Linux-Misc Digest #709, Volume #25                Sat, 9 Sep 00 14:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Send formfeed to printer? (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  "delete" and וצה dont work (alex k)
  Re: Toshiba Libretto Screen size smaller than X  window desktop (Simon Brooke)
  Re: Glibc 2.1 Locale trouble (Richard J. Freedman)
  Re: Caching files from CD---problem when playing MP3s on CD ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Linux Performance w/ DSL??? (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: Adding RAM to RedHat Linux ("B. Joshua Rosen")
  linux limits ip traffic? ("Brad Hein")
  Re: linux limits ip traffic? ("Brad Hein")
  trouble w. oracle 8.1.6 install ("Michael Talbot")
  Re: Wish for a writable ISO-9660 compatible filsystem ("Les Mikesell")
  Linux on this motherboard? ("David E. Edwards")
  Re: Adding RAM to RedHat Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Overwritten boot diskette! (Leonard Evens)
  Re: How to delete -ash (Julian Midgley)
  Re: Windows: Missing in Action (Leonard Evens)
  Re: How to delete -ash ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: How to delete -ash ("Brad Hein")
  Re: Linux Performance w/ DSL??? ("B. Joshua Rosen")
  Epson Stylus Photo 870 (Emilio Federici)
  Hard disks in Linux (Dave Skinner)
  Re: ASCII File transfer over Ethernet to Mulitport Serial on Linux box? ("Les
Mikesell")

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Send formfeed to printer?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 11:19:06 -0400

noyb wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Sep 2000 07:14:35 -0400, Jean-David Beyer-valinux
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >noyb wrote:
> >
> >> How do I send a formfeed to the default printer?
> >>

> >Normally you arrange that when configuring the printer. Since you did
> >not tell what release you are using, and I am familiar only with Red
> >Hat Linux, I will tell how to do it with RHL.
> >

> >   * In an xterm, as root, type control-panel. A button box should
> >     come up.
> >   * Select the Printer button (third one from the top on my machine)
> >   * Another box should come up. Select your printer from the list
> >     (will probably be only one printer listed).
> >   * Press the Edit button. Edit local printer entry box should come
> >     up.
> >   * Press Select on Input Filter line. A Configure Filter box should
> >     come up.
> >   * Under Printing Options at bottom right, check the Send EOF After
> >     Job To Eject Page box.
> >   * The OK your way out, etc.
> >
> >There is undoubtedly a way to do this with the normal Command Line
> >Interpreter, but I forgot the name of the command.
>
> Thanks for your very fast reply.  I didn't mention my distribution
> because I was really looking for a generic answer.
> However, I have RedHat 6.2.
>
> In dos/windows98 I have a little batch file called TOF.BAT which does
>      echos ^f >prn
> I also have a FF.COM file which loads a 0ch (ctrl-L) into a register
> and does a system print call.  Don't think that would be so easy under
> linux.
>
> I'm really looking for some kind of script that will act like my batch
> file or some way to create a file with only a formfeed in it so I can
>      lpr special_file.

I do not understand why you want that at all. You do not print onto
/dev/lp0 (or whatever) anyhow; you send it to the printer spooler with
something like

cat frammis | lpr

and the printer spooler will convert your postscript (if that is what you
have) to whatever you printer needs (no conversion at all if you have a
postscript printer), and adds the formfeeds at the end automatically.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: alex k <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "delete" and וצה dont work
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 15:15:56 GMT

hello.

i got problems with the deletekey (the one deleting
the letter that the cursor is at, not the letter
before) and the swedish caracters וצה in textmode.
they dont work... delete returns a ~ and the
others just beep.

except... for instance when i use pico or vi.
then it works all right.
howcome?? what does pico and vi do to make
that work?
or alternatively, whats the 'proper' way to make
them work?

in X they also work, except in the xterm where
the same rules apply as in ordinary textmode.

i guess its some xmodmap that fixes things up,
but why doesnt that then apply in xterm?

  / alex k

its a slack7.1. it loads "/usr/bin/loadkeys se-latin1.map"
from rc.keymap.

--
.
.

comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Toshiba Libretto Screen size smaller than X  window desktop
From: Simon Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 15:32:07 GMT

"Roger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi.Im running Red Hat 6.0 on my Toshiba Libretto 100CT.
> The bottom of the desk top (x window) is below the screen.
> I cant acess the bar there.Can someone tell me how to configure?
> Thanks.
> roger.

Here's the one I use:
================================== cut here =================================
#<ITEM>
#<DATE>    1998/05/09
#<NAME>    Takeshi Kaburagi
#<ADDR>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
#<MCN>     TOSHIBA Libretto100 LCD
#<CPU>     Intel Pentium/MMX-166MHz
#<BIOS>    6.40
#<OS>      Linux
#<OSV>     2.0.33
#<XFRV>    XFree86 3.2
#<XFRS>    XF86_SVGA
#<VCHIP>   Neomagic MagicGraph 128ZV+(NM2160)
#<VBUS>    Local-BUS
#<VRAM>    2Mbytes
#<VDEPTH>  8bpp, 16bpp
#<RESOL>   800 x 480
#<LCDSIZE> 7.1 inch
#<LCDTYPE> TFT
#<MISCJ>
#$B2<5-$N>pJs$r85$K$7$^$7$?!#(B
#$B!&(Bhttp://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp/~sanpei/Laptop-X/Fujitsu_FMV-BIBLO_NC313
#$B!&(Bhttp://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp/~sanpei/NOTE-PC/Toshiba_Libretto_100
#$B!&(Bhttp://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp/~sanpei/note-list.html
#$B!&(Bhttp://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~qh4m-ystk/libretto/index.html
#$B!&(Bhttp://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
#$B!&(Bhttp://www2.big.or.jp/~kabu/
#
#$B$^$:(B 128ZV+ $BBP1~$N(BSVGA$B%5!<%P!<$r:n$C$F!"$=$l$+$i$4$K$g$4$g$H(B
# Monitor $B$NCM$rJQ99$7$^$7$?!#$H$j$"$($:(B 800x480 $B$,$G$-$?$N$G(B
#$B?<$/$ODI5a$7$F$$$^$;$s!#(B
#
#</MISCJ>
#</ITEM>
Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc102"
   XkbLayout       "uk"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "PS/2"
   Device          "/dev/psaux"
   Emulate3Timeout 50
   Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Libretto100-LCD"
    VendorName  "TOSHIBA"
    ModelName   "Libretto100"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 37.9
    VertRefresh 50-90
    # 640x400 @ 70 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync
    Modeline "640x480"     25.175 640  664  760  800   480  480  486  488
    Modeline "800x480"     35.26  800  856  1040 1056  480  480  486  488 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline "800x600"     40     800  856  1040 1056  600  600  626  628 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "MagicGraph 128ZV+"
    VendorName  "NeoMagic"
    BoardName   "TOSHIBA Libretto100"
    Chipset     "nm2160"
    VideoRam    2048
    Clocks      25.2 28.3 35.26 40.0
    Option      "override_validate_mode"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "MagicGraph 128ZV+"
    Monitor     "Libretto100-LCD"
    Subsection "Display"
#        Depth      8
        Depth       16
        Modes       "800x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

================================== cut here =================================

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

                        ;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard J. Freedman)
Subject: Re: Glibc 2.1 Locale trouble
Date: 9 Sep 2000 15:59:40 GMT

On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 21:45:08 GMT, NF Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Matthew Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I can't seem to properly set the locale with the glibc-2.1.3 that came
>>with my Slackware 7.1. Though I can change the LANG environment variable
>>and have the other LC variables changed appropriately, programs such as
>>kterm or perl insist in the following manner that the locale cannot be
>>changed:
>
>IIRC you have to compile the locale using localedef which comes
>with glibc.
>
>Norman

Yes ---- but how do you do that? I cannot find any documentation for localedef.
Dick Freedman

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Caching files from CD---problem when playing MP3s on CD
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:13:52 GMT

"Bruce Stephens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> For convenience, I've stuck lots of MP3 files onto a CD.  However,
> when I try playing them using freeamp (say), I find the CD is pretty
> constantly active, which is annoying and wasteful---especially on a
> laptop.
>
> What's going wrong?  Why isn't the 5M or so file just buffered?  Hmm,
> or does file buffering work per block or something?
>
> More importantly, what might I try to avoid this behaviour?  Is there
> some setting I can change to alter the behaviour of this?

Stdio only performs a small amount of read-ahead and buffering doesn't
help until something reads the data.  If you did a 'cat file >/dev/null'
you would force the contents to be read into the buffer and the disk
would not be accessed on subsequent reads until something else
forces it out of the buffer.   If you really want to control physical
access, create a ramdisk and copy there first.

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: Linux Performance w/ DSL???
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:17:31 GMT

On Sat, 09 Sep 2000 13:47:29 GMT, D. Abuan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>How could there be a 30% drop in speed through my network?
>Where is the bottleneck???

Redmond, OR would be my guess. Have you tweaked the RWIN values for the
MS boxes? Duplex mismatch?

--
Hal B

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Adding RAM to RedHat Linux
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 12:36:40 -0400

Have you tried going into the BIOS and turing off plug and play OS? I'm
not sure if that will help for this problem but I've found that turning
off plug and play OS fixes a host of configuration problems. I always
turn off plug and play OS and I've never had to modify LILO. I've got
four systems, with 192, 256, 384 and 512M respectively, Redhat Linux
(I've used 5.2,6.0, 6.1 and now 6.2) finds all of the memory on all of
them.

------------------------------

From: "Brad Hein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux limits ip traffic?
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:35:15 -0400

About one week ago I implimented a new linux server in the house here,
bringing it up to a 3-computer network. The new box serves internet to the
other 2 win95 machines via a 128kbit isdn connection. Before the server was
brought up, and the isdn placed on it, I would get about 11kbyte/second
downloads at any given time. but now that The isdn is on the server, and
internet traffice is being routed through it via ipchains/masqerading I have
only been able to get a peak transfer of 2.5kbyte/second transfer rate per
connection on the internet.
If i open a second simultanious data connection (another ftp session,
www...), it also will get a 2.5k/s transfer speed also. ftp transfers go
just under 5k/second - i'm guessing because ftp uses 2 simultanious data
ports - .

This leads me to believe the problem lies with the Linux server. Is this
possible? and how would it be managing to limit my traffic like this? I
would like to stop it.

* I use the pppd daemon to dialup via pap. it doesn't seem to support
multilink, or compression.

* LAN traffic moves at full 10/100mbit speeds.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions

------------------------------

From: "Brad Hein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux limits ip traffic?
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:40:13 -0400

Sorry I forgot to list my hardware/software:

Linux slakware  7.0
kernel  2.2.13
ipchains  1.3.9
pppd  2.4.0
cpu=Pentium 60mhz
mem=32m
hub=Linkedsys switch (very nice by the way)

------------------------------

From: "Michael Talbot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: trouble w. oracle 8.1.6 install
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:31:46 GMT

I am running Redhat 6.2 and attempting to install Oracle 8.1.6 .

I have attempted to follow the instructions in the installation guide but am
getting stuck:

here is what I have done so far:

I installed the correct JRE per the guide

I set up 2 groups (dba + oinstall)
I added user oracle to primary group oinstall and secondary group dba
I created /u01, /u02, /u03,  /u04
I then chown the dir's to oracle.oinstall

I login in as oracle and start Gnome, from Gnome I start a terminal session
and start the runInstaller program

I get the Welcome screen from Universal Installer , hit next

Now I get the File Locations screen with
source = /download/8161Std/stage/products.jar
path = /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6

hit next and I get the Inventory Location screen which has
/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory

hit ok

I get 'Unable to setup Inventory. You may not have proper permission'

Any help would be immensely appreciated

TIA

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Wish for a writable ISO-9660 compatible filsystem
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:47:55 GMT

"Otto Wyss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> While I was reorganizing my backup (using a CD-writer), I had the idea
> of using an ISO-9660 image file mounted through the loopback device.  I
> soon had to learn it won't work the way I liked since ISO-9660 is simply
> readonly.
>
> I think it's time Linux gets the ability to use writable image files, so
> I'm going to make the following proposition:
>
> 1. Creating a writable ISO-9660 compatible fs (I'm calling it isorw)
> - mounted on a writable device, writing/deleting/etc is possible
> - written on a CD, it should be readable as if it were ISO-9660
> - capable of Joliet and/or RockRigde extension
[...]
> Q: Why ISO-9660 compatible
> A: For archiving puroses (storing and retrieving on CD's for  serveral
> years) there aren't many alternatives. Vfat is one but not very
> attractive to me. UDF might be another in a few year but not now since
> not many computers can read UDF.

Perhaps 'not many' in the sense of not many different OS types, but since
most Windows computers that have a CDRW also have the directcd
software included, there are in fact a large number in an absolute
sense that can do UDF.

> What are you thinking about my proposition? Could this be done or are
> there obstacles I don't see. Is it alltogether not necessary, because
> there's a much better solution?

I assume that the UDF format was designed to be more efficient than
ISO9660 for r/w access, so I think it would be better to support
UDF in the long run.

  Les Mikesell

From: "David E. Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on this motherboard?
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:55:26 +0100

Has anyone had any success at running Linux on the Jet 531 all-in
motherboard or the PC Chips all-in motherbard ranges?
(the ones with on-board video, sound, modem, ethernet).
Thanks in advance
Dave E.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 9 Sep 2000 16:58:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc B. Joshua Rosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Have you tried going into the BIOS and turing off plug and play OS? I'm
: not sure if that will help for this problem but I've found that turning
: off plug and play OS fixes a host of configuration problems. I always

Well, it will solve his problems on about half the boards with that
option. On the other half, turning ON plug'n'play OS will solve them.

: turn off plug and play OS and I've never had to modify LILO. I've got

The problem is that this option has different semantics on different
bioses. On some that I've had, turning it off turns off plug 'n play
support altogether. On some, it turns ON p'np negotiation in the bios
(which is not usually harmful, though it is possible for it to be).

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Overwritten boot diskette!
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 12:01:04 -0500

micromans wrote:

> I accidentally overwrote my only Redhat 6.0 boot diskette and can't get back
> into my system. It is installed on a machine that also has W98, NTWS 4.0,
> and NT Server 4.0. All of these go throught the normal NT boot loader except
> for Linux, which I boot from a diskette.
>
> I tried "\dosutils\rawrite.exe -f \images\boot.img -d a: -n" from msdos mode
> in W98 and created a diskette. This brings up a "boot:" prompt, then goes
> into a RedHat 6.0 installation!
>
> How do I get a diskette that works like before, ie: that points to the Linux
> installation on the correct partition. I think it was hda8 but I'm not sure.
> I have two IDE drives, a 6.4 gig (shows as disk 0 in NT disk administrator
> and as disk 1 in FDISK), and an 18gig (shows as disk 1 in NT disk
> administrator and as disk 2 in FDISK).
>
> The first drive contains Linux, (ie: the 6.4 gig). It has the following
> partitions: 502meg (C: drive for W98 and NT boot loader), 2048 meg (D: drive
> for Win NT), 800meg (games), 800meg (more stuff), 1890meg (Linux RedHat 6.0
> installation), and 126meg (I think this one is the Linux swap partition).
> That means that Linux is the 5th partition on the drive, and the swap
> partition for Linux is the 6th.
>
> How do I make a working boot diskette?
>
> Thanks,
> Micromans

The program you need to run to make a standard boot floppy for
RedHat is mkbootdisk.   The syntax is
mkbootdisk kernel_version_number
But that doesn't help you much if you can't boot.  I think by
far the simplest thing for you to do is to take this opportunity
to upgrade to RedHat 6.2.  The upgrade should give you an opportunity
to make a new boot floppy.  If you are not booting from the hard disk,
you don't want to put lilo in the master boot record, and perhaps
you should just have the upgrade skip lilo.   Don't try this with
RH6.1 becausee there was a bug in the original distribution which
didn't allow you to create a boot floppy during an upgrade.

There are other possible approaches.  If you can find another
system with RedHat 6.X running, you might be able to make
a boot floppy from it.  It should work except it may not have
the same root partition as your system, but entering
linux root=/dev/...
with ... your root partition should fix that.  There may be some
error messages, but all you need is enough of a running system
to run mkbootdisk.

Another approach would be to use a rescue system like Tom's
root/boot disk, recommended by someone else.   With this
you may be able to mount your root partition (and also your
boot partition if it is separate) on created directories  and then run
mkbootdisk from it, but since it wouldn't be the system running
from the resecue system, you would have to use some combination
of options.  I'm not sure exactly what to use and whether it
would work.  Alternately, you could mount the root partition
(and the boot partition if separate) and then use
dd if=your_kernel of=/dev/fd0
to copy your kernel to a floppy.
Of course you have to find your kernel in what you mounted,
and you may find the floppy mounted elsewhere than in /dev,
e.g. as /tmp/fd0.   That is still not enough.  You probably
have to run rdev on /dev/fd0 to tell it what the root partition
is as in
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/...
Here /dev/... probably has to be your actual root partition as
seen from the running system, but I'm not sure.
There is one remaining possibility that I can think of.
Again, using a rescue system, you may be able to create a
lilo.conf file specifying booting from a floppy and then run
lilo.   For this to work, you need to specify your floppy
(as seen by the rescue system) in the first
boot=
line, and you also have to know what your root partition is.
When running lilo, I think you will have to mount your root
and boot partitions and use the -r option for where your
root partition is mounted so lilo can find the root partition.
But this probably won't work if your kernel is beyond cylinder
1024 with the version of lilo you are likely to find in the
rescue system.

Please let us know if any of these measures worked for you.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

Subject: Re: How to delete -ash
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Julian Midgley)
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 17:17:50 GMT

In article <8pdh80$o66$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>David Rysdam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Two things to try:
>
>[snip two or more shell expressions that will expand to rm -foo]
>
>None of these can possibly work. You have a fundamental misconception
>concerning when and what does pattern expansion, and what gets passed
>to the application as a result. You (too) should go read the unix FAQ.
>Run, don't walk, over to comp.answers or your hard disk ...

Alternatively, just try 'man rm'.

--
Julian Midgley
Technical Services Manager              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows: Missing in Action
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 12:07:22 -0500

N/A wrote:

> hello what is the name of that config file where i can add Windows as
> bootable, because windows is installed but right now i only have the
> options to boot FLOPPY and LINUX. .thank you.

That depends in part how your hard disk is organized.  If it is
an IDE hard disk with Windows on the first partition, then
you need to add a section of the form
other=/dev/hda1
        label=win
        table=/dev/hda

The last line is probably not necessary, and you can use whatever
label you want.  If you want windows to be the default system,
put a
default=win
(or whatever your label was) before any of the sections for the
different ways of booting, e.g., linux, floppy, win.
Then run /sbin/lilo.  It should respond by telling you that these
options were added with a * next to the default.

When you boot, you type in the label for the system you want to
boot at the LILO: prompt.  Or you can press the tab key to see
which systems are available and then enter the desired one.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:29:56 -0500

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Barry OGrady quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 14:12:40 GMT
~~ From: Barry OGrady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: How to delete -ash
~~
~~ How can I delete a file called -ash?
~~ When I try rm treats the file name as parameters.
~~
Here are three of the safer ways:

rm ./-ash
rm -- -ash
perl -e 'unlink "-ash"'

anm
--
BEGIN { $\ = $/; $$_ = $_ for qw~ just another perl hacker ~ }
my $J = sub { return \$just }; my $A = sub { return \$another };

------------------------------

From: "Brad Hein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 13:35:04 -0400

rm (and most other programs) have a builtin "option" consisting of a
double-hiphen:
--
which tells the program to stop interpreting options after the "--". so to
delete files starting with hiphens, you could just run:

Even though 1000 other people replied to this msg already, I thought some
people would like to know that this neat little option existed.

------------------------------

From: "B. Joshua Rosen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 13:31:27 -0400

It's Redmond, Washington not Oregon, but otherwise you are right. Goto
the tweaking section of http://www.dslreports.com to see how to fix your
Windows boxes. Linux is optimized right out of the box, Window's is
pessimized right out of the box, that's why you are seeing a 30%
difference. Microsoft has a special team that makes sure that no matter
how hard Intel works the performance of a PC remains the same as the
original 8088 based system.

From: Emilio Federici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson Stylus Photo 870
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 17:44:40 GMT

Hi everybody!, I've recently bought this printer and I'm working on
trying to make it usable under Linux (SuSE 6.2).
I've downloaded and compiled the Gimp-plugin and it works fine; but I
can't understand how to make it work with other software (via lp and
ghostscript).
I've downloaded GNU-Ghostscript-5.50 and compiled with the stp driver
provided with gimp-plugin but I'm not able to set up a good printcap and
aspfilter to make the printer work.
Suggestions, files and links are welcome :-)

Thanks!
--
Emilio Federici
NUOVO INDIRIZZO-> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <- NUOVO INDIRIZZO

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 10:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dave Skinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard disks in Linux

I'm getting a new computer which I want to run Linux on.  Are there any problems with
hard disk sizes under Linux.  Can I set up a 50GB Linux partition or are there any
restrictions I should know about?

Regards
Dave Skinner

Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASCII File transfer over Ethernet to Mulitport Serial on Linux box?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:08:28 GMT

"Frank da Cruz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8pbciv$ib8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Surely someone has tackled this type of task before but I'm unable to
> : find any docs to get me going.
> :
> : I work in a machine shop and the machinery uses ASCII files to control
> : the machine movements. Currently we have the switch box setup to
> : select which Win98 computer sends/recieves to which machine. We'd like
> : to switch to multiport serial devices on a Linux server (where the
> : files will be stored for re-use) to eliminate the problems we are
> : having with the boxes (not a pleasant enviroment).
> :
> You can use C-Kermit; one copy per serial port:
>
>   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html
>
> It's serial communications (and Telnet, etc) software with scripting,
> designed for exactly this sort of application.  The TRANSMIT command would
> be used to send the ASCII files to the machines, taking advantage of any
> available feedbacks (flow control, handshakes, etc) to avoid buffer
overruns
> and other errors.

I'll second this recommendation.  A really nice thing about kermit is that
it
treats the scripted actions to serial ports and sockets the same, so if you
program something to be handled by a direct serial connection now, then
later decide to replace the connection with a terminal server or end point
equipment that talks tcp directly, the only necessary change to the script
is setting up the connection.

  Les Mikesell