Linux-Misc Digest #709, Volume #26                Thu, 4 Jan 01 21:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: lilo.conf ("Jan Geertsma")
  Re: FTP connect does not work in RH6.2??? (William Rhodes)
  Xfree sux, in any form (buckwheat)
  Re: auto run ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  XFree86 4.0.2 killed kdm ("Gerard H. Pille")
  Re: Using Nvidia GeForce 2 with XFree86 4.0.1 (R.Joseph)
  Kernel BUG or hardware problem ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc? ("Jason Bond")
  Re: copy, cut ,paste between netscape and other programs (Stefan Braun)
  Re: Xfree sux, in any form (Brian V. Smith)
  test, please ignor (Lupei Zhu)
  Re: Xfree sux, in any form (Peter da Silva)
  Re: lilo.conf ("Jan Geertsma")
  Re: Preconfigured systems (Mark Post)
  How To Make Modules Load Automatically??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Using Nvidia GeForce 2 with XFree86 4.0.1 ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Printing is sooooo slow... (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?=)
  Scanner (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?=)
  Re: Linux 6.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Accounting software? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Embedded SQL databases for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Printing is sooooo slow... (Michel Catudal)
  Raid re-striping ("Ross S")
  Re: Scanner (Michel Catudal)
  Re: How to stop X? (John =?iso-8859-1?Q?Grundb=E4ck?=)
  Re: Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ? (Michel
Catudal)
  Re: Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  2.4 is out (Was Re: Linux 6.2) (William Rhodes)

From: "Jan Geertsma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo.conf
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:27:51 GMT

slackware has bootdisk images on their site which are pretty great. rawrite
or dd "bare.i" to a floppy and you have an excellent rescuedisk, having a
scsi system search the apropriate bootdisk. alternatively you could use the
redhat installation floppy's and at the end switch console with alt-f2 and
then use that prompt to mount your rootpartition and repair lilo. I always
make a second entry in lilo to always have the old system still bootable
when updating the bootrecord.

btw I use solely Redhat and slackware only for it's neat bootdisks. Redhat
6.2 and 7.0 both should have nice bootdisks tailormade to your system,
although I prefer not to make those...

Goodluck, Jan

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: William Rhodes <wrhodes@[NO]s4r.[SPAM]com>
Subject: Re: FTP connect does not work in RH6.2???
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:48:47 GMT

I hate to mention this, but have you looked at your /etc/shells file?  If you are
using tcsh, for example, then you'll need to add it to your shells file in order to
be able to ftp into the machine.  Either that or chsh to one of the shells that are
listed.

Just a thought.

-B

------------------------------

From: buckwheat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.bsd.misc
Subject: Xfree sux, in any form
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:54:29 GMT

Here's some results of finding good/stable X support for my ThinkPad 770
-

Xfree86 just sux, in any revision.  IMO, making a clear, hassle free gui
for ALL hardware types is a monumental task.  Hell, I've got to admit
Microsoft has done about the best job with this than anyone.  Except for
maybe SGI - but nobody wants to put up with 7000 pompous aholes and
whatever is their "OS of the week".

And MS is about to release an absolutely kick butt font rendering system
that about doubles the "apparent" resolution of screen fonts.  I've seen
it in beta and it's absolutely stunning.  It'll be out with this years
37th new release of win.

All the while, Xfree is still struggling and about 5 years behind Billy
and his billions.  I commend those who support and code Xfree, but the
reality is it's probably the toughest part of any OS to get right.  And
they're so far behind.  There's so much to do, so many hardware
types/variations.  It's scary.

It's also Linux's Achilles heel, it's most troublesome area.  Its most
frustrating part.  The X implementation alone is probably responsible for
80% of discouraged users as they re-format the drive and re-install
Win98.  Just getting a dam browser to work with Xfree that's got readable
fonts is a tall order on any system.

About the only good implementation of X is Xig (www.xig.com).  And
they'll charge you handsomely but it works - boy does it work.  So if I
want a working Xserver that I can see and understand it's gonna be xig.
Yep, I'm gonna plunk down my $150 to xig and do it because the rest of
the free Linux, BSD etc is phenomenally powerful.

And to get to this Linux machine with a usable, modern gui than comes
anywhere close to Winxx, I'm forced to go to a commercial Xserv.  So be
it.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: auto run
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:54:12 -0500

ZippiZ wrote:

> I am using Turbolinux and Debian, I know the way to set the program to
> autorun at startup is the rc.local in Turbolinux, but what is that in
> Debian? Thanks for any suggestion!
>
> ZippiZ

What the fuck is autorun?

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Gerard H. Pille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree86 4.0.2 killed kdm
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:06:38 +0100

Hello,

I installed a binary distribution of XFree86 4.0.2 on a Redhat 6.2
Linux.  Now, whenever I start kdm, the system freezes.

X itself though, runs almost flawlessly.   kdm hangs immediately, xdm
presents me with a login, but freezes after that.  Now and then, I am
able to reboot, most of the times not.

I am using the savage driver, and the kernel is 2.4.0-test11.

Any suggestion will be duly appreciated ;-)

Gerard

------------------------------

From: R.Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Using Nvidia GeForce 2 with XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:52:00 GMT

Ok, well, I fixed the font problem, is this is the error message that I
am getting now.  I think that this is what is causing my X to crash,
because I have gone through the logs a bunch of times and can't find
anything else that would cause a crash.

Here is what I get:

xterm: error in loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open

Thanks for everyone's help!!

R.Joseph

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Kernel BUG or hardware problem ???
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:07:29 -0100

Hello there ...
I am responsable for a server  runing linux ( RH 6.2 kernel 2.2.18 ,
samba 2.0.7 e ) and
since i upgraded the hardware ( pentium 200Mhz 32 MB  to a P III 128 RAM
via chipset )
i started to get severe linux craches and freezes ( i have to  reboot
the machine )

i started by geting this :

Dec 18 10:41:21 netserver kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request
at virtual address 00200000
Dec 18 10:41:21 netserver kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 02e4d000, %cr3 =
02e4d000
Dec 18 10:41:21 netserver kernel: *pde = 00000000
Dec 18 10:41:21 netserver kernel: Oops: 0000
Dec 18 10:41:21 netserver kernel: CPU:    0

Then somebody told me that this could be problems with the DRAM chips
... so i changed the
ram chips for others and i started geting this messages :

Jan  3 11:12:50 netserver kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at virtual address 0000003f
Jan  3 11:12:50 netserver kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 00101000, %cr3 =
00101000
Jan  3 11:12:50 netserver kernel: *pde = 00000000
Jan  3 11:12:50 netserver kernel: Oops: 0000
Jan  3 11:12:50 netserver kernel: CPU:    0

And since i upgraded the hardware i start getting this message to :

Dec 27 04:02:37 netserver kernel: iput: device 03:01 inode 686846 still
has aliases!
Dec 27 04:02:37 netserver kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)):
ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory #654613: inode out of bounds -
offset=44, inode=2751767, rec_len=20, name_len=9
Dec 27 04:02:37 netserver kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)):
ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory #556801: inode out of bounds -
offset=44, inode=2653955, rec_len=20, name_len=11
Dec 27 04:02:37 netserver kernel: iput: device 03:01 inode 687010 still
has aliases!
Dec 27 04:02:37 netserver kernel: iput: device 03:01 inode 475273 still
has aliases!
Dec 27 04:02:37 netserver kernel: iput: device 03:01 inode 327057 still
has aliases!

the harddrive is clean of bad sectors !!!

So ... my doubt is : Is this a RAM problem , a Hard Drive Problem or
motherboard problem ??????????

                                                                   Thank
you !!!

                                                           António Pires

------------------------------

From: "Jason Bond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc?
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:18:45 -0800

How does one trap the output from xdm or kdm or startx or startkde?  It is
failing for some reason and without documentation, I am a loss to figure out
why.  Thanks much.

  Jason

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:14:13 +0100
From: Stefan Braun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: copy, cut ,paste between netscape and other programs

root wrote:

> why can't i copy,cut and paste between netscape and other linux
> applications (e.g. advanced editor). Is there something that can be done
> about it.
>
> Thanks piet

It works for me with mouse button 2 (? the one in the middle).

Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian V. Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.bsd.misc
Subject: Re: Xfree sux, in any form
Date: 5 Jan 2001 00:12:43 GMT

Troll, troll, troll, troll.  Can you say "troll"?

Brian V. Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www-epb.lbl.gov/BVSmith
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL; they don't pay me enough for that.
Check out the xfig site at http://www-epb.lbl.gov/xfig

 To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
 glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
 as it needs to be.

------------------------------

From: Lupei Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: test, please ignor
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:29:43 -0800

test

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.bsd.misc
Date: 5 Jan 2001 00:33:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
buckwheat  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And MS is about to release an absolutely kick butt font rendering system
> that about doubles the "apparent" resolution of screen fonts.  I've seen
> it in beta and it's absolutely stunning.  It'll be out with this years
> 37th new release of win.

I've *got* this on my HP Jornada. It's nothing new... I was doing similar
things on the Apple II in 1983. It's just a special case of color fonts.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: "Jan Geertsma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:22:34 GMT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: Preconfigured systems
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:09:56 GMT

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:23:32 GMT, Philip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does anybody know of companies in the area of Dallas,Tx which sell
>pre-configured Linux systems

Dell does.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How To Make Modules Load Automatically???
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 00:56:18 GMT

Hi

I have an SB Live! sound card, HID USB mouse, and a GeForce DDR. I've
just compiled the 2.4-prelease kernel with kmod support. Some of the
modules load automatically like the 3c59x.o for my 3com ethernet card
because I added the statement "alias eth0 3c95x" to
my /etc/modules.conf

What are the other aliases for emu10k1, mousdev, hid, uhci-usb,
usbmouse, agpgart? Where can I find
them? /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt is pretty detailed but
is lacking in some details like char-major-13-63 and can be quite
confusing. I tried adding "alias /dev/audio emu10k1" but kmod won't
load emu10k1 automatically.

I'm running Debian 2.2r2. I know it's possible to add the module name
to /etc/modules but I'd like to know how kmod works.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 01:57:43 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc R.Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> xterm: error in loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open

install ncurses (and link .4 to .5 if necessary).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?=)
Subject: Printing is sooooo slow...
Date: 4 Jan 2001 23:13:43 -0200

Hi there

I've just installed my HP Deskjet 870Cxi in my Slackware 7.0, but the
printing is soooo slow... Why could this be?

--
(c) André Wagner

    "Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is
humility."
           -- Proverbs 18:12

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?=)
Subject: Scanner
Date: 4 Jan 2001 23:14:19 -0200

It is possible to use a scanner under linux?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 6.2
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:32:02 GMT

spawn> 1.How do i change user, and user password,and root password.
spawn> on a linux 6.2 machine.

On just about any "Unix descendant," the command you should look at is
"passwd."

"man passwd" should tell you about how to use it.

By the way, the latest version of Linux is definitely _not_ 6.2; a
pretty authoritative source of information, <http://www.kernel.org/>,
indicates the following:

 - The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is: 2.2.18

 - The latest beta version of the Linux kernel is: 2.4.0-test12

6.2 is a whopping lot higher than 2.2 or 2.4; I would not expect to
see a "Linux 6.2" until sometime around year 2100.

spawn> 2.Setup DNS on my own server.

See: <http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html>
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Accounting software?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:32:07 GMT

Brian> Hi.  I have been down this road and the most cost effective
Brian> REAL solution for someone wanting a small business accounting
Brian> system for Linux is to get Win4Lin at around $50.  This is
Brian> fantastic, inexpensive LINUX program which enables yo to run
Brian> almost all your Windows programs in a window on your Linux
Brian> desktop.  It is not an emulator.  It requires a legal copy of
Brian> Windows and does some magic to allow Windows to run inside
Brian> Linux.

Brian> I use MYOB here and I can honestly say it is my first really
Brian> pleasant experience with Windows because Win4Lin has somehow
Brian> made it stable.

Brian> All the native Linux programs that I was able to find are
Brian> basically on the level of Quicken and are not suitable for
Brian> business (no invoicing, receivables etc.)  The best of those is
Brian> Moneydance.

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Embedded SQL databases for Linux
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:32:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> jay wrote:
> > I am looking for a database to use for project that I am working on.  I
> > am trying to find an embedded database that supports SQL.  I have looked
> > into Berkeley DB but there is no SQL support.  What else is available?
> > So far, I have found very little.  Thanks.

> There are many: MySQL, PostgreSQL, DB2, Oracle, and Mimer, just to
> name a few. Go to www.slackware.com, click on applications, under
> office click on database.

I think you missed the word "embedded."  Oracle, DB/2, and Mimer are
_decidedly NOT_ "embedded" database systems, as they involve
heavyweight database managers, complete with network infrastructure
and contain things like JVMs.

There are _plans_ for MySQL and PostgreSQL to provide embeddable
variations of themselves, but the plans have not yet been completely
realized.

If the need is immediate, then the gentle user should take a look at
such options as:
a) InterBase
b) The "Solid Embedded Engine"
c) Faircom's SQL engine
d) GOODS, a "free" embedded DB that allows constructing "nearly-SQL"
   queries
e) Various variations on Raima/Velocis

None are necessarily _perfect_ options, but certainly are more nearly
"embedded" than Oracle or DB/2.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html>

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing is sooooo slow...
Date: 4 Jan 2001 19:37:15 -0600

André a écrit :

> Hi there
>
> I've just installed my HP Deskjet 870Cxi in my Slackware 7.0, but the
> printing is soooo slow... Why could this be?

Be more specific.

Before I upgraded from Mandrake to SuSE my printing was extremmely slow. It seemed that
it could take 3 to 5 minutes for a printout to actually start. I'm not sure of the
cause.
My printer is an Epson Stylus 660.

If your problem is not this one the other possibility could be the resolution that you
choose.
If you chose the high resolution then it is likely to be slow. As slow as printing
under
Mandrake, I'm not sure. On Mandrake choosing the high resolution mode would bring the
printing
to a crawl. I have not found any way of getting it to start printing as soon as I
requested.
Considering that the problem went away when I upgraded to SuSE I never looked back.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Ross S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Raid re-striping
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:38:34 GMT

I have a 4x10GB RAID 5 array made up of scsi drives running in software RAID
(Red Hat 6.2). I have another 10GB disk I want to add to the array. How can
I do it so that it save all the data on the current array without needing to
copy is somewhere else? Is there anyway to tell Linux I want to add a drive
and have it re-stripe the data and be done with it?

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanner
Date: 4 Jan 2001 19:40:13 -0600

André a écrit :

> It is possible to use a scanner under linux?

Yes but not if your scanner is on a parallel port except for a very
few scanners that I've never heard of until I looked at the list.
Before I bought my scanner I checked around to see which scanner was
mostly used. I ended up buying a Mustek 600CP that sells a lot at Walmart.
According to the web site on scanners, it is not likely to ever be supported.

If anyone has detailed specifications I would be willing to work on writing a driver
for it.

From: John =?iso-8859-1?Q?Grundb=E4ck?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to stop X?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:48:38 GMT

Joop Muis wrote:

> Try ALT+CRTL+BackSpace
>
> Joop Muis
>
> "John Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > Could someone tell me how to stop the X server from running. I know that
> > > it's possible to "telinit 3" in Red Hat-based disrtibutions. However,
> > > I'm using a debian-based distro, Storm Linux 2.06, and I can't figure
> > > how to do that. Changing the runlevel won't work because my inittab (see
> > > below) has no "Console Mode". Hitting "Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" is also no
> > > use.
> >
> > Are you running xdm to manage logins in the X environment?  If
> > so, CTRL-R will shutdown xdm and leave you at a text console
> > login: prompt.
> >
> > --
> >

> > -John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

You could make a runlevel not use xdm altogether. Is't easy, I choose runlevel
3 to be non X like RedHat. Go to /etc/rc3.d (or what it is called) and remove
SXXxdm links and other links that run X thingies (like fontservers). then copy
the KXXxdm-and-others-you-don't-want-to-run links in /etc/rc6.d to /etc/rc3.d.
You should also read some docs on SysV init. If all goes well you now have a
runlevel completely free of X (you can start it manually ofcourse with startx).

/john

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
Date: 4 Jan 2001 19:46:13 -0600

Arctic Storm a écrit :

> Why did SawFish become default in RedHat, instead of Enlightenment ?
> RedHat 6.2 came with Enlightenment as the default window manager, but in
> RedHat 7.0, SawFish is the default window manager.  Why the change?
> I want to take advantage of XFree86 4's ability to support multiple
> monitors, and only Enlightenment is able to handle multiple monitors;
> SawFish cannot not, yet.  Now I must install Enlightenment.
> Does anyone have any info on why RedHat decided on SawFish as the
> default window manager?

Perhaps the fact that enlightenment sucks might be a factor.
Not that sawfish is a big improvement. I do prefer Gnome's look to KDE
but the frequent crashes got me to turn back to KDE.

I think Gnome is a long way from being stable. I installed helix gnome to find
out that it refused to use my old icons. I said fuck it and switched to KDE.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:55:34 GMT

Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > RedHat is a strong supporter of Gnome.  The initial release of Gnome
> > recommended Enlightenment as it's window manager.  However there were
> > many problems.  Especially with the fact that both Gnome and
> > Enlightenment wanted to provide the same set of features.  A
> > light-weight window manager meant to be used with gnome was needed.
> > That window manager was Sawfish (orginally Sawmill).  Sawfish is now
> > the "gnome" windows manager.  It's a much better fit for gnome than
> > enlightenment ever was.
>
> Except that Sawfish is a little broken...

Ah.  That would explain RHAT deciding to choose it...

[Heh, heh, heh...]
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ac.notelrac.teneerf@" "454aa"))
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
:FATAL ERROR -- YOU ARE OUT OF VECTOR SPACE

From: William Rhodes <wrhodes@[NO]s4r.[SPAM]com>
Subject: 2.4 is out (Was Re: Linux 6.2)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:59:35 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  - The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is: 2.2.18
>
>  - The latest beta version of the Linux kernel is: 2.4.0-test12

Not any more.  2.4 is here:  <http://www.kernel.org/mirrors/>.

Good luck getting a hold of it.

-B