Linux-Misc Digest #500, Volume #24               Wed, 17 May 00 11:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: WYSIWYG web page generator (Ron Gibson)
  Proxy Performance (Robert Surenko)
  Re: syslog.conf question (Rob Weiss)
  Onboard soundcard cmi8330 ?????
  Rack-mounting machines (John Ioannidis)
  Re: how to change the default Window Manager in RedHat6.2 (Richard Dubrawski)
  Re: WYSIWYG web page generator (I R A Darth Aggie)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A couple of beginner questions (Dave Brown)
  Re: newbie's questions (John Cohen)
  ps broken? (SyZyGy)
  Novell Login ("Guilherme R. Freitas")
  Re: What does this mean? (James Waldby)
  How to change fonts/charset in Netscape for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to change fonts/charset in Netscape for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: XFree86-4.0 rpm installation (Silviu D Minut)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cannot enter yast2 using SuSE 6.4  (and the right password)  ? (Aron Felix
Gurski)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux ("Foogar")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: WYSIWYG web page generator
Date: 17 May 2000 14:13:54 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown) stated with conviction:

> In article <65xT4.5633$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Patrick wrote:
> >Linux people don't believe in WYSIWYG!  They are a bunch of command line
> >fools.  I however like how Frontpage does that automatic navigation buttons
> >but I really don't like Frontpage.  Is there anything else that does they
> >navigation stuff?

> Are you really seeking information from "a bunch of command line fools"?
> ....or simply trolling...

I thought a command line fool was one who is helpless without a mouse.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 56576008
Home Page: http://home.netcom.com/~rgibson/index.htm

------------------------------

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Proxy Performance
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:22:09 GMT

I've got a good handle on how to measure the throughput of a proxy
like program
I'm working with. However, I need to know a couple of things about linux.

The application I'm working with forks each time a connection comes
through. I'm trying to figure out how many times linux can do this.
I'm not looking for forks per second, but max number of connections.

How many processes can a linux box run? What parameters can I use to
increase this number?

How many sockets can linux have open? Can I increase it?

How many telnet sessions can a linux box initiate (as a client)?
I've got to around 50 before my X would not allow any more xterm's, so
I'll write a program to initiate a bunch.
I'm hoping the answer is (for a beefy box) around 200.
How many will it accept? ( I'm hoping around 2 or 3 thousand)
In 1996 a Sun Ultra processesor on 2.5.1 can have around 3000 inactive
telnet sessions. I guess that's the kind of number I'm looking for.

I've looked around in many of the on-line documentation sites
but can't seem to find these answers.

I ordered a linux performance book on March 1st but B+N don't have
it in stock yet. There is another coming in August but that's too late.
I've read 2 books on Sun performance and capacity planing and the O'Reily
"Systems Performance Tuning". They have given me some good clues,
but don't answer these questions.

Also, if someone knows this information on Solaris (2.6-2.8) or NT 4.0
I'd be thankful.

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: Rob Weiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: syslog.conf question
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:30:06 GMT

By default most messages are logged as daemon.....so

Use grep to pull out the messages you want and dump them into a log file
based on something unique to that log message. Put a logrotate script for
each log in /etc/logrotate.d

For example: I want all of my 'named' messages put in a separate log. So,
I created a /var/log/named.log file and used the logrotate script provided
by bind. In the /etc/cron.daily/logrotate script I added /usr/sbin/grep
'named' /var/log/messages > /var/log/named.log, this allows me to move the
data over to the log prior to the rotation.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Onboard soundcard cmi8330 ?????
Date: 17 May 2000 14:32:13 GMT

Hi everyone
I have a noname Made in China mainboard (It _has_ Pro XII on it so may be
 it isn't a noname at all;-) I have an AMD K6 233MHz + 64MB and SuSE6.4 on it.

Alsaconf recognises the card but the are some problems I don't understand
Could somebody give me a hint
The (error) messages are below. It make no difference if I use
alsa 0.5.5 or 0.5.7

Thanks
Regards
 Jacob
Starting sound driver: snd-card-cmi8330                               done
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 80%
amixer: Unable to read group 'Master',0: Success

Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.
root@NoName1:/root> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd-card-cmi8330        5884   0  (autoclean)
snd-ad1848             11364   0  (autoclean) [snd-card-cmi8330]
isapnp                 27316   0  (autoclean) [snd-card-cmi8330]
snd-sb16-dsp           15304   0  (autoclean) [snd-card-cmi8330]
snd-pcm                28760   0  (autoclean) [snd-ad1848 snd-sb16-dsp]
snd-timer               8032   0  (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
snd-mixer              22608   0  (autoclean) [snd-card-cmi8330 snd-ad1848
snd-sb16-dsp]
snd                    34572   1  [snd-card-cmi8330 snd-ad1848 snd-sb16-dsp snd-pcm
snd-timer snd-mixer]
soundcore               2564   0  [snd]
serial                 18516   1  (autoclean)
memstat                 1476   0  (unused)
root@NoName1:/root> rmmod snd-card-cmi8330
Segmentation fault
alsactl version 0.5.7

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Ioannidis)
Subject: Rack-mounting machines
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:29:29 GMT

What's the current wisdom on good-quality rack-mounted enclosures for
ATX motherboards?  The place I had gotten my last batch a couple of
years ago is no longer in business.  My main requirements are:

* high-quality power supply
* lots of ventilation
* at least three external bays for disk drives

Any hints?

Thanks

/ji

--
 /\  ASCII ribbon  |  John Ioannidis * Secure Systems Research
 Department

------------------------------

From: Richard Dubrawski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: how to change the default Window Manager in RedHat6.2
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:38:27 -0500

Stijn Decneut wrote:

> hi,
>
> I can't change the default window manager my RedHat chooses at login.
> Currently it goes for Gnome, but I'd like fvwm or kde.... which I now
> have to manually choose from the 'session' pull-down menu everytime I
> log in.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Stijn

I am assuming that you are using gdm as your login manager since that is
the default.  The documentation indicates that if you have no preferred
window manager set in the .gnome/gdm file, then it uses the window
manager linked to the default.  As far as I can tell this is not the
case.  It appears to always run gnome.  By following the trail of
execution, I have discovered that what really happens is that gdm calls
the Xsession file in /etc/X11/xdm and executes it.  Xsession then checks
to see if it was called with any arguments indicating what window
manager to run. Since the Default under /etc/X11/gdm/Session runs
Xsession with no arguments, Xsession simply tries to execute your
.xsession file in your home directory.  If you only want to configure
your own login, create a .xsession file in your home directory and put
the line :
exec <your window manager start program>
in it, and make the file executable (chmod +x .xsession)
If you want to make the default login for everyone to be something else,
the edit the /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients file and specify the preferred
window manager.  This will only be used if the user has no .xsession or
.Xclients file.

--
Richard Dubrawski

University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign

(web page: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~dubrawsk/)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (I R A Darth Aggie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: 17 May 2000 14:33:03 GMT

On Tue, 16 May 2000 20:28:45 -0600,
Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[another one who completely misses the point of the Web]

+ Try and read scientific papers with no graphics (no gel images,
+ no bar graphs, pie charts, plots, etc).  No journal prints text only.

Ok, answer this. Do the graphics add to the *content* or are they glitz?
Can you say "content"? thought so.

But that doesn't mean I need to see CSS, have javascript enabled, or
imagemap-capable browser to see the content. I should be able to
browse such a web-published paper with lynx, if I tell it to highlight
images so that I might invoke an image viewer at my leisure.

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:47:08 GMT

Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> DEVELOP EDUCATIONAL SOFTWARE FOR PRIMARY AND SECONDARY LEVEL SCHOOL

> If we can get Linux used in schools, it will have a good effect on
> general use in about 5 to 10 years from now.

I'm of two minds on this.

1. That was what Apple thought, and look where they are now.
2. That was what Apple thought, and it's kept them alive.

That said, 75% of Hamilton's computers are Macs, even though 85% of
the students who own computers have PCs.

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
        - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: A couple of beginner questions
Date: 17 May 2000 09:48:52 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Neil wrote:
>Tandem Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On an unrelated note, what's the easiest way to purge the data from a
>> file, ie set the EOF pointer to zero?
>
>I am not sure on your first question, but on this one:
>
>cp /dev/null file
>
>will set a file to 0.

So will:

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: John Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie's questions
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:39:22 GMT

Thanks guys, things cleared up a lot.

From: SyZyGy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: ps broken?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:59:48 -0400

Can someone explain this?  Date shows correct, but when I start a job,
it has the wrong "start time/date".  a ps also does not show the true
processes at 99% utilization ('top' works correctly), instead it shows
them as .1%

[root init.d]# ps aux |grep syslog
[root init.d]# date
Wed May 17 09:50:44 EDT 2000
[root init.d]# ./syslog start
Starting system loggers: syslogd klogd
[root init.d]# ps aux |grep syslog
root      6249  0.0  0.3   800   432  ?  S   Apr  6   0:00 syslogd
root      6261  0.0  0.1   784   164  p1 R   Apr  6   0:00 grep syslog
[root init.d]#

output from 'ps aux':
shantenu  6004  0.2  2.3  5372  3012  ?  R   Apr  6 118:55
post_thresh.7.0
shantenu  6072  0.1  2.4  5604  3144  ?  R   Apr  6  82:40
post_thresh.7.0

output from 'top'
 6072 shantenu  19   0  3144 3144   504 R       0 99.9  2.4  87:16
post_thresh.7.0
 6004 shantenu  19   0  3012 3012   504 R       0 97.2  2.3 123:30
post_thresh.7.0

Thanks,
Dan

------------------------------

From: "Guilherme R. Freitas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Novell Login
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:39:29 -0300

WeŽd like to know if there is any "Novell Client" for linux. If not,
what would be the best way to have linux loggin on a Novell Network? We
are "upgrading" the OS of some of our machines from Win to Linux, but we
still need to maintain our Novell Server. Any suggestions would be
extremelly helpful...

Thanks in advance,

Guilherme R. Freitas ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
CCE - UFMG     ( http://www.cce.ufmg.br )

------------------------------

From: James Waldby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does this mean?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:57:05 GMT

Hector Sandoval wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The number that sometimes appears besides a command is the number of
> section inside the man pages where you can find the explanation for that
> command.
> ... man 1 passwd ... is the
> explanation of the command passwd)
> man 5 passwd (is the explanation of the password file /etc/passwd)
> Hector

- When a man page only appears in one section, you don't
  need to specify the number.
- If you don't know the section number, man -a topic
  will show all the pages for topic, bringing them up
  one after another. I.e., exit from one, next appears.
- You can list several topics on one line, eg "man df du"
- apropos topic (or man -k topic) is useful for getting a
  list of man pages that mention a topic, and whereis progname
  for locating a man page file (eg "whereis" tk reports,
  tk: /usr/lib/tk8.0 /usr/include/tk.h /usr/man/mann/tk.n
  on my sys) but occasionally I have to use brute force
  techniques with variations of "locate xyz | grep man"
  to locate a man page I don't know the exact name of.
  Occasionally I even resort to xman, which lets you
  select man pages from a list.
--jiw

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.netscape,netscape.public.general,tw.bbs.comp.software
Subject: How to change fonts/charset in Netscape for Linux?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:48:50 GMT

Hi, there,

I am using Redhat 6.2 Linux (English version) with Netscape 4.72.
I visited some Web pages in Chinese Big5 format. Netscape is able to
display the pages correctly after I set Variable Width and Fixed Width
font in Preferences->Appearance->Fonts to Big5 for Chinese Encoding.

But there are some 'buttons' and pull-down menu in the pages that are
still displayed as funny characters.
Is there a setting that I can change the fonts/encoding for these
buttons and menu?

Thanks for all the help!

Roger Shum

From: Silviu D Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XFree86-4.0 rpm installation
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:58:49 -0400

Thanks!
My question wasn't an rpm question though. I know about --nodeps. I was
wondering what would happen if I did break the dependencies. Did anyone try
to run util-linux with ncurses-5? Would that ruin the whole system?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:01:04 GMT

Mongoose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   I was thinking, maybe not just servers and stuff, but an application
> that windows users have but linux doesn't. Something that would give
> windows users more of an incentive to move to linux, or help them
> migrate to linux.

The way I see it, Linux needs the following, at minimum, before it can
be a legitimate competitor to Windows:

1. A streamlined, easy install process;
2. An office suite roughly as functional as Office, and at least as
   easy to use;
3. A GUI package installation mechanism that's as easy to use as
   InstallShield (trivial if we get a file manager for GNOME or KDE); and
4. A GUI interface to the most common configuration files.

In order to beat Windows, client-side, we need:

1. A GUI interface to *all* configuration files;
2. Integration of all Linux documentation into a centralized,
   searchable help center;
3. A DirectX-like platform for hardware-accelerated devices, not
   necessarily at the kernel level;
4. Abstraction of many protocols and features, ala ODBC (which I hate
   because it never works, not because it's a bad idea); and
4. A "killer app."  Unfortately, the odds of this being in the office
   suite are about zero, as MS has far too much of an edge on this
   front.  The GIMP, with a few unique features, may have the
   potential to get there.

Linux has survived largely because its only real competitor,
reliability- and performance-wise, was NT, which few "regular" people
liked because it runs about as many Windows programs as Linux.  But
with Windows 2000 out, suddenly the "mainstream" Windows is comparably
stable and feature-laden.  I think that, unless Linux starts playing
catch-up in a big way, we're going to be relegated to the niche market
we've been, until recently, exclusively a part of.

I suppose that now I'm going to have to get Linux running again so I
can put my programming hours where my mouth is.  (Reason I'm not using
it now?  The fucking Aureal Vortex 2 drivers are (a) non-free; and (b)
unusably poor.)

From: Aron Felix Gurski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cannot enter yast2 using SuSE 6.4  (and the right password)  ?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:05:43 GMT

Rick wrote:
> I have installed suse 6.4 without any poblems. During installation i had to
> fill in a loginname and 2 passwords. One password as a user and one password
> as a administartor
> 1) I cannot loggin as a system administrator (ROOT) using ofcourse the right
> password.
> 2) I can loggin as a user but i cannot enter yast2...(using the right
> password as a administrator)
>
> When i want to enter yast and i type my (administartor) password...no
> characters (******) appaer on the screen, instead yast shuts down wtithout a
> warning.
>
> What is wrong ?

It sounds like you are typing in the wrong password for root. Are you sure that
you typed it correctly during the installation of the system? Are you taking
into account that there is a difference between upper and lower case letters in
passwords?

--
        -- Aron

NB: To reply by e-mail, remove "spam-block." from my address.
Eagles soar but a weasel will never get sucked into a jet engine.

From: "Foogar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:46:21 -0500

Something like an app that would randomly crash?  Windows could be replaced
by that!

to reply via email, send to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...