From: "rolf minder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [HELP] mount cdrom
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:20:01 +0200

have you installed the CD-Roast ??
when yes, you have also changed the cd-rom from ide to alias scsi.
is this thru you must change the installation-medium
(yast1 / yast2)

rolf --> from switzerland

news:9aujmj$ljo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: multi os environment
Date: 10 Apr 2001 11:41:04 GMT

"Daren Clarke" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Anyone out there have any ideas on how to configure a linux box (perhaps
> mandrake) so using x-windows I can also run a choice of either windows me or
> windows 2000

purchase vmware or win4lin
--
Merci.........................Yvan     Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:52:05 +0200
From: Mike Homuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?selbst=E4ndig?= ohne Ausbildung?

In der letzten Zeit spiele ich mit dem Gedanken, mich als
freiberuflicher Webdesigner selbstst=E4ndig zu machen. Zu erst einmal nur=

als kleine Verdienstquelle neben meinem Studium.

Mein Problem ist aber, dass ich keinerlei Ausbildung als Mediendesigner
habe - selbst mein Studium geht in eine v=F6llig andere Richtung.
Kann ich als Freiberufler auch dann auftreten, wenn ich nicht daf=FCr
ausgebildet bin?

Vielen Dank f=FCr ihre Hilfe.

Mike Homuth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matan Ziv-Av)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:21:44 GMT

On 9 Apr 2001 19:51:14 GMT, Hermann Samso wrote:
>       I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>       a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
>       developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
>       computer for programming and testing.

User-mode linux might be useful for you. You can find links in lkml
archives.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:39:01 GMT

Hermann Samso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I am searching for a Linux emulator for Linux. Does such
>       a beast exist? I think this could be useful for System
>       developement, without needing to have more than 1 powerful
>       computer for programming and testing.

vmware

Gareth

Subject: wow to get more colors out of X 4.0.2
From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Apr 2001 07:57:27 -0500

I recently installed X windows 4.0.2 and am only getting the 8 bit
color maps.  In the 3.3.6 version that I used to use, I could start X
with

> startx -- -bpp 24

but this no longer works.  What is the correct way to start the X
server with more colors?  I have a state of the art video card so I
certainly have enough memory etc... to support more colors.

Some config info below.

Thanks,
John Hunter

I am using the livid driver for my Matrox 450 w/ 32mb of RAM and linux
has drivers for my monitor (DJ800) natively.

In my XF86Config, I have lines like:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "G450_1"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth    1
                Modes     "1024x768"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     4
                Modes     "1024x768"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     8
                Modes     "1024x768"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     15
                Modes     "1024x768"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes     "1024x768"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1024x768"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubSection
EndSection

------------------------------

From: Stephen Rank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shutdown
Date: 10 Apr 2001 14:10:00 +0100

"Neil West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I was trying to shutdown my computer remotely.  I typed the shutdown -nr 1
> command and the system shutdown but when it rebooted and I try to telnet
> into the system, the computer prompts me for my password but then says that
> the system is shutting down in one minute.  Is there a reason for this and
> how do I fix it.

>From man shutdown:

       -n     [DEPRECATED] Don't call init(8) to do the  shutdown
              but  do it ourself.  The use of this option is dis-
              couraged, and its results are not always what you'd
              expect.

So you shouldn't have done that :)

Seems like the problem might be that shutdown created /etc/nologin,
and the -n argument somehow stopped the file being removed on reboot,
or perhaps whichever startup script removes it (/etc/init.d/rmnologin
on my box) failed to do so for some reason (examining this script
provides a clue: /etc/nologin.boot). You can still log in as root, but
you'll have to do that on the console.  Then you can delete
/etc/nologin, and all should be well again.

Next time, use `shutdown -r now' or `reboot'.

OTOH, I'm not sure what the `1' argument means to shutdown; `+1' would
mean `in one minute', `1:00' would mean `at 1am'.  According to the
man page, these are the only allowable formats.  Perhaps the system
hasn't rebooted at all, and the startup scripts are working fine?

HTH,

Stephen

--
986907740

------------------------------

From: Martin Vonwald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wget timeout not working???
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:10:22 +0200

Hi all!

I'm using GNU Wget 1.5.3gold (https support). I have the problem that the
timeout parameter doesnt seem to work. The following command:
  wget -S --timeout=5 -t 1 -O - http://<non-existing-ip>/
times out after 13 mins instead of 5 seconds.
Can anybody verify that or tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Circular Dependancies when installing glibc/gilb-common
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:26:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse) writes:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:35:03 +0200, Jacob Kristensen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >James Johnson wrote:
>>> The subject says it all, I am trying to install the most recent
>>> version of MySQL and PHP unfortuantly I cant because the PHP-MySQL
>>> link needs the most current version of MySQL, which in turn needs
>>> glibc which needs glib-common which needs glibc which needs
>>> glib-common, well...you can see where this is going is there a way
>>> to work around this problem? Any input would be

>>Are you using RPM, Deb or what?  What Dist and kernel are u using?

RPM versus dpkg is of some slight relevance, and would be answered by
the "which dist" question.  "Which kernel?" is a nonsequitor; the
issue has _nothing_ to do with that.

> A good question, considering it makes no sense to make glibc
> dependent on glib; glibc is the fundemental C library whereas glib
> is some graphics stuff (gtk).

Heading to /usr/include/glib, I run:

% grep -i graph *
% grep -i X11 *
% grep -i gtk *
glib.h: * GLib at ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/.
glib.h: * (GTK) programs, as GDK itself wants to read messages and convert them
glib.h:/* This is used to add polling for Windows messages. GDK (GTk+) programs
gmodule.h: * GLib at ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/.
%

Conclusion: another nonsequitor.  glib is _not_ "some graphics stuff."
It is in fact a "portability layer," providing a set of cross-platform
data structures, lists, trees, hash tables, and memory allocation
functions.  Quite useful for applications that never touch graphics.

It's confusing why it would have anything to do with the installation
of GCC; GCC should certainly not depend on glib, as it _vastly_
predates it.

It's probably a misspelling; probably the library in question is
"glibc," the Standard C Library.

In any case, there should be an easy resolution to the original
"dependancy merry-go-round," irrespective of distribution or favored
packaging tool.

The resolution is to run the packaging tool on all the packages at once.

As with the RPM-oriented:
# mkdir /tmp/all-my-packages
# mv thispackage.rpm /tmp/all-my-packages
# cd somewhere-else
# mv thatpackage.rpm /tmp/all-my-packages
# cd still-somewhere-else
# mv otherpackage.rpm /tmp/all-my-packages
# cd /tmp/all-my-packages
# rpm -i *.rpm

This results in RPM looking at all of the dependancies, _and their
resolutions_, all at once.  If mysql.rpm needs glibc.rpm, and both are
to be installed, the impending installation resolves the dependancy.

The exact same thing is true for Debian-derived distributions; change
"rpm" to "dpkg" or "deb" as needed.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/resume.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: General SSHD Question, anyone ?
Date: 10 Apr 2001 08:54:44 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bart Friederichs wrote:
>"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>> And then they probably
>> go for symmetric key ciphering with periodic changes of key.
>
>Hmm.... I have a question on that one. My SSH client bails out after
>some time with the message "Rekeying not supported". Should this
>periodic changing of keys be the source of that? An, moet important...
>how can I fix that?

I wish I could add some knowledge to this thread, but I can't resist
adding a related question.  I have 2 linux installs on my machine,
Slackware and RedHat; sometimes I have one booted, sometimes the other.
When I try to log in from another system, it complains about keys,
because it sees a different set from the previous login.  What files
from /etc/ssh could I copy from one linux partition to the other to
prevent this problem.  (Would the release level of ssh2 make a
difference?)

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:19:30 GMT

Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bart Friederichs wrote:
>>"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>>> And then they probably
>>> go for symmetric key ciphering with periodic changes of key.
>>
>>Hmm.... I have a question on that one. My SSH client bails out after
>>some time with the message "Rekeying not supported". Should this
>>periodic changing of keys be the source of that? An, moet important...
>>how can I fix that?

> adding a related question.  I have 2 linux installs on my machine,
> Slackware and RedHat; sometimes I have one booted, sometimes the other.
> When I try to log in from another system, it complains about keys,
> because it sees a different set from the previous login.  What files
> from /etc/ssh could I copy from one linux partition to the other to

Persumably the ones with "key" in the name!

-rw-r--r--    1 root          344 Aug  8  1999 ssh_host_key.pub
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is
                                          the exported public key

-r--r--r--    1 root          874 Apr 30  2000 sshd_config,v
-rw-r--r--    1 root         1271 Feb 10 13:10 sshd_config.dpkg-dist
-rw-r--r--    1 root          895 Feb 10 13:10 ssh_config
-rw-------    1 root          512 Mar 10 02:47 ssh_random_seed
-rw-r--r--    1 root          719 Mar 10 03:47 sshd_config
-rw-r--r--    1 root          613 Mar 10 03:53 ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
-rw-------    1 root          668 Mar 10 03:53 ssh_host_dsa_key
-rw-------    1 root          540 Mar 10 03:53 ssh_host_key
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and this is
                                         its matching private key

The other keys can also be replaced. The best idea would be to have
these in a common area. I on't see too much wrong with sharing /var
between the two systems (there are a finite number of gotchas to work
around, but if you just do "nothing", your system will survive).

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:26:56 -0400

hello,
i have the same symptoms.
cat /proc/ide/hda/model -> ide/apati cdrom.
cat /proc/devices|grep -i ide -> 3 ide0.
ls -al /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom -> hdc.
when the computer boots it appears that the cdrom is detected at hda.
our HD is SCSI.

thank you,
kenny.

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: using the route command
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:27:44 +1000

Hi!,

> I currently have a linux box set up connecting to my dsl provider.
> Recently i have added another linux box to the network to connect my
> ethernet network to a friends ethernet network.
>
> What route command would i put in to the router to tell it that all
> internet traffic shoud be routed to the firewall and anything else
> samba/windows file shares) should go accross the network?

You will need to enable IP forwarding on the gateway box.  Additionally, you
will also need to configure your internal TCP/IP network and use the IP
address of the internal network card in the gateway as the gateway address for
all the other machines.

This command will also need to be issued:
  ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -j ACCEPT

You might like to take a look at the IPCHAINS-HOWTO and the
Mini-Networking-HOWTO document located at http://www.linuxdoc.org. These
documents will help you construct and plan your own little network.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Spontaneous combustion
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:37:42 GMT

"Christopher Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I wonder if anyone can give me a hint as to how to diagnose and/or fix
> my problem. My Red Hat 7 system reboots spontaneously from time to time,
> and fsck runs because the filesystem was not cleanly unmounted. There
> are usually fsck errors. It is as if someone pressed the reset switch on
> the PC. It always happens on some sort of user input: a mouse click,
> usually, or a page up keystroke.
>
> I have run memtest86 for hours. I have tried different X servers (4.0.1,
> 4.0.2 and 3.3.6), different keyboards, different mice (PS/2 and USB) and
> still see this problem. It occurs when using various X apps (Opera,
> Applix, Netscape, Gimp), regardless of X toolkits (Qt, Gtk, Motif). I
> have installed various Red Hat updates (glibc, kernel) and different
> versions of KDE, to no avail.
>
> Hardware: BC133KT motherboard, Duron 700 CPU, 128MB Ram, ATI XPert98 PCI
> video, 2 Netgear FA310TX PCI network adaptors, one internal ISA
> modem. Software: Red Hat 7 with a whole bunch of fixes, KDE 2.1, XFree86
> 4.0.2 (from Raw Hide) and 3.3.6 Mach64 X server. I'm just about out of
> ideas. Anyone?

Quite often unexpected hardware resets come from the power supply. Is it
*surely* sturdy enough?

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

Date: 10 Apr 2001 10:24:29 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suppressing Redhat bootup output
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Joe Pfeiffer;

 JP> "Johnny A. Solbu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> A significant number of Linux users do NOT leave their=20
>> computers powered ON when they are done computing.
>> Also a significant number of Linux users does not run a server
>> or have a 24/7 connection. They don't even have a LAN.
>>
>> So shutting down their boxes is as natural as eating every day.

 JP> Dunno...  it seems to me that the population of users who are running
 JP> systems that go up/down as you describe, but who don't have machines
 JP> that do APM, should be getting fairly small by now.  The only machine
 JP> I've got that gets ``powered down'' on a regular basis is my laptop,
 JP> and it justs gets suspended/restored (except for upgrades and failures
 JP> to watch the batery level once in a while!).  Not many reboots...

 JP> And even if we accept that a machine goes down at night and comes up
 JP> in the morning, I'm pretty much at a loss to understand somebody not
 JP> wanting to see the messages.  The general concept of not wanting
 JP> information escapes me...

 JP> As an aside, the one thing I really miss from RedHat (I switched to
 JP> Debian a while ago) is the bootup procedure.  I prefer having the
 JP> rcX.d scripts linked to subdirectories of /etc/init.d, and the green
 JP> [OK] was really reassuring.  That's a pretty minor loss, compared to
 JP> the ease in upgrades, though.  Yes, I've read about RPM upgrade systems
 JP> that have come out recently that are described as being as nice as
 JP> dselect.  Last fall, dselect and the difficulty of keeping the various
 JP> RPM variants provided me with a compelling reason to switch to
 JP> Debian.  RPM will have to improve to the point that there is a
 JP> compelling reason to change before I switch back.  Maybe kernel
 JP> configs?
 JP> --
 JP> Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
 JP> Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002
 JP> New Mexico State University          http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer
 JP> SWNMRSEF:  http://www.nmsu.edu/~scifair

While there was a period where rpm had a bit of colic, and its diaper
needed changing frequently, that seems to be past tense now and
everything is working rather nicely, and has been for several months.
There was a certain sequence one had to go thru to upgrade it, demanding
that 3.0.5-9 be used as the bridge from old to new. (or at least thats
how it seemed to me)

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 500mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:52:55 GMT

In article <WUEA6.4324$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tauno Voipio wrote:

>"Christopher Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I wonder if anyone can give me a hint as to how to diagnose and/or fix
>> my problem. My Red Hat 7 system reboots spontaneously from time to time,
>> and fsck runs because the filesystem was not cleanly unmounted. There
>> are usually fsck errors. It is as if someone pressed the reset switch on
>> the PC. It always happens on some sort of user input: a mouse click,
>> usually, or a page up keystroke.
(...)

>Quite often unexpected hardware resets come from the power supply. Is it
>*surely* sturdy enough?

Well, this is not a heavily loaded system. Besides, wouldn't power
issues be too far removed from user gestures? The system never blows
up when unattended, even when running cron jobs like backups with my
CDRW. It only reboots on user activity from a mouse or keyboard. This
is usually unpredictable, but there is specific user/GUI activity that
reliably cause a reboot.

I have tried disabling power saving, apmd etc to no avail. While I
doubt if power is the issue here, I will keep your comment in
mind. Please keep the speculation coming. At this point, I'm on the
verge of getting a new motherboard. Thanks for your suggestion.

Chris

------------------------------

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: suggestions needed about backup
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:42:30 -0400

Well, thank you everyone for your help.  I (finally) put together a few
scripts that use afio to backup my 300+ GB to 3 80 GB IDE drives.  I made
each archive file have a filesize limit of 1 GB, to avoid upgrading to
glibc-2.2.2 issues.  If anyone is interested in seeing the scripts, I'd be
happy to show you.

I appreciate the help,
Ken