From: "Michael Bernardo" <m b e r n a r d @ a s y l u m . t o>
Subject: Re: How do I install X?
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 12:03:24 -0400

Why, is this too much to ask for Linux?  I just want to be able to test
drive it to see if I can use it as my main desktop PC at the same time.  I
have a spare PC (Win98) that I currently rely on to do website work and
general desktop work.  I'm just getting bombarded by rave reviews by alot of
Linux users that it is a better desktop than Windows.  I would like to test
it, perhaps, allow me to have other options other than buying expensive
software.  I had a co-worker doing 50% of his work on an Irix machine, doing
multimedia and animation work!  I'm currently using it as a firewall, I have
3 other machines behind it serving pages (Winnt Servers).

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Michael Bernardo" <m b e r n a r d @ a s y l u m . t o>
Subject: PPTP Help: Winnt pptp through a Linux Firewall
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:55:55 -0400

I am trying to setup a Linux firewall to allow a Windows NT client from the
Internet to connect to our internal network. The firewall (RH6.1) is already
setup with ipchains, ipmasqadm, ppp, and pptpd.  The Windows NT client
outside seems to get authenticated fine by the firewall, but then, NT
complains that it fails to negotiate.  What I want to do is to be able to
map Windows NT drives through pptp over the Internet.  Has anyone been able
to do this?  Can anyone lead me to a more specific HOW-TO about my problem?

M i c h a e l   B e r n a r d o
m i c h a e l @ t i c o o n . c o m

------------------------------

From: "Miguel Angel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Problem
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 17:50:19 +0200

ict-aliasing -pipe   -DCPU=586 -march=i586   -c -o ide-geometry.o
ide-geometry.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__SMP__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototype
s -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe   -DCPU=586 -march=i58
6   -c -o floppy.o floppy.c
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
make[3]: *** [floppy.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/block'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/block'

[root@menphis linux]# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Autologin as root
Date: 4 May 2000 16:29:28 GMT

Mark Crotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: My Debian 2.1 box tries to autologin as root. Any ideas how to stop this?

Make it autologout as root too!

(become more comprehensible)

Subject: Re: Kernel Problem
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 16:29:53 GMT

"Miguel Angel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__SMP__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototype
> s -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe   -DCPU=586 -march=i58
> 6   -c -o floppy.o floppy.c
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> make[3]: *** [floppy.o] Error 1

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,netscape.communicator
Subject: Netscape
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 17:45:33 +0100

Hello, I have just had to borrow a modem cause of this winModem bobbins. I
am really struggling now with setting up my mail and newsgroup server and my
netscape navigator browser. I have logged on with my freeserve stuff from my
windows setup which allows me to get a connection, but I can't get any joy
from the browser. If anyone could help me out it would be great, if more
details are neede please let me know. Ian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: oldest linux box?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 16:42:07 GMT

On Wed, 03 May 2000 22:21:13 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just curious, what's the oldest linux box that folks have these days?

I use a 486/50 as my home firewall.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ViaVoice
From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 May 2000 11:48:00 -0500

This is a library from lesstif.

http://www.lesstif.org/
ftp://ftp.hungry.com/pub/hungry/lesstif/ (RPMS are in the bindist
subdur and src is lesstif-current.tar.gz ).

I downloaded it and installed it.  You can install it from source or
from an RPM.  A word of warning: I had some trouble with the lesstif
RPM and didn't pursue it.  I installed from source and though this
provided the requisite library, the rpm program did not know about it.
Thus I had to use the -nodeps flag to get the SDK and runtime ViaVoice
libs install, and this method worked fine.

You must read the README files that come with both the runtime and
SDK.  This would have told you about the lesstif requirement.  I did
as you did, just tried to plug along, and would have saved myself a
good bit of time had I read the README's.  There are more snags
lurking in the woods (like setting users and default users and making
sure your sound devices have the right permissions, which are
described in detail in the READMEs and are required to get ViaVoice to
work).  See also the FAQ on the IBM site and my summary below.  Good
luck.

Secondly, if you don't plan to acquire a Windows Millenium copy and
train your voice model in windows and then tranfer to linux using
convuser, you will be wasting your time.  See the cureadme.txt after
you get ViaVoice installed.  In my opinion, the recognition accuracy
is too low with an untrained voice model, which is not surprising.

JDH

Attached below are my notes which summarize my installation problems
and solutions with viavoice:

First install lesstif to provide libXm.  This installed to
/usr/local/LessTif/
and made symbolic links to usr/local lib and include.

Then install the ViaVoice-runtime and the ViaVoice-sdk in that order.
ViaVoice installed to /usr/lib/ViaVoice/
docs are in /usr/doc/ViaVoice/

Be sure to read rtreadme.txt and skreadme.txt for post install configs

from rtreadme.txt:
        changed the audio device permissions with
        chmod go+rw /dev/audio* /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer*

from skreadme.txt:

User Setup and Audio Guru (Automatic):
======================================
1) Create and setup a default user from the window manager by
following :

   the menu path : System menus --> AnotherLevel menus --> IBM
   ViaVoice --> Tools --> Setup ViaVoice UserId and EnrollId. Note: If
   you use this method, it will assume your userid is your Linux user
   ID and your enrollment ID is your Linux user ID with "1"
   appended. This will then set the environment to this user ID and
   enrollment ID.

2) Run the Audio Guru at least once to set the sound and microphone
levels. To run the Audio Guru from the window manager, use the
following menu path : System menus --> AnotherLevel menus --> IBM
ViaVoice --> Tools --> Audio Guru.

I did 1) and accepted the defaults (jdhunter and jdhunter1)

This didn't work for me and I had to proceed manually (perhaps because
the 9 digit enrollid was too long?).  To get around this problem,  I took
the environment vars from vvsetenv and placed them in .tcshrc (I use
tcsh and the problem may be because I don't use bash) and
modified them to read:
#------------------------------------------
# Executables, shared libraries, tools, etc
#------------------------------------------
setenv SPCH_BIN /usr/lib/ViaVoice/bin
setenv SPCH_TRN /usr/lib/ViaVoice/bin

#------------------------------------------
# Data, lots and lots of data!!
#------------------------------------------
setenv SPCH_RO /usr/lib/ViaVoice/vocabs
setenv SPCH_LOC vl1

#------------------------------------------
# Pool-specific path
#------------------------------------------
setenv SPCH_PATH /usr/lib/ViaVoice/vocabs/langs/En_US/pools

#------------------------------------------
# User-specific things (in $HOME/viavoice)
#------------------------------------------
setenv SPCH_RW ${HOME}/viavoice/
setenv SPCH_RUN ${HOME}/viavoice/temp

Then, I executed:
    26  12:39   source ~/.tcshrc
    28  12:39   /usr/lib/ViaVoice/bin/vvuseradm -newuser -userid jdh
    29  12:40   /usr/lib/ViaVoice/bin/vvuseradm -newenrollid -userid
    jdh -enrollid jdh1
    30  12:40   /usr/lib/ViaVoice/bin/vvuseradm -userid jdh -enrollid
    jdh1 -setdefault
    32  12:41   /usr/lib/ViaVoice/samples/gtkhello/gtkhello
which worked.

    roger> Hi there I am sorry to bother you but did you get viavoice
    roger> running. I installed lesstif as I was supposed to, and then
    roger> I run rpm -ivh ViaVoice_runtime...  and I get this error:
    roger> error: failed dependencies: libXm.so.1 is needed by
    roger> ViaVoice_runtime-2.0-1.0 How can I fix this??  thanks Rog

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.samba
Subject: Re: tar: "cannot readdir" on samba-mounted directory
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 16:43:08 GMT

In article <8eq3c5$bvl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme) wrote:
> >I'm getting this really bizarre error message from tar:
> >
> ># tar -cvf foo.tar /odin_e/Sites/Organizations
> >tar: /odin_e/Sites/Organizations: Cannot readdir: No such file or
> >directory
>
> What does "ls /odin_e/Sites/Organizations" give you?  Probably
something
> like:
>
>       ls: .: Permission denied

Interesting -- what I get is nothing.
# ls /odin_e/Sites/Organizations/
#

I told NT to give "full control" to "everyone" and got the same
result.  The weird thing is smbtar works fine...

-Jonathan

From: "Lilia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software Automation Tool.
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:03:12 -0700

Peter, while you laugh, i suggest you to learn about subject you are
replied to and about SQA. In the meanwhile, one of the usenet group
responded to what i was looking for: it's call Dejagnu. Have a better luck
in your future flames,

(and thanks for responding anyway)

Lilia

Peter T. Breuer wrote in message <8er8sr$o3q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Lilia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: it's an emulator. it basically means a tool to automate the process of
>: testing an application.  there is a manual and automated testing. and
plenty

>What kind of application? Could it test my compiler? Or my compiler
>compiler? How can the tool test anything at all without knowing its
>spec?
>
>: of packages for all OS except Linux. Winrunner (actually XRunner) by
Mercury

------------------------------

From: "G.L. Grobe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: what does this msg mean ? ...
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:02:52 -0500

This seems to happen every once in awhile (every two weeks or so). I'll
walk in my office and find that my web server is totally unresponsive
and locked up with the following msg's displaying on my screen.

================= from display ===

... (many lines of the next line here w/ diff addresses)
 [<c01096ad>] [<c0110912>] [<c01cfe76>] [<c0116b34>] [<c0109a74>]
[<c01ce8
18>] [<c01cfd0e>] [<c010e9c4>]
Code: 89 01 8b 0a 85 c9 74 08 8b 42 04 89 41 04 eb 06 8b 42 04 89
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

================= end ===

Usually after a boot (sometimes two) everything is back up and running
fine. Is this a drive problem of some sort? The box is a RH6.1 distrib
on an intel 266 w/ 128Mb.

Any ideas/hints/suggestions to what this means would be much
appreciated.

TIA

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fabio S.)
Subject: Stange problem with HP DJ 895Cxi
Date: 4 May 2000 17:07:37 GMT

Hi,
I installed that printer and I get a strange behaviour. That is, it works,
it prints fine, but after the end of the print the "on" led keep on
blinking, then it stops and the paper led lights on.
Then it is enough to switch it of manually and everything is ok (but this
is not nice...:-(
I stress that the paper _is_ out, there is no need of a SEND_EOF.
Moreover, if I give the SEND_EOF, the printer ejects a blank sheet of
paper and the it gets in the same situation.
For the settings:

ghostscript-fonts-6.0-1
ghostscript-6.01-1
rhs-printfilters-1.51-2
printtool-3.44-2

and the driver is cdj550 (as suggested by the aladdin compatibility
database). BTW, it is the only one which gives some output...

Can you help me?

Thanks

Fabio

------------------------------

From: Jim Townsend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,netscape.communicator
Subject: Re: Netscape
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:08:12 -0500

Ian wrote:

> Hello, I have just had to borrow a modem cause of this winModem bobbins. I
> am really struggling now with setting up my mail and newsgroup server and my
> netscape navigator browser. I have logged on with my freeserve stuff from my
> windows setup which allows me to get a connection, but I can't get any joy
> from the browser. If anyone could help me out it would be great, if more
> details are neede please let me know. Ian

Yeah... a few more details other than "I can't get any joy" would be
useful :)

Does Netscape run ?   What happens when you try to connect to a URL ?
What happens when you try connect to your mail account or news server ?

./Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Set user id (uid) on execute in chmod not working?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 16:56:50 GMT

I'm trying to get squid http caching to start on
boot.  Squid should be run as a plain user
and not root in case there is a bug in squid.
I can't get set uid to work as describe
in the docs in Caldera 2.3 linux.

I set the set uid bit to test file (squidst) if set uid works:

root> chmod 6755 squidst
root> cat squidst
#! /bin/bash
id
root> ls -l squidst
-rwsr-sr-x   1 user  user       803 May  4 08:52 squidst
root> ./squidst
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

As you can see set uid bit does not seem to be working
like it does on other unix flavors I've used.

Can somebody try this test to see if they get it to work
on their machine?

Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 13:26:59 -0400
From: "Art S. Kagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Set user id (uid) on execute in chmod not working?

IMS bash/Linux does not support SUID scripts only executables for security
reasons.  It's just to easy to insert a wrapper script to replace some
program and do mischief.

Art S. Kagel

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: upgrade
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 11:43:21 -0500

Andrew Wai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a redhat 5.2 with a 1.2 GB hard disk that has been slowly
> upgraded over the years. It is now almost full and I wish to upgrade
> my pc with a 4GB drive. The problem is what is the best way to preserve
> my system as it has lots of files and configs on there I want to keep
> using. I just want to be able to have the same computer running again
> with
> a new larger drive/partitions. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Andrew

I would install the second disk and then install Linux on it.
If you do this carefully, you should still have access to what
is on the first disk.  You can then copy things over.   But
think carefully about how you want to partition the second disk.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: good email client for Linux?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 17:46:26 GMT

Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.
Netscape mail only supports one POP3 account and
is slow.