From: The Dude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: chown
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 15:55:17 GMT

how do I chown to a directory & to a file on a mounted hard drive?

--
Regards
              The Dude

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ppp with worldnet.att
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:15:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chuck Busby
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone had success using linux on the worldnet.att isp?  If so, how
> do I log on?  ppp keeps crashing unexpectedly.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ha Ha. I had a hell of a time getting my mom's worlnet isp to work.
The way I got it to work was adding the user name and password to
/etc/chap-secrets so it would look like this:
# client        server          secret                  IP addresses
username    *                   password
You would then need the standard scripts etc. I used X-isp to handle that stuff.
Somewhere you need to specify that the isp uses chap to authenticate.
The isp seems to disconnect me a lot. Hope this works.

------------------------------

From: George Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie question
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 12:11:12 -0400

==============EA74BEFB35B081456B7F2B3E

Hello,

    I have a really simple question.  In the script file for xwindows
"xinit" I came across this statement:

    if [ -n "$BASH.ENV" ]; then "$BASH.ENV"

I am not sure what the -n means and I don't know where to look for this
usage.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
==============EA74BEFB35B081456B7F2B3E

begin:vcard
n:Bell;George
tel;home:703-533-9433
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fn:George Bell
end:vcard

From: BuDMaN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: chown
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:19:05 GMT

In article <8f43kv$jo7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  The Dude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> how do I chown to a directory & to a file on a mounted hard drive?

chown -R user.group <directory_name>

for example:

chown -R root.root /etc

 Is that what you want?

--

BuDMaN

From: BuDMaN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernal 2.3
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:25:02 GMT

In article <8f3mp8$ocn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Michael Ahumibe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi
>
> does anyone know where I can download kernal 2.3 from?
> would I lose all my old kernal settings doing this?

 kernel 2.3 is an unstable release, so be careful with that. You can
download it at any mirror of sunsite (metalab.unc.edu). Try
ftp.kernel.org as well
 About your settings, you'll probably loose them, because you might want
to do a clean install instead of using patches.

From: Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO stops at LI
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:30:06 GMT

Dear Calvin

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate that. At the moment, i've already
deleted everything within my Linux partition. I took this drastic step as i
need to get into Windows urgently, unfortunately.

The steps i've taken is as follow:

1) Boot up from a Partition Magic ver4 floppy.

2) Get into the partition information and delete the linux partitions.

This is one bit i don't really understand though. I found someone to do
this for me while i watch and learn from it. Am i right to say that when a
partition is removed from a hdd, does that empty space automatically goes
to Windows, which in my case is the other OS i have? It doesn't appear to
be the case when i view it under PM5 where it says there is an unallocated
partition.
Is there any safe way i can transfer that space to Windows? PM5 may have
this function but i don't think i want to face another unexpected problem
again.

Anyway thanks Calvin for your suggestion. I'll keep that in mind and try it
when i encounter this problem again.

Sincerely
Henry

Calvin wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>     I have the same problem twice in the past. I didn't do anything to my
> hard disk but one day i boot my computer. It stops at LI also. You need
> re-install your LILO. And i use the following method. Hope it helps.
> 1) Boot your linux box with the rescue floppies.
> 2) WHen you get into the ram disk. make a new directory:
> mkdir rescue
> 3) Mount your linux partition on the new created directory:
> mount -t ext2 <DEVICE> rescue
> note: where device is your linux partition like /dev/hda4. You can always
> check it out by typing fdisk -l
> 4) Create a link in your ram disk called "boot" to the "boot" directory
in
> your linux partition:
> ln -s /rescue/boot /boot
> 5) Re-install lilo by the following command (I am supposing your lilo is
at
> /sbin):
> /rescue/sbin/lilo -C /rescue/etc/lilo.conf -v
> 6) After that, reboot your computer. To see it works or not.
>
>     It is a stupid method to do so many steps as i think there must be a
> more convenience method. Anyway, i fixed my lilo twice by using this
method.

> Best regards
> Calvin
>
> Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Dear John
> >
> > Thanks for your help. Unfortunately as i can't access my linux
partition,
> > there isn't much i can do abotu the files you mentioned. As i've posted
> > a few helpful others, i intend to pull out completely and start all
over
> > again later as i need desperately to get into Windows.
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions as to how can i remove the Redhat
partitions
> > (incl the swap partn) completely and expand the Windows partition? What
> > about the mbr and such? Is there anything else i need to do? I was told
> > cannnot use the fdisk from Dos to remove them as it won't recognise
them.
> > Is that true?
> >
> > Once again, thanks for your help.
> >
> > Henry
> >

> > John in SD wrote:
> > >
> > > In reducing the size of your RedHat partition, two files critical to
> > > the boot process moved:  /boot/map and /boot/boot.b.  These files are
> > > referenced at absolute disk locations from the LILO first stage
loader
> > > (the guy who puts out the 'LI').
> > >
> > > Boot from a floppy and then re-run LILO to reinstall the loader.
> > >
> > > --John

Win95.

From: Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:30:07 GMT

Dear Metaboy

The problem began when i have none of my emergency disk or any backup with
me, when i left them overseas. I've fixed the problem by removing the Linux
partitions using PM4 on a floppy. This i think removed LILO and any Linux
content from the hdd. All that remains now is a pure Windows machine.

Thank your for your suggestion.
Henry

From: Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:30:06 GMT

Dear Leonard

I got someone to fix the problem for me, through the removal of the Linux
partitions (unfortunately) using PM4 on a floppy. He also suggested
fdisk/mbr but somehow the laptop just accept the command without further
response. A reboot showed up the same problem again. I honestly do not know
why. Strangely but most fortunately though, after using PM4, everything
under the Windows remained intact and i was able to work under Windows as
before from then.

No, I've not noticed anything unusual from both the hardware or the content
within the Win partition.

  Can you boot from a DOS/Windows floppy? If so, can you see the C: drive
after you boot by dir c:

This was the furthest i could go after booting up from a Win setup disk. I
could see C:\ and can do anything that can be performed under dos. The only
"catch" was that i cannot run anything that requires Windows.

  Perhaps some Windows based emergency software running from a DOS floppy
could be of some help.

Like i mentioned earlier, PM4 was used to get in. Would you be abl to tell
me if PM5 has this function as well? I'm not referring to the emergency
boot disk that the prog prompts to create initially(just for the laptop/pc
that it has been installed), but the software itself on a floppy.

Henry

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Henry wrote:
> >
> > Dear Leonard
> >
> > Thank you for the detailed explanation. Unfortunately i've been
> > unsuccessful. After getting into DOS mode, i tried fdisk/mbr and there
> > wasn't any response form teh laptop. Upon rebooting, the pc just
stopped
> > at the same stage, now without the "LI". I tried this both with and
> > without the write protection for the boot record feature turned on
within
> > the BIOS but the result remained unchanged.
> >
> > Next, i downloaded (from another pc) both the DOS and Linux version of
the
> > root/boot rescue disk from www.toms.net/rb/home.html. Within the
readme,
> > it was written i should use the linux version of it if i already have
> > linux install on teh pc. However, as the files (expanded or not) are
too
> > big to fit into a floppy, i couldn't get it into the laptop. I only
have
> > winzip as a decompresion tool but it works only under Windows. So there
is
> > no way i can try that. Do you have any suggestions?
> >
> > At present, as i need to get into Windows urgently, can i know if there
is
> > anyway i can remove the entire redhat partitions (including its swap
> > partition) and give full expansion to Windows? I'll get back to linux
> > again when i'm more settled. I was told that the fdisk in Windows
cannot
> > do the job as it can't recognise the linux partitions. What do you
> > suggest? I've also went to redhat's website but couldn't download just
the
> > LILO component. I'm rather lost and hope you can advice me further.
Don't
> > forget though that i don't have any linux CD or cd burner with me. The
> > Redhat was installed by a friend when i went overseas recently, adding
> > the mess.
> >
> > Many Thanks
> > Henry

Win95.
> > It
> > reduce
> > space

> > the

> > except
However i

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
Subject: BSD Symantics? Is that a kernel option?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:34:30 GMT

I'm working thru the LinuxFromScratch howto and I'm stuck at
the installation of netkit-base-*.tar.gz. When I unpack it and
run ./configure it says 'BSD Symantecs required' is this a kernel
compile option?

--
Matthew Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Now showing... Mandrake Linux 7.02

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MerefBast)
Subject: computer viruses on LINUX
Date: 07 May 2000 16:44:22 GMT

   Hi. I am looking for information to compare the susceptibility of various
operating systems to computer viruses.

   I am particularly interested in references for factual information about the
kinds, nature, and number of security holes, as well as the number of actual
viruses, worms, and Trojan Horses for each operating system.

   A copy of the information to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> would be appreciated.

   Thanks....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: looking for advice with making tape backups
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 16:39:35 GMT

I would like to ask anyone who has the time to respond to tell me what
he's using for tape backup scripts, etc..  I am trying to make backups
over the lan to a machine with a DDS1 (2 GB native) tape drive, and need
to be able to do multi-volume backups.

So, I tried a line like this:

tar SMzcvf - . --exclude='*.o' | buffer | ssh taper "buffer > /dev/tape"

which I was hoping would write a compressed archive to the tape on the
"taper" machine.  Unfortunately however, I received this error:

tar: Cannot use multi-volume compressed archives

Well, I can understand why tar can't do that.  I imagine it's because
it's sending the tar output to gzip and therefore no longer has any
means of detecting that the end of the tape has been reached.

Is there any other arrangement of the utilities that will make this
work?  I suppose I need the data to be compressed *before* it's sent to
the archiving program (tar, cpio, whatever)?

In case it matters, this is on a Debian potato system.

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redhat 6.1 install woes
Date: 7 May 2000 17:07:41 GMT

Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Christoph Kukulies wrote:
:>
:> I tried to install RH 6.1 on a P90 ASUS PCI/P54SP4 board, 64MB,
:> 2 IDE (M-2.2 GB Maxtor, S-2.1 GB Quantum FB), ELSA Victory Erazor,
:> Intel Etherexpress NIC.
:>
:> Nothing fancy, as one can see.
:>
:> Installing runs fine, I install a minimum system, on root
:> partition of 2192 MB (or something like that), 350 MB swap on second IDE.
:>
:> But when I reboot first time I just can see the letters LI
:> (obviously from LILO) and then stop. Nothing anymore. I can only
:> CTRL-ALT-DEL.
:>
:> Tried this now three times, even with IDE Normal mode.
:>
:> --
:> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: In principle, the installation should have created a boot
: floppy for you.  (If it didn't, reinstall but use the
: upgraded Anaconda installation floppy images from the RedHat
: Errata or a mirror site.  Actually, you could probably just
: choose the upgrade option if you have already installed.)
: Boot from that and use fdisk to
: show your partitioning.  For IDE disks,
: fdisk -l /dev/hda
: fdisk -l /dev/hdb
: will exhibit the partitioning information.  That way we can
: tell if  you have encountered the 1024 cylinder limit.
: For completeness, also show us what
: more /etc/lilo.conf
: shows, but I expect that would not be the problem.

[root@dgate kuku]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 523 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       407   1640992+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2           408       523    467712    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           408       440    133024+  82  Linux swap

#df
/dev/hda1              1615152    700988    832116  46% /

dmesg output:

Linux version 2.2.12-32 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Mon Oct 25 19:43:07 EDT 1999
Detected 90002821 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 35.84 BogoMIPS
Memory: 63060k/65536k available (1008k kernel code, 412k reserved, 992k data, 64k
init, 0k bigmem)
DENTRY hash table entries: 262144 (order: 9, 2097152 bytes)
Buffer-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
Page-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: Intel Pentium 75 - 200 stepping 04
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xfc8f0
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 00:00
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 00:00
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 00:00
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 65536 bhash 65536)
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS not found.
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
CMD640: ignored by ide_scan_pci_device() (uses own driver)
ide0: buggy cmd640b interface on PCI (type1), config=0x5e
ide1: serialized, secondary interface okay
cmd640: drive0 timings/prefetch(on) preserved
cmd640: drive1 timings/prefetch(on) preserved
cmd640: drive2 timings/prefetch(on) preserved
cmd640: drive3 timings/prefetch(on) preserved
hda: Maxtor 82160D2, ATA DISK drive
hdb: QUANTUM FIREBALL SE2.1A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CREATIVE CD4834E, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15 (serialized with ide0)
hda: Maxtor 82160D2, 2060MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=523/128/63
hdb: QUANTUM FIREBALL SE2.1A, 2014MB w/80kB Cache, CHS=1023/126/32
hdc: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
   8regs     :    89.535 MB/sec
   32regs    :    66.294 MB/sec
using fastest function: 8regs (89.535 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
 hdb:
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed
Adding Swap: 133016k swap-space (priority -1)
  PCI latency timer (CFLT) is unreasonably low at 0.  Setting to 32 clocks.
eth0: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 at 0xe400, 00:A0:C9:1b:41:97, IRQ 10.
  Board assembly 352509-003, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip DP83840 PHY #1.
  DP83840 specific setup, setting register 23 to 8462.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x49caa8d6).
  Receiver lock-up workaround activated.

: If you aren't encountering the 1024 cylinder limit problem,
: there could be some geometry mismatch.  You would have to give
: us more detail about your BIOS and whatever else you can tell
: us.   And of course, there could just have been some glitch
: in the installation such that lilo was not run properly and
: doing again will resolve the issue.

: If you are encountering the 1024 cylinder limit problem,
: although there is a new version of lilo which overcomes the
: problem, you probably can't use it because your BIOS probably
: doesn't support the extended BIOS call that is necessary.
: You can try adding the linear option and see what happens,

I have added the linear option in the latest installation I did
and this didn't change anything.

: but either you will have to repartition with /boot in
: a partition below cylinder 1024, use loadlin or something
: similar, or just boot from a floppy.

: --