Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:05:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

>       Actually, Linux was forked several times in the process
>       of moving to new platforms and continues to be. Linus
>       himself even considers this a 'good thing'.

Because it usually gets merged back to the "official" Linux by the
next [0-9]\.[02468] release.

--
Eric P. McCoy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

non-combatant, n.  A dead Quaker.
        - Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

------------------------------

From: Nick Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backup PSX cd in Linux?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:05:34 GMT

You can backup PSX discs using cdrdao.

------------------------------

Subject: avi to mpg video conversion?
From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 May 2000 17:08:06 -0500

I know of a windows app avi2mpg which is freeware.  Is anyone aware of
a similar utility that runs under linux?  I know xanim has an
exporting edition that can do avi to quicktime (but I haven't gotten
it compiled yet -- problems with export_data unresolved reference),
but that's not really what I'm looking for anyway.

Any support for Matrox's MJPEG under linux?

Thanks,
John Hunter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Slackware or Debian
Date: 24 May 2000 22:15:31 GMT

On 24 May 2000 08:52:15 -0400,
 Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:
>
> > >i know what you mean.  redhat's init and config script rat's nest is
> > >particularly hard to navigate.
> >
> > It's basically System V-style; BSD bigots tend to find the linkages
> > irritating, and it is, to some extent, but not much moreso than any of
> > the other Linuxes using SysV-style init.
>
> it's not the sys-v stuff with links from /etc/rc.d/init.d stuff to
> /etc/rc.d/rcN.d.  that part i think is very well done.  it accomodates
> machine install (it's easier to (over)write a file than edit/hack
> one).
>
> the part i find confusing is the redhat /etc/sysconfig heirarchy.
> that contains a giant spaghetti of bash scripts calling each other.
> that's the rat's nest i was alluding to.

And doing so inconsistently. :)

As I recall in 5.2 there was a variable (something like 'UTC' was the
name):  in the spagehetti code it was assigned the value of 'YES' to
have the system clock in UTC.  rc.local (local?  wtf is all this stuff
doing here if this is for local hacks?  I didn't put it there!)
checked to see if it was 'TRUE'....  The way bash works, TRUE != YES.

It's not fun trying to hunt down such junk.  It's not fun digging
through "oh, what the hell, it's too hard to clone another sysv-ish init
script, let's just shove it here!" looking for things.

We won't get into other oddities like how you must give your machine a
proper name or it will rename itself whenever it gets online... and god
forbid running Xauth while doing that, since part of the token is the
hostname....  You have to unbury a script somewhere in /etc to make it
stop doing that.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Beno=EEt?= Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting CD-ROM
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:14:53 +0200

Greetings,

I would like to know if there is some way to allow mounting a CD-ROM as
a non-root user.

--

Benoît Smith
Just a Rhyme Without a Reason

------------------------------

From: Flemming Bjerke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice and Red Hat 6.2
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:28:25 GMT

==============BA0D8B0E6DDBA7E4095ABD28

George Bell wrote:

> Showoff!!!  All I have is a little old AMD K6-2 300 MHz 62k.
>
> Duane wrote:
>

> > 32 MB of RAM? Ouch. Can't say for sure that this is your problem, but
> > Staroffice is a MAJOR memory hog. I suppose lots of swap space should
> > take care of that, but...(shudder)
> >
> > Just starting Staroffice up consumes greater than 23 MB on my machine,
> > and try opening a simple application and we are now over 28 MB. Opening
> > takes a significant amount of time even on my 700MHz Athlon with 256 MB
> > of PC133 SRAM, and 7200 RPM disks with 32 bit transfers and DMA enabled.
> > I would guess that running on your machine would be painful at best.
> >
> > >   A friend runs 5.1 on Red Hat 6.1 and has no problems.  I can run the
> > > Windows version with no problems.
> > >   After I had tried the 5.1 version and encountered these difficulties, I
> > > sent a message to Sun's support folks and they said 5.1a would cure the
> > > problem.  I downloaded.  It didn't make any difference.
> > >   Suggestions?
> > >
> > > -- Ron
> > > Hamilton, ON
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > --
> > My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

I have installed staroffice 5.1 on two machine with Red Hat 6.2: 233 Mhz K6 with
128 MB RAM: works fine.
150 Mhz AMD 32 MB RAM: hopeless slow. The RAM is the problem.

Flemming

==============BA0D8B0E6DDBA7E4095ABD28

begin:vcard
n:Bjerke;Flemming
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note;quoted-printable:Hyldebjerg 67=0D=0A4330 Hvals=F8=0D=0A46409102
x-mozilla-cpt:;-11968
fn:Flemming Bjerke
end:vcard

From: Flemming Bjerke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting CD-ROM
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:29:38 GMT

==============6AC419B441A71AAC68567AB0

Benoît Smith wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I would like to know if there is some way to allow mounting a CD-ROM as
> a non-root user.
>
> --
>
> Benoît Smith
> Just a Rhyme Without a Reason

Have You looked at the permissions on /dev/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom?

Flemming

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 24 May 2000 17:20:24 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> If that hardware is present, then those packages are REQUIRED. If the
>> hardware isn't there then those packages are a waste of space (and on
>> the system I was complaining about, it was more than 1% of the available
>> disk space for ISDN4LINUX alone - that's space I can't spare).
>
>Well, you can always remove them.  I see your complaint, though.

This kind of stuff really should be done at boot-time, since you
can always install the card after you install the system.  Won't
kudzu notice and do something sensible?

  Les Mikesell

From: Chris Norris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: removing LILO from mbr
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:30:02 GMT

I have read sevral times that I can remove LILO from the mbr by using the
command "fdisk /mbr" from a DOS prompt. This will replace the mbr with
DEFAULT values. What I would like to know before doing this is, will these
default values overwrite my partition information, restoring my disk to
its original "whole disk" partition?

thanks, Chris

From: Flemming Bjerke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome graphical ppp dialer  ?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:37:18 GMT

==============37F3590EF2C301D9A06A05A9

Brian Moore wrote:

> I just reinstalled Redhat on a new disk and I can't find the little
> Gnome app I used to use to dial up a ppp interface.  Does anyone
> know which rpm it is in?  I've forgotten the name of the thing, but
> it used to appear under the "Internet" menu.  It's very simple,
> just brings up a box where you select an interface and click to
> bring it up or down.
>
> --
>
> Brian G. Moore, School of Science, Penn State Erie--The Behrend College
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] , (814)-898-6334

The name of the program can be found in Redhat's guide on www.redhat.com.
But, You can't install it because it requires another program which is
available form the CD. (Great!) When You installed Redhat, You should have
selected text installation and custom, then You can get both gnome and kde
installed, and then You had had the program. It is easier just to use
netcfg. Make a new interface (PPP, I suppose) and then edit the it.

Flemming

Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:38:45 +0200
From: Nigel Kukard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: how-to develop?

Nicola Attico wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm serching for a word of advice.
> I'm searching for a project to work at
> (starting from zero [maybe better] or
> running).
> The point is that I've not strong C
> knowledge, so I would like to learn...
> Anyway I'm not a total unable
> and I've years of experience using
> Linux and some practice in administration...
> I think moreover that the better way
> to learn how to write software is to write
> it, so I would like to learn doing it!
> So, I'm searching for a *baby* project,
> where it is possible to learn...
>
> Does it exists?
>
> Thanks,
>
>         Nicola

Are you looking for a job or just summin to do to help u learn?  :-)

Regards
Nigel

------------------------------

From: John Molitor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux + dsl + pacific bell
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:10:48 -0500

Hello,

I'm going to get Pacific Bell DSL installed in my apartment
in L.A. (I'm moving there shortly).
I asked the guy on the phone about Linux support,
and he didn't even know what Linux was!  He asked his
boss and told me that Linux is not supported at this time.

Has anybody had success using Linux and DSL?  I know have
my network card setup properly since I use Linux on a Lan
network in my office at school.

Thanks in advance!

John Molitor

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Smith)
Subject: Re: Changing case of first letter in filename
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 23:17:46 +0100

On Tue, 23 May 2000 21:04:12 GMT, apswartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need help finding the appropriate command to change the case of the
>initial letter of multiple filenames...
>e.g. from sample.txt to Sample.txt
>
>In DOS I would have done something like...
>copy a* A*
>
>Linux commands cp mv ln don't work on multiple files unless the
>destination is a directory. I need the files to be in the same
>directory. Links are preferable.
>
>Help point me in the right direction.

It's a simple script.
=====
#!/bin/sh

for FILE in "$@"
do

FIRSTCHAR=`echo "${FILE}" | cut -c1`
REST=`echo "${FILE}" | cut -c2-`
CAPSCHAR=`echo "${FIRSTCHAR}" | tr a-z A-Z`

mv "$FILE" "${CAPSCHAR}${REST}"

done
=====

--
|Colin Smith:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |   Windows 2000    |
|My Freeserve web pages:                         |        AKA        |

------------------------------

From: Kari Pahula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to use mknod to create /dev/one
Date: 24 May 2000 22:47:22 GMT

Geoffrey Steeves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm trying to create a device file like /dev/zero, except instead of
>returning a zero I want the file to return the byte 255.  I've read the
>man and info pages on mknod, and everything is clear, but I don't know
>anything about what major and minor number to use.  ANy help would be
>great.  Thanks.

Device minor and major numbers just give information to the kernel
about the services requested.  If you really want to have a device,
that returns 255's, you'd have to tinker with the kernel, since there
is no such service present in the kernel.

Are you sure you couldn't use a FIFO instead?

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Beno=EEt?= Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 00:53:19 +0200

Flemming Bjerke wrote:

> Benoît Smith wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I would like to know if there is some way to allow mounting a CD-ROM as
> > a non-root user.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Benoît Smith
> > Just a Rhyme Without a Reason
>
> Have You looked at the permissions on /dev/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom?
>
> Flemming

They were at 640. But changing them in any way didn't solve my issue,
because the 'mount' command is reserved to root. How should I do so that the
'mount' command (that is in /bin) is available to a non-root user ?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 24 May 2000 22:56:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <8ghffc$l6s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>: This is fine for the handful of people who are working to solve
:>: current bugs.  It is not so fine for the millions of people who
:>: are trying to work around what should be well understood bugs
:>: in released versions.
:>
:>They wouldn't know a bug if it bit them in the nose and deleted every file
:>whose name ends in "e".

: Beg your pardon?  Do you think no one cared about the e2fs bugs
: causing data to be lost on systems running 2.2.7 (or so, it is
: hard to get good info) to 2.2.10 kernels?

They would have cared if they had known what they were seeing or
even if they had seen it. Did any distro ship with 2.2.7? (I waited
till 2.2.10 before judging 2.2. was safe). If so, there's the distros
frontlining job ready and waiting to be done. If not, it's the experts
job, and they'll mail a bug report to the kernel list.

Note that "caring" is an idea introduced by you. I was talking
about noticing.

:>It's the kernel developers and maintainers who
:>are interested in the bugs ,and they're interested in _getting_ bug
:>reports, because that's the hard bit.

: Then a central repository would be a good thing.

Why? How does having a central repository increase the number of bug
reports received by maintainers? I'd be interested to know, since
part of your argument seemed to be that it would reduce the number.
Are you shifting your accounting methods? That's OK, but make it plain.

:>They contact the newsgroup defence line for their distro. Kernel
:>list lurkers  often answer there, if required, but 9999 times out of
:>ten thousand, they are looking at an application bug or a distro bug
:>or a configuration bug.

: Nice try.  How about NFS?

How about it. You are saying that no distro comes with NFS ready to go?
Well RH claims to, but we know that's not really so. Anyway - what's
wrong with NFS? I've been running NFS with fanouts of 40+ for 7
years now. Yeah, it's been slow, yeah it has strangenesses, but that's
nfs, not linux, by and large. The only bug I've seen lately is one
about creating a directory with perms 700 and then trying to run
chmod a+rx on it on the client! No dice.

:>You miss my point. I am saying that a kernel bug is INTRINSICALLY hard
:>to define. How do you know if the kernel is wrong? What is the standard
:>against which you are measuring it?

: The usual practice is to build regression tests for as much as
: possible so you actually have an answer for this.  The people

Unfortunately that does not tell you anything. Change is often
what was intended. The previous behaviour of the kernel is not
the standard for the future behaviour. The kernel has started
downing the whole interface when you down an alias of a net
interface, for example. Is this a bug? (I have been dealing with
this heavily today). Not according to most people on the kernel
lists.

: doing bug tracking then can also tell when it is fixed and
: close the problem.
:
:>It might be a legitimate behaviour,
:>and it might be the application that is broken. Nobody except a real
:>real expert can tell, and even then it's only an opinion. Lusers have
:>not a hope.

: Can you imagine the response if this particular comment appeared
: in a Microsoft knowlege base?

No. I honestly can't imagine philosphical or theoretical points
appearing in a M$ base. They appear to be about user perceptions.
Thus they don't rise above the intellectual level of an anthill.

: I think you underestimate the number of people who need this kind
: of answer or the time it would take to supply the correct ones.

I don't. I answer about 100 mails a day. Probably half of those dealing
directly with codes I maintain. Most of the rest are dealing with
conversations over other codes, other peoples bugs, projects past
and present, articles, etc. etc.

:>: And this is the list that you are suggesting that end users or
:>: administrators would use to see if a bug is already known?
:>
:>You are purloining my words and selling them cheaply, while mixing
:>my aphorisms ...  I am telling you that the end users can go dance in
:>hell, because you have a straw man there.

: Great.  Just don't suggest Linux as an alternative to supported
: systems without letting people know what they are getting into.
: I happen to enjoy a challenge myself, but that isn't true for
: everyone.

As you know, it's a very heavily supported system. You find a bug,
why, just mail the maintainer concerned. They'll be happy to help
you out. No walls of secrecy.

:>If they're real interested they can sign up to
:>the list or browse archives on deja.  At several hundred mails a day,
:>they'll be looking till kingdom come!  If they're less interested they
:>can ask on a newsgroup, and let somebody who is filtering the stuff
:>through his brain answer.  And they can check the newsgroup archives
:>too!  Have a look at c.o.l.s.  If they're really sure enough of
:>themselves to think they have detected a bug, they can post the mailing
:>list or the maintainer concerned.  It is usually polite to post the list
:>first to get general feedback.  If the resulting furore gets loud enough
:>the maintainer will pick it out of the kernel list noise and come
:>looking for you.

: Do you mind if I quote this the next time someone asks if Linux
: is suitable for some particular job?

Sure. It's an excellent recommendation. You have wonderful full
contact with the developers themselves! Wow! None of that dealing
with idiot desk staff.

: Once upon a time I tried to run a windows program under VMWare
: that listened to a network broadcast.  It didn't work.  Why
: was it impossible at the time for me to find out that there
: was a problem with the eepro100 and multicasts and thus
: didn't have anything to do with VMWare?  (I only know now because

It became known to those of us on the lists that the eepro100 has a
limit of three hardware-serviced addresses. Anything more needs
a firmware trick and there are firmware bugs connected with it.
I.e. you should limit the hardware filters to three by telling the
driver so. It took a looong time to discover the bug. And whose bug is
it? Intel's? Donald's?

The multicast problem is not necessarily due to the eepro100, BTW.
There has been a longstanding bug conected with bridging and multicast.

: I noticed the fix mentioned in a changelog sometime since, and
: it does work correctly now).

It's been getting more and more fixed for a long time, as the eepro100
behaviour becomes better understood. But the bug is not in the driver.

:>If you volunteer to host a bugtracker, btw, everyone will be happy.
:>It's no skin off anyone's back.  But getting people to actually
:>use it is a social problem you should solve!

: OK, the fact that no one wants to do it is a legitimate issue for
: an all-volunteer effort. But you could have admitted that in
: the first place instead of trying to claim that it is not
: needed or wanted.

It is not needed and not wanted. There! And the reason is not that nobody
wants to set it up, but that nobody wants to be constrained to use it.

Sure, start one up, but don't expect it to be used exclusively. I don't
kow what the effect would be. I think it wouldn't catch on.

:>The plain fact is that
:>point bugs are found and solved in hours .. way faster than a
:>bug tracking system can get in on.

: How many releases contained the e2fs bug?  I don't think any

I don't know. I never bothered to look at 2.2.* until I judged that
the bug-find rate had dropped to "safe".

: 2.2.x kernel has had kernel NFS right.  Bugs are going to crop up

It's fairly right. Clearly faster than 2.0.* NFS. I've managed
to make it more reliable than 2.0.* NFS by using the autofs to
unmount everything at first opportunity. The fact that the kernel
nfs daemon can't do as much as the old user space one is something
I work around by running 2.0.* servers and 2.2.* clients. It ain't
broke ..

: everywhere and people have to know about them to avoid and
: work around the problems.

But these are not kernel "problems". They are simply characteristics of
the present linux behaviour. They have to be learned in the same way as
always. Are you saying that the raw admin has no way of finding out that
the rest of the world doesn't trust knfsd? He also has no way of
finding out that admining solaris nis+ is a nightmare best left
untouched. Except that he has. And has. In both cases he can go and ask
on the newsgroups. Same as always.

:>And the n-n communication is part of
:>that. It's Linus' "all bugs are visible to many eyes" line. Put
:>up a bugtrack system and you reduce the coommunication to n-1. You
:>isolate the developers from each other. That's no good.

: Just the opposite.  I generally assume that there are enough other
: people reporting bugs and just try to work around them.  If there
: were a handy way to see the known bugs for any version, I would
: know when I hit something new and go to the effort of reporting it.

The known bugs for the kernel are listed by alan. The known bugs for
parts of the kernel are on the respective pages, usually. And nothing is
stopping YOU collecting the bug reports and listing them. Everyone
will thank you. They just won't rely on your list to be either truthful
or accurate or comprehensive or up to date.

Ask yourself "bugs known by WHOM"?

:   Les Mikesell
:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]