Linux-Misc Digest #727, Volume #21                Wed, 8 Sep 99 16:13:15 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Modem Lights applet (Bill Unruh)
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: acurate timing ("Steve D. Perkins")
  Star Office  v    Applix Office 99 (Peter Wagstaff)
  Re: I've got a PCI Winmodem... (James Knott)
  Trouble Ticket System (Matt Starnes)
  My modem think something or somebody is using it ... ("Leopoldo Donati")
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie (Spike!)
  Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX? (Spike!)
  Re: encripted disk (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
  Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
  Re: HTML based Telnet client? (fernando)
  Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution ("Paul E. Bell")
  Re: Does anyone know where to get a complete iso file of Caldera Open Linux? (Isle
Of View)
  Re: Netscape color (Grant Edwards)
  Help - sound card stops working - requires reboot ("Mohamed Hendawi")
  Re: ATAPI CD burning? (Mark Howson)
  Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron... (David C.)
  Re: kppp connects and immediately disconnects with pppd died (Wade)
  HTML editor for Linux (Rene Grothmann)
  Re: I WANT TO DITCH WINDOZE BUT I CANT!!! (Rev. Meowatilla Al' Rashad)
  Re: HTML editor for Linux (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: win95 & linux (Marco Fortunato Scienze Fisiche)
  Re: 3-d plotting (Grant Edwards)
  Re: problems with spaces in directory names (Bill Unruh)
  Re: More browser windows?! (kev)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Modem Lights applet
Date: 8 Sep 1999 16:00:11 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Timothy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>For my 'Modem Lights' applet, I've put 'ifup ppp0' to connect and that
>works fine.  I've also put 'ifdown ppp0' for disconnect, but this
>doesn't seem to work.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks...  :)

killall pppd does just what ifdown ppp0 does, only more efficiently.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: General Rant from a Linux Newbie
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:51:30 +0200

It was the 7 Sep 1999 12:49:21 GMT...
..and Joseph T. Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Also don't rule out the possibility of hardware conflicts and/or user
> error.  Both are common, and every stability problem I've had with
> Linux in recent years turned out to be either (a) hardware, or (b) me
> doing stupid things - or, actually, things I now know to be stupid,
> but which didn't seem so stupid at the time.  ("Gee, my version of
> libc is old; I think I'll upgrade!")

There are funny people who remove libc from their system with RPM and
then wonder why they can't install their package with the newer
version because RPM fails to load libc.so...

Those people then happen to go on-line under Windows and blame Linux
on advoacy groups. That's akin to riding your bike to the Vauxhall
dealership and complaining that you just ripped the motor out of your
Vectra and it doesn't work anymore... :)

mawa
--
Around the corner lives a hacker with a terminal
And on his Web page is a GIF of RMS

------------------------------

From: "Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: acurate timing
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 12:03:56 -0400

> Is it possible to know the time spent by a process into the processor
> with a better accuracy than jiffies (100 jiffies in one second)?

        I hate to sound ignornant, but is that REALLY a technical
term?!?  I had always thought that a "jiffy" was just slang for a
very quick period of time....

Steve

------------------------------

From: Peter Wagstaff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Star Office  v    Applix Office 99
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:10:21 +0100

Hi

I have just started with Linux and would like to transfer some of my
Office 97 applications to Linux and would be interested in any
opinions as to the best Office software to use.  At the moment I use
Access 97 with Excel linked to it for analysing and graphing the data.

I have installed SO but of course none of my VBA code will work so I
haven't had chance to play with it too much yet, and I don't want to
spend too much time on it if Applix Office is a better package.
P G Wagstaff

South Devon,  England

www.seabreez.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott)
Subject: Re: I've got a PCI Winmodem...
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 09:12:53 -0400

David Mitchell wrote:

> I've just bought a V.90 Fax Modem from Microcomputer Research Inc.,
> which I specifically bought on the say-so of the sales bod, who assured
> me that it would work with linux.

Computer store clerks are not allowed to know what they're talking
about.  ;-)

--
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of

------------------------------

From: Matt Starnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble Ticket System
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 12:03:38 -0500

It as gotten to the point at my office where we require setting up a
help desk.  (Finally, no more jumping up every five minutes to fix
somebody's mouse).   Anyhow, I'm looking for some kind of Trouble Ticket
system that can assign ticket numbers and priorities, etc,. This does
not neccessarily have to be web based, but something that works with
MySQL might be nice.  If anyone is aware of such an application for
Linux would you let me know.

Thanks,

Matt Starnes

From: "Leopoldo Donati" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My modem think something or somebody is using it ...
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:14:23 +0100

Please help,
when I query my modem the answer is:
"Sorry... already in use"

Who or what is using it ??? What can I do ???

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 00:58:48 +0100

And verily, didst David Orriss Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> - SuSE: Goes into *wonderful* detail right away about *why* X is
> configured in SuSE the way it is, about run levels ,etc..  And then
> tells you the *wrong* steps when you configure the run level
> (fortunately I'm not a total Linux newbie and was able to figure out
> what the SuSE docs where trying to tell me to do).

But you can do that even more simply in YaST...

Try this....

YaST -> System Administration -> Login configuration

It's that simple to switch between console and graphical login, choose KDM
or XDM AND decide who gets the shutdown button on the display manager...
(root or users)
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a   |
|                           |graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in             |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,that|
|     Computer Science      |       can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++|
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire |

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX?
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:07:44 +0100

And verily, didst Indica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:

> John Hasler wrote:
>
>> WYSIWYG HTML editor is an oxymoron.
>
> Hardly, I suggest you go out and learn some more about high end editors

When he's talking about HTML, WYSIWYG might be the case, but WYSIW (everyone
else) G is totally different.

HTML is a markup language designed to be viewable by anyone, not just the
people who use the same browser the editor was optimised for.

> and site management tools before you make such a statement.  You seem to
> be under the impression that all WYSIWYG editors salughter the code.  That
> simply is not true.

Ahhh, but how can such an editor be truly WYSIWYG when different browsers
render the resulting HTML differently....

(A lot of these so-called HTML editors produce proprietory code or stupid
things like fixed sized fonts or stupidly designed tables)

> Graphic design is an important part of *many* web sites out there today.

Unfortunately...

--
|                           |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: encripted disk
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:12:19 +0200

Camil Coaja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I would like to protect the data on a removable hard disk against
>unauthorised acces from persons who might get phisical access to it.
>
>Is there a way to transparently encript the data writen and decript the
>data read from the drive in question?

Yes. I've found the international kernel patch (http://www.kerneli.org/) to
be quite convenient.

HTH,
Ray
--
Ray Dassen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:53:10 GMT

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:51:30 +0200, Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Around the corner lives a hacker with a terminal
>And on his Web page is a GIF of RMS
>He likes to keep his Sun workstation clean
>It's a clean machine...

To be a clean machine, shouldn't that be a PNG of RMS? :-)

------------------------------

From: fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HTML based Telnet client?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 12:28:47 -0600

I think there is not software to do that.
If you have full access to the machine that is outside the firewall and
you have another port opened you can write a gateway program and run it
in the outside box.

--
=========
Real e-mail: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: "Paul E. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:23:54 -0500

Inge Vabekk wrote:

> Paul E. Bell wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >
> >On the PC, there is no mechanism to define a file which happens to have
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >been saved in text mode with the extension .html as being plain text,
> >based on the lack of an HTML header in the file.  The file will
> >automatically be loaded into whatever program is associated with it,
> nor
> >do I have the choice to override that choice when I right-click on it
> >(once associated, Open With disappears from the menu and Open appears).
> >I have no choice but to find the program I want to open it and load it
> >from that program.
>
> As a matter of fact, there is. Mark a file name, then press a shift key
> and right-click, and the drop-down menu appears.

And, I wonder how many Wintel users know of this?  Why should I have to
use the shift key to add one line to my file menu (I tried it, and
thanks)?  It should be there normally, just in case I want to open a
file with an editor that normally opens with it's own program.  I
shouldn't need to press shift.

> Otherwise, the file extension used as a file identifier is clearly not
> adequate. This is valid for *nix systems as well, although the mechanism
> is rarely used in an OO way like it's done in Windows.
> <digression>
> This said, I would add that the whole structure of files in *nix and DOS
> oriented systems is not very smart. Some file types would give faster
> access, especially random-access files, by being block or record
> oriented (fixed record size). There's no builtin security or redundance,
> not even a simple and straightforward thing like a checksum, in standard
> files. There is, as you say, no additional standard information, neither
> to identify the file, nor to protect it from being used in an
> unauthorised manner (I'm aware of the u/g/o protection in *nix. No such
> thing in DOS/Windows, and NT has its own protection system).
> </digression>

Or even the linked lists of sectors used in the normal Amiga file system
(I could loose the bitmap, Amiga's equivalent of DOS/Windows' FAT
tables, and still recover all my files intact, even if the disk is
fragmented.  I don't know if newer file systems like PFS have that
protection built in.)  [<digression of my own> I once had to rebuild the
FAT tables on a computer I had by hand because a subdirectory I
discovered I needed had all it's FAT table entries zeroed when I used a
certain DOS menuing program to delete it's parent directory, thinking it
was empty.  Of 24 files, 19 were contiguous, all were .zip files, thus
the remaining 5 were unrecoverable, since there was no way to determine
what was in the next sector of the file at the end of the contiguous
area. </digression of my own>]

> >Both systems could benefit from an arrangement where a number of
> >programs could be associated with a number of files, and clicking on a
> >file brings up a menu of those programs to view/run/edit the file with.
>
> I've really never had any problem with starting a program first, and
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> then select which file to work with. I've had a hard time understanding
> why files should need any "association" at all. All too often it's just
> a nuisance (Ever click on a '.reg' file for editing, and got the
> registry updated instead? Not a Good Thing if you're running
> Windows!! -- Oh, well, using Windows isn't much of a GT
> nyway....(+:  ).
> .

Well, some times I am using Find File or Folder, and want to open files
in the resulting list without writing down their location and attempting
to find them once the program loads.  Note that, on the Amiga setup I
described, I don't have a choice of programs, either, but at least it
knows the difference between a .dat file which should load Amiga Frotz,
and a .dat file which should load a database program.  On the other
hand, I can always use the pulldown menus to open a file with anything I
want.

> Although under normal circumstances you don't need to know much about
> your car's intestines, it sure helps the day it stops executing your
> commands in the middle of nowhere. Bill Gates may have had some good
> ideas, but encouraging people to *not* worry about the inner workings of
> their computer system is certainly not among them; at least when you see
> it from the users' standpoint.
>
> Everyone should build their own computer AND install the OS. This would
> take care of some of the mystery that some people (understandably)
> associate with computers.

Perhaps, but for some people I know, it would be a hopeless endeavor.
Some people don't know enough to make sure the thing is plugged in
before they attempt to turn it on, or turned off and unplugged before
they tinker with the innards.  Also, I find that, though it is
interesting to buy used cards to put in my computer and look for setup
information on the internet, not everyone has the time or patience to do
so, or decifer the cryptic answers one sometimes finds.  Hey, let's face
it, some people have trouble building a block house out of Legos(TM).
--
Paul E. Bell    Email and AIM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ifMUD: Helios | IRC: PKodon, DrWho4, and Helios
                      )

------------------------------

From: Isle Of View <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know where to get a complete iso file of Caldera Open Linux?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 17:59:49 GMT

> Im looking for an iso file of Caldera OpenLinux that i want to burn
to a
> cd.

You can get an iso of Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 from ftp.calderasystems.com.

-Jason

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Netscape color
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:54:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Mahmood wrote:
>ORRIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I noticed that the copy of Netscape (4.5.1) that came with my copy of
>> SuSE 6.1, has a black & white heading and icons rather than color like
>> my old Windows version.  It that the way it is, or is there a way to
>> fix it.  I didn't see anything in the options.

>That's b/c you've run out of colors.  Make sure you're running at
>something higher than 8bpp.

On some X Servers (SVGA for example) runnint at 24bpp Netscape
displays mono buttons and stuff.  Switching to 8, 16, or 32bpp
may get the colors back.

WordPerfect has an even worse problem: at 24bpp with the SVGA
server the pixmaps are completely trashed.

The accellerated servers (Mach64 for example) don't seem to
have this problem.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. hubub, hubub,
                                  at               HUBUB, hubub, hubub, hubub,

------------------------------

From: "Mohamed Hendawi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Help - sound card stops working - requires reboot
Date: 08 Sep 1999 11:16:27 PDT

I am having an intermittent problem (4th time in two months now) with the
sound on my RedHat 6.0 linux box.    I'll be playing some mp3 files using
either the mpg123 or xaudio command-line players.  Then the sound will stop
for some reason.  I restart the players but each seems to hang and never
starts playing.   If I try and use another program such as X11amp I get the
same problem.  Even if I try and directly cat a raw audio file to the sound
device it just hangs.

So..  I tried shutting down the sound system "/etc/rc.d/init.d/sound stop"
and restarting it.  That didn't seem to help.   I looked at the modules
loaded into my kernel:

>Module                  Size  Used by
>smbfs                  26232   2  (autoclean)
>tulip                  26208   1  (autoclean)
>es1370                 20796   0
>soundcore               2372   4  [es1370]
>aic7xxx               106928   4

I removed the es1370 and soundcore modules and reloaded them.  That didn't
seem to help.  I removed them again and let them automatically reload on
use.  No change.  BTW, I checked the mixer levels after each change and they
were always fine.  The only that works is rebooting the machine.

I have no idea really what is going on.  My only guess would be something
Samba-related since the last time this happened I was in the middle of a big
copy off of a Samba-served filesystem.  Just a guess though - not sure why
they would at all be related.  It seems like for some reason the
sound-hardware itself gets "stuck" - is there some way to forcibly reset the
sound card at the hardware level? (excuse me if this is a stupid question)

Another problem I seem to have with my sound is that from time to time the
permissions will be reset on /dev/audio, /dev/dsp, etc..  to "644" - even
after I've set them to "666".  This is not as big a deal - and I suspect
that it is completely unrelated but I figured I'll throw out any clues.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can tackle this problem?  Tips
on diagnostic tools to use after the problem occurs would be appreciated as
well.

Here is my system info:

400 MHZ PII
RedHat 6.0 (stock install - no kernel mods)
SoundBlaster 128
LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 LNE100TX
Onboard SCSI (Adaptec 2940U2W) (2 hard drives on it)
Adaptec SCSI 2930 (1 external hard drive)
2 EIDE drives
2 drives are mounted remotely via smbfs

Any help is appreciated.  Please cc me at yohamed AT concentric DOT net.

Thanks!

-Moe

------------------------------

From: Mark Howson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI CD burning?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:41:46 +0100

Alexander Mundy wrote:

> When the system boots, it recognizes my regular CD Reader and my Writer
> about 6 times each.  If it is not too much trouble, could you give me a set
> of steps that I need to take to get the kernel configured and how I go about
> mounting each afterwards?  I am not even remotely close to being a linux
> expert (but trying hard though).

Enter the kernel config again and under 'SCSI support' there is an
option called "Probe all LUN's on SCSI devices". (That's from memory, so
I'm paraphrasing, but it's called something similar). You've probably
got that turned on, so turn if off, recompile the kernel and try again.
It sounds like it's /nearly/ working.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...
Date: 08 Sep 1999 14:13:11 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (OldUncleMe) writes:

> L1 in most pc's cpu is built into to the actual processor, where L2 is
> on the motherboard or on the board to which the cpu is mounted (in the
> case of P2 and P3 intel processors.)  In some other pc processors, L2
> cache is actually part of the cpu package so it is then internal,
> where on the p2 and p3 intel processors it is external (physically) to
> the cpu, being mounted on the cpu's circuit board....

For most of the PII and P!!! chips you're likely to find.

The PII-Xeon, P!!!-Xeon, PII-Overdrive, and PPro processors, however,
have their L2 cache on the same die as the CPU core.  This lets the L2
cache run at the CPU core's full speed, improving performance.  It also
makes the processors substatntially more expensive.

The Celerons with cache (300A and anything faster) also have their 128K
of L2 cache on the same die with the CPU core.  This is why a Celeron
and a PII at the same clock speed perform very similarly - the faster
cache almost entirely makes up for its smaller size.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Wade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: kppp connects and immediately disconnects with pppd died
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:52:49 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Can anyone help, before I lost the rest of my hair?

Everytime I have seen this problem, it has been an authentication
problem with the remote (host) system.

Verify the authentication type and setup kppp appropriately.  If it is
PAP, you will need to make sure the pap-secrets file is built
correctly.  If it is CHAP, make sure the chap-secrets file is built
correctly.  If its neither you will need to use a script.  The best way
to figure this out is to use what someone else already mentioned -
minicom.

If its MSCHAP80, you can do that to, but may need some mods to your
pppd.  Search for MSCHAP in alt.os.linux.caldera.  I posted a long
detailed article about getting this to work several months ago.

If none of the above help, the article I posted (as described above)
also tells you how to debug the ppp session to find out exactly what is
failing.

Good luck..

From: Rene Grothmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: HTML editor for Linux
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:59:17 -0100

I am looking for an HTML editor for Linux. Should do the following
(those are personal preferences, please no flames):

- WYSIWYG (I already have a good source editor)
- Frames
- CSS support
- comfortable publish function

Might be freware, shareware or payware.

Please reply be email too, if you can point me to such a beast.

Rene.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rev. Meowatilla Al' Rashad)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions,rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,alt.horror.werewolves,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose
Subject: Re: I WANT TO DITCH WINDOZE BUT I CANT!!!
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:50:18 -0500

In comp.os.linux.questions, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Why?
>
> <sarcasm>doesn't windows have everything you need?
> and I've heard it's as stable as a rock!</sarcasm>
>
> And my $ .02 to you.. post to every news group that
> your server permits, you get better responses to your
> answers then, and the whole world gets to know you better too..
> ain't that great!
>
> Jayan

You're an idiot, Jayan.

Rev. Meowatilla Al' Rashad
Chairman, National Association for the Advancement of Non-Delusional People

     /\--/\     OFFICIAL ALT.HORROR.WEREWOLVES     /\--/\
    < ^..^ >          BELLOWERS SOCIETY           < ^..^ >
      \~U/                MEMBER # 24               \~U/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: HTML editor for Linux
Date: 8 Sep 1999 18:38:45 GMT

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:59:17 -0100, Rene Grothmann wrote:
>I am looking for an HTML editor for Linux. Should do the following
>(those are personal preferences, please no flames):

I don't think linux is the best place to look for this kind of thing.
If this is your preference, I suggest you boot up Win98 or NT and
Visual Interdev.

>- WYSIWYG (I already have a good source editor)

WebTk and composer are the best here.

BTW, "WYSIWYG HTML" is an oxymoron.

>- Frames

Don't know. But I know you can build forms with it.

>- CSS support

Nope

>- comfortable publish function

man ncftp

>Might be freware, shareware or payware.
>
>Please reply be email too, if you can point me to such a beast.

Read here, post here. Usenet isn't write only

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: Marco Fortunato Scienze Fisiche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: win95 & linux
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:58:26 +0200

I'm install Linux with win95 but on two different prtition. with a boot
disk, or if you have two phisical HDD you may create a switch that change
the Primary master with primary slave (you can open the jumper on the
back of the HDD) and changing in the BIOS the setup of HDD DETECTIN you
obtain two O.S.

Goob Look!

P.S. I'm sorry for my english.

you may write me :" [EMAIL PROTECTED] "

------------------------------

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: 3-d plotting
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:43:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark Hovey wrote:

>Does anybody know a program running under Linux/X that will plot a
>function of two variables f(x,y) and also print it out nicely, perhaps
>as postscript?  I have tried grapher-3d, but that doesn't print, and
>xplot, but xplot won't compile on my machine (RH6.0)--the compile fails
>with multiple errors.

Gnuplot works nicely for me.  It will output PS, EPS, and about
a zillion other formats.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hello. I know
                                  at               the divorce rate among

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: problems with spaces in directory names
Date: 8 Sep 1999 15:23:44 GMT

In <7r4fqo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan) writes:

>bruce ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: tar cf <tarball> `find -newer /touchfile -print`

>: This fails on dirs w/ spaces in the name. For example, instead of
>: tarring /home/user1/App Data/file1.txt, it logs 2 errors: Could not find
>: /home/user1/App & Could not find Data/file1.txt.

Yes, it would. Spaces are special characters to the shell and need to be
escaped somehow.
App?Dir
'App Dir' might work
App\ Dir might also work.

------------------------------

From: kev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: More browser windows?!
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:27:07 +0100

"Stuart R. Fuller" wrote:

> kev ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Why do I have a limit of 2 browser windows on Netscape 4.6?
> :
>
> What causes you to think you have a limit of 2 browser windows?  How are you
> starting browser windows?  I find that if I use "ALT-N", I get as many of them
> as I care to look at.
>
>         Stu

Yep, alt-N works for me too. Thanks.
Previously, I was choosing Navigator from the Communicator menu. This menu option
does absolutely nothing if you already have 2 browser windows open. Bizarre.

- Kev