr/tmp and /usr/spool are on most Unix/Linux boxes
just symlinks to /var/tmp and /var/spool?  Because someone long long
ago decided to put those things in /usr but others decided that was a
bad idea because it kept /usr from being read-only.  If you mount
/home, /var and /tmp read-write you're pretty much there.

> Also, temporary scratch pad and log files should be easily configured
> to go to a different partition than the one that holds configuration
> files.

All temporary files and log files should be going either into /tmp or
/var.  The issue is making sure /tmp and /var are not in /, which they
are in many smaller systems.  /etc does need to be in / for bootstrap
and recovery reasons (have to read /etc/fstab pretty early...) but /var
and /tmp don't.

> But these files are not updated very often and should be on a
> partition that usually has no uncommitted metadata changes. That way
> a power failure would be far less likely to cause their loss as part
> of a whole partition's metadata becoming corrupted.

Yes.  If /var comes up trashed you lose cron jobs, print jobs, mail
spools, things like that, but you do not lose configuration information
(except with some print spooler packages which use /var/spool/lpd for
some configuration info).

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,alt.comp.hardware,linux.redhat.install
Subject: XGA w/ OS/2 and Linux on laptop
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:00:02 -0400

Greetings!

I'm looking for a new laptop. It looks like I'm going back to Sager
(having somehow blown away my old trusty).

I see some video is designated as XGA.

Does this raise any problems for OS/2 or for Linux?

I note also that a couple run ATI Rage Pro 3D AGP. I have the impression
this isn't good for OS/2 and for Linux; right or wrong?

Thanks loads. I'm probably going to order tomorrow. I'm going to research
ThinkPads a bit tonight but Sager has worked well for me, and the prices
are heavenly. Just worried about compatibility issues.

I really appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. If you have other
laptop suggestions, I'm all eyes.

F.

      Felmon John Davis
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     - insert standard doxastic disclaimers -
     OS/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: Eli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: HP 720c prints the same page indefinetly
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:14:24 +0200

Hi.
I've installed pbm2ppa on my Linux box (RedHat 6.0 kernel 2.2.12)
I have an HP 720c printer.
When I try to print a test page (postscript) the printer prints
indefinite number of copies.

lpq -l returns :

root: active                             [job 004A80pCir]
 /root/daf.ps                     45359 bytes

lprm user root  returns :
dfA004A80pCir dequeued
cfA004A80pCir dequeued

why there are 2 jobs ?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
here is my /etc/printcap :
lp:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/ps.if:\
        :la:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:sf:

ascii:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ascii:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/ascii/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/ascii/acct:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/ascii.if:\
        :la:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:sf:

here is  /usr/local/bin/ps.if :
#! /bin/sh
gs -sDEVICE=pbmraw -q -dNOPAUSE -r600 -sOutputFile=- - | \
/usr/local/bin/pbm2ppa - -

here is /usr/local/bin/ascii.if :
#! /bin/sh
enscript  -p- | \
gs -sDEVICE=pbmraw -q -dNOPAUSE -r600 -sOutputFile=- - | \
/usr/local/bin/pbm2ppa - -

Thanks in advance.

P.S.S
I still cannot print ascii files
lpr -Pascii doesnt work .

any help?

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hotmail anyone?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:43:05 +0100

And verily, didst Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> Well, maybe I'm still a little groggy...  Doesn't hotmail run linux for
> some of its stuff?  If the breakin was a linux issue then it belongs
> here.....

It wasn't. According to the latest from slashdot, it was an incredibly
sloppy cgi script that totally fucked up on user authentication.

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |    "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!     |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |     I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel    |
|             in            |     and get out the puncture repair kit!"      |
|      Computer Science     |        Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf          |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOes *screen* give me more font selections?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:04:30 +0100

And verily, didst Andrew Purugganan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> Spike! ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : And verily, didst J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> : > "screen" has nothing to do with fonts in any way. Screen is essentially a
> : > terminal multiplexer, i.e. a program that allows you to have several
> : > terminals running in one regular terminal (say xterm or a virtual console).

> : And very usefull it is too.
> So it provides me with several logon screens? DO I understand this
> correctly? WHat would a stock Linux distro come with anyway, like a
> limited number of virtual consoles? THanks for explaining...

What it gives you, is the ability create numerous "virtual consoles" in
one using a switching mechanism between them.

Can you run tin, elm, lynx and vim/joe/emacs all in the same telnet session?

Moreover, if you have a task that needs to be completed over a telnet
session, and the network fails for some reason (without affecting the
computer you were connected to), the process will continue to be attached to
the screen, and screen can then be simply reattached to any other machine on
the network by simply telnetting back into the host machine.

One more thing is the ability to detatch the screen manually on one machine,
and reattach on another.

(Say you have something running at the office, and you want to telnet in and
continue uninterupted)...

From: Eric George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bogus BogoMIPS & System Instability???
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:50:26 -0500

Hi,
I have RedHat 5.2 (kernal 2.0.36) installed on a system with an Iwill
MB, Pentium 233MMX CPU, and 16 MB ram.  I've had stability problems with
this system under Linux from day one.  It appears to work fine under
Windows, but crashes randomly under Linux.  Anywhere from hours to days
after boot-up.

So far I've:

Replaced the poer supply (fan was very noisy anyway)
Checked the RAM with the memtest utility
Replaced the CPU (used to have a Cyrix 166)
Rebuilt the kernal
Added an auxiliary cooling fan

With no apparent change in the Linux behavior.

I don't run X on this box and rarely use it interactively.  Anyway, onto
the BogoMIPS...
While looking for clues in the log files in /var/log I found the
following line:

messages.2:Sep  2 21:45:54 moe kernel: Calibrating delay loop.. ok -
466.94 BogoMIPS

Now, my understanding of BogoMIPS is that it is a rough estimate of the
CPU speed for the purpose of system timing, and that it should be
roughly equal to your CPU clock speed (my PPro 200 gives 199.07).  So,
why is this parameter coming out at twice my 233 MHz clock speed.  I am
not overclocking, at least not intentionally.  When the system boots the
bios detects the CPU as a 233 pentium.
Ideas?  Is this a clue to my instability problem?
Thanks
Eric

BTW: Please copy your response to my e-mail.  I don't get on the
newsgroups everyday, so it can get hard to find replies in all this
traffic.

------------------------------

From: "Byron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:12:38 GMT

K. Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
>
> Yes, yes, *you* like command-lines and switches.  So do *I*.  About 98%
> of the desktop users out there do NOT; they want it point-and-click
> easy; compare your method above to "click on setup.exe or the .EXE file
> you just downloaded."
>
> > Of course, now you have the power of a real package management system,
so
> > you might have to learn some other commands.  For example, you can
> > clearnly remove packages, query to see what packages are installed,
query
> > a file to see what package it belongs to, upgrade a package, or even,
> > with a single command, go through a directory (local or on an ftp site)
> > and upgrade all the packages that already on your system, ignoring the
> > other package files.
>
> Seen MSI?  Guess not. Let me give you an overview.
>
> Install designer packages things up in discrete components (help, core
> executables, support files, etc, etc).  All these are packaged into one
> nice, easy to use file, typically.
>
> End user clicks on said file, and up comes the install.  The basic
> install asks about 3 questions, including license acceptance, does it's
> thing, all is done.  If the user chooses "custom" install, he can select
> the various bits and pieces of the app individually.
>
> Not good enough?  Okay.  How about this?  The administrator can also run
> that same installer, albeit with a command-line parameter.  Now he can
> do things such as defining what the user can and can't install, and
> which bits are advertised - essentially, added to the client install
> database in such a manner that they don't suck space until they're
> actually used, then they're installed on demand.
>
> The end-user, however, is largely oblivious to all this; he just clicks
> that there file, answers those same three questions, and voila, done.
>
> Want to see what's there?  Simple; there's a standard location for
> accessing application uninstallation and configuration settings: control
> panel/add remove programs.  Let's take a peek, shall we?  Let's try MS
> Office 2000 as an example.  One might whine "but that's MS; not a fair
> comparison!" except that most MSI-based installs follow the same set of
> guidelines; the one I'm developing at the moment differs from the MS one
> only in one significant manner: the application being installed.
>
> So, anyhow, let's look.  Repair Offce.  Add/Remove Features.  Remove
> office.  Repair is there in case someone else's install went blooey and
> trashed something - it knows what was previously installed, how it was
> installed, whether install-on-demand has fired for any components, and
> refreshes the actual installation on disk the way one would expect.
>
> Add or remove features is much like it sounds; pick the bits and pieces
> you want or don't.  Take, oh, Word.  You can uninstall the whole thing.
> Or just the help.  Or the help and the wizards.  Or individual wizards.

You say this as though it is hard to selectively install the pieces
of a Linux program.  You have the source, you have the installation
scripts, hell most of the time a simple switch to ./configure is all
it takes.

> Not enough?  How about selectable "run locally" or "run from network"

Hmm... In Unix this is easy.  Want to run it locally?  Install it locally.
Want to run it from the network?  Put it on a network drive.  Gee, this is
hard...  With mount points it's all transparent.

> options?  How about "install on first use" - recover disk space for
> infrequently used features, by uninstalling them and only reinstalling
> when you actually need them - if ever?

How much more disk space can be recovered by having the installation files
somewhere accessable so that I can delete them after I've already installed
everything I know I am going to use?

> Keep in mind, all these options are menu selectable and changeable at
> any time.
>
> Also keep in mind that while MSI is not currently widely used - most
> major apps are getting prepped to roll out MSI-based installs sometime
> shortly after Win2K finally ships - the differences between this and
> exising methods aren't all that significant, except that existing
> installs typically only have an "uninstall" option from the control
> panel.

Yes, because with DLL's scattered everywhere doing a simple rm -fr
/path/of/directory/ and doing the same for the executable is no longer
possible, so having the uninstall option is a good thing.

> > Oh yes, if you're afraid of command lines, there are GUI frontends, too.
> > I haven't messed with them, though, as I can use my keyboard.
>
> As can I.  As can most folks with functioning fingers.  What some folks,
> such as you, fail to recognize is *why* GUIs are so popular.  It's not
> that people can't use keyboards.
>
> A computer is a tool to most people, not a hobby.  Most people do *not*
> want to fart around learning 803 different command-line switches and
> trying to remember which apps they're used with.  Most folks want a
> nice, simple, point-and-click interface complete with standardized menu
> locations, commands and so forth for common tasks.  They want this
> because they want to be able to install, run, and if necessary uninstall
> their tools - word processors, spreadsheets, whatver - without *having*
> to know how the system works.

Then they deserve the mediocrity of the software they tend to use.

> The problem with your view of things isn't that command lines are
> inherently bad, it's that you don't seem to comprehend that *not* every
> user is also a developer.  Many users want to *use* the machine, not
> have to understand it - that's *our* job, as developers.  We're supposed
> to make the machine as nearly invisible to the user as we possibly can.

Other than making it possible to market your application to the largest
audience, I never saw any point in this.

> Is Windows perfect in this regard?  Not hardly.  It's simply about 8
> million times better than command-line based approaches.  Apparently
> some of the *nix folks are getting that message, too, since GUI design
> seems to be a big push, and non-GUI but still menu/and/mouse driven
> apps, installers, etc, are becoming more prevalent.

No, I find GUI's to be harder to use for say, configuration tasks.  Under
Windows, if you want to change, say, network settings, you need to go under
Start (or My Computer) -> Control Panel -> Network, select the Properties
for all the network components you wish to change, go through and
check/uncheck all the items under all the tabs that you wish to change, go
through all the menus etc that you need to go through...  This isn't easy to
use.  This is easy to learn how to do, but this is NOT the same thing as
easy to use.  What's easy to use is 'cd /etc' and having everything I need
to change right there.  It is not exceedingly easy to learn what to put in
which files, but it isn't terribly difficult either, and once done it is
much faster and much easier to change these things than it is to even find
where the damned option IS under Windows, plus you get the benefit of having
a clue about what you're doing.  You tell me which is better.

> > Or, you can just use the Windows approach: "Application foo crashes
every
> > time I load it, saying that there's something wrong with bar.dll.  I
> > tried un-installing and re-installing foo, but it still does it.  I
> > wonder where bar.dll came from?  I guess it's time to wipe Windows and
> > begin re-installing everything."
> >

> The only time I've ever had that problem was when the dll file was, in
> fact, corrupt - usually because I had a drive crash.  Mind you, that
> hasn't happened in, oh, 4 years.  So how does Linux handle that?  Does
> Linux contain code that can magically rebuild dynamicly-loaded modules,
> presumably by analyzing what the calling application thinks they should
> do, then re-writing them on the fly?
>
> Oh, I see.  Linux *doesn't* do this any better than Windows, so you're
> simply spewing for the sake of making noise.  :)

No, he is pointing out a very observable Windows-user mentality.  When
things go wrong the solution most users try first is a reboot.  Failing
that, a reinstall, either of the application at fault or of Windows itself.
Usually one of these will work.  The question is why.  How can a production
(in the sense that it is not marked as Beta or Alpha software) system be so
erratic that removing a component and putting it back in exactly the way it
was in the first place solves anything?  We're not talking about updates or
patches here, I am speaking solely of straight reinstalls.  Logically, if
something works the first time, with no changes to the system in question,
it should work again the second time as well.  With no configuration changes
initiated by the user, what is it about Windows that it runs one way (i.e.
with no errors) one time and then the next time you get nothing but crashes?
This experience is completely alien to linux users who run non-beta
software.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 6 Sep 1999 19:37:39 -0500

[Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> I keep saying that the installs ought to treat certain types of
> directories and files as groups whose locations can be aimed at
> particular partitions _as groups_.

> ie be able to say "Put all configuration files on partition xyz" and
> not have to know what are all the file names that are being moved there.

The FHS (IIRC) defines all global configuration files to go somewhere
in /etc.  Things that are per-user obviously go in home directories.
Debian is committed to the FHS and Debian maintainers are responsible
for patching any source that doesn't follow it.  Sounds more or less
like what you want.

Note that /etc normally *must* be on the root partition since
/etc/fstab and the runlevel files/directories are in there.  There are
tricks you could use to get around this, of course.

(This is the big reason Debian can't properly package qmail -- even in
the "non-free" section -- because the license forbits distributing
binaries that don't follow the original config file layout, which of
course does not follow either the FSSTND or the FHS.  Debian instead
has a package "qmail-src" to get around this that gets patched and
built after the fact.)

> I may be mistaken: Aren't there parts of Linux that write temporary
> files in places other than /tmp?

There's /tmp and there's /var/tmp and some packages prefer to use $HOME
as a simple way to avoid temp races, but no software should use
anything else.  When I find software that uses another location (like
the 2-D CAD package CCDraft for AIX/HP-UX) I do the symlink thing.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Help!  I screwed up fstab kernel panics
Date: 6 Sep 1999 20:40:06 -0500

If rescue disk is broken make another.  Red Hat for instance
has rescue image on cd and their ftp site.

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:34:36 -0400,
 Tom Baldridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Help!

..
..
..

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX?
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:19:49 GMT

Indica writes:
> WYSIWYG editors are great for people like myself who maintain large web
> sites.

WYSIWYG HTML editor is an oxymoron.

> I do not agree with your statement that we a person should know HTML if
> they are going to create a site.  That would be in an ideal world but the
> web is full of people who want a site but don't want to learn the code.

And the fact that they can do so despite the fact that they haven't the
foggiest idea what they are doing is one of the major reasons why 99% of
the pages on the Web are crap (another one being the fact that graphic
design rather than library science is considered a suitable background for
a Web page designer).  Most Web pages look like they were "designed" by
someone who thought she was laying out display ads for a women's magazine.

I concede that it might be possible to write an HTML editor that allows one
to create usable Web pages without knowing HTML, but looking around the Web
I see no evidence that such an editor is in use.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 6 Sep 1999 19:26:14 -0500

[M van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Note that journalling doesn't prevent data corruption, only metadata
> corruption. IOW, your filesizes will be correct but the data inside
> the file may be totally wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong: I believe that with journalling, the only data
corruption you can get is to files being modified or recently having
been modified.  Metadata is guaranteed to remain consistent.  If you
haven't changed a file in the last few seconds or since an fsync(), it
will *not* get corrupted.

  [Randall Parker]
> > (my cleaning lady has inadvertently circumvented my UPS protection
> > twice in the last 3 years btw)

You have an important enough setup to use a UPS but you have staff who
don't know you can't just unplug things?   Hmmmm....