From: "Ian Wilkinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Login prompt without hostname
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 19:07:28 +0100

Volker Englisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Is there any way to get rid of the hostname in the login prompt without
> editing and recompiling the kernel?
>
> OS is Debian Linux kernel 2.0.34. As mentioned in some documentation,
> the (a)getty ignores a /etc/gettydefs file. Also none of the unix books
> lying around here give any other advice.
>
> Any idea?

look in /etc/issue  and /etc/issue.net, these files hold the login screen.
Lots of distributions reset these every time you boot,
eg, RedHat sets them in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

if you want to get rid of the text before login eg,
earth login:
login:

I think it can be done by editing /etc/gettydefs and taking out the @S
before login

but don't quote me on that...

If this does not solve it just try looking at login, and maybe recompiling
that.  A kernel recompile should not be needed.

Ian.
--
Murphy's Military Laws:
26. War is like love.  To triumph, you must make contact.

Uptime at  7:10pm  up 5 days, 21:01,  8 users,

------------------------------

From: "John G.Sandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: restore lilo after windows installation
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 18:28:55 GMT

I'm in a hotel room 1000 miles from home and can't remember the boot:
line to give when booting off the SuSE CD-ROM to boot off the hard drive
and re-run /sbin/lilo after a Win 98 re-install wiped the MBR.

Also on a slow laptop and slow modem whoich makes it difficult to search
the Net.

Have tried:

/dev/hda1
/dev/hda2
mount /dev/hda1
/boot/vmlinuz /dev/hda1

and such.

fdisk in windows shows linux partitions are still there.

Help!

John Sandell

------------------------------

From: "Dmitry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Problem with root password
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 22:03:34 +0300

Hello !
I've got a problem with root username or password - probably I just mistyped
it during the installation.
Is there a way to retrieve it ?
Thank you in advance.

------------------------------

From: "Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux.corel,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Which Dist? (HTML)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 19:25:13 GMT

Other...
Yea, it's pretty good...
Which one of the distributions that falls into the "other" placement ?

Oh, I added slackware to the poll...
Check it.
http://www.alxpoll.com/cgi-bin/poll.cgi?user=280739

news:x9AV4.7294$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >             Other
>
> This is my favorite release, the 1.6 distribution was very easy to
install.

------------------------------

From: marge schott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: chmod problem
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 12:29:20 -0700

Yes, here are the results:

[root@teno /root]# ls -ls
total 176
 148 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       145721 May 20 07:36
Bastille-1.0.4.tar.gz
   8 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         7377 May 20 07:52
bastille-action-log
   4 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          696 May 20 07:52
bastille-error-log
   4 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          165 May 20 07:52
bastille-input-log
   4 drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         4096 May 20 07:38
bastillebackup
   4 drwx------   2 root     root         4096 May 18 13:16 nsmail
   0 -r--------   1 root     root            0 May 18 12:57 rhosts
   4 drwx------   4 root     root         4096 Apr  3 14:37
run-Bastille
[root@teno /root]# rm -f .rhosts
rm: cannot unlink `.rhosts': Operation not permitted
[root@teno /root]#

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: restore lilo after windows installation
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 19:37:58 GMT

  "John G.Sandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sat, 20 May 2000 18:28:55 GMT, wrote :

"G> I'm in a hotel room 1000 miles from home and can't remember the boot:
"G> line to give when booting off the SuSE CD-ROM to boot off the hard drive
"G> and re-run /sbin/lilo after a Win 98 re-install wiped the MBR.

At the boot: prompt type 'linux root=/dev/xxxx' where xxxx is your linux root
filesystem.

"G>
"G> Also on a slow laptop and slow modem whoich makes it difficult to search
"G> the Net.
"G>
"G> Have tried:
"G>
"G> /dev/hda1
"G> /dev/hda2
"G> mount /dev/hda1
"G> /boot/vmlinuz /dev/hda1

linux root=/dev/hda1

This assumes that /dev/hda1 is your root file system, this is likely
wrong since Mess-Win has to be on the first partition, so I guess you
want:

linux root=/dev/hda2

(/dev/hda1 is most likely C:)

One really good thing to do: go down to the hotel gift shop (or the
Staples down the street...) and buy a floppy disk.  After re-running
lilo type:

mkbootdisk <kernel version>

Save the resulting floppy someplace save and with the laptop.  Don't
leave home without it!

"G>
"G> and such.
"G>
"G> fdisk in windows shows linux partitions are still there.
"G>
"G> Help!
"G>
"G> John Sandell
"G>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Buddy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Problem with root password
Date: 20 May 2000 19:45:08 GMT

In comp.os.linux.security Dmitry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Hello !
: I've got a problem with root username or password - probably I just mistyped
: it during the installation.

you mean you forgot it? mistyping is HARD since you'd have to mistype it
the same way twice

: Is there a way to retrieve it ?

yes and no.  the only way to 'retrieve' it is to use brute force, which
may take weeks.

HOWEVER, you can change it.  see the MANY threads in the newsgroup about
lost root passwords.

--buddy

--
Remove spam trap when replying

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 20 May 2000 14:54:26 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>' And as a result of SuSE predating RedHat, SuSE rpms are incompatible
>' with RedHat ones :-( I wish they'd switch to dpkg, but I bet there would
>' be incompatibilities with Debian there too - for the same reasons -
>' maintaining backwards compatibility breaks sidewards compatibility :-(
>
>It is the RPM BS that has caused me to abandon that format whenever
>possible.  Instead, I prefere to install software from source.
>Packages that conform to the ./configure, make, make install mantra
>are easy to build and put where you want them.

You left out the dozen obligatory arguments to ./configure that
are different for every package to make it interoperate with
the rest of your setup.  Even then it is impossible to use
this method alone to set things up so the next update from
the stock distribution (that by now has the fixes you added plus
more) will correctly replace your intermediate fix.

>You don't have to
>worry about dependencies because ./configure should discover if
>required libraries can not be found.
>
>Granted, this is not the way most users want to operate.  But until
>all the distros adhere to the FHS strongly enough and stop adding
>their own hacks (patches) to the code, this is the most reliable way
>to go.

You do understand that source rpms do exactly those steps if
you rebuild them, don't you?  It takes 3 rpm commands.  One
to install the source rpm, one to rebuild the binary, and
one to install the binary, doing whatever it needs to do to
update an existing setup or install from scratch.  You can
then copy the binary around and install on any other machines
that need it.  The *.spec file actually specifies how to unpack
standard distribution tars, patch them with any distribution-specific
modifications, run configure with the distribution-specific
arguments (which are very handy to see even if you are not going
this route), compile, and do anything else necessary.

>I've even updated GCC and libc this way.  That took a while on my
>hardware.

With rpms, chances are pretty good that someone has already done
what you need, so you can grab it and install.  If not, and a
patch exists against the last distribution that was built as
an rpm, you can take the older source rpm, add the new patch
to the spec file and rebuild it.  I do wish there were a simple
guide to doing this somewhere covering just these steps. I'm
just starting to do it this way myself.  My main complaint
about rpm is that it has everything including the kitchen sink
in one command so it is difficult to figure out which options
you need for which step.  As you mentioned, 'configure/make'
aren't hard and without a simple guide rpm looks more difficult.

  Les Mikesell

Subject: Re: WYSIWYG web page generator
From: Steve Kayner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 13:03:13 +0112

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pjtg0707
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you are looking for something like offerings on Win9x, then there isn't
> anything like that on Linux yet.

Cripes!  It took 40 messages for someone to get to the point. And then
it only took one sentence.

Steve.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 20 May 2000 15:08:21 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>On Debian that would be:
>>>
>>>"dpkg --get-selections > packages.dpkg" on master machine
>>>"dpkg --set-selections < packages.dpkg" on new machine
>>
>>How graceful is it about hardware differences?
>
>The above shouldn't change your hardware config. at all.  In Debian hardware
>configuration is pretty much a manual affair anyway.

That's a problem - I'm looking for a full-auto system administrator
(to the extent possible, anyway).  RedHat uses something called
kudzu to deal with hardware setup, and it handles things like
plugging in new hard drives, scsi tape drives, etc.  I'm not
sure if it will catch video card changes on i386 machines but
I suspect it will.  I've installed  RH on a sparc 5, then swapped
the disk into an IPX and kudzu noticed that the video and sound
disk devices were different, asked if I wanted to deactivate the
old ones and then activate the new ones, and then continued to
boot up.  I was impressed.

>> And is there
>>a way to do a subsequent update (including adding/removing as
>>well as updating packages) on the master so the copies can
>>track along?
>
>I imagine you could repeate the above any time you wanted to sync the client
>machines' packages but I can't say I've ever tried it.  Most people just use
>"apt-get update" "apt-get upgrade" to keep their packages up to date.  If
>you have several machines that you really want to stay identical then you
>might be better nfs mounting the / dir from the server or maybe using rsync.

Rsync doesn't know about any of the config changes that go along with
changed files.  We need something that knows how to delete an
existing package that the maintainer no longer wants (example: he
switches from sendmail to postfix).

>>  What if source changes are done and things
>>recompiled?  Can the package be rebuilt and loaded from
>>an alternate location on the copies?
>
>You can have lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list like:
>
>deb ftp://USER:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/my_custom_debs/local
>
>and then put any custom built packages on your ftp server.

That sounds reasonable.

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:12:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus) writes:

> > > : 3. A DirectX-like platform for hardware-accelerated devices, not
> > > :    necessarily at the kernel level;

> > > Whats wrong with OpenGL?

> > The fact that it's not hardware-accelerated?

> Of course it is hardware accelerated.

No.  It isn't.

It may have the potential to be accelerated at some point in the
future, but, as of this writing, it is not.  NVIDIA has flatly stated
that they will not be doing hardware-accelerated OpenGL until XF86
4.0.  As XF86 4.0 is not the official XF86 at this point, there is
not, officially, any hardware-accelerated OpenGL at this point.

> The entire idea of OpenGL is wrapping hardware
> acceleration. Everything in the OpenGL API is centred around making
> effective hardware accelerated implementations possible.

Actually, I think the entire idea of OpenGL is making available a
high-level 3D API to the user.

It seems to me that if they were more interested in wrapping hardware
acceleration, OpenGL would look more like Direct3D (which is
considerably more minimalist).

> > > No, if apache is not killer app, you'll have to invent totally new way
> > > of using computers.

> > Apache isn't a killer app.  The reason is that only webmasters use web
> > servers.

> Help systems use Web servers. Webmin uses a Web server. Heck, even
> SIAG Office serves Web pages.

My opinions on the overuse of Web servers aside, none of this changes
the fact that your average shmoe does not use one.  Bear in mind that
"your average shmoe" refers to the average of all computer users, no
matter what OS they have.  So, tell me, does the average Win98 user
have a webserver installed?

> > A killer app is something that most computer users will find
> > useful.

> Of course Apache is a killer app.

Of course it is not.

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
        - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.security
From: "Mrs. Brisby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 16:22:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 May 2000 22:03:34 +0300, Dmitry wrote:

>Hello !
>I've got a problem with root username or password - probably I just mistyped
>it during the installation.
>Is there a way to retrieve it ?
>Thank you in advance.

retrieve it? difficult. most linux-based systems use either MD5 or a DES
based hashing mechanism in the storage of the password.

a better choice would be to replace it. to do that, you'll need a boot disk
that'll give you the ability to mount your install disk, and the ability to
chroot into it.

then all you have to do is run the 'passwd' utility (chances are you're
already root) and your password database will be set properly now.

however, if you're intent on "cracking" that password (either because you're
genuinely interested in wasting cycles/electricity, or are fibbing about your
reasons), you'll still need a boot disk so that you can gain access to the
password database, and obtain the hashed form of the password.

You'll probably also want an automated cracking agent. There's probably one
that will work with your password database. If there isn't, you may be able
to dump the database and use another one, or write one yourself.

Good luck...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:30:58 GMT

On Sat, 20 May 2000 05:00:02 GMT, David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) writes:
>
>' The QPL requires software be free (as in free beer).  It also requires
>' you to submit any software you link with QT to them, even if it is not
>' distributed and from the wording it seems that they want you to give
>' them unlimited rights to even your own personal (again, non
>' distributed) programs that you link to Qt.
>
>It requires your software to be GPL, if you use the Qt Free Edition.
>Naturally, if you don't like that, don't use Qt.

        This alone makes the QPL more restrictive than the LGPL.

>Perhaps the project idea requested should be a free C++ library that
>does what Qt does.  It should probably be a clone that you can build
>KDE against.  Otherwise, no one may want it.

[deletia]

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:33:22 GMT

On 20 May 2000 14:54:26 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>' And as a result of SuSE predating RedHat, SuSE rpms are incompatible
>>' with RedHat ones :-( I wish they'd switch to dpkg, but I bet there would
>>' be incompatibilities with Debian there too - for the same reasons -
>>' maintaining backwards compatibility breaks sidewards compatibility :-(
>>
>>It is the RPM BS that has caused me to abandon that format whenever
>>possible.  Instead, I prefere to install software from source.
>>Packages that conform to the ./configure, make, make install mantra
>>are easy to build and put where you want them.
>
>You left out the dozen obligatory arguments to ./configure that
>are different for every package to make it interoperate with

        I dunno about you, but I rarely if ever actually need to
        use any of those options...

[deletia]

        The point of automation is to avoid such manual futzing.

From: "Julien Reynier de Montlaux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:36:18 GMT

If you use LILO, there is a simple solution.
Restart your computer and at the prompt LILO : just type
linux single
this will start Linux by using runlevel 1 (single user) so you don't have to
type any password and you will be root on the computer.
Then add a user by typing adduser <username>
and set the password of this user with the password of your choice by typing
passwd <username>
After you just have to edit /etc/password or /etc/shadow if you use shadow
passwords.
Then you can replace crypted caracter string of user named root. by crypted
caracter string of the user you just added.
When you will restart your new root password will be the password which you
choose for the user you have just added.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris Carbaugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: What is this??
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 16:35:11 -0400

"David .." wrote:

> Sorry for the cross post, but I found this in my cookie file.
> Anyone have any ideas or know what the cookie script it refers to is or
> does??
> Has netscape started using scripts in their cookies or what??
>
> kcookie.netscape.com    FALSE   /       FALSE   4294967295      kcookie
>
> --
> Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
> ID # 123538

Cookies themselves can't execute anything.  You seem to know some info
about cookies, and therefore should know that they are merely a storage
device for a website.  Only the website (domain) that created the cookie
can read the info they placed in it (well... for the most part).

I've never used a cookie to store this kind of info, and I don't see any
reason why netscape does.  At most netscape just reads this info in the
next time you visit their site, and at that point you're already open to
any scripting they want to run in their HTML.

Personally I wouldn't give it a second thought, but then again, I rarely
monitor my cookies.  There is so much more personal info about me (or
you) that can be found on the net, what's in a cookie to be worried
about?

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:36:57 GMT

On Sat, 20 May 2000 13:05:15 GMT, Full Name <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 18 May 2000 09:50:55 +0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
>wrote:
>

>>: 1. A streamlined, easy install process;
>>
>>Disagree. System should be installed by competent techinicans in
>>computer shops. Windows is not any more easy to install than say
>>Mandrake 7.0, only user do it much more frequently, so get used to it.
>>

>What can someone say to such a stupid statement.

        That you are a moron.

        Windows and DOS are where they are today because most people
        don't have to deal with installing them. Any little quirk in
        your setup and any WinDOS, Solaris, BeOS or Linux install can
        quickly become nasty.

        This is a side effect of the PC being a random collection of
        spare parts. That adds a level of complexity to the whole
        situation that is very difficult to just 'program around'.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Subject: Re: sound over network
Date: 20 May 2000 20:35:16 GMT

On 20 May 2000 12:05:39 EDT, Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 20 May 2000 06:24:34 GMT, root
> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> >- linux 2.2.5-15 redhat 6
     client01
> >  !!No souncard
> >   | 10 mb ethernet (working)
> >- linux 2.2.14 redhat 6
     server
> >  p120, 16m
> >  working souncard
> >And I want a xmms (or even cat>/dev/dsp) on client01 soundfile
> >to make some noise out of the server...
>
> You are out of luck unless you want to do a lot of mucking around with the
> pc_speaker module.  You see, IBM PC compatible computers don't have any
> real sound hardware built-in.  They have a low-fidelity speaker that's
> good for producing the occasional beep, but that's it.  Production of
> high-quality or even medium-quality sound requires specialized hardware,
> and that means a sound card.  I'll bet that if you were to check the back
> of your client01 machine, you wouldn't see a socket for a standard RCA
> speaker or headphone jack.  No socket = no way to output sound except
> through the PC speaker.

I think you misunderstood me. I'll try again:

- I have two pc's, server and client(01).
- server has a working soundcard, client no souncard at all
- someone (and the esd "documentation") told me it was possible to play xmms
  (or another sound proggie) on the server, but sound coming out of the client-
  speakers by using esd. The esd man says:

All client programs (exept esdctl) can connect to remote hosts via the ESPEAKER
environment variable; export ESPEAKER=inet.addr.of.host:port for bash; setenv ESPEAKER
inet.addr.of.host;port for tcsh. The client will connect to EsounD running on the
specified host on the specified port.

I think this means I have to run esd on the server, en set ESPEAKER on the client.
Problem is that I don't know how to discover what port esd is running on on the
server. Actually all I know about ports is that 80 is for http, bu not what they
acyually are...

So to conclude: what should I set ESPEAKER to?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:42:21 GMT

On Sat, 20 May 2000 20:12:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > The fact that it's not hardware-accelerated?
>
>> Of course it is hardware accelerated.
>
>No.  It isn't.
>
>It may have the potential to be accelerated at some point in the
>future, but, as of this writing, it is not.  NVIDIA has flatly stated
>that they will not be doing hardware-accelerated OpenGL until XF86
>4.0.  As XF86 4.0 is not the official XF86 at this point, there is

        Says who? There's already at least one distro that's shipping it.

>not, officially, any hardware-accelerated OpenGL at this point.
>
>> The entire idea of OpenGL is wrapping hardware
>> acceleration. Everything in the OpenGL API is centred around making
>> effective hardware accelerated implementations possible.
>
>Actually, I think the entire idea of OpenGL is making available a
>high-level 3D API to the user.

        NO, the point of OpenGL is to also expose hardware acceleration
        to the programmer.

>It seems to me that if they were more interested in wrapping hardware
>acceleration, OpenGL would look more like Direct3D (which is
>considerably more minimalist).

        No, OpenGL merely represents different programming objectives
        and different reference hardware. GL grew up as a visualization
        API rather than a way to code Quake clones.

[deletia]
>> > A killer app is something that most computer users will find
>> > useful.
>
>> Of course Apache is a killer app.
>
>Of course it is not.

        Netcraft and the hype in general about the Web would tend
        to flatly contradict you.