Linux-Misc Digest #591, Volume #24               Wed, 24 May 00 23:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  cpp problem macro expansion (Robert Schweikert)
  help - messed up silo now i cant boot (Jeff Canar)
  NEW ON-LINE LINUX BOOK ("Barry Kauler")
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (s@-)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Jim Richardson)
  Re: Printing man pages (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Netscape 4.72 bus error...YIPEE! ("Brian E. Seppanen")
  Re: linux + dsl + pacific bell (Robert Heller)
  Re: Linux On Laptop (Robert Heller)
  ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mounting CD-ROM (Steve)
  Re: avi to mpg video conversion? (Steve)
  Re: Mutt and "word wrap" (Steve)
  Re: How do I install a .tar.gz (Steve)
  RedHat 6.1 Software RAID-1 Degraded After Reboot (Steve Bonds)
  Run a Java program at Startup. (Eric)
  Turbo Linux Boot Disk ??? (Joseph White)
  fixed: Re: help - messed up silo now i cant boot (Jeff Canar)
  Re: Can't run Netscape?? ("Brian E. Seppanen")
  Re: ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Run a Java program at Startup. (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Backup PSX cd in Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Add new Font problem? (Joseph White)

From: Robert Schweikert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cpp problem macro expansion
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:11:33 -0400

Hello,,

The following example for cpp produces the wrong result:

#define SL(name) name.sl
ExeName(cls/impl,  (cls_initialize, SL(HKScls)))

Putting this code into a file, lets say cppTest.cpp and running cpp as
follows

cpp cppTest.cpp trial.txt

produces the following expansion in trial.txt

# 1 "cppTest.cpp"

ExeName(cls/impl,  (cls_initialize,  HKScls .sl ))

This is obviously wrong, my macro has nothing in it that says "add a
space to name". I know that I can concatenate with the
"##" but this forces me to add an "if defined" in my directive file,
which is not what I would like to do as other
pre-processesors (HP, IBM, SGI) understand the macro and return the
following:

ExeName(cls/impl,  (cls_initialize,  HKScls.sl ))

Which is corect (no space between HKScls and .sl)

Is there a flag that I can set on cpp to do this right, I tried
-traditional already with no success? I looked at the doc but I
couldn't find anything that pointed me in the right direction.

I am running RH6.2 and gcc2.95. Is this a plain bug? And if so can
someone point me to the code in cpp where macro
expansion takes place?

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         LINUX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Canar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: help - messed up silo now i cant boot
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 01:12:09 GMT

I added what i thought was a legitimate option to my silo.conf file,
but it was not, and now my sparc classic won't boot.  It reports that
the silo.conf contains a bad option, and then kicks me to a boot
prompt, with some very complex instructions for booting (which i do
not really understand).

I have the redhat sparc cdrom, so i can boot with it and get a
linux=single boot prompt, so i was hoping to find and edit the
silo.conf file to take out the bad option:  My questions:

(1) how do i go about editing the silo.conf file?  I know i have to
mount something to somewhere (as per the 'forgot root password' faq
answer), but i can't really figure out how this mount works, and how i
can use an editor from the single boot prompt.  When i try to use vi,
the computer reports 'vi' as an unknown command.

(2) is there an easier way to resolve this?  i don't want to reinstall
the whole system again.

------------------------------

From: "Barry Kauler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: NEW ON-LINE LINUX BOOK
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:04:15 +0800

This is a work-in-progress.
Look at the first three chapters, covering
installation and getting started for newbies:

http://www.crosswinds.net/~goosee/

Regards,
Barry Kauler

------------------------------

From: s@-
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 24 May 2000 17:27:40 -0700

In article <8ghj45$212b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>In article <8ghffc$l6s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>You miss my point. I am saying that a kernel bug is INTRINSICALLY hard
>>to define. How do you know if the kernel is wrong? What is the standard
>>against which you are measuring it?

>The usual practice is to build regression tests for as much as
>possible so you actually have an answer for this.  The people
>doing bug tracking then can also tell when it is fixed and
>close the problem.

heh, you are asking linux programmers to use modern software
engineering methods like bug-tracking system and regression
testing??  nice try.

A regression test suite is of utomost importance. Can someone
tell me where is one to test the ethernet driver for linux? I just
made changes in one and I want to make sure I did not break
something, how do I know?

I tell you, based on the answers I see here, I just wonder
how Linux even works based on the type of people who seem
to work on it. It seems like the most sloppy development
software project ever created, and it seems to attract
the kind of programmers to have no clue about what is
software engineering is all about.

May be IBM will take it over one day, and clean this mess out,
and put some real engineering process to it.

s/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:05:45 -0700

On 24 May 2000 05:40:13 GMT,
 Peter T. Breuer, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In comp.os.linux.misc Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: The problem with ./configure;make;make install is that it has no
>: dependency checking for upgrades and removals. I can't check what program
>
>Eh? Some of us do make file lists for the software we install, you know!
>I have no problems with dependencies.
>
>(check out man find .. -cnewer, and mkpkg).
>
>Peter

Sure, you can replicate the functionality in RPM or Deb easily enough, but
not with just the ./configure;make;make install mentioned. (At least not
without the connivence of the writer of the ./configure script.) RPM allready
has this ability. Granted, it's not flawless, but no system is.
RPM is far easier for the newbies, and has useful  features for those who
need them.

 I wouldn't mind tinkering with a python based packaging system though.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Printing man pages
Date: 24 May 2000 21:41:49 EDT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 00:36:34 GMT, Brian
<<mA_W4.5405$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I know I have read this somewhere but I cannot find it now.
>How do I print a man topic so it is properly formatted on my printer?
>When I send it to the printer, it appears with doubled letters, etc.  What
>is the correct command; i.e  man grep | lpr ..........?

man -t FOO | lpr -Pprinter1

takes the man page for FOO, formats it into Postscript using groff, and
pipes it to lpr, which in this example prints to "printer1".

This took about 90 seconds to find with "man man".  You may want to try
something similar next time instead of posting to usenet, if time is of
the essence...

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: "Brian E. Seppanen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.72 bus error...YIPEE!
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:40:28 -0400

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Richard wrote:

> Have you found a solution to this? I've got the same problem, and
> I don't see any replies to your question. The annoying thing is
> that the first time I installed Linux, this did not happen.

Try starting netscape with strace.

i.e.

$ strace netscape

watch the crap fly by and watch it die.   See if you can decipher whats
killing it.

I had a bus error problem a while back, it was caused by a plugin writing
a temp file writable only for root, a simple chmod solved the problem

Brian E. Seppanen

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux + dsl + pacific bell
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 01:43:27 GMT

  John Molitor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 24 May 2000 17:10:48 -0500, wrote :

JM> Hello,
JM>
JM> I'm going to get Pacific Bell DSL installed in my apartment
JM> in L.A. (I'm moving there shortly).
JM> I asked the guy on the phone about Linux support,
JM> and he didn't even know what Linux was!  He asked his
JM> boss and told me that Linux is not supported at this time.

All this means is that the Tech Support people at Pacific Bell won't be
able to give you 'hand holding' setting up your NIC under Linux.

JM> Has anybody had success using Linux and DSL?  I know have
JM> my network card setup properly since I use Linux on a Lan
JM> network in my office at school.

Sounds like you don't need help from Pacific Bell.  All DSL systems use
a 'DSL Modem', which is effectivly a modem/router in a single box -- one
end wires to the DSL/Voice spliter box and the other end is a RJ45 --
10BaseT EtherNet.  You just need to have DHCP properly installed and
configured on your computer and you are all set.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux On Laptop
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 01:43:28 GMT

  Jonid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 24 May 2000 12:30:05 GMT, wrote :

J> Hi
J> I've installed many virsions of linux on my laptop "which is Twinhead p166
J> and 16MB RAM" including mandrake, storm winlinux and redhat linux. but all
J> these virsions doesnt work on my system and it freezes on first boot after
J> the installation, during the following line:
J>
J> Starting PCMCIA.....
J>
J> What is wrong is there any problem with virsions and they are not
J> compitale with laptops. if this is the problem, which FREE virsion is the
J> best for Laptops?

I run RH 5.2 on my Laptop with no problems, including a PCMCIA EtherNet
card.  It *sounds* like you have the PCMCIA mis-configured.  Try booting
in single user mode ('linux single' at the LILO Boot: prompt) and then
checking the PCMCIA configuration settings and make sure that match your
actual setup.  You might want to visit the Linux Laptop page at
<http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/> -- it is possible
that your model of laptop is listed on this page, complete with the
proper configuration settings.

Be sure to check out the Linux Laptop HOWTO at
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html>.

J> --

                                     \/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup
Date: 25 May 2000 00:49:25 GMT

For somereason my ftp and telnet daemons are responding extremely slow.  We don't
exactly know whats going on down here.  And all of a sudden a bunch of in.ftpd and
in.telnetd and in.indentd processes are popping in the ps ax all the time.  I kill
them off but they keep coming back.  We unplugged the linux box from the network and
it stopped.   hmmm.

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Mounting CD-ROM
Date: 25 May 2000 01:10:00 GMT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 00:14:53 +0200, Benoît Smith wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I would like to know if there is some way to allow mounting a CD-ROM as
>a non-root user.

You need to add "user" or "users" in the fstab for the cdrom, my cdrom
line is:

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom   iso9660 noauto,ro,users   0 0

user means that any user can mount and unmount the cdrom drive, and users
means that it doesn't have to be the same user that unmounts the drive as
the one who mounted it.

I found that I could mount it by just typing mount /mnt/cdrom  but couldn't
unmount by using /dev/cdrom but still could unmount using umount /mnt/cdrom.
This strikes me as a bit strange and contrary to the information given in
man fstab but I can live with it.  It may just be the permissions in
/dev/cdrom as suggested by someone else's reply.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 11:51pm  up  1:17,  2 users,  load average: 1.33, 1.27, 1.11

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: avi to mpg video conversion?
Date: 25 May 2000 01:10:01 GMT

On 24 May 2000 17:08:06 -0500, John Hunter wrote:
>I know of a windows app avi2mpg which is freeware.  Is anyone aware of
>a similar utility that runs under linux?  I know xanim has an
>exporting edition that can do avi to quicktime (but I haven't gotten
>it compiled yet -- problems with export_data unresolved reference),
>but that's not really what I'm looking for anyway.
>
>Any support for Matrox's MJPEG under linux?

I think there is some stuff to do that, I had a play with it a few months
ago but didn't have any luck, there might be a bit more stuff out there
now and they might have updated the packages I tried.  Go to the POVRAY
links page and do a search:

http://www.povray.org/links/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Mutt and "word wrap"
Date: 25 May 2000 01:10:09 GMT

On Wed, 24 May 2000 13:39:38 +0000, Frank Ekeberg H. wrote:
>Is there a way to have Mutt make sure that the lines of my email messages do not
>exceed 72 characters (or whatever length I choose to use)?
>I use emacs as my editor, but other users might use other editors, and I want the
>layout of all email sent from this domain to be similar.
>If not Mutt, can Sendmail check this?

Hmm sounds like one for the mailing list, I've been all through the
man, manual and FAQ and there's nothing about it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: How do I install a .tar.gz
Date: 25 May 2000 01:10:04 GMT

On Wed, 24 May 2000 13:21:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Configure: error: no acceptiable C++-compiler found $path
>
>hehe any suggestions on a good compiler? I hehe guess that I did'nt
>install one when i was installin suse.

You'll probably have GCC on your SuSE CD. GCC is fairly standard and
is much more than just a C++ compiler, it'll do the job.

From: Steve Bonds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.1 Software RAID-1 Degraded After Reboot
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 01:59:55 GMT

RAID-1 disks come back in degraded mode after a reboot, except the root
filesystem.

Bore-O-Matic Version:

After several years of running software RAID-5 instead of investing in
reliable hard disks I finally ran out of disks and took the plunge-- I
now have two high-quality disks installed instead of the remaining flaky
disks.  I've been using RAID-5 set up to autostart ever since
raidtools-0.90 came out and it has worked well.

I set things up for my root filesystem on RAID-1, along with several
other filesystems similarly configured for RAID-1.  They all work great
except that when shutting down, all the non-root devices go into
degraded (single disk) mode and stay that way when the system is brought
up again.

I've traced the problem to the "/sbin/killall5 -9" command in the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt script.  Apparently this triggers something in the
kernel threads devoted to maintaining the RAID mirrors.  I can re-insert
the disks and synchronize the mirrors using "raidhotadd /dev/mdXX
/dev/sdYY" but this problem is annoying to say the least.

I've tried hacking the halt script to unmount and manually stop the RAID
disks prior to sending the KILL signal, but so far it hasn't worked.

Interestingly, the root filesystem (which cannot be unmounted,
obviously) doesn't suffer from the problem-- it never goes into degraded
mode.

Is this a known problem with RedHat and software RAID?  Anyone have any
good hacks to work around it?  Anyone else doing the same thing without
any problems?  How hard would it be to reconfigure RAID to ignore the
signals sent at shutdown or handle them more gracefully?

Thanks in advance for any help,

  -- Steve

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Run a Java program at Startup.
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:25:12 +0800

Would you please to teach me how can I run a Java program when Linux
startup ?
If Java program is a non-stoped program(infinite loop program), can it
run ?

Normally, I run my Java program in Terminal as  "java myProg".
What can I do if I want to run it in background when Linux startup ?
Please teach me ?

Best regards,
Eric

------------------------------

From: Joseph White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Turbo Linux Boot Disk ???
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 22:27:28 -0600

Hi All,

Have a strange problem. I created a Turbo Linux Server Boot disk, when I
try to boot it in a 60 Mhz machine I have at home, it gives me a 'Boot
Fail' right at the start. I thought I had a bad disk, or boot image not
the case though. I took that disk to school and booted a machine there
with no problems.

Next I came back to the house and tried some other Linux distros boot
disk (Mandrake and Redhat) thinking maybe I have some wrong with the A:\
, but all the other boot disk work fine in the 60 Mhz machine.

Any idea what gives?

Thanks

Gunnerjoe

--
       Joseph S. White
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Canar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: fixed: Re: help - messed up silo now i cant boot
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 02:28:50 GMT

fixed my own problem:

(1) just let the install cd boot the system

(2) after booting, switched over to the console with the bash prompt

(3) made a temp directory off of /

/temp

(4) mount /dev/sdb /temp

(5) now i could get at silo.conf

(6) found pico (editor) at

/usr/bin/pico

(7) then edited silo.conf, removing the offending option, using pico

(8) shutdown and reboot.

------------------------------

From: "Brian E. Seppanen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't run Netscape??
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:24:23 -0400

On Wed, 10 May 2000, hoffmyster wrote:

> If this file was not correct wouldn't I also be having this problem as root?
> I am not having this problem as root as you can see by my username.  I am
> getting out with Netscape just fine as root but not as a normal user or when
> I su root out of the normal user.  When I use Linux I really need to stop
> having to be root to do certain things, like this.  Those prior messages I have
> been sending as Rick Hoffman was with Windows.

Try starting netscape with strace, i.e.

$ strace netscape

look for the point where it fails and see if you can decipher why.  I was
getting a bus error with my normal user account, but not root.

The reason (Get This!) a plugin was writing a TEMP file and only root was
allowed to write to it.  chmod a+w and all was well in wellville.

Your mileage may vary :)  Try it though, its very enlightening.

Brian E. Seppanen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Date: 24 May 2000 22:35:38 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Please remember to limit your line lengths to ~75 characters/line.

> For some reason my ftp and telnet daemons are responding extremely slow.

Perhaps inetd is having a hard time resolving the names of the machines
that are trying to connect.  Do you have the names of those machines in
/etc/hosts?

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Run a Java program at Startup.
Date: 24 May 2000 22:45:39 EDT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 10:25:12 +0800, Eric
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Would you please to teach me how can I run a Java program when Linux
>startup ?
>If Java program is a non-stoped program(infinite loop program), can it
>run ?

Yes.  All Unix systems have something called "backgrounding" a process,
which you should read up on.  You start a process in the background by
appending an & to the command line.  For example, typing
netscape &
into an xterm window will start netscape, then leave the xterm usable for
doing whatever.  If you'd just entered "netscape", then the xterm would
block until you quit Netscape.

>Normally, I run my Java program in Terminal as  "java myProg".
>What can I do if I want to run it in background when Linux startup ?
>Please teach me ?

You probably don't want to run your program when Linux starts up.  You
probably want to run the program every time you log in to an X session,
and the way you do this varies with your window manager.  A sure way of
starting a program upon X login is to put the command line in ~/.xinitrc
immediately before any "exec" line.  You'd have something like:

java myprogram &
exec $WINDOWMANAGER

in ~/.xinitrc .  KDE provides a directory called ~/Desktop/Autostart where
you can put shell scripts which will be executed upon KDE startup.

If you want this program to start up every time you log in to a text
console or xterm, you'd put the "java myprogram &" line in ~/.login
(tcsh) or ~/.profile (bash).  HTH...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Backup PSX cd in Linux?
Date: 25 May 2000 02:41:31 GMT

brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2000 23:21:47 -0400,
>  Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I wonder if I can make Playstation backup cd in Linux... I think I have
>> tried to mount the playstation CDs but those CDs could not be mounted.

> No.  See http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq03.html#[3-4] for why.

For the mount part, every playstation CD I have come across has been
ISO9660, and linux should have no problem mounting them, assuming
proper file system and cd device support.  Some of them also have audio
tracks in the standard CD audio format.

jeremy

From: Joseph White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Add new Font problem?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:56:15 -0600

I have a link to a bunch of Font help at the bottom of this page.
http://www.nmia.com/~jwhite/tips.html

--
       Joseph S. White
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]