Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:05:25 +0200
From: "P. Ekkebus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LDAP hosts login

Hi,
I have a trouble with openldap or pam_ldap
My config, a openldap server running on a server and
instaled the pam_ldap, nns_ldap module.
On the client ldap and pam_nns,pam+ldap instaled en the
file edit nsswitch file.
So far everything works fine everyone can login on differend
machines.
however when I want that only piet can login on computer
192.168.1.1 that doesnt work, he be can login on every computer

Some one a idee what I'm doing wrong or is it not posible ??

  Groeten,
  Piet.

Your mouse has moved.

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:31:18 GMT

"those who know me have no need of my name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> divulged:
>
> >guru     doesn't edit code; uses the command   cat > file.c
>
> i believe you mean:
>
> cat > file
>
> as in directly executable.
>
> real guru's don't need no stinkin' compiler, nor a linker.  heck, some
> don't even need an underlying o/s.

If you can't create your program by careful motions of a magnet across the
surface of the disk platters[1] yer a weenie.

[1] Yer also a weenie if you don't have at least one clean room in your home
to do such things. :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What program languages (or tools) are X-apps written in ?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:36:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Elf Sternberg) writes:
> In article <9bvcvq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>     "tvn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>Hello, I am an api, mfc windows programmer and recently just try to
>>play around with linux - unix.  I am running rh and freebsd now.  I
>>noticed there are 3 categories the nix apps are divided in -
>>console, kde , gnome and X .  As far as I know, X is the the
>>standard for both Linux and Unix.  So I am wondering what
>>programming languages are used to make these X - apps.  And could
>>someone explain to me further about QT and GTK because I heard about
>>them but not really sure what they are for.  Thanks

> Okay, here's the basics.  Unlike Windows, where "Windows" is the
> operating system, _Linux_ is the operating system, and all it has is
> a simple text console.

Actually, I'd quibble a bit with this.  Linux doesn't even have a
"text console."  All that Linux generally does, itself, is to start up
a program called init, which in turn starts up other programs.  A
"text console" isn't Linux; it's a program called "getty."

This _is_ relevant; it indicates that text consoles are, to some
degree, functionally equivalent to X, as they are all just programs
that are run (often by /sbin/init), and which connect to other
programs [shells, graphical applications, ...] which then use getty/X
to get input from the user and display output to the user.

> X is just a program that does two things: draw stuff on a
> graphics-capable terminal, and take input from the keyboard and
> mouse.  That's it.  X is a server; what that means is that any
> client program that wants to draw stuff on a graphics-capable
> terminal can send requests to X saying "Draw me a box with buttons
> and labels" and X will do it, and when someone types on the
> keyboard, X will send those keystrokes and any associated mouse
> actions back to the client program.

> If you're used to client-server notions, it can take a while to wrap
> your head around the notion that X is a middleware server where you,
> the human being, are both the front-end and the back-end.

The thing that is kind of backwards about X is the way that it is
treated as a _server_, when Windows-oriented terminology tends to
assume that a "server" is a computer that sits in the back room,
whilst a "client" is the program that a human user interacts with.

X reverses this, by regarding graphical activities as _services_, to
be provided by an _X Server_, which are then used by programs, which
are termed as _clients_.

> Because X is a client-server system, it's possible to run the client
> program on one machine and the X server program on a different
> machine.  It's also possible to have "multi-headed" systems where
> one computer has multiple graphics cards and three or more monitors,
> because the X server is extensible and can have more than one
> instance of a "screen" (that is, a display) in memory at any given
> time.  This make X much more powerful than Windows in some very
> fundamental respects.  It also makes X more secure.  The price for
> these rich capabilities of X is that it can require a great deal of
> bandwidth when using X over a network, and can also require a great
> deal more knowledge.

More crucial to performance is the issue that if a client and server
reside on the same physical hardware, you can get _extremely_ fast
communications, through shared memory, whereas if it goes across an
Ethernet segment, it's much slower.

> X has a very primitive library at its core with a set of simple
> things it can do-- basic drawing primitives like lines, rectangles,
> fonts, color sets, and so on.  This is the Xlib, and if you want to
> learn how to use X, you're welcome to start with Xlib and all its
> primitives.  X uses a specific and unique network protocol for
> communication between clients and servers, and Xlib is the library that
> has the client code for communicating with X.
>
>         Xlib is written in and to entirely in C.
>
>         Over the years, several teams have written "X Toolkits."  The
> idea is to make programming X easier and less "primitive."  The
> primitives offered in Xlib are, well, primitive-- people like buttons
> with three-d effects, and programmers hate having to manage each
> individual pixel when drawing an image, and neither of these
> capabilities is provided by Xlib.
>
>         X Toolkits, such as Motif, QT (not "KDE"), and GTK (not
> "Gnome"), provide all of these additional features.  Motif was the first
> and was very popular, but while X's core was free, Motif was not.  Linux
> has a Motif clone, "Lesstif," but its importance has faded as computers
> became more powerful and could afford the egregious CPU and graphics
> power needed for high-end toolkits like QT and GTK.
>
>         GTK, like Motif, provides a huge collection of graphics widgets
> (that's the technical term): buttons, sliders, canvases, frames,
> windows, decorations, and so on, all in an event-oriented and object-
> based framework that makes writing GTK applications a matter of defining
> the interface and then gluing in the responses to events after the
> fact.  A useful tool for doing this is Glade, which allows you to
> basically draw your static interfaces, much like visual basic, and then
> spits out C code, to which you attach the behaviors of your application.
>
>         GTK, Motif, Lesstif, and QT are all written in C.  (Regarding
> QT, could someone confirm this?  I have a vague memory of someone
> telling me QT is written in C++.  I don't know; I've migrated from Motif
> on Solaris to using GTK on Linux and BSD.)

Qt is written in C++.  One thing that has been controversial about it
is that typical use requires running a preprocessor on your code, not
unlike the way ESQL requires running a preprocessor that transforms
SQL queries into C code...

> Gnome, KDE, CDE (which is a desktop environment for Motif), are all
> *further* wrappers around GTK, QT, and Motif respectively; they add
> additional operating-system functionality like interprocess
> communication, drag-and-drop facilities, and a rich set of
> applications for interacting with your X environment, your
> "desktop."  Gnome, KDE, and CDE are distinct from GTK and QT in that
> they are both libraries *and* a collection of applications that use
> those libraries.  But if you want to make *more* Gnome-ready
> programs with all of the facilities of Gnome, the libraries are
> where you look.

This is a pretty good description of the intent of desktop
environments.

It's worth pointing at GNOME and describing what some of the
functionality is; it includes such libraries as:
 - libxml - an XML parser;
 - libglade - reads user interfaces in XML form (probably using libxml!) and
   then transforms that into trees of GTK widgets;
 - libgconf - provides the ability to read configuration files in a number
   of forms;
 - libgnomecanvas - provides a special "collection" widget that knows how to
   submit output in a number of forms, including X and Postscript
 - orbit - a CORBA implementation to allow structured interprocess
   communication
 - libgtkhtml - provides a widget that can display HTML output

This stuff doesn't matter, directly, to the nonprogrammer, but if
you're trying to _write_ a sophisticated graphical application, these
sorts of services will be useful.

> Ximian is a wrapper around Gnome; it provides even more intense
> facilities like componentization and rapid-access to specialized
> file system retrieval, as well as an abstract file access layer that
> allows one to treat CDs, floppies, hard drives, network drives, FTP
> sites, and even web sites as if they were all just parts of the
> filesystem.

I thought Ximian was the company sponsoring development of various
GNOME applications.

> Although these are all written in "C", the Unix philosophy has led
> to other programming languages with ready hooks into the X
> libraries.  For example, one of the earliest graphics toolkits is
> TK, which is an XLib-based library for the interpreted language TCL.
> Although TK was originally written be used with TCL, it was so
> easily extensible that the scripting languages Perl and Python both
> support writing applications using the Tk Toolkit.

The critical point is that Unix is developed in C, the system
interfaces are defined in C-oriented manner, and interfaces to X have
been defined with C in mind.

As a result, writing interfaces in C is fairly natural, and if you
define your Favorite Language to have some foreign function interface
that interfaces with C, you can get at all the sorts of stuff out
there in C, Unix, and X.

> GTK, especially, has proven easy to extend, and there are wrappers
> for it such that one can write applications in C, C++, Perl, Python,
> or Java and still have access to the GTK Toolkit.  Even the Gnome
> libraries are accessible through these other languages.  If you're a
> VB programmer, I highly recommend learning Python; its syntax will
> be familiar to you, but the OO facilities, metaprogramming
> capabilities, and discipline of Python will make you both a smarter
> and a better programmer.

Many consider Python a favorite language; many of those that would
pick something else for "first place" would put Python in second
place.

I'd agree that it's a good language for a newcomer to try out.

> Where to start?  Well, one good place to start, where you'll
> find immediate results, is the GTK Tutorial.  Better than any of the
> dozens of "How to program GTK and Gnome" books, this tutorial will walk
> you through the basics of writing GTK programs in C.  It will not teach
> you how to use GCC, GDB, or any Unix IDE's, and it does not hold you
> hand for you like some Windows wizards do.  You *will* learn everything
> you need to know about coding GTK from here.  If you don't know how to
> hack code for a Unix box, well, that's a different lecture.
>
>         GTK Tutorial
>         http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/
>
>         To learn about Xlib and Motif, start here:
>         http://csc.lsu.edu/tutorial/Xnotes/X_lecture.html
>
>         And, if you're going to get serious about programming X, there's
> Kenton Lee's excellent (if a bit high-handed) "Technical X-Windows Catalog":
>
>         Technical X Windows
>         http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html

All good stuff...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: where can I find a printer driver of HP 5L printer  under redhat linux???
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:53:02 -0000

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:55:58 +0800, hushui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thank you .
>In printtool list  , I can't find my printer .

I don't know about RedHat but in Debian I'm using the HP4L drivers with my
HP5L.  It works fine.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: See signature for email address <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slide presentation quality in StarOffice 5.2
Date: 23 Apr 2001 17:17:42 GMT

I am trying to use StarOffice 5.2 (with the patch 109939-02) for a slide
presentation.  I created the slides and when I switch to full screen
presentation mode, text is rather poor quality. Characters look blocky
like a low resolution font scaled up to a large size. Slides print just
fine, so I am guessing I must not be missing the fonts. How do I improve
the quality of full screen presentation? I did try different fonts but
they all look bad.

Khalid Aziz                             Linux Development Laboratory
(970)898-9214                                        Hewlett-Packard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                    Fort Collins, CO

------------------------------

From: "Full Name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: C-Media cards
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:44:19 -0700

Anybody got experience with C-Media cards under Linux? I have one that works,
but it produces an almost inaudible sound. Any guesses so as to why?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:56:30 -0400

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> "those who know me have no need of my name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> divulged:
> >
> > >guru     doesn't edit code; uses the command   cat > file.c
> >
> > i believe you mean:
> >
> > cat > file
> >
> > as in directly executable.
> >
> > real guru's don't need no stinkin' compiler, nor a linker.  heck, some
> > don't even need an underlying o/s.
>
> If you can't create your program by careful motions of a magnet across the
> surface of the disk platters[1] yer a weenie.
>
> [1] Yer also a weenie if you don't have at least one clean room in your home
> to do such things. :)

magnetic disks are for weenies.

real men use punch cards.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: $[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cloning drives w/ Different geometry?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:59:41 GMT

Francis Litterio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Show us a command that you type and the error message it gives you.  If
> there are no explicit error messages, then describe the precise nature of
> what you consider to be the failure.

Francis, I to clone I used "dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=1024k".  The drive
I am cloning is the firmware of a video arcade game.   As far as I know, the
drive boots via an eprom.

The drive cloned to a larger drive with different geometry would not boot,
when placed into the video game.    I was not onsite to see the details of
the failure.

I havn't had much luck mounting the drives' partitions.  Although the
partition tables list the partitions as "linux", they don't seem to be
ext2.  I have not yet attempted ext, as it's not in my Kernel, and
havn't had the time to rebuild.

As it stands now, I've had good success locating the same model drives as
the originals.  Clones to drives of the original model appear to work fine
in the vids without any problems.

 "People ask me if we are going to stop applying [financial]  pressure on the
 Germans.  I'll tell you now we will keep going back to the Germans again and
 again... We expect this ammount may dwarf payments up to now"

                                 -World Jewish Congress leader Edgar Bronfman
www.geocities.com/pentagon/bunker/1022           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: $[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:01:31 GMT

Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't understand why he's using dd instead of mounting the target
> partition and using "cp -Rx / /foo".

Ray, although I did not initially mention it, I have had trouble mounting
the drive partitions, as Linux is having trouble recognizing their
filesystems.   The drives are firmware for a video arcade game.  I cannot
begin to guess what is on them, or how it is formatted.

 "The real meaning of the official U.S./Israel 'peace process' is a process
 of entrapment in an apartheid system that encloses Palestinians in their
 ghettos, denying them the possibility of real autonomous development."

                            -Rosemary Ruether, Catholic feminist theologian

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: move linux install to new HD
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:55:23 -0600

> I have a HD that appears to be on its last leg. I would like to move the
> contents of the entire HD onto a new one and be able to boot off of
> that. What's the safest way to do this? Thanks.

  If you search for the "harddisk upgrade howto", it walks you through a few
ways.

steve

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: RAID question.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:56:19 -0600

> Mirroring, or RAID0, is simple disk mirroring.

  DOH!  I got 0 and 1 mixed up.  My apologies.

steve

------------------------------

From: Tarkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Documentation on Linux scripts ?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:04:49 +0200

Hi,

Where can I find documentation about linux scripting (Bash) ? I have got
documentation about linux commands via several books and the man
command, but I don't find anything about variable settings, or if
structures, or loops syntax, etc...

Any direction ?

Thanks for your help.

Tarkus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: Re: Upgrade RPM3 to RPM4
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:07:52 GMT

    If you first upgrade to a version of RPM that can read RPMs
    from RPM4 (e.g. 3.0.6) then you should be alright.  Be
    careful about RPM4 tho, the Redhat Errata list announced
    updates to 3-4 other packages that had to be updated as a
    result of the upgrade to db3 and rpm4.

    G'luck...

From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FTP Problem
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:08:07 -0500

I've setup a soft link on my Linux box (in /var/ftp/pub) to a
directory called /win that is a Samba mount of my Windows machine,
where I have my mp3's stored.
Although I can list the contents of that directory in a terminal
session, I can't access them using an FTP client from a Win machine.
I get a "550 mp3: No such file or directory" error.
I could mount the Samba share directly to /var/ftp/pub/mp3, but I
don't want the entire Windows box accessible, just the mp3 directory.
What am I overlooking?

Thanks.
Jeff