From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "On the next boot fsck will be FORCED" Sure :-) but why *not* ??
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 04:09:49 GMT

"Andrei A. Dergatchev" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is almost 3 years old Slackware system, and today I noticed
> for the first time a message which I never ever saw previously.
>
> After usual "shutdown -r now" (I have to use MS Office to stay
> compatible with the rest of my group) I noticed a new message,
> which appears last after all the typical shutdown messages I used
> to see for years:

> On the next boot fsck will be FORCED
> (and systems goes to reboot)
>
> What makes me wonder is that in fact, _nothing_ is happening
> on new reboots, I rebooted several times to see what will happen,
> I'm just getting this message again and again.
>
> I'm just wondering why is that ??

It's just a text 'echo'ed by /etc/rc.d/rc.6 at the end of the script.
I believe that it alludes to the fsck performed unconditionally by
/etc/rc.d/rc.S

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange binaries support
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 04:09:51 GMT

Herve Gautier wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 12 May 2000 17:08:50 +0200, Herve Gautier wrote:
> > >
> > >I read somewhere that we can run strange binaries executables like SCO or BSD
> > >If someone have a clue, it's welcome...
> > >thank
> >
> > Put them in a directory that's in your path, and make them
> > executable  chmod +x thefile_name and run the file.
> >
> > You'd probably get better and more efficient binaries if you
> > d/l the source and build your own binaries.
> >

> There is nothing to do in the kernel (modules to compil,...) ?

Install the iBCS package and start the ibcs daemon. It provides the
binary support for non-Linux i86 Unix support like SCO or BSD.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: xmms stuttering (Sony VAIO)
Date: 24 May 2000 04:12:29 GMT

On 23 May 2000 19:56:37 -0400, Steve Linberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>First off, if there's a better group to post this question in, let me know
>and accept my apologies. :)
>
>I have a Sony VAIO PCG-F490, for which freeware sound drivers are not yet
>available, running Red Hat 6.1 with the latest Helix-Gnome desktop.  I
>downloaded the commercial opensound drivers to try out, and was able to
>install them and get .wav files playing through the speakers sounding
>pretty good.
>
>However, when I try to play mp3s with xmms (xmms-1.0.1-2_helix_3), what it
>does is load the track, scroll the name and so forth in the window, but
>when I try to play it, it plays about a tenth-of-a-second clip of the
>audio, stuttering in furious repetition until I click stop.

I have an F450.  The secret is to disable PNP in CMOS setup.  Then all
sounds should work great and xmms will play perfectly.

I just upgraded from RH 6.1 to Mandrake 7.0 and it has something called
'nist' that is supposed to be able to do something with DVD, but I cannot
tell what because the docs are incomplete.

Have a look at http://helo.org/dvd/howto/DVD-Playing-HOWTO

However, I am having trouble doing anything with the first livid program
called 'ac3dec' because it bombs out when 'autogen.sh' tries to run
'configure' due to some undefined variable called AM_PROG_LIBTOOL, a
program it cannot find called 'libtoolize', and a syntax error in line
524 of the resulting 'configure' script.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 23 May 2000 23:18:16 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>' I'm not arguing about your right to do whatever you want, I
>' am just saying that I don't understand what motivates you
>' to create a situation where I can download code, have it
>' on my machine and use it in any way I want, but only in
>' cases where I can do the linking myself.  If another needed
>' component is controlled by someone else with an equal
>' right to choose their license, I won't be able to obtain
>' and use the combination together.
>
>Ok, now I am really confused.  Could you please give me some example
>of where you have two pieces of code that you want to use together,
>but can't because of license restrictions?

If you obtain the parts separately, you can probably combine
them as long as you don't redistribute them again.  However,
the FSF insists that 'user-does-the-link' violates the
GPL restrictions if it creates something that could not
be distributed under GPL terms (i.e. where source for
all components cannot be redistributed freely).

>On my machines, I have code with quite a variety of licenses.  Those
>include GPL, BSD, QPL, Perl's Artistic License, the TCL license, and a
>bunch of others.  The base system is GNU/Linux.  A bunch of libraries
>in use are either GPL or LGPL, including libc.
>
>Have I violated someone's license?

Just putting the code on the same machine is not a problem.
You must create a 'derived work', which has been commonly
described as code linked in a single process.  Linking
GNU readline (GPL, not LGPL) into a database control
program that used a commercial client library would be
an example.  While you can probably get away with building
such a program yourself, distributing it would be at
least questionable, especially if you redistributed a copy
of the GPL'd readline with it.  Now for something even
more confusing, consider what happens if you have a
perl script that dynamically loads readline and also
uses DBI which can pull in an assortment of database
client libraries at runtime, including commercial versions.
If this ends up linking to (say) Oracle libs, does it
become illegal to distribute the script?

For an even stranger case, consider mod_perl, compiled into apache,
both of which can dynamically link other modules and the process
lifetime spans many requests.  If one web requests runs a script
that links a GPL'd library, and another pulls in a commercial
library, you now have a derived work (by some definition)
that is not allowed, yet no single thing is responsible for it.

>I am not trying to create a situation where you or anyone else can't
>use code that I write or code that is derived from code that I write.
>I am trying to avoid the situation where improvements to my code are
>not returned to me or to others.  The whole point of FSF style free
>software is to advance the state of the art by not shackling code with
>proprietary licensing.

The GPL instead shackles any other code linked into a derived
work with its own restrictions, or in the cases where
other code already has different restrictions it makes the
combination impossible.

>If there is a better way to achieve this goal, please tell me about
>it.

In the case of a complete stand-alone package, restrictions on
derived works may not be a problem.  For things that would
be useful as a component, the LGPL or BSD style opens up
more possibilities.

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Q: how to set up my sound card?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 04:11:42 GMT

Thanks for answering my questions.

The following is what I am doing to my sound card settings and the
results:

I set my BIOS:

         PnP aware O/S: NO
 PCI IRQ Priority Auto: NO

Since those two are the only PnP-related settings in my BIOS setup
menu. Well, in order that the hardware can't be set, I even turn
off the power for a while although unnecessary.

The I load Linux Mandrake 6.1 and run command
"/usr/sbin/sndconfig", and the choices are as follows:

 I/O Port     IRQ      DMA      MPU I/O
 220          5        0        330
 230          7        1        300
 240          9        3
 260          10

When I set IRQ other than 5 or 7, and MPU I/O other than 330, the
system gives error messages that tells I have a conflict. So this
makes me believe that I have a IRQ selection between 5 and 7 and
my MPU I/O (what does it mean?) should be 330.

Then I have exhausted all my choices, but got the same error messages
from the system:

 /etc/isapnp.conf: 376 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while device
activated
 /etc/isapnp.conf: 376 -- Fatal - Error occured executing request
'<IORESCHECK>' -- further action aborted

Well, I don't know what to do then. Can you give me a little more help
now?

Thanks.

HOWI

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Subject: Re: How do I install a .tar.gz
Date: 23 May 2000 21:38:38 -0700

Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 23 May 2000 17:47:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><<8geg7o$q46$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>>I know that there is a string but I'm not sure what it is.
>>I'm trying to install the theme manager for KDE ver 1.1.1 and i am
>>having no luck. I got the pacakge extracted but I can't get it to
>>install.....
>
>The command set you're looking for is as follows:
>
>$ tar xvzf thing1.2.3.tar.gz    extract package
>$ cd thing1.2.3                 cd to newly created directory
>$ less README* INSTALL*         read the fine manual(s)
>$ configure                     execute configuration script
>$ make                          compile package from source
>$ su -c 'make install'          install package

If this sequence doesn't work, the program may rely on a library that
you don't have installed on your system, or may be written to run on a
different OS than Linux.  Some minor hacking is sometimes required to
get a "portable" program to run on a different OS (or in some cases
distribution of the same OS) than it was written on.

>>Slap me if i'm overlooking something right in my face.
>
>*WHAP*  :-)
>
>This is not at all obvious in the abstract, but every boxed distro I've
>seen has a page or two in the manual where they explain about building
>packages from source code.  Yeah, it should be easier; I really wonder why
>there isn't a small shell script called "tarbuild" that just runs through
>all those above commands, explains exactly what it's doing, and gives
>hints if/when configure or make dies on a missing library.[0][1]

There would always be someone whose makefile would break it. But it
would be a small matter of programming to write this kind of shell
script that would work in 80% - 90% percent of cases.

--
dowe                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Subject: Re: How do I install sofware, must I use yast2 ??
Date: 23 May 2000 21:43:26 -0700

On Tue, 23 May 2000 11:04:53 +0000, Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Rick wrote:
>>
>> Ho on earth can someone install software on a linux machine.....Do I have to
>> use yast2..if yes, then how ? I use SuSE 6.4 the manual does not mention a
>> word about it...
>
>1. You have to use YaST, not Yast2. The manual does say something about
>it, a whole chapter, if I'm not totally mistaken!!

You do?  How does SuSE keep users from installing software from
tarballs?

--
dowe                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

------------------------------

From: Sagar A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TCP/IP programming
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 04:30:07 GMT

Dear Neil,

Thanks a Lot,the TINI meets exactly my reqirments.

Sagar

From: "David E. Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiled new kernel and have some problems
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 21:18:26 -0800

In article <8fhv6q$ua8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just downloaded and compiled the 2.2.14 kernel. I have a few problems,
>     a) etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq: no such file or
> directory.

My system has no such file. I'm running Redhat 6.0; kernel 2.2.14. Whether
or not there needs to be such a file, I don't know I do wonder why your
rc.sysinit file is referencing it.

I'm of course assuming that your /proc directory is mounted.

>     b) at some point when the machine is loading all it has to load I
> get numerous messages saying that the kernel version in my System.map
> file doesn't correspond to the actual kernel version.

That's easy to fix if you cp the System.map file from /usr/src/linux to
the System.map file in your /boot directory.

> is a file called module-info-2.2.12.20 (which is my old kernel and came
> precompiled from Red Hat 6.1). I was wondering if I have to create a new
> file for module info, or whether I should edit that one.

It doesn't seem to be needed that I can see. My file is
'module-info-2.2.5-22' which also came with Redhat -- but I run 2.2.14,
which I compiled and installed from scratch.

> 3. Finally, I am having problem with my sound card. I compiled sound
> into the kernel. When I was making xconfig and read the help associated
> with the sound card, it said that I should know the IRQ, I/O and DMA for

Have you tried Red Hat's 'sndconfig' tool? Personally, I use the
commercial sound driver OSS. Works very nicely. I've had intermittent
success and  failure with the sound drivers in the more recent kernels
(I've a Mozart/Mad16 sound card.)

------------------------------

From: Dorin Boldor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: DVD ROM Setup
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 15:10:29 -0400

Eric wrote:

> [...]
> and luckily for you :-) ,most likely just jumpered wrong. IDE devices
> most be jumpered to be set as master(single)/slave if this is not done
> correctly, you might get the behaviour you have seen. Since you have it
> connected as the single device on IDE1, set it to single (or master if
> the single option does not exist)
>
> Eric
>
> Dorin Boldor wrote:
> >
> > I am having problems setting up my DVD ROM with red hat 6.2. The drive
> > is SONY DVD-ROM DDU220U.
> >
> > It is installed on IDE1, secondary master. THe install was performed
> > from this drive, it went on just fine, when it booted up from the CD ROM
> >
> > it found the drive: hdc: DVD-ROM DDU220E, ATAPI CD ROM device. The thing
> >
> > is that when I restarted the computer, the output from the dmesg | grep
> > hdc looks like this:
> >
> > dmesg | grep hdc
> >     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1028-0x102f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> > hdc: QÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQÀQ, ATAPI UNKNOWN (type 17)
> > drive
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> > hdc: driver not present
> >
> > Ok, this is the first part, the second part is that when I boot up,
> > kudzu shows up with the message that the following hardware has been
> > removed from your system: DVD-ROM DDU220E. It gives me 3 options, 1.
> > remove any existing configuration for the device, 2. Keep the existing
> > configuration. You will not be prompted again if the device seems to be
> > missing. 3. Do nothing. The configuration will not be removed, but if
> > the device is found missing on subsequent reboots, you will be promtepd
> > again.
> >
> > So, every time I choose 3, because I have no idea what is going on.
> >
> > But, this is not all. I tried to recompile the kernel , it didn't help.
> > and finally I was looknig thorugh the files in the /etc, directory, and
> > in /etc/sysconfig I found a file called hwconf.  In this file I have 2
> > different calls for hdc, and they are listed as follow:
> >
> > class: OTHER
> > bus: IDE
> > detached: 0
> > device: hdc
> > driver: ignore
> > desc: 'Q.Q.Q.Q.Q.Q.Q.Q.Q.Q.Q.Q."
> >
> > the second one is at the very end of the file and it looks like this:
> >
> > class: CDROM
> > bus: IDE
> > detached: 0
> > device: hdc
> > driver: ignore
> > desc: "DVD-ROM DDU220E"
> >
> > So, if anybody knows what is going on here, any help would be really

Thanks Eric,

In the BIOS setup the CDROM is seen as master device, I didn't actually look
in the box to check it. What makes me soooo mad is that when I installed
Linux from the CD, it recognized correctly the CD ROm as ATAPI DVDROM
DDU220E.

I finally got it working by using at LILO: linux hdc=cdrom hdc=noprobe

Still, I would like to get the nice message that I get when I boot up from
the CD, since no my bootup message looks like:

hda: Maxtor 91020D6, 9728MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=1240/255/63
hdc: ATAPI 0X DVD-ROM drive, 384kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56

I may take a look inside the box at the drive, just to make sure that it is
jumpered correctly.

Dorin

------------------------------

From: fungus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 23:13:21 GMT

Davorin Mestric wrote:

>  your hate for microsoft makes you blind to the truth.
> windows api is very stable since win95, not to mention
> that even going from win16 to win32 was not that bad as
> you probably think it was.

The design is a big steaming pile of horse-plop though,
it's 100% old-style 1970's C code, full of #defines
and all sorts of crap, no namespaces in sight, no regard
for modularity or for the users. Some of the names
which are #defined in "windows.h" drive me up the wall
every time they clash, eg. "min" and "max" - what kind of
idiot would define something called "min" or "max" in a
system header file? Then there's "Polygon", as a 3D graphics
programmer this one really drives my up the wall. Why
couldn't they have used "gdiPolygon" or something like
that?

The term "legacy" springs to mind here. The rest of the
programming world has moved beyond this, yet for many
people Win32 will be their first programming experience
and that's the "style" they're gonna copy. Yuk!

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 23 May 2000 23:43:08 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> If Windows is so great, why do you have to reboot when you change your
>> IP address?
>
>You don't.

For 1 value of windows.  Why do you have to reboot when you
change the machine name?

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 21:12:52 -0700

On Tue, 23 May 2000 09:00:00 GMT,
 David Steuber, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>"Anthony W. Youngman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>' Every time I've tried to install an RH rpm on SuSE, it's given me
>' dependency nightmares. SuSE use a different rpm naming convention, and
>' apparently that's the cause :-(
>
>R otten
>P ackage
>M anagement
>
>Then again, InstallSheild, possibly the best installer in Windows
>land, is even worse.  Go figure.
>
>Do people really have trouble with ./configure, make, make install?
>It has _never_ been a problem for me.  Maybe I am just lucky.  Even
>though I changed my compiler, libc, and libtools.
>
>--
>David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
>NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.
>
>All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
>        -- Charles Babbage Orwell

The problem with ./configure;make;make install is that it has no
dependency checking for upgrades and removals. I can't check what program
/sbin/foo belongs too. RPM, while not without it's flaws (name conflicts in
SuSE being one of them) does allow this and other nicities.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: "Benson Lei" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Software RAID1 problem for RH LinuxV6.2 ??
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:57:07 -0700

Hi,

I used 2 P!!! 600E + 2 SCSI Harddisk, and then installed  software RAID 1
from RH Linux V6.2.

I found problems after re-compiling the Kernel, my lilo is following:

boot=/dev/md0
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default= newlinux

image=/boot/bzImage
label=newlinux

                  initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.14-20smp.img
                  read-only
                  root=/dev/md1
                  append="mem=512M"

I got Kernel Panic after rebooting the system, the error message:
        bad md_map in ll_rw_block
        EXT2-fs : unable to read Superblock
        bad md_map in ll_rw_block
        isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=09:02, isoblkname=16,
blkname=32.

Any suggestion