From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jess Anderson)
Subject: Re: newbie problem
Date: 26 Mar 2000 08:03:50 GMT

Fred Nastos:

>I have just installed linux, and seem to have a small problem.
>I think my path is setup correctly, but have some trouble
>running some programs. If I write a program in a subdirectory
>on my home directory and compile it, I have to type ./program
>to run it as opposed to just "program". Is this a problem with
>my path? Any ideas on how to correct it? Thank a lot for any
>suggestions.

You can put the subdirectory in your path. Let's say it's
$HOME/bin, then change your .bash_profile to read

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

or

PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

depending on the search order you prefer.

--
[] Let a beauty full of healing and strength of final
[] clenching be the pulsing in our spirits and our blood.

[] [EMAIL PROTECTED] is my only dependable e-address []
[] Copyright 2000 Jess Anderson  O-  <http://www.jesscc.com/> []

------------------------------

From: Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:25:08 GMT

In article <8bke4v$2v4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just installed linux, and seem to have a small problem.
> I think my path is setup correctly, but have some trouble
> running some programs. If I write a program in a subdirectory
> on my home directory and compile it, I have to type ./program
> to run it as opposed to just "program". Is this a problem with
> my path? Any ideas on how to correct it? Thank a lot for any
> suggestions.

The problem is that you don't have the current directory in your path.
To put the current directory ('.') first in your path, you should do

PATH=.:$PATH  # or PATH=$PATH:. if you want it last.

in your '~/.bashrc' file (if you're using bash).

/A

--
# Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>
# Scandinavinans, without us "thursday" wouldn't exist!

From: Frederic L. W. Meunier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Mar 2000 08:36:59 GMT

It's not a problem. For security reasons you have to use ./ if the
executable isn't in your PATH. It's safe and not hard to type ./ .
Put the executable in your $HOME/bin (and add it to the PATH).

--
Frédéric L. W. Meunier [Tel: +55-21-620-7173 - Niterói-RJ Brasil]
fredlwm@{olympiquedemarseille.org,{marseille.}nitnet.com.br}

------------------------------

From: "N. George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv,rec.video.satellite.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x,comp.infosystems.www.browsers,comp.infosystems.www.browswers.misc
Subject: Re: Dish Network's site is DOWN if you don't use M$'s browser.
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 00:32:34 -0800

==============EC3DDFC7B9B2ABB94E8527A2

I hate IE as well; I am running Netscape v4.72 in Win2k Pro and it
crashes me too... --Nat

Randy Crawford wrote:

> Simply amazing.
>
> I just tried to visit http://www.dishnetwork.com, but every
> time it crashed Netscape within visiting one, or at most two
> links off the main page.  (I'm running Linux Redhat 6.0,
> Netscape 4.61, and I'm no newbie to Living Without Windows.)
>
> On the main page DN states that they DO NOT SUPPORT Netscape.
> Period.  If you want to visit their site, "You should download
> Internet Explorer".  They claim that it's Netscape's problem
> that their site crashes and burns and there's nothing they can
> do about it.
>
> UNbelievable.  So much for selling Dish Network systems to
> all the AOL subscribers (who use Netscape).
>
> I bought a Dish Network system about a year ago.  I *had*
> planned on renewing my subscription, and I wanted to see what
> their current services and hardware looked like.
>
> But I've changed my mind.  If any vendor has the hubris to state
> that they won't serve me unless I CHANGE OPERATING SYSTEMS, or
> that they're unable to master the trivial technology of creating
> web pages that work with more than ONE browser, they clearly don't
> care if they lose millions of potential customers.  And of course,
> they're incompetent idiots.
>
> Is Dish Network this clueless on other topics?  I find this
> attitude to be incredibly self serving and short sighted.  Do
> their stockholders know this?  Does *Rupert Murdoch* know this?
>
> So...  Anybody want to buy a Dish Network system? I'm switching to
> Direct TV.
>
>     Randy
>
> --
> Randy Crawford
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.engin.umich.edu/labs/cpc

==============EC3DDFC7B9B2ABB94E8527A2

begin:vcard
n:George;N. George
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:NGB Computers & Web Consulting
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note:NGB Computers & Web Consulting can provide you or your company a comple computer
and/or web prescense solution! We can work with anything be it your old personal 286
that you want upgraded to the highest extent possible, or your corporate mega server
that you want upgraded to the capacity of Ebay. If we can't create, upgrade, or modify
it, we'll gladly refer you to someone who can at no extra charge!
x-mozilla-cpt:;-22224
fn:N. George
end:vcard

From: Peer Cunrady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Y2K Bios bug
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:29:54 +0200

Hi,

ich habe kürzlich ein älteres 486er Board wierder in Betrieb genommen.
Leider hat das Ding einen Y2K Bug im Bios (AWARD). Gibt es für LINUX
eigentlich einen Patch der solche Probleme beim booten behebt, so
ähnlich wie CTY2KFIX.EXE von der Zeitschrift CT ?

tschau

Peer

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:28:23 +0800
From: Michael Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: build kernel error

Dowe Keller wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:57:20 -0500, David Embree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I am attempting to build a new kernel. But I get this error near the end
> >of the compilation.
> >Any ideas how to fix this????????
> >
> >make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux2.2.14/arch/i386/boot'
> >as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
> >make[1]: as86: Command not found
> >make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
> >make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux2.2.14/arch/i386/boot'
> >make: *** [boot] Error 2
> >

> Do you have the bin86 tools installed?  On Redhat install
> bin86-0.x-y.i386.rpm off of your instalation cdrom.  On Debian
> machines this should be bin87_0.14.3-1.deb. If you install this
> package you shouldn't get the above error.

But note that on some copies of RedHat 6.1 (mine at least) the bin86
package appears to be missing.  On a previous thread Hal Burgiss
said it had been renamed as the dev86 package (but I've not looked
to see if that was on my CD - I pulled bin86 down from the web).

Mik

------------------------------

From: F Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Mar 2000 09:15:30 GMT

Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem is that you don't have the current directory in your path.
> To put the current directory ('.') first in your path, you should do

> PATH=.:$PATH  # or PATH=$PATH:. if you want it last.

Yes. Thank you. I now remember reading somewhere about that
distinction. It's for security reasons that it's not setup
with that argument initially, right?

------------------------------

From: Tim De Vos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Adaptec 2940 U2W Redhat 6.1
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:42:05 +0200

Hi,

I'm using Redhat 6.1 and i'm having a strange problem with my SCSI.
When I boot linux, a few minutes later the SCSI bus hangs for a
minute and than goes on like nothing happened. The light indicator
from the SCSI bus flashes on and I read or write anything from
a SCSI device during that period. I am using Redhat 6.1 with
a Intel 440BXSE-2 motherboard and an Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI controller.
I tried to recompile the kernel with the AIC7xxxx driver but the
problem still exists.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for replying.

Tim De Vos

Tim De Vos                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
UIA-student 2de lic. informatica                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thesis info: http://win-www.uia.ac.be/u/s965460/

                        Netscape Communicator 4.72 message

From: "Xircom USER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pcmcia and ISDN
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:46:21 -0800

I have slack 7 and kernel 2.2.13.
I have the card Xircom ISDN Creditcard and how do I configure it, I know it
is supported!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: trouble with Epson stylus color driver
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 11:39:36 GMT

I am having trouble getting my Epson Stylus COlor 440 to print with RH
6.1. I am able to start up the printtool and detect the printer. If I
try to print the ps test page at this point, I get several pages of
text. If I try to select the input filter and click on the Epson stylus
color(UP) entry inthe list, the resolution comes up at NAxNA. If I click
OK, I get the following Error in tcl script box...
Error: bad listbox index"";
must be active,anchor, end,
@x,y, or a number
can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this??
thanks
Ivan

From: John's Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: emachines
Date: 26 Mar 2000 06:59:35 EST

"David St.Clair" wrote:

> Emachines are possible, but I've had troubles with the display.  The
> display did come up on an etower 333cs.  It has a Cyrix 250 Mhz Processor.
> It was faster running in windows than in linux for some reason.
>
> David St.Clair
>
> "David .." wrote:
>
> > What processor does it have??  If it is Intel then you should be able to
> > install it.
> > --
> > Due to extreme SPAM abuse! Remove z's and x's from above to reply.
> > Thank the spammer's A..holes that they are. Still can't reach me?
> > Then your address range is already blocked due to previous spam.
> > Sorry!  I hate spam!!

Hello!

I am running an emachine tower with a decent Tektronix monitor, 466MHz
Intel CPU, only 4MB video RAM. I was able to get the Xserver running
fine, but I had to settle for 16 bit mode, as it would not work in 24
bit. I have SuSE Linux, a fine system. I used SaX to configure it. Hope
this helps.

Linuxing the day away,

John Jaynes

------------------------------

From: John's Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I get files from my Win98 c: drive in Linux?
Date: 26 Mar 2000 07:12:35 EST

wayne rattz wrote:

> HELLO:All you really need to do is mount the windows drive and then open
> it in kde and drag the files into linux.To do this read my howto on
> directly mounting drives in linux.Its just a matter of putting an entry in
> the etc/fstab file and making a directory for it.For windows its going to
> be type vfat. Another way is to call up linuxconf which is a graphical
> tool you can use to mount the drive.The entry may be something
> like  /dev/hda1  /mnt/cdrive vfat  user,noauto.nosuid,rw, 0 0   and then
> bring up a typing console and type mkdir /mnt/cdrive (hit enter)You will
> then find it under /etc/mnt/cdrive This is just a basic entry.My site also
> tells how to make a desktop icon for it too.
> My site is http://www.geocities.com/wrattz/linux1.html
> Hit on the howto's on the right side of the page.good luck wayne!
> ShiDeng wrote:
> >

> > I have two operating systems installed on one hard drive.  Windows 98 and
> > Linux.  How can I get files from the c: drive of Windows 98 in Linux?  I
> > tried to copy the files to a floppy disk and use "mount /mnt/floppy" as
> > root, but it gave me some error message. Can anyone help me for solving
> this
> > problem?  Thanks!
> >
> > Shi

Hello!

I have two separate hard drives. I have created a directory "Windows98"
in my /mnt directory. My command to mount my Windows drive is "mount
-tvfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Windows98". Hope this helps.

Why am I up this early,

John Jaynes

------------------------------

From: Christer Brosche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wireless pcmcia network driver..
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 14:22:31 +0200

Hi there,

I certainly hope this is the right newsgroup to post this message to.

I´m fairly new to Corel Linux and I´m trying to install a pcmcia
wireless network card called aviator 2.4 from Webgear, on an Intel based
system. But things are not working out for me at all and I´m now shouting
for help.

The device driver for Aviator is included in the pcmcia pack.

This is what I´ve done so far:

Unpack kernel-source-2.2.12 in /usr/src/
Unpack pcmcia-cs-3.1.11 in /usr/src/

(in /usr/src/kernel-source/):
        make mrproper
        make oldconfig
        make menuconfig
        make bzImage

(in /usr/src/pcmcia/):
        make config
        make all
        make install

Here are parts of my systemlog showing the errors:

03/06  20:09:49 Daemon  Information     cardmgr get dev info on socket 0
failed:
                                        Resource temporarily unavailable

03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr modprobe exited with
status 1
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr + ds: Device or resource
busy
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
netif_rx_Rsmp_3bf21514
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
__kfree_skb_Rsmp_4e6db76d
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
register_netdev_Rsmp_f96dc9c1
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
ether_setup_Rsmp_d4d2977d
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
unregister_netdev_Rsmp_e41e19ec
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
alloc_skb_Rsmp_4f7408cc
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
eth_type_trans_Rsmp_30b2d0bb
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr +

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o:
                                        unresolved symbol
skb_over_panic_Rsmp_c61b9945
03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr executing: 'modprobe
ray_cs'

03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr insmod exited with status
[...]

03/06  20:09:48 Daemon  Information     cardmgr executing: 'insmod

/lib/modules/2.2.12/pcmcia/ray_cs.o'
03/06  20:09:47 Daemon  Information     cardmgr socket 0: RayLink PC Card
WLAN
                                        Adapter

03/06  20:09:47 Kernel  Information     kernel  cs: memory probe
0x0d0000-0x0dffff:
                                        clean.
03/06  20:09:47 Daemon  Information     cardmgr initializing socket 0

03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel  cs: IO port probe
0x0a00-0x0aff:
                                        clean.
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel  cs: IO port probe
0x0100-0x04ff:
                                        excluding 0x378-0x37f 0x4d0-0x4d7
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel  cs: IO port probe
0x1000-0x17ff:
                                        clean.
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel      ISA irqs (scanned) =
3,4,5,7,9
                                        polling interval = 1000 ms
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel      host opts [0]: none
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel    Ricoh RF5C296/396
ISA-to-PCMCIA at
                                        port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel  Intel PCIC probe:
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel    unknown PCI interrupt
router
                                        1106:0586
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel  PCI routing table version
1.0 at
                                        0xfdde0
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel    options:  [pci]
[cardbus]
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel    kernel build: 2.2.12 #1
SMP Mon
                                        Mar 6 18:00:27 PST 2000

03/06  20:09:45 Daemon  Information     cardmgr watching 1 sockets
03/06  20:09:45 Kernel  Information     kernel  Linux PCMCIA Card Services
3.1.11
03/06  20:09:45 Daemon  Information     cardmgr starting, version is
3.1.11

03/06  20:09:38 Kernel  Information     kernel  unloading PCMCIA Card
Services
03/06  20:09:36 Daemon  Information     cardmgr exiting
03/06  20:09:36 Daemon  Information     cardmgr rmmod exited with status 1
03/06  20:09:36 Daemon  Information     cardmgr + rmmod: module ray_cs not
loaded
03/06  20:09:36 Daemon  Information     cardmgr executing: 'rmmod ray_cs'
03/06  20:09:36 Daemon  Information     cardmgr shutting down socket 0

Thanks alot!

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Andy Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: telnetd dropping connections from certain hosts
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:47:12 +0100

Telnetd mysteriously started working again.

I had tried everything,

Reboot the machine
Stop and restart inetd
Check permissions of /dev/ttyp*

Eventually when I connected via rlogin this worked, and after that telnet
started working again.

I would still be greatful if anyone could shed any light on this.

BTW The system is running Slackware 3.3 ish thats kernel 2.0.30

Andy

------------------------------

Subject: site snagger for linux?
From: Bob Koss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:48:15 GMT

Does anyone know of a utility that will let me download websites,
complete with links, for offline viewing. I have a windows utility
called sitesnagger that does this, but that means I have to boot
windows :-(

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.  | Object Mentor, Inc.    | Tel: (800) 338-6716
Senior Consultant   | 14619 N Somerset Cr    | Fax: (847) 918-1023