Linux-Misc Digest #589, Volume #26               Tue, 19 Dec 00 13:13:01 EST

Contents:
  netscape.rpm (Christian Wenz)
  nfs/rpc problems (ekk)
  Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  install the netscape-browser !! (Christian Wenz)
  kernel recompilation error (maher abedib)
  Re: Mandrake and 3D Labs Problem ("Chris")
  Re: Do Linux ext2 partition need defrag? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mandrake goes crazy (Andrew Purugganan)
  Re: sendmail ("Igor Borisovsky")
  Weird problem with gFTP! (Eirik Newth)
  Re: Need MINIMAL Linux for a laptop dinosaur... (D'Arque Bishop)
  Re: netscape.rpm (Paul Lew)
  Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: netscape.rpm (Jan Schaumann)
  Re: lilo warning : device 0x3030 cylinder exceeed 1024 ("Tauno Voipio")
  Glibc-2.2.x install? (John Dixon)
  Re: Sound editing software ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problems installing Mandrake 7.2 with Tyan Trinity 400 (VIA chipset) ("wackman")
  Re: RH6.1/586 binaries won't load on RH7/686?
  redhad-rpms (Christian Wenz)
  Re: Do Linux ext2 partition need defrag? (Floyd Davidson)
  using elm with pop3 and smtp.....?? (Lee soonki)
  mkbootdisk errors: vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 not found (jgiles)
  Mr. No swap ("Dan Jacobson")
  Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...) (Steve)
  Re: module net-pf-10 (Paul Kimoto)

From: Christian Wenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netscape.rpm
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:16:41 +0100

i like to install of an netscape.rpm-package only the netscape-browser
not the composer and the other stuff.
how can i do this ???

------------------------------

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nfs/rpc problems
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:07:07 -0500

Hello,
Is there an nfs bug in 2.2.16?  When I try to mount a network drive on a
machine running RH 6.1, 2.2.16 with knfsd-1.4.7-7 from a box running RH
6.0 2.2.14 with knfsd-1.2.2-4 using 'mount -t nfs locust:/home/kim
/nfs/locust', I get an error:  'mount: RPC: Program not registered'.  It
works when I try to mount another network drive running the kernel
2.2.14, RH 6.1, and knfsd-1.4.7-7.  The only apparent difference is the
kernel version.  Is this fixed in the released kernels, or do I need to
try 2.4?
Thanks,
Ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Pb with RealTek LAN Adapter
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:19:38 GMT

In article <91nplr$4v6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Nicolas VIGOGNE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just want to submit you a little problem :
> I can't ping any host on my LAN with a RealTek 8029 adapter under
Mandrake
> 7.2.

What driver are you using?  Is it compiled into the kernel or a module?

> Here are the symptoms : configuration is OK through netconf or
DrakConf. But
> when I try to type an "ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ...", system
replies
> "Ressource temporary Unavailable".
>
> I can ping myself, but I can't see any other Win98 hosts with fixed
> adresses.
>
> What's the matter ?
>
> Nicolas

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Christian Wenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: install the netscape-browser !!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:37:27 +0100

i like to install the netscape-browser of a rpm-package, but only the
browser.
no composer, no messenger !!!
is their a way to do this via rpm ???

------------------------------

From: maher abedib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel recompilation error
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:52:10 +0800

Hi,

I have diffuculties to comprehend this error message after several times
customizing the kernel 2.2.17.
Can anyone highlight something what is wrong with the kernel..

Here is the output:

In file included from radio-miropcm20.c:13:
../sound/lowlevel/miroaci.h:9: #error Compiling a driver that needs the
ACI-mixer but without ACI-mixer support
radio-miropcm20.c: In function `pcm20_mute':
radio-miropcm20.c:33: warning: implicit declaration of function
`aci_write_cmd'
radio-miropcm20.c: In function `pcm20_setfreq':
radio-miropcm20.c:73: warning: implicit declaration of function
`aci_write_cmd_d'
radio-miropcm20.c: In function `pcm20_getsigstr':
radio-miropcm20.c:81: warning: implicit declaration of function
`aci_indexed_cmd'
make[2]: *** [radio-miropcm20.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.17/drivers/char'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_char] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.17/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

Thank you very much.

regards,

maher

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake and 3D Labs Problem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:51:35 +1100

Thanks Kae, I tried it but it still did not work
looks like I'm going to have to get another video card
just to use linux and maybe a seperate box as a server
while I'm at it.

Many thanks

Chris

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Do Linux ext2 partition need defrag?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:49:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > So I think that Linux would benefit more from a properly
> > defragmented filesystem.

> Have you ever measured it? Have you run a reasonable benchmark (a
> heavily IO-dependent program that runs for a long time compared to
> getting it into memory at startup) both before and after
> defragmentation of the file system where its data reside?

Under Linux: not in detail  8-S  Still seeking a capable I/O benchmark
(for the console) which measures harddisk and network performance. Any
tips?

Nevertheless, the benefit in saving harddisk seeks while scanning
through directories is easily perceivable. I suppose about 10% to 30%
higher speed (and lower noise, both depending on what kind of harddisks
you use) when trying to find files and maybe between 1% and 4% when
sequentially reading the files. (Compared to a rather fragmented
filesystem).

Some people even reported some higher values (much more than 10%), but I
wouldn't like to overstate it. In general, the values should be
comparable between all filesystems. You probably shouldn't expect
general speed improvements of 50% or more in any real-world scenario, no
matter which filesystem you use (though such a scenario could be
constructed). And don't forget the cache, which usually assists indeed.

> You should be able to defragment easily enough by copying the entire
> file system to a backup file system, tape, or whatever, unmounting
> the file system, doing a mkfs on the partition, and then restoring
> the file system from the backup.

Backups are always a great idea  8-)  , but they can't really help on
file fragmentation. It used to work basically on dumb filesystems like
(V)FAT, where all new files were usually put side by side when restoring
them from a backup onto an empty disk. Nevertheless, using that way,
only the files were restored unfragmented while the directories were
usually not. Most programs didn't create them in advance but just when
they were encountered during the restore. That means, that directories
were scattered heavily across the disk.
Filesystems like ext2fs and NTFS4 use to scatter even files across the
disk when writing them one by one. This leads to file fragmentation
earlier than it would do on old, dumb filesystems. Especially when
smaller and larger files are admixed and the disk is more than about 50%
filled. This method may still alleviate file fragmentation a bit but it
can't replace the fundamental need for defrag programs. Besides,
defragmenting should still be faster than a complete backup and restore,
no matter to what extent the disk is fragmented.

Have a nice day.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: Mandrake goes crazy
Date: 19 Dec 2000 15:41:34 GMT

A.Bev ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

[ Well i have this tiny little question about my Mandrake box. I noticed
[ that 7.2 always runs something when you first boot up your machine and
[ the HDD "works" for about 1-2 minutes. I'm not sure what it is (if
[ someone could give me a hint..thnx). But yesterday it went crazy, when i
[ logged into X, 1 minute later my HDD begun to work (like everytime), but
[ this time it totally freezed my mouse and keyboard. I couldn't even kill
[ X etc etc. From time to time the mouse movements (in the buffer) were

It's nothing new with 7.2, mine is a 6.0 Mandrake box, and I've seen X go
haywire a lot. A lot of the time, I had Netscape open, an old 4.6
edition. I've posted a couple of times. I just paid a visit to

      mandrakeuser.org (good site for LM users)

and it has tips for keeping X usage lean n trim in resources. From what
I've read, it was more likely the lethal combo of X AND Netscape having
my swap space for lunch

sorry can't help you much but you might want to check it out as well
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: "Igor Borisovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:43:54 +0300

> Do you mean:
>
> Is it possible to configure sendmail so that when it sends (or do you
> mean receives) mail, that the subject line is changed?
You are right.. I mean when a sendmail sends mail.

> I do not understand why you would want to change the subject lines. The
> place to do it would probably be in the client (e.g., mail, elm, mutt,
> etc.) anyway, and not in sendmail.
This is a project requirements.

------------------------------

From: Eirik Newth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Weird problem with gFTP!
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:18:33 +0100

Hi,

I have the strangest problem with gFTP (ver. 2.0.7.b running on a Red
Hat 7.0 PC system): when I transfer HTML files from my website to the PC
the content is corrupted. HTML tags (especially links) are partially
copied and pasted randomly, and the file size increases by a couple of
hundred bytes.

Upon starting gFTP prints the message  "Opening BINARY data mode", and
in fact images do not seem to be affected. Changing to ASCII transfer
mode does not help, BTW.

Any suggestions for a solution or a link to a more stable/compatible FTP
application is appreciated.

TIA,

Eirik Newth

---

The Seven site: http://newth.net/psion7

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D'Arque Bishop)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Need MINIMAL Linux for a laptop dinosaur...
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:10:26 GMT

Heys Kevin,

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kevin Croxen wrote:
>Give a read-through to the 4MB Laptop How-To (available, among other
>places, at:  http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/4mb-Laptops.html )
>
>The author uses Slack 7.0; the how-to might be of use in your situation.

Beautiful!  This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Thanks to everyone who
answered me question. :)

        "Do you see the smile in my words, sad and evil?  Sad because
        I am utterly alone.  Evil because I am dead and yet I live.
        Can you hear me?  Listen.  A dead man visits you."
                                       --James O'Barr, The Crow

                 D'Arque Bishop -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    http://www.ravenloft.net/~drkbish

        "For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the
        darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him."
                                   -- from Noctropolis: Night Vision

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: netscape.rpm
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:47:18 GMT

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:16:41 +0100, Christian Wenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i like to install of an netscape.rpm-package only the netscape-browser
>not the composer and the other stuff.
>how can i do this ???

Suggest you just go to netscape and get the navigator *.tar.gz file and
uncompress/untar/install; the "latest" navigator browser only for linux
is 4.76.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:49:25 GMT

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:19:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> I can ping myself, but I can't see any other Win98 hosts with fixed
>> adresses.
>>
>> What's the matter ?
>>
>> Nicolas

You are running Linux, which is an inferior operating system.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:56:23 GMT

* Paul Lew wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:16:41 +0100, Christian Wenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >i like to install of an netscape.rpm-package only the netscape-browser
> >not the composer and the other stuff.
> >how can i do this ???
> >

> Suggest you just go to netscape and get the navigator *.tar.gz file and
> uncompress/untar/install; the "latest" navigator browser only for linux
> is 4.76.

Is there no NS6.0 browser only? yeah, there is, I think. IIRC, when I installed
it, I could choose which components I wanted it to isntall. Not that I
recommend it (or any other Netscape - I use links
(http://links.sourceforge.net))...

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>
Fry: "You know what I like best about you, Umbrielle? You find me

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo warning : device 0x3030 cylinder exceeed 1024
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:00:35 GMT

"Anson Ho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:91mh4l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi ,
>
>      I just install a new IBM 307040 harddisk and I install REDHAT 6.2 on
> hda3. When I install LILO, warning message displayed warning as captioned,
> and when I boot linux. only 'LI' display. What can I do to overcome this?

When booting up LILO needs to access the disk via BIOS calls. The BIOS disk
interface can only access disk cylinders 0 - 1023. The problem is in the way
the boot-up disk access is defined in the BIOS - the loader or OS can do
little at it.

You should have a small (8 - 16 MB) partition at the very beginning of the
disk (starting from cylinder 0) which is for Linux ext2 filesystem and to be
mounted as /boot. All files LILO needs for booting up will be set up to
/boot.

There is a problem if there is already an OS (Win*** for instance) on the
disk. It is fairly probable that the other OS is occupying all of cylinders
from 0 to 1023. There are programs to move a partition. The safest way,
though, is to build the whole disk over.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: John Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Glibc-2.2.x install?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:04:35 -0800

Does anyone know how to successfully upgrade glibc-2.2 from rpm
packages?  Is it safe to use the --nodeps switch on rpm in order to
override about 100 dependencies warnings?  Many new packages will not
build without glibc-2.2, but I cannot discover a safe upgrade path.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sound editing software
Date: 19 Dec 2000 09:16:45 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) writes:

> I would like to get some sound editing software--ie I can read in an
> audio track say, and cut out a piece of it to then reburn to a CD.
>
> This is for teaching so I can take samples of the sound to illustrate
> various musical things.

There's a program called SoundStudio, available as source, compilable
in linux that I played around with some.  It's been awhile since I used
it (revision 0.9.1) but it had a graphical display of sound waves that
you could cut and paste.

  -- email me at rahul.net, not ragwind.local... --

------------------------------

From: "wackman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems installing Mandrake 7.2 with Tyan Trinity 400 (VIA chipset)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:25:01 GMT

I tried installing Mandrake 7.2 back when it first came out and could never
get a good install. It usually failed about 30% through installing the
packages. Sometimes it couldn't read the list of packages. Other times, I
could install everything, but then it would just crash. It would look like I
was having drive read errors, but this was just after I replaced the
motherboard, proc and CDRW. I'm sure there's no prob there.

I was able to install slackware, but I would love to go back to Mandrake.
Anybody have any recommendations with getting 7.2 installed?

Any and all help is appreciated.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.1/586 binaries won't load on RH7/686?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:30:10 -0000

This problem you are having is clearly outlined in the release notes for
7.0  RedHat used a dev. version of glib that was know not to be backward
compatible.  They have since released a new set of rpms for glib that
corrects this problem plus some security issues.  All you need to do is to
download and update - its just that simple!

From: Christian Wenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redhad-rpms
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:30:26 +0100

i work with suse 7.0 and i like to know what i have to obey if i get an
rpm-package from the redhad-homepage ???

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Dec 2000 07:45:37 -0900

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > So I think that Linux would benefit more from a properly
>> > defragmented filesystem.
>
>> Have you ever measured it? Have you run a reasonable benchmark (a
>> heavily IO-dependent program that runs for a long time compared to
>> getting it into memory at startup) both before and after
>> defragmentation of the file system where its data reside?
>
>Under Linux: not in detail  8-S  Still seeking a capable I/O benchmark
>(for the console) which measures harddisk and network performance. Any
>tips?
>
>Nevertheless, the benefit in saving harddisk seeks while scanning
>through directories is easily perceivable. I suppose about 10% to 30%
>higher speed (and lower noise, both depending on what kind of harddisks
>you use) when trying to find files and maybe between 1% and 4% when
>sequentially reading the files. (Compared to a rather fragmented
>filesystem).

Can you explain to me the benefits of low fragmentation on a
file intensive multiuser multitasking system such as any unix
is, where every x time slices for y number of different users
there is a file i/o request for a completely different file than
is being requested by any of the other users?

You do understand that the effect is *massively* fragmented file
i/o, far greater than any nominal amount of disk fragmentation
that you are speaking of.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee soonki)
Subject: using elm with pop3 and smtp.....??
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:41:49 +0900 (KST)

Hi!
I'm going to use elm as a console mail client....

In window98 outlook express can fetch mails from a remote
mail server and send mails also....

Is is possible to use elm like outlook express?
Namely, Can elm fetch mails from a remote mail server using pop3?
Can elm send mails to a remote mail server using smtp?

If possible, how can I configurate elm?
If not possible, what the other applications should I use?

Please help me~

------------------------------

From: jgiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mkbootdisk errors: vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 not found
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:34:56 GMT

I have RH 6.0 installed running kernel v2.2.17. I want to make a boot
disk for my new 2.2.17 kernel. I have a floppy in /dev/fd0 and enter
`mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.2.17` I get an error looking for
/lib/modules/2.2.17.
That dir doesn't exist because I'm not using modules in my kernel, I
turned it off.
So I mkdir /lib/modules/2.2.17 and run the same mkbootdisk command
again and it fails again looking for /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17
The only similar file is /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15, as that is the kernel
version with RH 6.0...
I guess I need this file and probably others...
When I compiled 2.2.17 I found /usr/src/linux/System.map and put it in
the /boot dir correctly... Where can I find the vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 and
any other files needed, not sure about the /boot/vmlinux-2.2.5-15...

Thanks in advance...
-jgiles

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Mr. No swap
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:55:31 +0800

"Neuromancer" said:
> ......  Also, I have NO swap (of course, I have 512MB of ram...).

What's it like living with no swap?  I suppose your disks are much quieter that
the average users'?
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ¿n¤¦¥§
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: How to drop back to X (and switch to Gnome or ...)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:23:52 -0500

* glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

<snip>
> As for getting to a console at boottime you have to edit your
> /etc/inittab file and change the Default runlevel. I believe runlevel 2
> is the one you want.  The line you want to edit is similar to this:
> id:2:initdefault:

I think you meant to say runlevel 3.

--
Steve - Toronto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: module net-pf-10
Date: 19 Dec 2000 13:04:08 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dirk Groeneveld wrote:
> My non-stistribution linux complains about a missing module called
> net-pf-10 when booting. I grepped the whole kernel 2.2.17 tree for
> net-pf-10 but couldn't find anything. What's up with it?

It's IPv6.  If the message really bothers you, put

alias net-pf-10 off

in /etc/modules.conf, or build a kernel with CONFIG_IPV6=m.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,