From: Joachim Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A strange netscape problem. Bus error for some users only
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:54:16 +0200

==============227D7D2FCB876DD8A9EB1325

Hi,

I run into a similar problem with my SuSE 6.4.
As root I could run NS but not as normal user. With 'strace' I found out, that
NS tries to open a file called: /tmp/ndebug or similar(I can't recall exactly)
and receives a Permission denied which it seems to ignore.
By changing the file permissions to 666 everything works fine.
I hope this points you into a helpfull direction.

Joachim

cpw wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm running a generic slackware 7.0 release, with the Netspace
> Communicator 4.7 that came with it, and things were fine for quite awhile.
> I have 3 users, call them A, B, and C with successive uids.  A, B were
> created right off the bat when I installed, C a little later.
>
>         B doesn't use netscape much, but did a few weeks ago and
> netscape didn't work.  I didn't pay much attention at the time, but today
> B still couldn't use it so I looked a little deeper.  What I've found is
> that A and C can still can use netscape with no problem, but B can't.
> I tried moving B's .netscape directory so that it would be like an initial
> netscape invocation with the licensing agreements popping up, uh uh, didn't
> get that far.  I tried restoring B's complete directory tree from an
> archive of Jan 1,2000 (when I believe netscape work), no go.  I tried
> creating new users and netscape wouldn't work for them!  But it works for
> A and C (and C is 'newer' than B). Normally I click an icon on the desktop
> for netscape but I tried invoking it from an xterm window as 'netscape &',
> and did a ps -a, and after a second or two it quit with a bus error.  So
> I tried invoking it from within the gnu debugger, gdb, and found that it
> got a segmentation fault in a call to vfprintf.  I put a breakpoint at
> vfprintf and it works OK maybe 20 times then has the problem.  Now, one of
> the most common sources of segmentation faults is passing a bad pointer to
> functions like vfprintf so I assume that's what's happening.  I don't have
> the source to netscape and the binary is stripped, so I can't get too
> much into debugging.  But why only some users and not all?  Anybody ever
> seen anything like this?  Anybody got any ideas.

==============227D7D2FCB876DD8A9EB1325

begin:vcard
n:Schneider;Joachim
tel;work:069 696 90323
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Lufthansa Systems;FRA AR4
adr:;;Am Weiher 24;Kelsterbach;;65451;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;1568
fn:Joachim Schneider
end:vcard

==============227D7D2FCB876DD8A9EB1325==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Palmer)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: IP to MAC address
Date: 16 May 2000 19:25:40 +1000

Ravi is of the opinion:
>I was wondering if there is an API or an ioctl call in linux to which I
>can pass on the IP
>address of  machine and it can return me the MAC address of the machine
>if the machine is

Try the following:

man 7 arp
lynx http://www.faqs.org/rfc/rfc826.txt

>pls reply to e at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Post here, read here.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:04:38 -0500

GIRISH PATIL wrote:

> 1) I want to learn linux from scratch from where should i begin, like are
> their any site which will give all the information for a beginner.

try

http://www.linuxdoc.org
http://www.linuxnewbie.org

for starters

> 2) Is their a difference in the O.S for different purposes, if so then
> please let me know in general if i am going to use oracle.

Attempting to install Oracle on Linux is not for newbies. It tends to
be difficult enough for folks experienced in both Linux and oracle
(the fact that the Oracle installer is severly broken, has a lot to do
with it).

http://technet.oracle.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: GNU tar compress on the fly?
Date: 16 May 2000 14:23:29 GMT

In article <8fn40l$v2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Bernhard Brueck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Steve Feil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> tar vczf - | ...
> or when you want to create a file on another computer

I tried the one below and got
tar: jw@vnr200\:/tmp/files.tar.gz: Cannot open: I/O Error

Both computers run SuSE6.4
What can I do about it?
Regards Jacob

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues!
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:16:40 +0100

Slight change of tack....

I looked up details of cable modems and it looks as if they are basic
routers. I guess it has been configured with the ip address of
6.34.213.129  - hence being the gateway address for externally bound routes.
when you ping that address it indicating that is is picking up traffic (rcv
flashes) but does not send it back (no transmit).

Make sure that it is in fact configured as 96.34.213.129/28
(96.34.213.129/255.255.255.128)

Can you telnet to it to configure it (doh, can't ping it = cant telnet
it....). Does it have a serial port to configure it? If you can connect to
it via a serial port and some kind of terminal software (eg MS
hyperterminal) ou may be able to ping from there - try pinging the outside
world and ping the linux box. A standard setup for a router is to have the
first address of a class subnet. Therefore are you sure it's address is not
96.34.213.1 in which case the 28 bit subnet mask would stop it and the linux
box talking.

Have fun :-)

Steve

Steve Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:bscU4.38792$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hmmmmm that all looks OK.
>
> Things to try:
>
> Disable the internal network 'eth0', restart the networking and see if it
> still fails. You can disable with linuxconf, netcfg or edit the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ipcfg-eth0 file.
>
> If the recieve light is flashing on the modem then the outgoing packets
> *from the modem* are OK - so the fault could be between that device and
the
> NIC. Now being a lowly Brit, I haven't seen a cable modem, so I don't know
> what sort of device it is. I guess it is connected via a piece of CAT5
cable
> with RJ45 plugs (regular network cable or crossover) to the NIC - eth1. If
> this is the case, could the modem in fact be a basic router - in which
case
> it too needs to be configured to route back to eth1. A hint to this would
be
> if the cable is a crossover - that is, intended to replace a hub with only
2
> connections  - as it appears the modem is then it's own network device.
> Then again, I could be talking out of my ar*e.
>
> Finally, try reconfiguring the NIC's the 'other way around' just to make
> sure the card is OK - or use various diagnostic tools that would have come
> with the NIC. Another thing would be to get a 'spare' pc set up with the
IP

From: "Steve Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:17:43 +0100

Slight change of tack....

From: Grahame Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux compared to Windows 2000
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 00:16:10 +1000

Amit,

This is sacred ground!  Those who tread this path are likely to be
tested beyond what a normal man can endure.  However the victory will
become a better Kernel against which all will be measured.

After the ascent of your standards you will meet HPux and you will pass
the Oracle, you can then enter the Skybase and beyond the Sun, or else
all will become Micros**t, to be cast into that lake of filthy DOS, the
enemy of all that is nice and decent, open and free.(Don't you just hate
typeover mode).  Your quest is almost like that of the great Novell.

Remember to keep the sayings of the array[alpha,  arm,  i386,  m68k,
mips, ppc,  s390,  sparc,  sparc64], but still be found holding the
Crusoe which is cool to the touch.

Uptime is the key, stability of the platform is essential, protection.
Power and strength and unity are found by congregating in ever
increasing numbers, as penguins do.  Whilst one has the power of many,
great is the cluster.

The wall of fire even though like a Fortress is not your only defense.
You must not let any but the chosen to touch your keys or even to find a
route into the inner layers. Beware of other entrances through the
crypt.

Cursed is thee who enter in without invitation.  Cursed are the MCSE who
corrupt the sacred communications with hidden odes and apis, who force
the inhabitants to swing on that precarious platform, to collaborate in
such a way.

You have been given strength against the viruses that infect the general
populous. Alas, you will be isolated from the day when all are cut down
in their own filesystem, when all are awakened to a better way but for
the bigots who Knash in the pond of netbui, who will never understand
the protocol of control and transmission, who are hung with a little
delay, who are limited to 1 lonely process.  We have pity for their
scheduler, with nothing to do.

You will see the devfs demystified whilst traveling 2.4.  You will not
see only one unit in every abode, but you will see many!  They will have
power to activate and deactivate and thus from afar.  You will not smoke
as there is otherwise no place for the device in your pocket, soon to
become even smaller and more powerful.  Communications, predictions,
many pleasures and many cunning devices, ahh! you are in the age of
innovation, of freedom, of cooperation.  But again beware of greed as
there is much gold.  Do not let the fabric be destroyed by fools, O,
cast them out, cast them out.

Remove that bloody hat when thou enters the inner most sanctum; the
kernel. Where it does not matter what be you color or what be your
dialect, all are honored all are made free, all have the gift of the
people, which is for the people and by the people again.  Given without
price for all to use all to admire, and all to see.  Whose bowels are
constantly caressed by those that are called, whose channels are
rerouted for maximum flow, whose physical being is slim and sleek and
like that of a creature of the sea.  Cool, just cool is the atmosphere
in the corporation that employs the kernel in all sanctums.  Even the
top of the desk will give place gladly to this environment.

The system requires skill and should be carefully administered, though
defaultly it be not hard.  One can do many things and not require great
overhead, one can do all.

We know not what we do.  We create we refine we connect.  Beware in case
one mortal controls all, beware more if one who was cast out finds the
network a worthy host, we may not find the way to deactivate howbeit
simple.  We may need help.

Yoda

Amit Cohen wrote:

> I am looking for a good survey, concerning Linux (mainly RedHat) VS.
> Win2000.
> I am highly interested in points like running threads, memory management,
> I/O, networking, high availability, scalability, ease and quality of system
> administration etc.
> I thought I will find thousands of articles while searching the web, but I
> was wrong. I would appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Amit

=======================
- I see, I forget;    -
- I read I know;      - (Understanding Year 1&2 Maths)
- I do, I understand. -       (Alan Horsfield)
=======================

------------------------------

From: Luke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux problem
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:30:09 GMT

sfcybear wrote:

> Do you have the file privlages set so that root can read it? Hint `ls
> -l`
>

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Luke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am running Linux server and when I try to access certain files for
> > example: /etc/named.conf. My server says "access denied". I can't even
> > access the files when logged in as root. WHY!
> >                                                      Luke Demeusy

> > Posted via CNET Help.com
> > http://www.help.com/
> >
> Thank you so much for the help. I tried it and it worked. I have
complete access to my files.                Luke Demeusy

Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:28:13 +0300
From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP:Interacting with Microsoft networks

Hi all

I'm a new and only user of linux, in a small  Microsoft network domain.
I want to "see" other computers in the network, most important  is the
server with
the shared disk.

I know that I have to use the smbclient  application and I have to
modify the smb.conf file,
but I don't understand how.

If someone can tell me how to do this, or refer me to a good and simple
document I will be greatfull.

Thanks
Golan D.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 16 May 2000 14:38:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ravi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I was wondering if there is an API or an ioctl call in linux to which I
| can pass on the IP
| address of  machine and it can return me the MAC address of the machine
| if the machine is
| in the LAN. The API can try first a local ARP cache lookup and if the
| address
| is not present in the local cache it can broadcast the ARP request and
| get the
| response from the m/c and pass back the MAC address.

  Feel free to start with a good network programming book... you can
easily do it in a shell script, using the 'host' and 'arp' commands. It
only works for directly connected machines.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  "Doing interesting things with little computers since 1979"(tm)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: xcdRoast making CDs which are not readable by Windows.
Date: 16 May 2000 10:45:55 EDT

On Tue, 16 May 2000 09:52:03 -0400, Frederick Artiss
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:

>You didn't understand the point. UNDER LINUX (xcdroast), you have a whole
>host of options about what filesystem to create on the CD. There are
>options to use "DOS" or "Windows with long filenames". I would think
>that "DOS" would create ISO9660 files 8.3 compliant which should be
>readable by any OS.

Say WHAT?

mkisofs, which is the program that does the actual work of creating the
CD's filesystem, creates an ISO 9660 filesystem by default.  ISO 9660 CDs
always have all their filenames in 8+3 format.  mkisofs has several
options to add Joliet extensions and/or Rock Ridge extensions to the ISO
9660 filesystem.  These extensions allow for long filenames (both),
symbolic links, UID/GIDs, and more than 8 levels of subdirectories (Rock
Ridge.)  These extensions are supposed to be totally transparent if the
user mounts the CD using an OS or driver that doesn't understand Joliet or
Rock Ridge.

At least, that's what i've found... the Apex DVD player reads CDs full of
MP3s, but it can't handle Rock Ridge or Joliet extensions, so all the
filenames show up as 8 chars only.  This device is less intelligent than a
386 with DOS 6.2, so I don't know what the problem could be with your
system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that very old CD-ROM drives may not be
able to read CD-R media, and any CD-ROM made before 1998 has no chance of
reading CD-RW media.  All CD-RW-capable CD-ROM drives are supposed to have
the "MultiRead" logo on them, but I've found a few without the logo that
can read CD-RWs just fine.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: "Mark Dawson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lilo problems with Sco openserver 5
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:50:37 +0100

Hi

I have successfully installed Mandrake 7.0 and Windows 98 and have correctly
configured lilo so that I can dual boot.
I have installed Sco Unix but I am having problems trying to get Sco to boot
through lilo. I have installed Sco correctly but I am unsure how to
configure it within lilo.
When my PC boots up if I choose Sco (at the lilo boot prompt) my PC just
hangs!!

Does anyone know where I am going wrong? or do you have any documentation on
how to configure lilo correctly to run Sco Unix ver. 5?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance
Mark

From: "JCA Insernet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: all new files/folder create with Win98 clients are in upper case !!
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:51:51 +0200

I can do everything ... every time i create a new file in my samba share, it
appear as a upper letters files ...

what can i do ??

samba 2.0.6 on Mandrake 7.0 ...

JCA