From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems running ./configure - Please Help!
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:36:50 GMT

Andy wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm bored with trying things now...
>
> I am trying to compile some software which needed the libpcap package. I
> installed libpcap-0.4-29.i386.rpm and tried again.
> The configure script nearly ran all the way through until:
>
> checking for pcap_dump in -lpcap... yes
> checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
> checking for pcap.h... no
> configure: error: Test for pcap.h failed.
>
> Oh!
> but I've just installed the libpcap package which provides pcap.h and even
> run ldconfig to make sure.
> Ok so I'll try:
>
> locate pcap.h
> /usr/include/pcap/pcap.h
>
> I'ts there!
>
> what's going on?
>
> Can anybody help me please...
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Andy.

Depends on how ./configure is testing for pcap.h. try ./configure
--help, see if there is an option for telling it where pcap.h is
located. try a symlink in /usr/include to /usr/include/pcap/pcap.h

------------------------------

From: Ryan Lantzy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dump and restore
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:36:03 -0500

I want to do daily ncremental backups on my linux machine on one tape.
I can succesfully complete a full backup and restore it.  However, when
I do a full backup then an incremental and then I try to restore, it
only shows the files that were included in the incremental and not the
full.

goes something like this

dump -0ufa /home /dev/nst0

dump -2ufa /home /dev/nst0

restore -i /dev/nst0

any help would be appreciated

thanks
ryan

------------------------------

From: Lodo Nicolino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: network login
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:55:48 GMT

Hi am Nico.
I have a red-hat 6.2 and i need to login as root from a win pc in the
network.
When i try to login i get the message "login incorrect".
If i login as a normal user i am in and i can do su root.
I added in the file /etc/securetty the string "pst/0", but nothing had
changed.
What did i forget ??
Thanks in advance.
Nico

------------------------------

From: Lodo Nicolino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:00:31 GMT

Ciao Io sono Nico.
Ho il seguente problema.
Ho installato una red-hat 6.2 e non riesco a logarmi come root da nessun

pc della rete.
Quando digito root al prompt ho immediatamente il messaggio "login
incorrect".
Se mi logo con un altro utente riesco ad entrare e a fare "su root".
Ho modificato il file /etc/securetty aggiungendo la stringa "pst/0", ma
non ho ottenuto nessun risultato.
Cosa mi sto dimenticando di fare ?
Grazie in anticipo per l'aiuto.
Nico

------------------------------

From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Telnetd don't work
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:54:15 +0800

After installing mandrake, I find that my telnetd don't work. I have
check inetd.conf, there is should no problem. Where can I find common
problem and solution of telnetd??

The problem of my telnetd is after showing the Escape character, it
don't prompt the use input name and passwd but just quit:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

How can I solve?

------------------------------

From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't install printer
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:56:29 +0800

If I put the following line at terminal, it will print the directory
tree at printer:

ls > /dev/lp0

But after I config my printer in X with mandrake config, it don't work,
do anyone know why? I am using cup, where can I find more information?

------------------------------

From: Alexei Kichkine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnetd don't work
Date: 09 Dec 2000 14:55:46 +0500

Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> After installing mandrake, I find that my telnetd don't work. I have
> check inetd.conf, there is should no problem. Where can I find common
> problem and solution of telnetd??
>

> The problem of my telnetd is after showing the Escape character, it
> don't prompt the use input name and passwd but just quit:
>

> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.localdomain.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> How can I solve?

 check if telnet granted in /etc/hosts.allow and doesn't denied in /etc/hosts.deny
--

Best regards, Alexei Kichkine

------------------------------

From: Carfield Yim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't use RealPlayer
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:20:04 +0800

E J wrote:

> I think you are probably the old version of real player is hiding somewhere
> living with your freshly install real player
> $ which realplay # findout where your real player is living.  The default should be
>the following
> /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay
> $  /usr/X11R6/bin/realplay      # check if the real play is the right version
> On the realplay Help->About
> RealPlay [tm] (Unix)
> Version 7.0.3.338
>
> If real player is living in the wrong place, it is probably the old real
> player (Beta Real Player 7?)taking over from the newer real player.  Just
> remove the older player.

How to remove?? There is no realplay package in my rpm...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:02:51 +0100
From: Markus Amersdorfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What is the command to  . . . ?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the command to find the occurance of a string in a group of
> files in a directory?

find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \;

rgrep "Hello World" *.txt

--
May the stability be with you!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows
again?
Date: 9 Dec 2000 10:10:39 GMT

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:57:14 -0600, misterbooboo wrote:
>This is what the RH site says, however, I do not have an install floppy. Can
>I not use the CD somehow?
>
>If not, how do I make an install floppy?
>
>(I tried this with a RH7 CDR using "expert" but although it said it saved
>partition deletions to disk, it obviously did not do so - per DOS fdisk
>after rebooting)
>> Gotta use the Linux version of fdisk on the install floppy (at the Boot:
>> prompt, type linux expert) select install, not upgrade. When it comes to
>> partitioning the drive select FDISK, in FDISK type [p] to print out
>> partition tables, and remove the Linux partition with the [d] command.Quit
>> with a [w] command to save to disk or [q] to change your mind. Wouldn't be
>> bad idea to run fdisk /mbr at the DOS prompt to clean your master boot
>> record. You will have to repartition and format the new partition.
>> > I have a 6GB HD split half for RH7 and half for Win95.
>> >
>> > I want to rid myself of Linux and rededicate the entire HD to Win95.
>> >
>> > How do I do this?
>> >
>> > Win's fdisk will not get me there as far as I can tell.
>> >
>> > Specifics appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you,

Try the brutal delete:
Boot with the Linux cdrom and go on until you can switch to a second virtual
terminal with ALT+Fx. Then 'dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda count=100
This should wipe your MBR.

        Guenter

--
If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake him up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: help with nfsd please!
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 11:40:39 -0000

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 21:39:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I added the following line to /etc/exports :
>/home/wroot/mydir comp*.domain(ro,insecure,all_squash)

Will there be any extra dots in the above names?
The wildcard character won't match dots in hostnames (so I've
read). If it expands to say comp.pc1.domain, comp.pc2.domain
then it probably won't work.
I reckon that's not the case here though (NFS newbie here).

>I even rebooted the machine (BTW, do I have to do it?)

Nope, just restart nfsd with either of these two I think:
  killall -1 (or -HUP) nfsd
  kill -HUP <pid of nfsd>
You might have the program pidof on your system. Instead of using ps
to get the pid just do `pidof nfsd' (no quotes).

If you're using the kernel-based nfsd then I suppose you'll have to
reboot.

>However, I still can not mount the directory from other machines
>(IRIXes)

Don't know how IRIX does things.
NFS-HOWTO makes mention of a problem if you're using knfsd.

I've only been doing the NFS thing a short time and hit some
snags myself but this is only between Linux machines (can't seem
to find a free NFS client for Windows).

Oh, make sure rpc.portmap and rpc.mountd are running before nfsd
and run rpcinfo -p for any errors. Also check /etc/hosts.allow and
hosts.deny.

NFS-HOWTO should have some info.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<

Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help finding distro for laptop with 540M hard drive.
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:00:04 GMT

I have a friend at work who has a 486 laptop with a 540M hard drive (not
sure of the exact hardware), and he wants to install Linux on it.  I'm
partial to Red Hat, but it's not necessary.  He's pretty new to Linux,
so it must be fairly easy to install and maintain.

I'd really appreciate suggestions on distros to grab for him to try..  I
have Red Hat 5.1 through 7.0, but even 5.1 says it needs 800M for a
Workstation install, sure he could squeeze in a custom, but I'm not sure
how small he could make it.

He does want X, typical networking stuff, Netscape, etc..  I see small
distros all the time, but I can't seem to find one now!  :(

Thanks!

--
Walter Francis
http://theblackmoor.net                  Powered by Red Hat Linux 7.0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: 'No such file or directory'
Date: 9 Dec 2000 12:23:08 -0000

[[ posted and mailed ]]

Eugene Grayver  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have just upgraded from redhat 6.1 to redhat 7.0.  I did a clean
>install, reformatting my / partition and leaving just the /home intact.
>Now, a few applications do no run!  I get an error such as:
>
>./bin/matlab: /usr/local/matlab5/bin/lnx86/matlab: No such file or
>directory
>
>while the file is clearly there.  It also happens to a program I
>compiled on the previous version that ran just fine.  My guess is that
>some dynamic link library is missing.  Does anyone have any idea how to
>check this?  Any other suggestions?

If a binary, then do "ldd /usr/local/matlab5/bin/lnx86/matlab"...if that
fails, then you have a problem with the dynamic loader version (ld-linux.so.x,
where x is version number). To find out which loader the binary needs, run
strings over the file and look in the first few lines for /lib/ld-linux.so.x,
then look to see if that library exists.

If ldd works, then you may have a library problem - check the output from
ldd and make sure all the libraries exist and match up.

To solve the first - you'll probably need I'd guess a libc5 binary runtime
environment, whatever package Redhat calls that. To solve the latter, you
need to find what libraries are missing, locate the package the library is
from and reinstall.

IF it's a script, then check the first line (which will be the script
interpreter) points to a valid and existing interpreter. Ie, if it reads
#!/bin/sh ... then make sure /bin/sh exists and is execuatable :)

Chris...

--
Chris Johnson            \  "If not for me then, do it for yourself. If not
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \  for then do it for the world." -- Stevie Nicks

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: limiting buffer cache
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 07:49:46 -0500

Fred wrote (in part):

>         Hi everyone,
>              I'm having trouble limiting the buffercache on our server. It's
> got 1GB of ram and I'm trying to get an Oracle 8.1.6 database to work well
> on it.

It should be unnecessary to do that. The Linux kernel manages all the
memory. When it needs the memory being used for the buffers or the
cache for something else, it silently does that. You should not have
to worry about it. It is quite normal for almost all your memory
(except for a very few megabytes) to be used at all times. If my
machine, other than just after a reboot, were using less than 3/4 of
the memory, I would wonder why.

For example, I have cron run a backup of almost my entire two 9.1GByte
hard drives every night. In the morning xosview reveals that about 1/3
of my 512Megabytes of memory are used by buffers and about 1/2 used by
the cache. But as soon as I run a process that needs a lot of memory,
the Linux kernel reduces the size of the buffers and cache to provide
it.

IMAO, the kernel can allocate your memory better than you can. Do not
forget the axiom: The more you try to outsmart the operating system,
the more it will outsmart you.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "John Cusick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:57:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "E J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The matlab is requesting a file or directory that does not exist. If
> matlab is a script, find what file or directory it is asking for. If
> matlab is binary, it would be hard to find out what file or directory it
> is asking for.
>
> Eugene Grayver wrote:

try strace /bin/matlab if it's a binary. That should tell you what you're
looking for.

JC

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Date: 9 Dec 2000 13:16:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Walter Francis wrote:
>I have a friend at work who has a 486 laptop with a 540M hard drive (not
>sure of the exact hardware), and he wants to install Linux on it.  I'm
>partial to Red Hat, but it's not necessary.  He's pretty new to Linux,
>so it must be fairly easy to install and maintain.
>
>I'd really appreciate suggestions on distros to grab for him to try..  I
>have Red Hat 5.1 through 7.0, but even 5.1 says it needs 800M for a
>Workstation install, sure he could squeeze in a custom, but I'm not sure
>how small he could make it.
>
>He does want X, typical networking stuff, Netscape, etc..  I see small
>distros all the time, but I can't seem to find one now!  :(
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>Walter Francis
>http://theblackmoor.net                  Powered by Red Hat Linux 7.0

Slackware makes it quite easy to pick just what you want and leave out the
rest. Not installing Gnome or KDE (which would be sluggish as heck on a
486 anyway) and relying on smaller X-windowmanagers like fvwm, you can
easily get the OS footprint down to below 200Meg. The default APM-enabled
kernel (bareapm.i) is optimized for a 386, so you won't have to spend your
first five hours comiling a non-586 kernel just for laptop support.

Slack doesn't have an all-embracing uberfuhrer-style configuration tool to
autoinstall with and subsequently get in your way, so there is a slightly
steeper learning curve involved with Slackware's setup than with some of
the distros that try to hide all the OS innards. But once set up, it is
just about the most easily maintained distros, since it doesn't do
anything that you don't specifically tell it to do. Also reputed to be one
of the two or so most stable distros. For info check out www.slackware.com
For cheap disks, check out www.cheapbytes.com, www.lsl.com, or even Linux
mall, www.linuxmall.com

One caveat, while the current version of Slack is 7.1 (kernel 2.2.16), for
an ancient laptop you should use 7.0 (2.2.13) or 4.0 (2.2.5), as there
apparently exists a compatibility problem with the current version of
pcmcia card manager services (found in Slack 7.1) and some older 486
laptops.

Cheers,

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh)
Date: 9 Dec 2000 13:57:00 GMT

Kevin Croxen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Walter Francis wrote:
: >I have a friend at work who has a 486 laptop with a 540M hard drive (not
: >sure of the exact hardware), and he wants to install Linux on it.
: >I'd really appreciate suggestions on distros to grab for him to try.
: >He does want X, typical networking stuff, Netscape, etc.
: >Walter Francis

I agree with Kevin's comments about Slackware, below.  I have a
486/dx2-66 desktop with 20MB memory ant two 340MB hard drives
with Slackware 4.0 installed in under 250MB _without_ X.
     I used to have X on it when it was my primary machine about
5 years ago (using a much earlier Slack version), and it's real
slow.  Netscape wasn't available then, and I'm guessing it would
be almost unusable on that hardware.  You can probably squeeze it
all in, but I think it'll be an exercise in futility.  I used X just
to have several xterms visible simultaneously, and even that was
almost more trouble than it was worth.
     I'm currently using the 486 as a print server and a firewall.
Works _great_ that way.  You can also fit (non-X) editors and compilers
in your 540MB for a pretty reasonable development environment, if
that's any use to you.  For a web browsing machine, lynx will work well,
but most of today's sites seem inaccessible that way.
     So Slackware will serve you well for the "networking stuff" you
mention.  But Netscape is beyond that hardware's capabilities, and
no distribution can help with that.
John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

[...]

: --Kevin