Linux-Misc Digest #699, Volume #23               Mon, 28 Feb 00 11:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Help, I need some linux advice! (Thomas Amm)
  Re: LINUX GAME: Circus Linux! initial release (v 0.0.0) (Ken Moffat)
  Re: simgle user boot fails :(( (Stefan Cyris)
  Re: Bandwidth (Stefan Cyris)
  Re: logs to floppy + eject for security? (Stefan Cyris)
  FP2000 and .htaccess (Don Stafford)
  Best text editor (=?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Melnitchouk)
  Re: linux freezing up (Edwin Johnson)
  Re: linux freezing up (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Best text editor (Big Daddy)
  Re: Where are printer drivers located? (ndg)
  Re: linux freezing up ("Yasuaki Kudo")
  problem with mount - Help me please... (Thierry BUCCO)
  135GB too big for fdisk? (Reusser Lukas)
  SUID perl scripts? ("Mark E. Drummond")
  Re: Here's why linux programs are so insecure ! (Lincoln Yeoh)
  Re: slocate.cron and cron.weekly Errors (Taylor Hutt)
  Problem using rescue systems with earlier kernels (Leonard Evens)
  Re: RH6.1 Boot disk ! (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Re: Here's why linux programs are so insecure ! (Nickolaus Dekay)
  Re: Parallel Scanner under Linux??? (Larry Ozarow)
  Re: Tyan 1854S motherboard..is it good (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: Non-X GUI? (Allin Cottrell)
  Re: How to set up a Mail-Server for Win95/98 machines ? (Allin Cottrell)
  zipdrive backup problem (Allin Cottrell)
  Re: fail to run bash script (Allin Cottrell)
  Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1] (JCA)
  Re: iBCS module (JCA)

From: Thomas Amm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: Help, I need some linux advice!
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:16:54 +0100

Tandem Guy  wrote:
>Hello.  I'm a C/C++ programmer who's decided it's time to learn UNIX.
>Unfortunately, I don't have access to UNIX at work.  Someone suggested I
>give Linux a try at home.  This seems reasonable, but I have a lot of
>questions.  I'd like to by a PC on which I would run LINUX and LINUX
>only.  What would be the minimum system requirements I'd need?  I'm not
>looking to do much more than some basic C/C++ development.  Also where
>can I get a copy of the OS and does it come with a C/C++ compiler.  I
>know these are pretty basic questions and I apologize if there is a FAQ,
>but I didn't see one.  Thanks in advance for any replies to this post.

for that propose you really need nothing, but ANY Linux distibution and an
internet connection. Your Linux should contain KDE, KDevelopment and the
basic development libs. The basic compiler g++ is
included in any distribution. Actual libraries you will always need, so the
best way to keep up-to date is copiling some state-of-the-art sources and
download the libs your compiler is missing. ;-).
For basic C/C++ programming the (free) KDeveleop environment and debugger
will do it. On the GNU, GNOME, KDE etc pp sites there's enough free stuff and
any programmers' support around.(Linux is living from open source as you
maybe know)
  So you can download a free distribution if you have plenty of times,
or better get some evaluation copies from magazines etc. find the one to fit
you best and eventually buy the one you like best. That shouldn't take you
more than ~50 $.

------------------------------

From: Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.games.video.atari,rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.classic,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: LINUX GAME: Circus Linux! initial release (v 0.0.0)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:26:21 -0800

Neil King wrote:

> Besides,  if you just want to play games buy a Playstation at a sixth of the
> price of a PC.

Now we can start the great Nintendo64/PlayStation/etc... debate ;-)
--
Ken Moffat

From: Stefan Cyris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: simgle user boot fails :((
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:46:35 +0100

hiya

yep...I did it via a boot-cd but the problem isn't solved.
I don't use a password in lilo.conf but I can't login with root @ single
user.
I reinstalled lilo.conf so I'm sure that there's no password but it
doens't work.
Of course when I don't boot single I can login :((

nasty problem

cya
Stefan

------------------------------

From: Stefan Cyris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bandwidth
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:53:23 +0100

Allan K wrote:

> Anybody know of a program that allows bandwidth limiting to allow eaqual
> shares of limited modem download speed?
>
> or a way to limit number of ftp sessions?
just use proftpd

------------------------------

From: Stefan Cyris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: logs to floppy + eject for security?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:55:57 +0100

BjJbMc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you think its a good, or a hairbrained idea, to have log files
> and/or important system info, written to floppy and ejected at some
> point during a suspected attack? No hacker can ever get one's ejected
> floppy to reload itself!
>
> Now, I may be really naive, but I thought this might be another neat
> trick. Or would it result only in a lot of floppy ejection!?
>
> TIA
>
> James.curious guy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
hiya...
...do you think 1,4MB are enough for logfiles and important system-files
?

You could use a boot-cd so none can install backdoors or modifiy your
config-files but everytime you change something you need to burn a cd =)

cya
Stefan

------------------------------

From: Don Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FP2000 and .htaccess
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:51:25 -0500

I have previously asked the question - and I do appreciate the

I am running RH 6.0 Linux with the Apache web-server and Microsoft
2000 FrontPage extensions.
I want to setup a .htaccess file so I can limit access to specific
directories in my web-site to just authorized users.

There is already a .htaccess file in /home/httpd/html because of
FP2000 extensions being installed.
So, if I can allow access to the top-level directory, but restrict all
access to the sub-directories, that is perfectly acceptable, and
actually preferred.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Don Stafford, Director of Information Technologies
UAV Entertainment Corporation
2200 Carolina Place
Fort Mill, SC  29708
803-548-1056  x159               704-940-1056 x159
803-548-2493 - Fax               704-940-3335 (Fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 8371791

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Melnitchouk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best text editor
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:04:50 +0400

What is the best text editor MS-Word like for X ?
Thanx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Subject: Re: linux freezing up
Date: 28 Feb 2000 14:06:46 GMT

Could the problem be amount of memory? Do you have enough RAM and do you
have a large enough swap file/partition and is it implimented? Could the
program you are running have a memory leak - not clearing allocated memory
when finished with it? If none of these is true, then maybe there is a
hardware problem.

...Edwin

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:26:43 +0900, Yasuaki Kudo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I was playing a game for linux and the machine suddenly froze up (as far as
>I could see, even the keyboard LEDs were all dead).  Now with NT, this is a
>rarity and it usually suggests wrong driver or faulty hardware.
>
>I wonder if the same applies to Linux.  How often should I assume Linux to
>die?  Especially when you are playing games.

~   Edwin Johnson ....... [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ~
~        http://www.shreve.net/~elj       ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 28 Feb 2000 09:11:09 EST

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:26:43 +0900, Yasuaki Kudo
<<89dlq7$314$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I was playing a game for linux and the machine suddenly froze up (as far as
>I could see, even the keyboard LEDs were all dead).  Now with NT, this is a
>rarity and it usually suggests wrong driver or faulty hardware.
>I wonder if the same applies to Linux.  How often should I assume Linux to
>die?  Especially when you are playing games.

Linux shouldn't freeze up completely... ever.  I have seen lockups while
playing games, though.  If I start Quake3 and try to set the video mode to
320x200, everything will completely lock up--the video card doesn't
support that resolution and those OpenGL alpha drivers do lots of lowlevel
stuff that hasn't been thoroughly debugged.  An old game, "Spaceboom",
tends to thwack X and leave the keyboard in a very unusable state.  Games
have always tended to do performance-enhancing things that might not alway
splay happily.

If you're worried, compile the "Magic SysRq Key" into the kernel.  Then,
should the machine ever lock up, The magic key combo Alt-Sysrq-S,
Alt-Sysrq-U, Alt-Sysrq-B should reboot everything semi-sanely.

BTW, don't post MIME-encoded things to Usenet.  Everyone can read plain
text, not everyone can read that MIME crud without annoyance.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

------------------------------

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best text editor
Date: 28 Feb 2000 14:15:14 GMT

Scribbling furiously, St=E9phane Melnitchouk managed to write....
: What is the best text editor MS-Word like for X ?

MS Word is much more than a text editor... If you want a plain 'n' simple
(more or less) text editor, there are plenty of free ones... search text
editor on freshmeat.net.  However, if you want a _word processer_ (a la
MS Word), you'll have fewer options, but several, nonetheless.  StarOffice=
,
Applixware, and several other smaller variants.....

--=20
Big Daddy

Why not have your cake and eat it too - it's cake, what else are
you going to do with it?

------------------------------

From: ndg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where are printer drivers located?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:26:56 GMT

I wanted to try to use the WP print driver with Netscape and Acroread.
Will that work if I copy the wp driver into the other directories?
I'll try that.
Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Yasuaki Kudo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:35:30 +0900

Thanks guys for all the help.
> If you're worried, compile the "Magic SysRq Key" into the kernel.  Then,
> should the machine ever lock up, The magic key combo Alt-Sysrq-S,
> Alt-Sysrq-U, Alt-Sysrq-B should reboot everything semi-sanely.
This looks quite good.  thanks I'll try.

> BTW, don't post MIME-encoded things to Usenet.  Everyone can read plain
> text, not everyone can read that MIME crud without annoyance.

I'm sorry I didn't know that.  I use Outlook Express and I can choose either
MIME or UUENCODE.  but it says UUENCODE is for encryption.  Mine is Japanese
version so that maybe adding some aditional headers...

Yasu

------------------------------

From: Thierry BUCCO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with mount - Help me please...
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 06:46:01 -0800

Hi,

I have a little problem :

I have a program which do this :

1- retrieve datas and put it into file into a directory
2- When the directory has a certain size, this one is write into a cdrom
(with cdrecord).
3- Then, i verify the session (the cdrom is not finalised) :
    - i mount the cdrom
    - i compare the file present in the directory with this one present on
    the cdrom, (with md5sum).
    - i unmount the cdrom

i go in first step...

With a 2.0.36 kernel it work fine, but now with the new 2.2.13 kernel, i
have this problem.

The first session is OK, but after that one, i have a problem at the time of
verification. : md5sum : no such file or directory.

I guess when the cdrom is mounted twice, the second session is not read into
cd, and i see only the first session. Because after errors, i have manually
mounted the cd and i have seen the last session, so i have unmounted the
cdrom, ejected it, an mounted it again, and here i have seen my good files.

What is the problem...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thierry - FRANCE

------------------------------

From: Reusser Lukas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 135GB too big for fdisk?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:57:41 +0100

Hi

I have a 135GB RAID-Array on a Mylex DAC960PD-3.
When I start "fdisk /dev/rd/c0d2" and create a new partition, fdisk only
see 3.6GB!

What is the problem?

My system:
Dual Celeron 433MHz
256MB PC100 RAM
Mylex DAC960PD-3 (Firmware 3.51)
Adaptec 2940UW
RedHat 6.1 (i386)

Thanx

Luke

------------------------------

From: "Mark E. Drummond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SUID perl scripts?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:01:23 -0500

Hi all. The build of perl that ships with Slackware 7 apparently does
not support SUID perl scripts. I am trying to set up a testbed of
qmail+scan4virus before taking it live on my MX, but scan4virus needs to
be SUID qmailq. Since my perl does not support SUID scripts, it is not
working properly. I tried building my own perl with SUID but I get lot's
of warnings about some system not having secure SUID scripts.

a) can I have SUID scripts on my machine

b) what do I need to do?

Mark Drummond|ICQ#19153754|mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
         Gang Warily|http://signals.rmc.ca/
Kingston Linux Users Group|http://signals.rmc.ca/klug/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lincoln Yeoh)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Here's why linux programs are so insecure !
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:14:30 GMT

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:02:36 +1100, Chris MacKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Because you dickheads offer the source code of your programs (!!!)
>> There is not better present to potential hackers than to offer your source
>> code !
>
>Security by Obscurity is no security at all - something you should
>ponder.

Not really. Obscurity has its uses.

If not why all this big problem with privacy. That's because some systems
just can't be made secure and you can't get rid of them.

It's not clear cut to me. I see advantages for each approach. Choose the
one which suits you.

And often trusting people brings out the best in them, so much so that it's
worth the one or two idiots causing problems from time to time.

Cheerio,

Link.
****************************
Reply to:     @Spam to
lyeoh at      @[EMAIL PROTECTED]
pop.jaring.my @
*******************************

------------------------------

From: Taylor Hutt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slocate.cron and cron.weekly Errors
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:19:26 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have the exact same errors mentioned in the 1st message of this
> thread. I too am running Mandrake. I have taken care of the
> slocate.cron error with the help of the semi-colons, thanks to Dr.
> Jones. I still have the cron.weekly error (from makewhatis.cron)
> though, with the mail message getting to be over 100K in size. A whole
> bunch of bzcat errors, with one of two descriptions, "corrupted file -
> use the -tvv option to test integrity" or "the file is not a bzip2
> file". How do I resolve this? Do I need to run the 'bzip2recover'
> program? I am fairly new to Linux, so I want to explore the simple
> options before I run any major utility at this point.

Anyone else have trouble?
I'm getting all sorts of email to root saying my bz2 manpages are
corrupt under Mandrake.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem using rescue systems with earlier kernels
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:16:07 -0600

I helped a friend install a second disk in his system,
He is running RedHat 6.1, and the disk was a WD 15 GB IDE
disk.  We chose to ignore the software that came with the
disk and to work just with Linux.  When booting, Linux saw
the disk.   But when we ran cfdisk, it claimed it couldn't
read the label or something along those lines.   We tried
fdisk instead and it said it was writing a DOS label (or
some such thing).   We partitioned the disk, made Linux
file systems and transferred his system to the second
disk successfully.   Soemwhere along the line we tried
using two rescue disks, one tom's root/boot disk and the
other from VALinux.  Neither was able to mount the partitions
we had made.   I presume this had something to do with the
versions of the kernel they were using which were certainly
not 2.2 kernels.   Can anyone enlighten me further?

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.1 Boot disk !
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:10:03 -0600

mina wrote:

> Hello !
> I have a Linux RH 6.1 boot disk, and I want to enter a rescue mode ! Then  I
> boot my PC from it, at the end it asks me to insert a root floppy containig
> an IMAGE. And the question is what does this all mean and how can I boot my
> PC to have Linux in RAM?
>
> Thank you !

RedHat eliminated the rescue disk image in 6.1.  The alleged reason
was that there wasn't space on the CD to include it, and they
substituted another rescue system.  (See below.)  But they didn't
document this very well if at all, so it was a bit difficult to
find out about it.  However, the RH6.0 rescue image does work
with the 6.1 boot floppy.  You should be able to find it on
some RedHat mirror site under 6.0.  It is in the images directory
of the distribution as rescue.img.  You copy it to a floppy
with---assuming you put it in the current directory
dd if=rescue.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

To use the 6.1 recommended system, you use the 6.1 installation
media and enter at the boot: prompt
linux rescue
After a little dialogue, you are dropped into a bash shell.
This is operating in a ramdisk and in principle you can do
repairs.   But it is missing an editor and many standard commands.
Moreover, you can't even use fdisk or mount without first using
mknod to make the devices for the disks and partitions.  It
would not be my first choice for repairs.

Tom's root boot disk is an excellent tool.  It may be found at
www.toms.net/rb/home.html
However, unless it has been upgraded, it uses a relatively old
kernel, and the last time we tried it (a couple of days ago),
it got confused by the disk label we had put on a new disk
under the latest kernel.   If you need to use a current
kernel in your rescue system, you would need either the
boot floppy/6.0 rescue floppy combination or the installation
media method.

I hope in release 6.2 RedHat has dealt with some of these
problems.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nickolaus Dekay)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Re: Here's why linux programs are so insecure !
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:15:54 GMT

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:49:19 +1100, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I read on Slashdot the other day an article that was saying the French
>government heard reports that a US spying organisation <insert Echelon
>here> was dealing with Microsoft back in the days of DOS.
>
>Dan

They probably were.
i remember reading a paper a few months ago that specified a security concern
with some sort of encryption keys in windows... one belonged to microsoft, and
the other belonged to the NSA. this was of particular interest to people outside
of the united states who use microsoft windows in applications with sensitive
data.

maybe you can find something on a web search related to this subject...

ndekay
Furious activity is no substitute for understanding.
-- H. H. Williams

From: Larry Ozarow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Parallel Scanner under Linux???
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:24:46 +0000

Ray Riedel wrote:

> Andreas Graef wrote:
>
> > I've got the Mustek Scan Express 6000P, and I only have drivers for
> > Windows.
> > Does anyone here know how to get a driver for a parallel scanner under
> > Linux or does anyone have one???
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> There is a program called "sane" that will work with some parallel port
> scanners.  I have a Mustek 600 III EP plus scanner on my parallel port.
> To scan I boot into windows.  There is no simple way to get it working in
> Linux.

Ray,

Have you tried
http://www.i2k.com/~jeffd/a4s2/
There are a standalone and a sane backend for the Mustek 600 III EP plus.
I've used the standalone and it works perfectly for me, at least as far as I
can tell.

Larry

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Tyan 1854S motherboard..is it good
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:25:36 -0800

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Michael Hofmann wrote:

> True, but IIRC BIOS companies like Award (which has been bought by
> Phoenix btw) deliver something like a standardized BIOS that has to be
> adapted to a specific hardware on a motherboard. So it's TYAN's duty to
> make sure the powerdown cycle is implemented properly. On the S1590S
> this is not the case. The specs call for real mode before powerdown.
> TYAN's BIOS doesn't do this, that's why there is a real mode patch for
> Linux. Other MoBo manufacturers have provided updated BIOS's to correct
> this problem.
> TYAN doesn't care about this, they don't care to answer emails regarding
> this issue, hence I don't care to buy TYAN products in the future.
> I prefer Linux-aware and customer-oriented companies.

Michael: why all the fuss about shutdown - one of the great things about
linux is that it stays up for months or longer. And btw, why does your
company offer linux only on servers but not on workstations (or did I
overlook some secret webpage)?
                                        Gerald

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Non-X GUI?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:27:15 -0500

Equinox wrote:

> Are there any window systems / GUI's (other than X) available for
> Linux and other Unix-like systems?

No, none worth bothering with, if you actually want to run any
applications.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to set up a Mail-Server for Win95/98 machines ?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:31:15 -0500

wolfgang wrote:

> How can I set up SuSE Linux 6.3, that I can send and receive E-Mails
> under Win 95/98 machines, like an Exchange-Server ?

Set up sendmail.  It is surely on one of the SuSE CDs.  It is the
Internet standard for mail serving.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: zipdrive backup problem
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:12:05 -0500

I've been in the habit of backing up my system to DOS-formatted
100MB zipdisks in a parallel-port zipdrive: tar up chunks, gzip
them, and copy the files to /mnt/zip.  This worked fine for
quite a long time, but recently I've run into a problem: for
many of the archive files on the zipdrive, tar or gzip now
complains they're corrupt when I try to read them back.  I'd
suspect a bad disk, but this has happened with all 4 of the
disks I'm using.

I suppose that several things on my system have changed since
I had trouble-free access the files on the zip disks.  Kernel
updates certainly: I'm currently using 2.2.14.

My log files don't show any complaints from the parport
module when I mount the zipdrive.

Anyone seen anything similar, or have any idea what might be
going on?

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fail to run bash script
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:08:38 -0500

L_newbies wrote:

> I am trying to run a bash script.  The script name is ppp-on and  it is set
>
> rwxr-x---
>
> I have this message:
> bash: ppp-on: command not found

Look at the ppp-on script using "less" or your favorite editor.  It's
calling a program that is not being found, perhaps because the
specified path is wrong.  "which" will locate an executable that
is somewhere in the path.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 has 63,000 bugs - Win2k.html [0/1] - Win2k.html [0/1]
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:22:09 -0800

crashed wrote:

> Just to clarify
> Windows 2000 has potentially 63000 bugs. This number was generated by a program
> auto-scanning the source code which also included 10000 lines of code that was not
> used in the final release-
> I am by no means a Microsoft supporter but the distribution of FUD is
> counter-productive.
> Linux will eventually surpass Microsoft in the server market based on it's own
> merits, not propoganda. The way it should be

    This is a very commendable feeling but, unfortunately, not the way things have
historically worked out, the egregious example being that of home VCR formats.
Any tactic within the  law should be used in order to kill the Redmond beast, least
it kills Linux and the open source movement first. This is a kind of Alliance vs.
Empire struggle.

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: iBCS module
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:24:54 -0800

    Well, is that module under /lib/modules/2.2.14 (or wherever Red Hat
puts the
modules)?