From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 23:34:41 +1000

Katriel Traum wrote:

> Well, the "dev/hdb" without the leading "/" is just a typo.
> The order of the commands is not an issue.
> /dev/hdb1 is a 800M, FAT16 primary and active partition....
>
> "Chiefy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > 01 Apr 2001 11:31 UTC, Katriel Traum did say to the dudes:
> > > Is there any reason why DOS shouldn't boot?
> > >
> > > image=/boot/vmlinuz
> > >     root=/dev/hda1
> > >     label=linux
> > > other=/dev/hdb1
> > >     table=dev/hdb
> > >     label=dos
> >
> > I'm no Lilo expert so this may be (probably is) wrong. In my lilo.conf
> > definition of 'other', the table and label entries are swapped.
> > ie label first. And table has a leading '/', table=/dev/hdb.
> >
> > > when I boot DOS, I get a "no system boot preset...." message.
> > > the linux partition boots with no problem at all.
> >
> > Silly question but, are the dos system files present on /dev/hdb ?
> >
> > --
> > Chiefy. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone somewhere, may be happy.

Try adding these lines

  map-drive = 0x80
    to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
    to = 0x80

to the section other=/dev/hdb1

This will swap the hard disks in the bios, so dos will go to the second
drive correctly.

Regards, Frank Ranner

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Odd Pauses (maybe DNS)?
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:52:30 +0200

Andrew Smith wrote ...
>Hi
>
>I have a linux box set up to act as an internet server (i.e., dialup, mail,
>news, etc...). Everything has been working fine, although recently some
>programs have been experiencing odd pauses. For example, when recieving
>email, fetchmail pauses when collecting each message.
-- Cut --
>I suspect that the problem is due to DNS lookups, as the pauses may be from
>fetchmail and sendmail checking that the to and from addresses will resolve
>(i.e. anti-spam precautions). Am I correct in thinking this? If so, what
can
>I do? I have recently switched ISPs - could my problem just be my new ISPs
>really slow DNS server or is it something else?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andrew

You might be right that it is due to DNS lookups, but it might as well be
because your provider tries to "authenticate" your machine with the ident
protocol. If you have set up firewall rules on your machine, you might be
dropping ident requests, either explicitly or implicitly by having a
catch-all rule that denies all connection attempts by dropping them (a good
security measure). By inserting a rule that rejects (i.e. returns an ICMP
message that the package was dropped) for ident connections, you might be
able to minimise the pauses.

The rule would look something like this when using ipchains:

ipchains -A input -p TCP --dport auth -j REJECT

and should be inserted just before the catch-all rule (or whatever rule that
drops the packet).

  /TRY

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: ISO image install problem...
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:34:56 GMT

"Hiawatha Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9a599n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I downloaded Red Hat 7 as an ISO image and burned it onto CDs.  Each CD
has
> just one big file on it.  How do I "open" them so I can install the
> software?  Thanks

Sorry to say - your CD burning needs to be re-done. The ISO image is an
image of the whole CD, including the file system control data. If you burned
it as a normal file, you have now two file systems inside each other.

You should have the ISO image back on the hard disk of the burner machine
and make a new CD with 'Make CD from image' option in the burner program.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: "The Spook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: How to remove the colors of dir/files in RH7.0 when in xterm?
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:59:45 +0200

Jeffrey Yu wrote ...
>I got RH7.0 installed and access it from my NT box using Exceed.
>When I do "ls -l", directories, flat files, scripts, etc, are shown in
their
>own color.
-- Cut --

I would suspect that an alias in one of the bash startup-files were to
blame. Try the command "alias" and see if it does not give you something
like "alias ls='/bin/ls --color=auto'" in one of the returned lines. If this
is the case, find the proper initialisation file and remove or correct the
alias (it's is probably in either "~/.bashrc", "/etc/bashrc", or
"/etc/profile" -- but could reside somewhere else too).

  /TRY

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: LILO installation
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:10:20 GMT

In article <99v4kc$8ll$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "John Winters" writes:

> I *think* the relevant thing is "bios=0x80" in the configuration file
> (to tell LILO that the disc *will* be /dev/hda at boot time, even if
> it isn't now).

Thanks, John.  I'll try some more today.

PS: Can you remind me what cards you can take in paymentf for disk
shipments, please?
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slave ypserv
Date: 1 Apr 2001 14:20:16 GMT

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:      [ptb wrote]
:> :> : An alternative is for the clients to make broadcast calls. But that's
:> :> : horrible.

:> : Now try again.

:> I misunderstood. I meant having a slave server by 'facility'.
:> And I thought having a slave server is just enough and
:> specifying a master and some slaves to the clients.

:> What is a slave server actually for rather than supplying the fallback
:> when the master server drops out?

: It's for running a subnet. You don't seriously think a single master
: server can supply hundreds or thousands of clients, do you? I don't
: believe the rpc broadcast calls even route!

Yes, I remember now. That's what it was for. Since the UDP (rpc)
broadcasts don't get routed (if not taken special measures at the routers).

Thanks. I now understand the difficulties involved in creating a fallback
solution.

: No, you set up a hierarchy, with slave servers serving each subnet. The
: master does a push to the slaves when its database changes. The slaves
: also pull at intervals (this all gets complicated, as you usually don't
: want the slaves or the master in the same ypdomain as the clients).

: Having several masters on the same subnet is usually a recipe for
: disaster, as they can be and usually are out of phase, and the clients get
: confused too. It only takes one time for the primary to be  slow
: at answering and then the client picks up the secondary and fixes on it
: instead, even though the primary is fine again within a few seconds.

: Peter

Thanks for the clarifications.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Sven Geggus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded
Subject: Re: Embedded system with nfsroot & ramdisk - how to boot it?
Date: 1 Apr 2001 12:55:05 GMT

In comp.os.linux.embedded Wojciech Zabolotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now I need some pointers how to arrange the boot sequence of that system.

how about just using an initrd image to be loaded via tftp?

Sven

--
wenn ping auf localhost nicht funktioniert, solltest Du zuerst TCP/IP
de- und neuinstallieren.

------------------------------

From: Jan Eric Andersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing Video Cards In Linux
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 09:23:43 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I currently have a ATI video card in my machine and am wanting to
> install a different video card. How do you tell the OS that a new card
> is installed before it tries to initialize it with the wrong drivers?
> Can someone give me information or point me to a source explaining how
> this is done? I am running Mandrake 7.2  with the ManFreq Update.
> Thank you for any assistance.

Hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a console shell, login as root, and use XFdrake to
reconfigure your graphics.

Jan Eric

------------------------------

From: "Mikael Chambon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.install
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 16:54:50 +0200

go in /etc/profile.d and delete color.sh, it should works...

Hope it helps ,

--
Mikael Chambon
[EMAIL PROTECTED] || [EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:ulFx6.86324$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Brue Halco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: CD-RW problem
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 11:02:51 -0400

When I first got my CD burner, I tore my hair out over this same
situation, until I learned that CD-RW media generally don't work
in audio CD players.  CD-R disks have been working fine.  What
kind of disks are you using?

Bruce Halco

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vegard Engen)
Subject: Implementation of RFC 1149: IP over avian carriers.
Date: 1 Apr 2001 15:35:27 GMT

11 years ago, april 1st 1990, an important RFC was written, RFC 1149: IP over
avian carriers. To this day, as far as we know, no person has implemented this
RFC, yet it has been mentioned in numerous classes and networking courses. That
time has come to an end, and RFC 1149 will finally get its first
implementation, brought to you by Bergen Linux User Group and Vesta
Pigeon Racing Club.

The CPIP WG was founded march 6th 2001, as a joint project between the two
mentioned groups. Since then, members of both clubs have been busy
with planning, experimentation and implementation. We're now so far into the
project that we feel confident that the technology is ready, and the
implementation will be finished in time.

The tentative date for the demonstration of the first implementation and the
transportation of the first packets over live pigeons is set to april 28th.
The place will be somewhere in Bergen, but due to risk of interference in the
transmission, the actual sites will not be announced, at least not yet.

The WGs project web page is http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/ - and on this
page, we'll put up minutes, plans, implementation details and in due time, a
report from the project.

Vegard Engen
Representant for the CPIP WG

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: PDF Writer
Date: 1 Apr 2001 11:23:00 -0500

In article <99p6es$jl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Unruh wrote:
>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Jon Rook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>]Can anyone direct me to an editor that can output  in PDF format.  If
>]that's not available, a utility that can translate a text or word
>]processing file into PDF would also work.   I've been looking all over
>]with no luck thus far.
>
>Use any word processor. Have it output postscript ps. The run
>ps2pdf on that file.

I've had some luck with the using html -> netscape -> ps -> ps2pdf, but
when I tried it with WP7 for Linux, the resulting ps file was rejected by
ps2pdf.  ...not all ps files are created equal?

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Wojciech Zabolotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:29:52 +0200

On 1 Apr 2001, Sven Geggus wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.embedded Wojciech Zabolotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Now I need some pointers how to arrange the boot sequence of that system.
>
> how about just using an initrd image to be loaded via tftp?

The problem is, that this is a really low memory system - it is a 8MB Xterminal.

However I've just tested the setup with combined nfsroot & initrd
structure, and it works perfectly. The bootimage is built as follows:

mknbi-linux -a "root=/dev/nfs" \
-a "nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/tftpboot/et1" \
/usr/local/src/kernel/embed/kernel-source-2.0.38/arch/i386/boot/bzImage \
-r image.gz \
-o /tftpboot/emb.bin

where image.gz is the 1MB initrd containing only /var /tmp and /etc
directories (only 150kB is used), and the /tftpboot/et1 on the server
contains the and /var /tmp /etc set as symlinks to /initrd/var /initrd/tmp
and /initrd/etc.

After booting the beast I have still 3.5MB of free memory!!!

                                Thanks for all who helped
                                Wojciech Zabolotny

From: "Cedric Chausson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED](halteauspam)>
Subject: Re: Questions on installation of Linux through NFS
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 15:07:15 +0200

Dans l'article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Craig Kelley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :

>> The machine has a 3Com 3C509A Ethernet Card. This card is not listed in
>> the list that appears when you choose NFS Image installation. I tried
>> going through by choosing others 3Com choices (like 3C501) but it did
>> not work. How can I get my card to work for the installation ?
>
> You want the 3c59x module (using 'expert' installation)

How do I get the 3c59x module ?

------------------------------

From: jpajirent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Support for LCD Monitors?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:21:21 +0200

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:12:19 GMT, "Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have problems
>using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the TAXAN Crystalvision
>680) - I am just putting together a system and will want to run some
>distribution of Linux (no preference as yet). Will I need drivers and such -
>since I know that they supply Win9* etc drivers with the product (not sure
>what they do), but they don't have any Linux drivers for download from their
>sites.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Robert.

You may have some problems or not depending on your videocard and if
you're using 2D or 3D functions !

I have ADI Microscan 5T LCD monitor which works fine with the standard
drivers for the Nvidia video card and supplied by Mandrake 7.x (2D).
But when I tried to install the optimized drivers from NVidia for 3D
accelaration, then my monitor is not more supported !

I guess you have to test by yourself...

Jean Philippe

------------------------------

From: Gary and Susan Krupa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help booting linux
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 16:38:51 GMT

Thanks for your suggestion, Stanislaw.

Both DOS and Windows work fine on my system.

I'm going to try disabling hardware components and booting Linux. We've
been having power problems in our area, so who knows, it could even be
due to a damaged power supply.

If you think of anything else that can be done, please let me know.

Gary Krupa
Ventura Linux user