From: Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! Glibc-2.1.3 compile problems...
Date: 18 Aug 2000 13:00:54 +0200

 > Hello.
 >    I am trying to compile glibc-2.1.3 on Debian/GNU 2.1R2.  I
 > have upgraded gcc to 2.95.2 and downloaded the crypt and
 > linuxthreads additional modules.  I also upgraded to kernel
 > 2.2.16.

 >    Two problems occurred so far:
 > 1) One of the dependency files was erroneously created with a T on the
 > end - renamed it and I was able to continue.

 > 2) The linuxthreads extension will not compile.  GNU Make and gcc
 > complain about missing include files "bp_sym.h" and "shlib-compat.h".
 > Neither of these files exist on my system.
Download the correct versions - linuxthreads 2.1.3 is the version you
need.  You can't mix different glibc versions.  bp_sym.h is introduced
in 2.1.91.
 >     Does anyone have any ideas ?  Are they part of the binutils source (
 > I only have the binary installed binutils ) ?  Am I missing a required
 > package ?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without*
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:06:32 GMT

  E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:07:20 -0700, wrote :

EJ> Why don't you and your modem go to a friend's place with Windows?  Download the
EJ> flash upgrade and download it to your modem.
EJ> Another option is to try to use dosemu or wine (DOS emulator or the windows
EJ> emulator) on your linux box to run the flash upgrade
EJ> download to your modem.

Most of my friends also run (only) Linux...  Or else I am not sure how to
'install' my modem and then deinstall it and reinstall the original
modem -- *I* know almost NOTHING about windows and most of the friends I
have who have MS-Windows know even less...

I don't have either dosemu or wine installed.  I am not sure I want to
install either.

--
                                     \/

From: Klaus Strebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where are the LVM tools for 2.4 kernel?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:16:50 +0200

blowfish wrote:

> rizophage wrote:
> >
> > I've got a Promise AT-100 card working with the 2.4-pre 5 kernel and a
> > couple of 7200 RPM IBM ATA-100 drives. (Speed? Oh man!!!)
> >
> > I would like to play with LVM in the kernel, however I can't find the
> > tools such as pvcreate, lvcreate, etc. that are mentioned in
> > linux/Documentation/LVM-HOWTO. Where's the official site for these
> > beasties?
Have a look at <http://linux.msede.com/lvm/>. It's the offical source
for LVM!

Ciao
Klaus
--
Klaus Strebel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Stephen J. Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop Database
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:21:45 +0100

Does MySQL contain a screen designer, report designer etc?

Thanks.

Stephen.

------------------------------

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: remote host
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:31:45 +0100

Hi all

Back to rlogins... I want to automatically setup the DISPLAY env. variable
for remote logins. It's quite easy (?) for just one remote login. But if
there are more? Say, you are sitting at the terminal of A. You remotely
login to B. From it (for whatever reason) you login to C... Can anyone
setup the DISPLAY to A:0.0?

Thanks
Guennadi
___

Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski
Sheffield Centre for Earth Observation Science
Department of Applied Mathematics
University of Sheffield
Hicks Building, Hounsfield Road
Sheffield S3 7RH
phone: +44-(0)114-222-3798
fax:   +44-(0)114-222-3739
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: Address Book or PIM for Linux?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:54:04 GMT

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:35:19 GMT, Christopher Browne wrote:
>Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when J Garcia would say:
>>I am looking for an address book/PIM program for Linux
>>which would run in character mode (console app just
>>like the minicom program) with ability to export info
>>to text files. I am not interested in GNOME bloatware
>>apps btw. Anybody want to recommend their favorite
>>app? Thanks for replying.
>
>Just like the long-talked-about SVGAlib-based web browser, this is
>something that has been talked about, albeit not as much, but which has
>not seen any serious attempt at implementation.

I've noticed that some X PIM programs will have a small console
companion but none seem to be full-screen.

Far as SVGAlib browser there's Arachne. Not all the functionality of
the DOS version but it works. Guaranteed to crash on occasion.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<

Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 06:54:11 -0500

Robert Heller wrote:

> I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
> it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
> installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
> $189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
> makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
> modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
> C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
> files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.
>
> Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
> anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
> *external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
> the serial port than Linux cannot?

Have you checked the comp.dcom.modem archives on dejanews yet?  Modem
upgrades was a hot topic there during the holy wars over "56K" protocols.
You might find some clues there. In fact, you *might* even find the name of
a knowledgeable poster there that you recognize from the Linux groups.

Another thought:  I run an ancient v.everything that I bought second-hand,
already flashed to v.90.  I know for a fact that the person I bought it
from flashed it himself and at the time I got the modem he was running DOS
6.22/Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on his machines. That fact, alone, should
discourage you from being in a great big hurry to donate to Bill's
retirement fund.

Cheers

------------------------------

From: Maurizio Loreti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: remote host
Date: 18 Aug 2000 14:02:07 +0200

"Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>                    I want to automatically setup the DISPLAY env. variable
> for remote logins. It's quite easy (?) for just one remote login. But if
> there are more? Say, you are sitting at the terminal of A. You remotely
> login to B. From it (for whatever reason) you login to C... Can anyone
> setup the DISPLAY to A:0.0?

I do a LOT of remote work using dumb X-terminals and Linux, Solaris,
AIX and IRIX machines.  I have this in my .bash_profile (for csh-like
shells your mileage may vary :-):

===============================Begin code===================================
# Now, we try to setup DISPLAY appropriately

    if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]
    then
      # if DISPLAY is set, we assume it is also valid; if it is not,
      # the user may always change it later ($DISPLAY is printed at
      # the end of the login procedure).

      REMOTE="${DISPLAY%%:*}"
    else
      temp0=$(who am i | awk '{print $2}')
      if [ "$temp0" = "console" ]              # Sun workstations console
      then
        REMOTE="localhost"
        DISPLAY=":0.0"
      elif [ -z "$temp0" ]
      then
        REMOTE=""
      else
        case $(uname) in                       # Linux "who" is different
        Linux)
            temp1=$(who -l | grep "$temp0 " | uniq | awk '{print $6}')
            ;;
        *)        # or "SunOS" or unknown
            temp1=$(who | grep "$temp0 " | uniq | awk '{print $6}')
            ;;
        esac

        if [ -n "$temp1" ]
        then
          temp2=$(echo $temp1 | sed -e 's/(//' -e 's/)//')
          temp3=$(echo $temp2 | cut -d. -f2)
          if [ "$temp3" = "pd" ]               # Local domain, .pd.infn.it
          then
            REMOTE=$(echo $temp2 | cut -d. -f1)
          else
            REMOTE="${temp2%%:*}"
          fi
          unset temp2 temp3
        else
          REMOTE=""
        fi
        unset temp1
      fi
      unset temp0

      if [ -z "$REMOTE" ]
      then
        echo    "  Sorry, can't understand where you are."
        echo -n "  Enter manually your host name: "
        read REMOTE junk
      fi

      DISPLAY="${REMOTE}:0.0"
    fi
    export REMOTE DISPLAY

    echo "DISPLAY is now: $DISPLAY"
===============================End code===================================

If you log into B from A, B's DISPLAY is set to A:0.0 ; if, after, you
log into C from B, DISPLAY will be set to something like C:10.0 and
the X windows will open on A.  Hope that helps,  M.

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Univ. of Padova, Dept. of Physics - Padova, Italy            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO error while loading DOS
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:47:25 -0400

He could do what was mentioned, except that the dos command.com will not
work in win9x. Also, booting with a win98 startup disk and doing sys c:
will copy the command.com automatically, so you won't have to copy it
before doing that step.

But I think you will have to reinstall Lilo to be able to boot into
Linux after that proceedure. I'm not sure, but to be safe I would have a
bootable Linux floppy just in case.

"Dances With Crows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:29:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Few months back, I've installed LINUX and Windows 98 with LILO on my
PC
> >and everything was running fine without any problems until recently.
> >Now, when I try to run Windows 98 from LILO, I get an error message.
> >Actually, here is what I see:
> >LILO boot: dos
> >Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g.,
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
> >C:>
> >And it just waits there.  Did anyone see this problem or has any idea
> >what this is about ?  I do not have any problems with loading the
LINUX

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash aliases, and an X question
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:48:24 GMT

In article <8nfflb$aa5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm dumb, please don't hold that against me :)
>
> Q1)  I have some aliases and exported paths and such in my .bashrc

You might want to explore bash's functions which are superior to
aliases.  They are exportable too, export -f.  See the man-page.

Guess GNU included alias support as a compatability move.
--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Aug 2000 09:02:40 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens) writes:

> Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> >> I must apologize, I wrote in haste. It seems FreeBSD uses ^H by
> >> default. I must have tested the wrong terminal. I have rebooted my
> >> FreeBSD box and when connected, it did say erase = ^H. Well, I guess the
> >> verdict is in: every single os (other than linux) that I use uses ^H by
> >> default. Hmm, well, all that's left is to convince Linus :)
> >>
> >> Now I know which OS I need to "fix"
> >
> >if you want to "fix" the console, just hack the keyboard definition
> >file.  it's somewhere like /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty
> >i created a us+.kmap from us.kmap which switches control and
> >caps-lock.  it shouldn't be too hard to hack the back-space key to
> >send ^H.
>
> Fixing the broken initial erase character is easy too. Just
> edit INIT_C_CC in include/asm/termios.h and change \177 to \008.
> >
> >as for X, rxvt can be configured at compile time.  i have this in my
> >.xdefaults, but i try to use ^? everywhere (since emacs uses ^H as the
> >help function).
>
> Then emacs is broken. ^H is in the ascii character set as backspace.
> If a piece of software cannot even adhere to the most basic standards
> then it should fixed.

ironically, that was my first tack.  the vt100 sends ^? <del> as
opposed to ^H <bs> when you press that wide key somewhat above return.
since a vt100 sends <del>, i figured sun's attempt at emulation was
broken in sending <bs>.  perhaps your idea of a standard should be
fixed as it is that which is broken.

what does backspace mean as an ascii character?  originially it was a
command sent to the printer/card punch to back up the writing head one
step.  this was in preparation for the overstrike <del> which would
clobber the char and mark it as ignorable.  thus you had to send
<bs> *and then* <del> to actually rubout a mistake char.  today we are
left with one of them.  which is correct?

compare this to a printer or terminal which needs *both* <cr> and <lf>
to move cursor to beginning and then advance the page one line.  unix
text files end lines in just <lf>, macintosh text files end lines in
lone <cr>.  many systems require both.  which is right?

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Aug 2000 13:08:25 GMT

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> what does backspace mean as an ascii character?  originially it was a
> command sent to the printer/card punch to back up the writing head one
> step.  this was in preparation for the overstrike <del> which would
> clobber the char and mark it as ignorable.  thus you had to send
> <bs> *and then* <del> to actually rubout a mistake char.  today we are
> left with one of them.  which is correct?

I recall it differently (and someone reminded me recently):
        <del> would mark the previous character as delete.
but it's been quite a while since I used hardcopy terminals.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com